czDante92

Will you play the game in permdeath?  

733 members have voted

1. 1. Will you?

• I did/will do it for the trophy only
    • I did/will do it for the trophy and challenge as well
    • I won't

On 29/08/2020 at 6:43 AM, StressEater said:

I will not be going after any of the DLC trophies. I was not impressed with the game and as soon as I triggered the platinum trophy I got rid of the game.

This game is really tedious on second playthrough. Takes forever to get going. There is so much slow walking bullshit to waste your time.

I'm playing on Grounded currently without cheats for some challenge, otherwise i may fell asleep. ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MeltedDreams1 said:

This game is really tedious on second playthrough. Takes forever to get going. There is so much slow walking bullshit to waste your time.

I'm playing on Grounded currently without cheats for some challenge, otherwise i may fell asleep. 1f629.png

Yes, very much so. I had such a hard time forcing myself through it the second time to upgrade the characters. I was definitely happy to get rid of it. To be honest, the game made me want to go back and replay the first one. I guess because I wanted to see if it was as good as I remember. I just can't believe how big the gap is between the two games. 

• Like 1

I've just finished both dlc trophies. I did them separately. My grounded + playthrough time was 11 hours 46 minutes. My very light + permadeath was 7 hours 46 minutes with 38 minutes lost to death and dying 6 times. Mainly from falling or getting killed trying to rush through. I personally feel like I would have lost more time playing on grounded permadeath than just doing a second run.

I got a warning less than a month ago (first ever) talking about how trash this game is w/ its political garbage infused into it.  But abby says trans rights!   Trolling it said.   Seems...  I was right davy. :)     You can never satisfy the mob.   good luck on your intense grounded and permadeath runs guys.  What a terrible idea for a cinematic leftist progressive made tlou2.  Rip Joel.  He died to the same people trying to tear our country down.  

On 8/18/2020 at 7:15 PM, czDante92 said:

I don't like permadeath in general, but I understand the appeal of it. Do the perfect run. Know every jump. every trap, location of every enemy. I'm sure there are some games that are made for that kind of challenge, but TLoU 2 is not one of them.
I did Very Easy+ collectible playthrough combined with Chapter permadeath. As a seasoned Last of Us player, I had no problem with encounters, I found even normal difficulty first playthrough easy. But I died. I was once grabbed by Rat King, which was my mistake and I fell few times from ledges and even more times from beams, which was arguably the game's fault partly due to... imperfect platforming combined with set camera angles. Now on Very Easy (with some accessibility cheats on) it wasn't that bad, you can almost run through the most of the game, but still, the walking parts, the loadings, the flashbacks and stuff like that sucked big time. I can't even imagine setting it to act or whole game permadeath, especially on a difficulty where you have to properly scavenge (i. e. waste time).

I can see how this thread is filled with "git gud" and "platforming is fine, you suck" posts and you might be right, but the problem is that this game is very cinematic and for each hour of action there is an hour of exploring, cutscenes and those "follow npc while he talks about stuff" moments. Imagine you'll die in Santa Barbara and have to do all those parts like museum, several Sea World visits etc. all over again.
But that's just me, what are your thoughts on permadeath in TLoU2?

git gud and stop complaining.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, THEULTRAMEMELORD said:

git gud and stop complaining.

I have 100% and arguably didn't have to git gud since it was pretty easy. All I'm saying is that TLoU 2's game design is horrible for permadeath.

15 hours ago, HappyChika said:

Question- If I do a permadeath run on very light and fully upgrade my characters/weapons, will I be able to take that permadeath file into a New Game + grounded run?

Thanks in advance.

yes, think of it as NG++

I have been doing permadeath on very light+ and it's not hard at all, especially with accessibility option like magnetizing your reticle on the target, or invisible while prone...you can basically skip 4 out of 5 encounters entirely this way. I'm 3/4ths through and have only died twice (really more of a failure to save Dina, but they counted as deaths). It's cheap but I don't care, I just want the trophy out of the way.

