Popular games you couldn't get into/didn't like.

kingjavs

I really didn't like The Last of Us. Everyone was ranting and raving about how great it was in 2013 when it first came out. I played it for the first time in 2019 when it was a PlayStation Plus game. I beat the entire game and beat the DLC on grounded and I still didn't get what all the fuss was about. The only reason why I beat it is because I thought it was going to get better and it never did.

• Like 1

Dragon Quest 1986

It didn't age well. I love the rest of the series but this is one old game I just don't enjoy. I'm still trying but it's just grinding for gold and exp, and while that's fun, there's something missing from the first game in the DQ series.

Maybe games like DQXI, DQB/2, and even the DS and 3DS DQ's have spoiled me?

Edit: Going to add it's not just old games. I'm very excited for SaGa collection on Switch, and will gladly support by getting it on PS as well if that were ever to happen. Really hoping for a new entry, or even an actual remake rather than rerelease. 

Edited by HimataGaan

54 minutes ago, JiII-Valentine-- said:

I really didn't like The Last of Us. Everyone was ranting and raving about how great it was in 2013 when it first came out. I played it for the first time in 2019 when it was a PlayStation Plus game. I beat the entire game and beat the DLC on grounded and I still didn't get what all the fuss was about. The only reason why I beat it is because I thought it was going to get better and it never did.

I have to agree with this one. I haven't played The Last of Us 2 but I did play The Last of Us back on PS3. The game got super hyped up to me and when I finally played it I didn't feel like it was anything overly special. I didn't really enjoy the characters, the story, or the gameplay. For me it was just too slow and not interesting enough.

• Like 1

To be honest, I’ve been pretty lucky with my game selection thus far and haven’t really experienced this feeling yet. However, for the sake of conversation I will offer up the closest thing I have felt to it - Horizon Zero Dawn.

Now don’t get me wrong, I did overall enjoy HZD. It was a fun, relaxing game to platinum and I thought the world building was interesting, and the combat was highly enjoyable. However, for how wildly popular this game is I did find myself a bit surprised that it didn’t grip me as much as I expected it would. 

I also found Aloy to be highly annoying for much of the game. Most people love the story of HZD and absolutely adore the character of Aloy, but in my opinion she was pretty much the ultimate Mary Sue character. For someone who was supposedly a social pariah and raised in isolation her entire life, it struck me as odd at how she navigates the social and political circles of the game with spectacular ease and skill. And because she’s always the strongest, fastest, smartest, bravest etc. in every single situation she comes across as basically a flawless person, which makes her arc throughout the story feel like there’s very little growth or personal obstacles for her to overcome.

• Like 4

I love these topics where people get angry to each other because they don't like the same things.

My pick for the topic is Skyrim. I only played it for an hour and I wasn't having horrible time, but never got back into it after that. Not really sure why though.

Edited by Juzota

Doom Eternal: I definitely blew $60+ for this one. Before buying it I knew the genre wasn't my thing, but my roommate had it and was hyping it up to me. Also saw the easy platinum rating the game had so I figured why not. FPS are my least favorite type of game, and while this isn't one, it has that feel to me. I ended up playing the first 3 levels along with 1 slayer gate and haven't touched it since. My roommate still plays it to this day.  

I've never been really interested in Call of Duty, I've played a couple of games but I thought they were pretty generic and nothing special. Regarding the FPS genre, I prefer games that focus more on the single player campaign like Doom or Wolfenstein.

Death Stranding, I enjoyed the story and it even has brilliant moments, but the gameplay is absolutely boring and repetitive. I completed the main story but I doubt I'll ever try to get the platinum.

As a Final Fantasy fan, I also consider XIII and XV to be vastly inferior to classics like the ones from the PS1 and SNES eras. Not bad games per se, but disappointing as FFs.

Edited by DocJackson-

1 hour ago, redditon4chan said:

Aside from having really tight and responsive controls MGSV is one of the worst games I've ever played and certainly the #1 game I was glad to never touch again after I beat it.

I've actually got my MGSV save on a hard drive I can't use with my PS4s current software version, no way to update the HDDs software version, and I refuse to start it again because it's just such a grind and I was at something like 80% completion. 
I actually like it! But... not enough to ever play it again right from the beginning, or at least not for the plat.

I love / hate Overwatch. I think it's the most bland, cookie cutter MOBA shooter ever. Every character feels like they've been polished to faux perfection, but none of them have the character to actually be good. The gamemodes are bland and the only thing that keeps me playing is loot boxes. So many better FPS MOBAs out there that took more risks and were punished for it.

That being said, I have played way too much of it, largely while listening to music and grinding out loot boxes.

God of war (2018) Kratos was a real badass in original and borderline psycho , but i loved that. The combat was simple, but I felt real powerful. I liked that. Especially GoW 2 has a special place on my hearth. 

Now i have to be a father figur and have souls like fighting system who are boring for me. It seems like i am the only who dont like this new direction the franchise went. 

3 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

I also found Aloy to be highly annoying for much of the game. Most people love the story of HZD and absolutely adore the character of Aloy, but in my opinion she was pretty much the ultimate Mary Sue character. For someone who was supposedly a social pariah and raised in isolation her entire life, it struck me as odd at how she navigates the social and political circles of the game with spectacular ease and skill. And because she’s always the strongest, fastest, smartest, bravest etc. in every single situation she comes across as basically a flawless person, which makes her arc throughout the story feel like there’s very little growth or personal obstacles for her to overcome.

