Considering a new account, did you ever think about that too?

YonahFuriae

No, I would never start a new one. I'm not a completionist, so it doesn't really bother me if I have a low percentage in games that I don't like/care about. I think keeping this account is a fun record of every game I've played, even the ones that I really didn't like and only got a single trophy. When I got my PS4, I was miserable, working a job I hated, and playing it made me feel a lot better, so I look back fondly at my entire list.

No, as impressive as a 100% completion rate sounds, I feel like it will just reduce my experience gaming by being "too perfect". I like to go into new games with the idea that i'll do as much as I can on the trophy list and enjoy challenging myself to it, but I would prefer to avoid the extensive research required for each game to confidently boot it up for the first time and have it loaded on my profile. Also just going back to older games and upping that completion % is a fun personal challenge and beating things that I couldn't beat years ago doesn't just feel like a personal achievement but also feels like an accomplishment in personal growth as a person :)

• Like 2

I absolutely aim for a 100% account. But due massive backlog i don't aim for a 100% completion atm. I just wanna make sure i am getting my online trophies out of the way and than i could focus on the 100% after. There is still a few risky games on my account i have to clean from the online, so than i could actually say i can 100% my whole account.

These are the games left on my account that i earned trophies on and that are risky and need to be cleaned from the online:

Far Cry 2

Dead Island PS3

Mortal Kombat X PS4

Evolve

Battlefield 1

Need For Speed Most Wanted DLC

Dirt Rally 2.0

I know we added eachother for Scott Pilgrim boost.

My choice if i was you, i would start a new account. I did actually also started over and i lefted behind 10.000 trophies and 200 plats. The reason was because of the unobtainables and due ending my hobby as collecting games. So i started to sell my games i did not care about and did the ones again i had done on my old account. I made huge amounds of money out of the collectors editions i owned, i saw it as a pointless hobby also was burned out from the account. I just finish the games now and sell them.

I think i really did a good step to start all over, you just need to make sure you know 100% your choice, than make the call. It wasn't easy in the beginning but it felt it was absolutely worth it.

Also send me a message on PSN about it if you wanna chat about it or Discord since we added eachother for that boost.

Edited by TazDevilz1986
  • Like 1

I regret making a couple of accounts due to my completion rate but now on my 5th PSN account which is this, I don't see the point of making a new account anymore. I just play games without 'really' caring about being a completionist. 

7 hours ago, UltraFire121 said:

So what if I did have multiple same games at once and platinum it? VN's aren't that bad and they have interesting routes for good, bad and neutral. For someone stupidity like yourself who don't like replay the platinums on same games. I enjoy what I played. Get a grip lol.

I wasn't going to reply you anymore, but I just need to clarify a lie you said about me. I like to replay games and one of the reasons I have many pending new titles is because of that. Played Steins;gate in 2013 when it was an iOS version with many glitches, then played it again after some years and soon after released for PS3, so I got it and played again. For Platinums I already got the 100% achievements of Nier, Bayonetta, Fallout 3 with all DLC on 360, and I did them on PS3 too, And a third time for the japanese version of Nier which I haven't completed yet, but is going to be my new platinum on my new profile, and I will get the western Nier one too, that makes it 5 plats of the same game, and more if it had more version as I love it so much, the difference is this is a 90h platinum, not super long to my standards, but to your 11 min plats, even with your 10 stacks of 11 min plats, added up they don't make the 10% of a short game, so if that's doing multiple plats for a "game", like I said, to each their own.

Also I didn't wanted to say I disrespect people who do that, it was 9 in the morning and had not sleep yet, I knew I felt that word was off, but I couldn't think of what I wanted to say accurately, I just wanted to say I don't share these methods. But I can't critisize them either, I think there are two mayor players here, the one who mainly play for the games yet they're completionist and want to get all trophies, and people who priorize more trophies than the games themselves, I guess the middle ground would be these who play just for the games and ignore all or most trophies if they're a waste of time, but since we're in a trophy site I'll assume there's more of the first two. I've always been a completionist, played SMTIV more hours than Persona 5, and that's a 3DS game which I dedicated more than 300 hours to, so I just like to complete everything in the games I love, trophies just make the experience more rewarding, so I can't understand why people play some games exclusively for trophies, but that's totally respectable if a high level account is what you aim for.

