Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

Reassuring to see The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 mentioned here, because both are probably the biggest PS4 games I just couldn't get into. With The Witcher 3, I think the main issue was a lack of investment with the franchise - I didn't even buy the game myself, a friend lent me his copy. So I didn't really feel obliged to stick it out.

With Red Dead Redemption 2, I just found it hideously boring. The shooting was boring, the travelling was boring, the survival aspects gave me nightmares, and the worst part is that practically every single gameplay mechanic got in the way of its biggest strength, which was the writing/story. In the end, I couldn't justify it for another 40 hours or so.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kingjavs said:

Inspired by the top 10 games thread, thought it'd be interesting to see what games a lot of people revere that you personally struggled with getting into.

Not really encouraging edgelord comments, but just general fun discussion.

For me it would be The Witcher, which I say with some disappointment because so many people love this game. Something about the combat and beginning of the game really didn't jive with me, and I dropped it. Seeing it talked about so much still makes me want to revisit it with another open mind, but I never feel like I have a desire considering my first impressions.

1 hour ago, Smiddy23 said:

I have a couple that really bother me that I cant get through/dont stick with

Red Dead 2 and Witcher 3. Actually really like both, just seem to get 10-15 hours in, put it down and not manage to go back. I've re-started Witcher 4 times now, get to the bloody baron and get distracted.

I'm telling myself now I'll go back and play it on the PS5 with the boosts its getting!

Bloody Baron is where I dropped it for about a year before revisiting it. I'm telling you, if you push past that section, work towards upgrading your decoctions and potions (which you can restock by meditating instantly, just make sure you have a single alcohest in your inventory every time you do it, seriously, use those potions, it makes the game way more interesting), you start to get in a rhythm that is quite addictive. Novigrad and Skellige are definitely the highlights of that game. The early area is a little uninteresting.

Also look online how to get Witcher gear if you haven't found the diagrams yet. That gear makes you overpowered for at least five levels of xp. Then you just look for the next school of Witcher gear when you've leveled up a couple times.

Sorry if that's a mouthful xD but it's a game that took me many years to get the platinum trophy in and I honestly think it's one of the best in the generation. Though if it really isn't up your alley, that's fine of course.

Edited by griffin123456789
  • Like 1

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order has a lot of promise but it just lacked a lot of depth, it felt way too short and underwhelming, and the boss fights were fun but so few and far in between that they’re such a negligible part of the game while being probably the most exciting action. I don’t need a Dark Souls 2 boss list but I needed more than 3 real lightsaber bosses in the game. Plus the story and the ending was just bullshit and made me groan out loud. 

It also desperately needed a NG+ mode with how short the game felt

Edited by dylansko
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, dylansko said:

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order has a lot of promise but it just lacked a lot of depth, it felt way too short and underwhelming, and the boss fights were fun but so few and far in between that they’re such a negligible part of the game while being probably the most exciting action. I don’t need a Dark Souls 2 boss list but I needed more than 3 real lightsaber bosses in the game. Plus the story and the ending was just bullshit and made me groan out loud. 

It also desperately needed a NG+ mode with how short the game felt

TRUE!!! I hated that game so much. I had bugs happening every five to ten minutes. I couldn't believe how broken it was. The plot wasn't interesting, combat was awful, the environments were all boggy and ugly locations, the game crashed multiple times, the camera was so broken during the final boss, none of the collectables were interesting to find. Just an insanely bad game.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TheArcadeKid said:

Reassuring to see The Witcher 3 and Red Dead Redemption 2 mentioned here, because both are probably the biggest PS4 games I just couldn't get into. With The Witcher 3, I think the main issue was a lack of investment with the franchise - I didn't even buy the game myself, a friend lent me his copy. So I didn't really feel obliged to stick it out.

With Red Dead Redemption 2, I just found it hideously boring. The shooting was boring, the travelling was boring, the survival aspects gave me nightmares, and the worst part is that practically every single gameplay mechanic got in the way of its biggest strength, which was the writing/story. In the end, I couldn't justify it for another 40 hours or so.

I'm genuinely curious why you find the survival aspects nightmarish. I'm not even disagreeing or trying to argue with you, that's just a hilarious description xD. Funny thing is I can't disagree with your complaints, but I just loved the story so much. I guess I didn't mind shooting because I spammed the "snap/shoot" system. Though that isn't a defense for what is a pretty bad and clunky system. More embarrassing because the first game from ten years had better shooting.