I have to agree with that. I loved HZD, the world, the combat and especially the story/lore (I'm the type of person who actually reads documents and listens to audio files to really understand a world and its characters, unless I absolutely can't get into it, and I thought HZD did that part outstandingly well), but Aloy I just couldn't really warm up to. I felt like she could have been a very interesting character and she had a lot of potential, but it was kinda wasted on her just being too damn perfect. Pretty much everybody is, literally, in love with her, she's the best at everything she touches, obviously the smartest... the list goes on. It just didn't click with me.

2 hours ago, Juzota said:

I love these topics where people get angry to each other because they don't like the same things.

There's a difference between saying something along the lines of: "This type of game just isn't for me" and claiming that a game is objectively "god awful" just because you personally didn't enjoy it, and then basically denouncing everyone who does enjoy it as being an "anime fan", as if that could be the only reason why anyone would like it. I even understood some of the points made and can imagine that they could be reason enough for people to really dislike the game, if they're just not into story/dialogue-focus or if the combat system isn't for them. But to generalize like that and go: "Well, if I didn't like it, that must mean it's god awful", that really is a bit ridiculous and close minded.

I myself don't enjoy Fall Guys (or any other Battle Royale game) in the least. I tried it on my partner's profile, but absolutely couldn't get into it. When someone actually grabbed me shortly before the finish line, just to prevent me from qualifying, even though they must have known that it would not help them personally, because they didn't make it either (I would have come in last or second to last in a race), it was completely over for me. That kind of trollish behavior just totally puts me off.

Edit: Forgot to mention FF XV. I adored FF 6 to 10 and, to a slightly lesser extent, also 12. 13 I already didn't quite know what to make of anymore, and 15 to me was just plain bad. I couldn't bring myself to care about any of it. I did platinum it and even went through some of the character-focused DLCs, desperately trying to find something that would change my mind, but nothing did. I didn't care about the world or the characters at all, I honestly hated the combat, nothing was memorable and I have pretty much forgotten everything about the story by now. I just found it boring. I want to hope that FF XVI might be more in the vein of earlier titles but I have my doubts. I guess this is just the direction the franchise will keep going into, and I will have to accept that it's not for me anymore, even though that does make me a bit sad.

Edited by DonFrancesco
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, scabab said:

The game has little to nothing going for it. It looks terrible, there's no denying that. It's an extremely long game with constant back to back cutscenes that don't know when to end, every cutscene is dragged out and retells the same point over and over again. The game has 40 hours of cutscenes and another 20 hours for confidant cutscenes. There's far less gameplay than there is cutscenes.

The dungeons are dragged out and are mainly made up of thin linear corridors. The battle system is simplistic and repetitive, a means of applying certain spell types on the same enemy each time.

Mementos is just randomly generated corridors.

The story and the characters are as generic as they come. 

The side content is worthless. It mainly boils down to reading more dialogue. 

The music is repetitive. There's a reason games like this don't use songs with vocals for their battles. This game didn't know better.

So what does it have going for it? It doesn't look good, it doesn't play good, it doesn't have a good story to fall back onto. It's worthless.

Lol that right there is a generic anime line in itself, god knows how many times that's been said in an anime, no wonder you love the game so much. 

Are you going to say that you "won't ever forgive me" in a serious manner next? Because that's another one they always come out with.

Looks like you still loved it enough to get the platinum ?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Czajnikus said:

Fallout 3 NV - loved Fallout 1-3, but then it shifted to much from postapo to something I dislike. It should be more like Stalker.

Are you saying NV was not apocalypse-y enough? Compared to the first three, yeah that’d be correct. But there is a reason for that. Not to be that guy, but according to Fallout lore, Mr. House set up defense systems to destroy most of the missiles aimed at Vegas. He himself predicted a nuclear war years before the Great War (which by the way we’re 57 years away from that today ?), so he prepped the city for it. Hence why NV’s environment wasn’t affected too much by the nukes.

As for OP - I got halfway through TLOU. Story was great so far, but gameplay was pretty boring. Not nearly as fast paced as I thought it would be. Maybe I’ll get back into it one of those days and give it a shot...

Edited by i-kicked-a-brit

4 minutes ago, Thornhorn7 said:

I do admire the perseverance of some people on this site. Sitting through a 100+ hour JRPG that you can't stand for a platinum trophy? How do you do it? 1f602.png

Remember he mentioned that most of it is "cutscenes" , I'm sure he just went the easy way out and just skipped them and the dialogue which is a disgrace

Edited by NOWITSREYNTIME17

Rise Of The Tomb Raider. I am currently trying to play this game but it does not really do anything for me. I do not recognize the Lara from the first game, I do not care for the story or the limited characters, the controls are weird as hell, and it is just really damn boring so I am having a hard time getting myself to keep playing. People often mention Shadow Of The Tomb Raider as a decline in quality for the recent trilogy, seems like for me this already is noticeable in Rise, I just can't enjoy it like I enjoyed the first one so it becomes tedious, especially with all the collectibles scattered everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Thornhorn7 said:

Looks like you still loved it enough to get the platinum ?

What if I told you that completing something does not mean you liked it and therefore this is a bad argument to make? I have completed a few games I absolutely despised just to not have my completion rate look like anything like yours, and I know many others who did the same.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

What if I told you that completing something does not mean you liked it and therefore this is a bad argument to make? I have completed a few games I absolutely despised just to not have my completion rate look like anything like yours, and I know many others who did the same.

Fair enough, they seem to have a high completion rate. Personally, I don't think completion rate matters too much and prefer to just stick to games I enjoy (apart from those easy plats I got a few years back that I will always regret lol), but that's just my opinion.