Yes and i have a list of old account, due to falling down the trap of playing embarrassing games just for platinums, or even cheating (socom back in the ps3 days)

Im happy now but when i look back at those accounts there are memories i dont have anymore.

But at the same time im happier now. 

Nope.  Even if I wanted to start a new account I can't think of a good username.  That has been a great deterrent until I got to a point where it would be far too much time and effort now to make a new account.

Though I will give kudos to OP for the choice of getting a 360 for Lost Odyssey because I admit that was one of the games that convinced me to get my 360 in 2010.

Edited by ladynadiad

No, for the same reasons mentioned by the above posts. Never cared much for milestones aside from platinums. I guess the idea of starting over to begin and maintain a "perfect" account doesn't sound all that appealing despite being a wannabe completionist myself. Not to mention the fear of making "mistakes" on the new account would outweigh the short term benefits of starting said account in the long run.

I suppose it all boils down to whether or not you feel your account has any redeemable qualities worthy enough to continue, which imo it does.

• Like 1

I recently did it, actually. And pretty pleased with my decision so far.

It was due to a bunch of things; I did play a lot of trash games that I wouldn't have played if it wasn't for trophies, and I'd like that when someone looks at my profile (even if it's just myself who looks at it) that they're able to discern what I'm into, what kind of games I like and whatnot. And back when I started I couldn't afford games as comfortably as I can now, I'd prioritize cheap/Plus games instead of the games I wanted to play the most, now I don't even add Plus games to my account unless I'm 100% sure I'll be playing them, whereas before I'd add literally everything free to my library.

Another is the region, a US account was my main because back then my region didn't even have a proper PSN Store, we wouldn't get sales and such so I made a US account. Now my account matches the region I reside in, and after so long it's freeing being able to use PayPal/CC to pay for my purchases lol.

People saying they wouldn't do it do bring up fair points. But it's not often you get a chance to start over, so if you want to go for it. Like someone said, you can always go back to your old account if you want to.

Your fear of spending time on games you've already completed is very real, because it's all I've done on this account with the exception of Nioh 2 lmao. That's alright though since it's games I love and I've been having a blast replaying them, so while I wouldn't call it wasted time you could definitely spend that time on games you haven't played already played.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Cassylvania said:

I've been playing Sony games for the past 10 years. For the first five years (2010-2015), I had a very bad OCD problem that led me to creating a new account every few months or so. In September 2015, I decided enough was enough and I'd stick to one account from now on, no matter what. It wasn't easy at first. I had the stupidest reasons for wanting to start over. I remember being upset about trophy screenshots and timestamps. Heck, even as late as 2017, I thought about packing it in. I have a few pieces of advice for you, since I think you're coming from a similar place.

First, your problems won't go away by starting a new account. It's delusional to think they will. I know the idea of "starting fresh" and "only playing games I really love" sounds appealing at first, but how long do you think that'll last? A few days, a few weeks, a few months if you're lucky, but you'll eventually end up facing the same problems you face now. I thought I could avoid all shitty games and only play stuff I like, but at some point, I had to take a chance with some unknown games. That's brought me to some pretty bad (and some pretty great) places. You've already accepted that you won't be trying for a 100% account, which is good, but it's okay to not like every game on your account. I despised Foul Play, Spy Chameleon, and Dead Synchronicity, but they're still a part of my gaming history. Making a new account so their images won't appear on my profile won't change that.

Second, don't create a new account for the milestones on this website. PSNP changed their milestone system years after it was implemented, screwing over many people who enjoyed planning out their milestones. It's a complete mess at this point, and the joy you get from planning out milestones will die a painful death, as you will have to wait longer and longer between each milestone. How long, you ask? I'm about 140 trophies away from 10k. At that point, my next "official" milestone won't be until 15k. That's about two and a half years. Then another two and a half years before 20k. That's two milestones in the next five years, compared to the ten I earned in the past five years. Platinum milestones work more or less the same way. It's stupid, and it's not worth creating a new account over.