Sekiro for me. Not a bad game at all, I just didn't quite get into it as much as other games. Love the Souls games, really enjoyed Bloodborne, I even really enjoy the Nioh games and the Surge (haven't started 2 yet). Sekiro though, I just couldn't get into it as much.I dropped it around the Guardian Ape. Yeah, one day I'll give it another shot, but I'm not in any rush anytime soon

The Red Dead series. I played Redemption and couldn't stand it. Something about the way it played felt off to me and I couldn't care less about the characters so there was really nothing that drew me in. Once I rode the horse though and experienced the horse riding controls, I put the game down and said 'yeah I'm just not going to even bother'.

Another case is pretty much every popular multiplayer game. I got addicted to Smite for awhile and even enjoyed Apex Legends when it was first released, but that hype died out and now I can't play either of them for even a single match and find enjoyment in it. This is why I chose to not even attempt playing other multiplayer games like Fall Guys. Zero interest.

1 hour ago, griffin123456789 said:

Bloody Baron is where I dropped it for about a year before revisiting it. I'm telling you, if you push past that section, work towards upgrading your decoctions and potions (which you can restock by meditating instantly, just make sure you have a single alcohest in your inventory every time you do it, seriously, use those potions, it makes the game way more interesting), you start to get in a rhythm that is quite addictive. Novigrad and Skellige are definitely the highlights of that game. The early area is a little uninteresting.

Also look online how to get Witcher gear if you haven't found the diagrams yet. That gear makes you overpowered for at least five levels of xp. Then you just look for the next school of Witcher gear when you've leveled up a couple times.

Sorry if that's a mouthful xD but it's a game that took me many years to get the platinum trophy in and I honestly think it's one of the best in the generation. Though if it really isn't up your alley, that's fine of course.

Oh it is, I just get strangely distracted away from it too easily and when I eventually come back to it have no idea whats happening.

Will admit I do get a little discouraged when running through an area thinking I'm all good, seeing something that looks worth killing, getting in range and discovering its way above my level and getting stuck not being able to get away. While I admit games can be too linear, that shit is frustrating as! Give me a challenge sure, but dont make me a shih tzu against a polar bear

• Like 1

I've completed a lot of games that are pretty popular, but which I found really really bad and overrated.

Some honorary mentions from the last year:

Fall Guys, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequal, Battlefield V, Star Wars: Battlefront 2, entire Just Cause series, Watch Dogs and Dragon Age: Inquisition.

2 hours ago, frontzie said:

The Last of Us. Managed about an hour, but it didn't pull me in.

Feel that, want to go back and try again, everyone seems to love it, but just cant.

2 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Final Fantasy 7. JRPGs are hit or miss for me, this one was a miss and my experience with it is the main reason I am not buying the remake.

Uncharted series. Expected more than shooting galleries with the same generic story for each game I guess, if it wasn't for Nathan being a fun character this would have been much worse.

Dark Souls. Horrendously bad and not a single fun moment to be had there, definitely not recommended to people who like genuine challenges.

Monster Hunter World. Heard hype about the monster hunter series for many years, but in the end it was just damage sponge monster enemies with hilariously small movesets that often were recycled to the point of absurdity, and most of the melee weapons were so annoying to use that they would have made the game unplayable for me. One big grind, not exactly what I imagined it to be and despite having finished the main game 100% for completions sake I don't look back at it and think it was a great experience.

Assassins Creed. The first game of the series I played many years ago really turned me off from the series right away and I have never looked back. The ridiculous size of this series by now and the name Ubisoft being attached almost guarantees that it will stay that way.

Uncharted is Sony's answer to Halo for me. Seems to have a huge following but is just run in to area, clear bad guys, move to next area. I'm clearly not getting something....

Monster Hunter World I bought day one thinking it was going to be amazing and worked out pretty quick it is pretty reliant on other people playing with you and I didnt have the patience to follow average clues. Didnt help it was a broken mess to begin with!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xItsLesterx said:

Bloodborne. I know it's considered a PS4 GEM and I got some trophies for it but never finished it since I just couldn't get into it. Eventually I will get to it but it's gonna be awhile. It's definitely at the bottom of my backlog lol 

Absolutely adore this game but am so rubbish at it I cant finish it. Funnily enough I dont have too many issues with the bosses, its the groups of enemies that get me! In saying that I finally put it down and left it when I got to the 3 hooded dudes boss, the ones that all attack you differently. They wiped their ass so rough with me you'd assume I was 1 ply, there was nothing left in a hurry!