Edited by emailking

It’s quite depressing when you’re only a minute away from the end of the chapter and you screw yourself over. Just died on Capitol Hill when you make your way past the explosive traps right at the end, threw a bottle at one which exploded another right beside me haha ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/09/2020 at 3:25 PM, Ghost_of_Gaz_ said:

Can you do this with cheats enabled like unlimited ammo, one shot, etc?

Yes you can. It's a slight workaround, but works brilliantly and you can do Grounded + Permadeath (Reset on Chapter) with ease . You need to finish Ch. 4 - The Patrol legit, as you need an encounter to activate the glitch, but there are only 8-10 enemies in the entire chapter. The original instructions say get to Ch. 8 - the Gate, but you don't need to wait that long, you can do it after finishing Ch. 4.

I found it helps immensely to also have insivible whilst prone activated (this isn't even a cheat, you can do this in Grounded anyway). It completely breaks the game as you can crawl through entire enemy encounters like some invisible snake, with a few exceptions (i.e. "scripted encounters" usually break your ability to use this).

Thread below.

Edited by PhantomFear94
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I decided to do my NG+ with perma. Died twice so far, wasting 90 mins (I accidentally fell whilst roping up an elevator and got caught in the metro horde run sequence) 

Platinums popped and I’ve lost interest (Abby day 1, just been caught by the scars) 

It’s a great game, but two back to back runs is heavy. Grounded will have to wait a while I think.

As for the whole BS below 

On 02/09/2020 at 2:46 AM, SilkyJay86 said:

I got a warning less than a month ago (first ever) talking about how trash this game is w/ its political garbage infused into it.  But abby says trans rights!   Trolling it said.   Seems...  I was right davy. :)     You can never satisfy the mob.   good luck on your intense grounded and permadeath runs guys.  What a terrible idea for a cinematic leftist progressive made tlou2.  Rip Joel.  He died to the same people trying to tear our country down.  

Not politics at all, just peoples different lifestyles that was in no way shoved down our throats. The ‘controversy’ surrounded this game on release was unfounded and put me off for months. It shouldn’t off and I’m glad I made it my 350th play milestone. 

Fantastic game 

• Like 3

On 11/16/2020 at 5:54 PM, mikem192 said:

I decided to do my NG+ with perma. Died twice so far, wasting 90 mins (I accidentally fell whilst roping up an elevator and got caught in the metro horde run sequence) 

Platinums popped and I’ve lost interest (Abby day 1, just been caught by the scars) 

It’s a great game, but two back to back runs is heavy. Grounded will have to wait a while I think.

As for the whole BS below 

Not politics at all, just peoples different lifestyles that was in no way shoved down our throats. The ‘controversy’ surrounded this game on release was unfounded and put me off for months. It shouldn’t off and I’m glad I made it my 350th play milestone. 

Fantastic game 

Exactly, different opinions crashed quite hard with this game.  I'm glad you made your own call and enjoyed it.  I'm quite passionate and intense with my values and research.  Politics aside, I do believe this game dropped the ball in many area's, which need not to expand a ton on. I believe they had a few radical progressives in the making of it and it showed.  People played it and seemed to put it away quicker than the first, that fact alone, to me said a lot.  

The first was legit amazing, hence the passion and research 'we' did.  We weren't trying to shovel anything, I promise.  There might of been shovelboardage both ways.  Just trying to bring a little light to the darkness.  Have a great week.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/19/2020 at 2:02 PM, TurtlePM said:

This might be an unpopular opinion, specially because this is a trophy hunters website, but people really like to swallow games until they get the platinum/100%. My point is: some trophies are here for "one day, when you come back to the game, here's an extra challenge". But a lot of people force themselves to do that almost in a row, finishing the game and instantly start a new game and make another huge run to get another trophy. I saw a lot of people complaining about these trophies because it requires ANOTHER playthrough, not because it's difficult.

I don't know who to explain it, but take "Detroit: Become Human" as example. People completed the game their way, then they were forced to change their choices to make the Platinum - another 2 playthroughs. Obviously the game easily becomes tedious to play following a guide for decisions, but it wouldn't be that tedious if people let the game breathe a little. And this is when, in most cases, people start to point out the cons of the game when there were none in the first playthrough. 