Third, you have a good account. You're proud of those trophies. I would be too. If you start a new account, you're going to spend a lot of time replaying those same games. That's time you could be spending finishing up the games you have or playing something new. One thing that occurred to me is that I'm just too old to start over now. I wish I had never done it in the first place. I'm still chasing after platinums I already had and running into the same issues I was trying to run from before. The difference is I've learned to accept them. I would strongly encourage you or anybody else who is thinking about creating a new account to consider that.

God, I even sound old...

Trophies milestones were changed here? I did not know that. How were they?

This is my 3rd account and I think I've finally got it right and I' m happy with it. The first account I outgrew the name as it was a little immature, I also took a quantity over quality approach as trophies were new and shiny so wasn't too happy with that. There's a few plats I lost on that one which I wish I could have back like Killzone 2 and RDR but oh well. In total that account had 60 plats. The second one I outgrew as well, I no longer liked the name and some of the titles I had played and so on. That one had 40 plats on there. Most of which I would like to play again if I find the time which is unlikely with PS5 just around the corner. I'm really happy with my current account though and happy with the decisions I've made. Sometimes it takes you a few attempts to get it right and that's ok. Just do what will make you happy, gaming should be fun not stressful. 

• Like 1

Just now, Pottercito_ said:

Trophies milestones were changed here? I did not know that. How were they?

There used to be temporary milestones that would get changed when you reached a certain trophy count. For example, you'd get a milestone every 500 trophies until you reached 5k. Once you reached 5k, you'd only get a milestone for every 1000th trophy (and lose 500, 1500, 2500, 3500, and 4500). There were no changes after that. For platinums, you'd get a milestone every 10 platinums until 50, and then it'd change to every 25 platinums (so you'd lose 10, 20, 30, and 40). So, some people would plan out their 25th platinum, knowing that it would eventually become a permanent milestone.

Now, plat 40 is considered a milestone, plat 60 isn't, trophy 1500 is, and trophy 11000 isn't.

20 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

There used to be temporary milestones that would get changed when you reached a certain trophy count. For example, you'd get a milestone every 500 trophies until you reached 5k. Once you reached 5k, you'd only get a milestone for every 1000th trophy (and lose 500, 1500, 2500, 3500, and 4500). There were no changes after that. For platinums, you'd get a milestone every 10 platinums until 50, and then it'd change to every 25 platinums (so you'd lose 10, 20, 30, and 40). So, some people would plan out their 25th platinum, knowing that it would eventually become a permanent milestone.

Now, plat 40 is considered a milestone, plat 60 isn't, trophy 1500 is, and trophy 11000 isn't.

I believed this changed with the website overhaul back in December 2016. I might be wrong. 

You used to be able to provide tips for individual trophies (provided you earned them). There was also an average rarity statistic shown on your main profile page. 

Sly Ripper hasn’t done shit. This website also tracked anybody who played a certain game as long as you were registered and made an account. Now it only tracks people manually. 

I hate to say it, but I think Sly Ripper has stopped caring about this website.

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

I believed this changed with the website overhaul back in December 2016. I might be wrong.

I think you're right. I got my 50th platinum a couple of weeks after that update. Was not happy to see all my effort go to waste. Don't remember a single person asking for that change either.

Anyway, the moral of the story is not to base any decision on a feature of this website, because it might be changed someday. People who used to plan out their level history milestones also got screwed over because there used to a bug or a feature that made it so that if you ended up with exactly 0 points to the next level, your next trophy would be the one to show up as a milestone. That was later corrected.

1 minute ago, Cassylvania said:

I think you're right. I got my 50th platinum a couple of weeks after that update. Was not happy to see all my effort go to waste. Don't remember a single person asking for that change either.