Really would love to finish it, but cant risk my controller hahaha

• Like 1

Last of Us.  I played a bit of it, don't know how far I got, I know it wasn't that far into it, at least past the opening sequence.  But then I just got bored of it.  Game didn't pull me in as such so I've not even tried getting another copy of it or anything like that.

GTA 5 was another one.  Got a bit into it, but I don't know, just couldn't really be bothered with it as much.  Al I recall was getting to that boat mission on the highway and that was about it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DrakeHellsing said:

GTA 5 was another one.  Got a bit into it, but I don't know, just couldn't really be bothered with it as much.  Al I recall was getting to that boat mission on the highway and that was about it.

I thought GTA 5 was pretty abhorrent. I played it on release on the Xbox 360 and went through the story mode. I just ended up confirming to myself that everyone of these characters was a giant piece of shit. Great action set pieces but it's a shame that there were no redeeming qualities in any of the protagonist trio.

Ah a warmongering thread :D

Dragon Ball FighterZ - I understand the appeal and fan tribute aspects of this game, however its one of the most boring things I have ever played. Could not stand it. 

Sekiro - completed it 3 times, platinumed it, grinded to hell and back, learned to defeat bosses by non cheesing them, it still felt severely lacking. Better luck with Elden Ring I hope. 

Death Stranding - my small ape brain can't comprehend the delivery service gameplay, even with the awesome story. That's my issue with Kojima games mainly (great man dont get me wrong), I don't have 500 IQ to comprehend all of his games' subtleties. 

Bayonetta - Ok here I genuinely do not get why people love this game. And I mean Bayonetta 1. Camera is monstrous, too much over the topness(fine line between stylish and ridiculous) and ssstupid as sin story. Again, fine line which has been removed. 

That's kinda it. Apart from Bayonetta, I get the appeal of other games, they are just not for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Copanele said:

Ah a warmongering thread :D

Dragon Ball FighterZ - I understand the appeal and fan tribute aspects of this game, however its one of the most boring things I have ever played. Could not stand it. 

Sekiro - completed it 3 times, platinumed it, grinded to hell and back, learned to defeat bosses by non cheesing them, it still felt severely lacking. Better luck with Elden Ring I hope. 

Death Stranding - my small ape brain can't comprehend the delivery service gameplay, even with the awesome story. That's my issue with Kojima games mainly (great man dont get me wrong), I don't have 500 IQ to comprehend all of his games' subtleties. 

Bayonetta - Ok here I genuinely do not get why people love this game. And I mean Bayonetta 1. Camera is monstrous, too much over the topness(fine line between stylish and ridiculous) and ssstupid as sin story. Again, fine line which has been removed. 

That's kinda it. Apart from Bayonetta, I get the appeal of other games, they are just not for me. 

Half naked lady = Shut up and Take my money 

• Like 2

Minecraft. I must’ve tried playing it like 5 times, I spent like 4 hours on it in one go once and I just got tired of it because I find it incredibly annoying how you make progress, you have an unfortunate death and you lose everything and don’t spawn near your death, you just spawn miles away and lost everything. I saw my classmates and youtubers build things which then motivate me but I’m just not creative enough. ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SnowStorm said:

Sekiro for me. Not a bad game at all, I just didn't quite get into it as much as other games. Love the Souls games, really enjoyed Bloodborne, I even really enjoy the Nioh games and the Surge (haven't started 2 yet). Sekiro though, I just couldn't get into it as much.I dropped it around the Guardian Ape. Yeah, one day I'll give it another shot, but I'm not in any rush anytime soon

Same here, I really tried. Love every souls release and Sekiro just didn't grab me in. I think it was mainly due to it missing what mainly pulls me in with the others, and thats the gothic/horror-esque environment. I also didn't find the combat that fun, so when pressed up against a challenge, I didn't quite have the drive to "git good" as I do with the souls series.

I kinda keep it to myself though, many fromsoft fans that love Sekiro will attack saying the problem is actually you and not the fact that you may just not like Sekiro. ?