Is anyone else worried about Cyberpunk on the base PS4?

Jake-TheGreat97

On 10/12/2020 at 5:35 AM, djb5f said:

It’s got a 91 on metacritic.  I’d think if there were so many issues, many reviewers would have docked them for it.

I haven’t followed closely but I am surprised to hear so many issues for a game rated so highly. 

They only handed out PC codes to reviewers since it was the best version they had and it still had an insane amount of bugs (I've watched reviews with 6-7 minutes sections just to list the type of bugs plaguing the best version of the game). They also didn't allow reviewers to use their own footage for all reviews that were dropped before the 9th and to make it all even worst they forbade the disclosure of the time when the review embargo would be lifted so players wouldn't know when the reviews would come out (which is a first I believe). The game is obviously considerably worst on Consoles than it is on PC. I don't blame CDP for releasing a PS4 and X1 version since they wouldn't want to give up on the 140M+ people that own those consoles but in the state the game is right now it just feels like a cash grab. I also wouldn't trust reviewers that much because they aren't really consistent with how they score games; I remember Days Gone getting a lot of mixed reviews with a lot of emphasis put on the number of technical issues it had at launch but Cyberpunk gets a lot of 90+ scores on the same sites despite releasing in a much worst state than Days Gone did. 

Edited by Yuuria_
  • Like 4

I’ve played for only a few hours each console. So, probably too early to tell, but (in my experience) so far, the only improvements that the PS5 has over PS4 are loading times and frame rate.

Perhaps base your decision on that criteria, and that criteria alone, since both versions crash, both are buggy as hell, and unfinished. Yet, I forgot about all that because of how amazing and immersive it is. And anyway, they are the superficial type that can be patched. This is a common theme you’ll see in the reviews.

• Like 1

Personally I wasn't hyped about the game at all until the release when I saw a little bit of gameplay on YouTube and I almost impulsively bought it. But now, after seeing all the post about the terrible performance on the base PS4, I think I will just wait. I am planning to buy a PS5 around March and hopefully they will fix the game by then.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-12-10-cyberpunk-2077-is-super-rough-on-ps4-and-xbox-one-and-the-memes-have-already-begun

"According to Morgan, Cyberpunk 2077 on PS4 looks very blurry, running between 720p and 900p resolution, and the framerate for any driving around the big city areas is constantly at around 20. While some indoor battles run well at 30fps, they can drop to 25fps. Framerate drops are one thing, but there's also hitching - big hiccups in the action where a new object or texture needs to load in. This can make it a challenge to shoot or drive."

No spoiler comparison and frame graph of all consoles: 

Basically, the PS4 is 'okay', but it's 20-30 fps. The Pro is more 30 and a little sharper. The PS5, surprisingly, looks a lot better and runs at 50-60fps all the time (no toggle like on the Xbox Series X)

Xbox isn't as pretty - 14-20fps on the One (s), around 30 on the SS and 50-60 on the SX. But, Xbox is washed out, the colours don't look as defined and 'dark' as on PS4 so there may be an issue with that version as I've seen that in a few games.

The above is with the day one patch - the funny, really bad videos going around social media are the disc-based version 1.0

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turniplord said:

Basically, the PS4 is 'okay', but it's 20-30 fps. 

well but this is not okay

5 minutes ago, turniplord said:

the funny, really bad videos going around social media are the disc-based version 1.0

and this is simply not true, the day 1 patch is out for a few days and it didn't do a lot

don't get me wrong, a minor graphical bug here and there is nothing major but there are still plenty of gamebreaking ones in there. PLUS the immersion breaking which is another killer imo

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alaquia said:

well but this is not okay

and this is simply not true, the day 1 patch is out for a few days and it didn't do a lot

don't get me wrong, a minor graphical bug here and there is nothing major but there are still plenty of gamebreaking ones in there. PLUS the immersion breaking which is another killer imo

See the video posted above your message - that's version 1.0

The latest version still has a lot of issues but no where near the disc version which is the one a lot of people have been pulling videos and image from (from what I've seen on Twitter). I'd still say don't buy it on PS4 or Xbox One - only get if you have a Pro upwards

2 hours ago, HaserPL said:

What were you expecting lol. Has anyone forgotten how games made for PS4 looked and performed on PS3? Black Ops 3, Shadow of Mordor, Thief, WATCH Dogs, Far Cry 4? Coz I didn't, I have played all of them on ps3.

Lol completely pointless comparison. 

Those games were released in 2014, when the ps4 was already out for almost a year. 

Cyberpunk was announced for PS4 and the original release was planned when the PS5 wasn't even out. 

This is more comparable with games that released on both consoles in 2013 like AC Black Flag or Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty Ghosts. And those games were fine on PS3 as far as I remember. 

Besides that, the PS5 Version of Cyberpunk isn't even available at this point. What would have happened, if the PS5 wasn't backwards compatible? 

And even if you play it on PS5 at this point, it's far inferior to a true PS5 version. 

So now we have people who play a complete mess on the PS4 and people who play something that isn't as good as it could be on PS5. 

Compete Desaster. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MeltedDreams1 said:

You know what's funny? All these people defending CD Projekt RED with their lives... Few days ago i said on twitter ''this game is going to be rough at launch'' and whole CD Projekt army bambarded me with 400+ notifications that i'm dumb and there is day 1 patch that will fix all issues. ?