Anyway, the moral of the story is not to base any decision on a feature of this website, because it might be changed someday. People who used to plan out their level history milestones also got screwed over because there used to a bug or a feature that made it so that if you ended up with exactly 0 points to the next level, your next trophy would be the one to show up as a milestone. That was later corrected.

I understand where you’re coming from and while I like the look of this website, it’s still missing features that were around prior to the overhaul. 

More meaningful milestones would be nice, but I’d also like trophy tips to come back. That was a neat little feature I enjoyed seeing, getting player input from people who earned a trophy in something you might be struggling with. 

What can you do? It is what it is.

• Like 2

I wouldn’t create a new profile. While there are some games that I would absolutely love to platinum again, there are a couple I have that I am proud I got the plat but I’d never want to do again. I’m not a completionist, but I am trying to go back and clean up some games that I’ve left unfinished. I do like the trophy milestones though, I’m coming up to number 50 and I’m not sure what I want to be there ? the only thing I’d change would be some of my earlier milestones before I got into trophy hunting. There’s a lot of borderlands and this war of mine on my list, so ideally I’d like some variation. I do enjoy both of those games though so it’s not a massive deal 

Honestly though if you’ve already made the new account you can always try it out and see if you prefer earning trophies over there 

• Like 2

This a new account for me, started about a month ago.

Nothing to do with missing trophies or anything like that.  My life has changed a LOT since I created my original account and I just felt a new online identity made sense.  With PS5 about to launch, now seemed a good time.

I'm really looking forward to re-platting a lot of my old games.

While you lose a lot, there are times it can make sense.  For me it was a nice assistive measure to help with some work life\mental well-being issues.  Plus, Its not like you lose your old games, you can always set your old account as primary and play them on your new profile.

Take advice on, but at the end of the day, do what works for you. 

On 8/10/2020 at 11:06 PM, Zircon_Lotus said:

No. The imperfections of my account is something that I like, otherwise it would feel too artificial. Besides I like to look at my list from time to time and reminisce. 

This is pretty much how I feel.

I used to trophy hunt a lot back when trophies first came out (evident by my profile), then I stopped for a while. Now I do it a little bit.

When I started doing it again a little bit, I thought to myself "My list isn't accurate because I stopped trophy hunting for a while". As if my current list wasn't real, or a reflection of my gaming/trophies.

But it didn't take me long to realize, yes... yes it is. That's the entire point. My list is how it is BECAUSE of decisions I made. Just like if someone buys a PS4 and makes the decision that they don't care about trophies.... plays a really hard platinum, doesnt earn the platinum, then months later, loves trophy hunting but cant get that platinum trophy. I dont know how im trying to explain it lol. Unless someone (a younger/older brother/sister, cousin, friend, whoever) went on your account without your knowledge and earned a trophy that put that game on your list.... then whatever your list is, is 100% what your list should be.

If you have a really hard platinum on your list (that you haven't earned), because you weren't trophy hunting when you played the game... then that's your TRUE trophy list, because of the back story. Like Zircon wrote.....if you create a new profile for the sake of trophies.... then those trophies will just feel artificial and not genuine.

23 hours ago, Aodir said:

Why not give it a go, make a new account and do whatever you feel like doing. Either you find it a waste of time and crawl back to your old account or it turns out you enjoy your new account more and stop playing your current profile. In the end, you shouldn't rely on other's opinions about whether or not should you do something, especially for something as trivial as a PSN profile.

Try it, you can always go back.

"you shouldn't rely on other's opinions about whether or not should you do something"

"Try it, you can always go back."

*proceeds to give his opinion*.   lol, sorry... i couldn't help but point out the irony of your comment :)

I wouldn't do it for OCD reasons, that's for sure.  I mean, I probably would have if I started hunting trophies 10 years earlier than I did with the mindset I had then (maybe it's a good thing they weren't around then, lol).  But, if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you've got to embrace the imperfections and continue on anyway, because something's always going to go wrong eventually.  Starting a new account won't change that; it'll just let you hide from it for a while.

There could be other good reasons to want to start fresh, but being like "ah, now it can finally be right" seems like a bad one that's doomed to fail sooner or later.