I spent 40 or so hours to complete TLOU2. Plus half playthrough to get all upgrades (which I haven't done yet). Suddenly we need to do another 1 or 2 playthroughs to get 100%, one month after the game release. I might do the permadeath mode for the trophy, but not now. This game needs a huge break before I jump again to another 30-40 hours of gameplay and challenge. 

Hah! Very true but the problem is sometimes these larger story driven games take months or years to get a bit fresh and get back into. For example I haven't replayed Days Gone since I first got the platinum on release and I really liked the game that I have 100% it at the time, now I got it on PS+ Collection and replayed it on Normal from scratch 100% and really enjoyed it again. Thing is once I checked the trophies again and figured to push it to 100% trophy progress... I mean ANOTHER full playthrough on Survival II I got 2 hours in and got bored out.

Games like TLOU, DG, Witcher, hell even Uncharted. They take such a long time (at least for me) to get that replay feeling that by that point you'd have forgotten 'how' to play, how finicky or how certain parts work and where/what you should do what in a perfect run - this makes a sole Suvivor/permadeath/uberhard playthough out of the blue in a few months/years time hardly plausible without much annoyance, extra playthrough, guides etc.

OP's very right that permadeath in these games just makes no sense over the whatever hardest diff without it. There is too much finnicky platforming, unskippable cinematic moments and story parts which are amazing on run 1, good on 100% run 2 or other story diversifying choices but by 3 or 4 or 5... you're absolutely done with them. To put permadeath on it makes no point since there is a very clear distinction between

1. A good player that is capable of finishing the game on the hardest diff

2. An exceptionally good, extremely dedicated and tenacious player that will take dozens of consecutive runs to learn and master every last bit of it - think speedrunners

Now, I loved TLOU2 I enjoyed the hell out of it - but I am in no way up for dozens of 5 to 10 to 20 hours attempts at finishing the game perfectly. I was beat on those parts (i.e. museum) for 3rd run chapter select runs after 2 full playthroughs.

For TLOU2 permadeath as a challenge/trophy makes no sense as it would not for Uncharted, GOW, Tomb Raider, Days Gone, Infamous or RDR (say applicable on missions only there)

Yeah I don't get the point of a permadeath mode, other than having a trophy to prove you did it. But for real permadeath (full game) I think most people doing that are recording or streaming it anyway so the proof's already there. Like you can find videos of people beating the original Last of Us on Grounded without dying. I doubt anyone did it just for fun and didn't record it.

13 hours ago, Valkirye22 said:

Hah! Very true but the problem is sometimes these larger story driven games take months or years to get a bit fresh and get back into. For example I haven't replayed Days Gone since I first got the platinum on release and I really liked the game that I have 100% it at the time, now I got it on PS+ Collection and replayed it on Normal from scratch 100% and really enjoyed it again. Thing is once I checked the trophies again and figured to push it to 100% trophy progress... I mean ANOTHER full playthrough on Survival II I got 2 hours in and got bored out.

A lot of trophy hunters have a bit of an OCD mentality with leaving games unfinished. Myself included. But sometimes it really is better to wait a bit if you can afford to.

I absolutely loved Days Gone and easily rank it in my top 5 funnest platinums of all time. It was such a joy to play from start to finish and had an incredibly addictive gameplay loop. But it was also a very long game, and the thought of doing NG+/Survival II immediately following the platinum was too much.

I hate looking at my Days Gone platinum sitting at like 70% or whatever, but I figured if I leave it like that for a couple years, I can come back to it one day and experience the story all over again when it’s fresh, and knock out the challenge mode at the same time so it doesn’t feel like I’m spending all that time to unlock 2 measly bronze trophies or whatever.

I did the exact same thing with Spider-Man and left the NG+ and DLC trophies for a future revisit, and I’m trying to get in the habit of doing this more often than not now. It really helps preventing you burning out or starting to resent the game lol. I did make an exception for TLoU2, but only because I found out about the glitch everyone was using for permadeath, otherwise that game would be far too exhausting to sit through a 2nd time.

• Like 1