What's even more funny is this statement from CDPR

https://wccftech.com/cyberpunk-2077-ps4-xo-performance-surprisingly-good/amp/ 

If that's what they call "surprisingly good"..... Just lol

1 hour ago, The PREDATOR said:

Too me the graphics are on par with perfect dark 64. I hope the gameplay is great, I’m disappointed thus far.

I'm playing on Xbox Series X, and the game without being optimised for Xbox Series X|S looks better than most other games which have been, looks insanely good visually. 

I'll be picking up my base PS4 copy today... BestBuy's site said it was ready to be picked up yesterday, which I went to get it and it was "ready" technically but they couldn't give it to me, what a remarkable system... but I digress...

I have no doubt the game is going to have issues, but I find people tend to be incredibly sensitive to framerates and pop-in, and really stretch the limits of what "unplayable" means.  And either tend to lie about, or be blissfully ignorant to, what version of the game they're running to be the first to report on something.  So I'm happy to see it day one and day two and judge for myself.  As long as the actual game-affecting glitches (crashes, glitches in the mission tracking, NPC's not working, etc) are kept to a minimum I'm sure I'll enjoy myself.  I'm the guy who beat GTA IV on my old crappy PC at 5-10fps the whole game back in the day afterall. xD

One of those times I wish the scumbags of the internet could've kept just one PS5 unscalped for me though.

Edited by Dreakon13

59 minutes ago, MeltedDreams1 said:

You know what's funny? All these people defending CD Projekt RED with their lives... Few days ago i said on twitter ''this game is going to be rough at launch'' and whole CD Projekt army bambarded me with 400+ notifications that i'm dumb and there is day 1 patch that will fix all issues. 1f602.png

this.

all this day 1 bs is just.... bs. witcher 3 is one of my alltime favourites, thronebreaker was massive fun and my hype was through the roof for cyberpunk... but there is always a limit on what's acceptable. cd project red are amazing but they need to be reminded... constantly... that they fvcked up royally with this

to all the people who enjoy this mess: good for you, but think about how much you COULD really enjoy it. if you don't care, just don't be a mindless fanboy

Edited by Alaquia
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I have no doubt the game is going to have issues, but I find people tend to be incredibly sensitive to framerates and pop-in, and really stretch the limits of what "unplayable" means.  And either tend to lie about, or be blissfully ignorant to, what version of the game they're running to be the first to report on something.  So I'm happy to see it day one and day two and judge for myself.  As long as the actual game-affecting glitches (crashes, glitches in the mission tracking, NPC's not working, etc) are kept to a minimum I'm sure I'll enjoy myself.  I'm the guy who beat GTA IV on my old crappy PC at 5-10fps the whole game back in the day afterall. xD

I can ignore pop-in for the most part unless a car suddenly appears in my way and messes up my progress (this happened in Watch Dogs Legion) but when a game is below 30 FPS on a consistent basis, then it is basically unplayable for me. I would not be pleased right now if I was stuck with the base console versions especially after CDPR's recent comments that were already quoted here. 

I'm playing on PS5 and I'm considering shelving the game until the full-on current gen version is released or at least wait for another patch or two since I already earned a trophy and don't really want another 1% game on my profile. It runs fine to me on PS5 and looks decent for the most part but the crashing and glitches are concerning. 

1 hour ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I'm playing on Xbox Series X, and the game without being optimised for Xbox Series X|S looks better than most other games which have been, looks insanely good visually. 

This version of the game looking good on a console it's not developed for doesn't excuse that it's horrible on the consoles its supposed to be played on at this point. 

I have a PS5, so I could say it looks fine on that and that's it. 

But the state of this game is a punch in the face of 80% of the playerbase probably. 

21 minutes ago, Killbomb said:

I can ignore pop-in for the most part unless a car suddenly appears in my way and messes up my progress (this happened in Watch Dogs Legion) but when a game is below 30 FPS on a consistent basis, then it is basically unplayable for me. I would not be pleased right now if I was stuck with the base console versions especially after CDPR's recent comments that were already quoted here. 

I'm playing on PS5 and I'm considering shelving the game until the full-on current gen version is released or at least wait for another patch or two since I already earned a trophy and don't really want another 1% game on my profile. It runs fine to me on PS5 and looks decent for the most part but the crashing and glitches are concerning. 

Especially now with the new generation of consoles emphasizing framerate and performance, gamers are getting conditioned that 30fps or less is unacceptable.  Which is fine, that's their preference.  But in the early days of 3D gaming and even as recently as the PS3, 15-30fps wasn't just common, it was basically the standard.  Especially for more graphically intensive games.  It's far from unplayable, though I understand peoples discomfort with it.

For me it's very much a feel thing.  I won't know how much a lower framerate bothers me until I'm sitting down playing the game, and I've found I can't really take peoples word on it.  But crashes and glitches concern me more.

EDIT: I've read people saying to turn off the extra effects like film grain, motion blur and chromatic aberration (if these are options on console).  These effects will just make an already slow game feel more sluggish, and disabling may help the overall framerate in general.

Edited by Dreakon13