[Rumor] PS5 Plates Might Be Swappable

Aranea Highwind

I think it’d be cool if the publishers would let you send in some kind of proof of purchase and a small handing fee and order Limited Edition panels for they games. Gives me the old school Betty Crocker points or cereal box tops vibes. 

These would have been in the console design in planning so no one is out anything if this ends up being true, and will allow those who want an all black console to get just what they want without needing to buy a whole separate console once someone makes one. 

6 minutes ago, GTA_Darren said:

Just like original PS4 you can swap the cover. Pointless feature which will be removed when slim comes out.

Well, it’s not “pointless” if it provides a function. 

And it won’t be “removed” since these would still have that function if/when a slim comes out. It may not be a feature on a completely differently designed slim model, but that’s not the same thing as being removed. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think it’d be cool if the publishers would let you send in some kind of proof of purchase and a small handing fee and order Limited Edition panels for they games. Gives me the old school Betty Crocker points or cereal box tops vibes. 

These would have been in the console design in planning so no one is out anything if this ends up being true, and will allow those who want an all black console to get just what they want without needing to buy a whole separate console once someone makes one. 

Having an all Black Console PS5 would be sick. But I do agree with what you're saying.

21 minutes ago, GTA_Darren said:

Just like original PS4 you can swap the cover. Pointless feature which will be removed when slim comes out.

I don't see this as being pointless at all. I don't want a white console. I would happily swap out the panels to convert to black, or maybe something custom.

If you don't see a use for it yourself that's fine. I've never opted for a custom case or skin on my consoles previously, but I know others like to customize. So clearly it is not pointless for many users.

• Like 1

I would love to purchase a Ghost of Tsushima plate. I would love to purchase plates for my favorite games and install when I feel the need.

Normally I use decals or those printed wraps, but a complete legit plate would be sweet.

Are these swapable in the sense that this is an intended feature....or are we seeing images of how you remove them to take apart the console?

Either way, if this ends being true...I commend this. I said before I don't like the white, so if I could customize it to my liking that would be a small, but incredible feature. 

• Like 1

I think im just gonna paint on my plates. 

I do my own custom style.

I'll just have to wait til someone does it first cos no way im gonna slap some paint on without seeing the consequences. Dont want it overheating or getting into vents, cpu boards whatever. (Lol im not a tech head so i know nothing bout the inner workings)

30 minutes ago, punkshepherd said:

I think im just gonna paint on my plates. 

I do my own custom style.

I'll just have to wait til someone does it first cos no way im gonna slap some paint on without seeing the consequences. Dont want it overheating or getting into vents, cpu boards whatever. (Lol im not a tech head so i know nothing bout the inner workings)

Would love to see your previous customs.

On 28 July 2020 at 2:51 AM, diskdocx said:

I don't see this as being pointless at all. I don't want a white console. I would happily swap out the panels to convert to black, or maybe something custom.

If you don't see a use for it yourself that's fine. I've never opted for a custom case or skin on my consoles previously, but I know others like to customize. So clearly it is not pointless for many users.

I've never customized any of my consoles either, but like you, I don't want white, so I'd be more than happy if I could get something to make it actually look half-decent. Would love a Killzone/Helghast one, or a LBP/Sackboy design. Or even just purple or fluoro tennis ball green would be ok. Anything but that awful white!! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, A_Tennis_Giraffe said:

Or even just purple or fluoro tennis ball green would be ok.

I've modded several console cases, but they were all Xbox, so I didn't risk messing up something I like. My original XBOX was just an orange shell (spray painted), but my 360 got the full treatment. I cut a crop circle into the top of the case and added a clear tube leading up to a tiny space ship. The shell was purple and had some lime-green LEDs that illuminated through the crop circle design and onto the tube to make it look like it was abducting something (a cow sticker on the outside of the tube).

For whatever reason, I can't find photos of either of them. Guess I'll have to go scoop up a crusty XB1 and do a new case mod and properly document it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Helyx said:

I've modded several console cases, but they were all Xbox, so I didn't risk messing up something I like. My original XBOX was just an orange shell (spray painted), but my 360 got the full treatment. I cut a crop circle into the top of the case and added a clear tube leading up to a tiny space ship. The shell was purple and had some lime-green LEDs that illuminated through the crop circle design and onto the tube to make it look like it was abducting something (a cow sticker on the outside of the tube).

For whatever reason, I can't find photos of either of them. Guess I'll have to go scoop up a crusty XB1 and do a new case mod and properly document it.

Oh wow, that's sounds amazing ? Would have loved to see some pics of it. If you do happen to find some or you do up another one, it'd be great if you could show us all!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

The rumor was only about getting different colors. Not sure if that stretches to changing the shape as well. 

Either could work mate. If I can get it black then that would be great. I'm a grown man so all my stuff is in the living room and so a white console will stick out like a baboons arse with hemorrhoid. Black colour goes with all tech as most living room tech I buy is black.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 6:17 PM, DaveMcDamage said:

Either could work mate. If I can get it black then that would be great. I'm a grown man so all my stuff is in the living room and so a white console will stick out like a baboons arse with hemorrhoid. Black colour goes with all tech as most living room tech I buy is black.  

I've never seen your living room. I can peruse through some tech and furniture ads. A "Black and white" object isn't an outlier for tech or furniture. Even if your entire room is black, the addition of the PS5 would standout of good reason unlike your hemorrhoid analogy.