Mass Effect Legendary Edition

1 hour ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Seems funny to me that the only Mass Effect DLC not developed by BioWare is the one with the missing source code.

I always meant to played but kept delaying it. Now is clearly the time! Cool, I am happy about it.

But, it is very weird the CE not including the game. I see it as ridiculous, but okay. Will buy the normal edition, but feel that some people might preorder the CE and not knowing it does not include the game.

20 minutes ago, bmg_ps said:

I always meant to played but kept delaying it. Now is clearly the time! Cool, I am happy about it.

But, it is very weird the CE not including the game. I see it as ridiculous, but okay. Will buy the normal edition, but feel that some people might preorder the CE and not knowing it does not include the game.

It makes sense on a manufacturing level. Instead of having to print the boxes with specific platforms on it, they can just have a one all box for whatever one you decide to buy the game for

"Running" around the Citadel at a tortoise's pace for a good chunk of the playtime and doing the obnoxious Mako missions sure brings me not so fond memories of ME1.

A remake would have been nice, but it's EA after all. 

Platted the trilogy but never played any of the DLCs. So that's probably enough for me to get it.

Here's hoping they won't ruin it. 

• Like 1

I am excited for 1 & 2.  But 3, is still by far the worst Mass Effect game to date.  I'll gladly play Andromeda over 3 any day.  

ME3 is such a huge departure from 1 (and Dragon Age: Origins.. granted, so is 2) but 2 is still good.  ME3 turned into a 3rd Person linear corridor shooter, that purely preyed on nostalgia. You couldn't holster your weapon, didn't have a Krogan party member, no exploring, and limited RPG options.  And how about horrendous gambling co op mode that introduced the Ultimate Team packs (that morons supported to show EA that they'd be successful outside of their mostly shitty sports games) and pushed you to play it to keep your Galactic Readiness up.  That's all on top of the horrible ending. 

Andromeda at least got back to the Mass Effect 1, and Dragon Age Origins roots.  In all seriousness fuck Mass Effect 3.  

I was hoping for a 120fps option on PS5, but I guess it'll just be a resolution bump? That's what the Eurogamer article makes it sound like anyway. I haven't seen them detail what these "targeted enhancements" for the new consoles are yet.

But yeah, I'm loving everything I've seen and heard about the changes made to ME1. The new UI looks really nice and the environments have really been brought to life going off the screenshots. I'm also happy to hear that they kept the elevator rides, but just shortened them. Would have been easier just to replace them with a loading screen, but I'm glad they didn't do that.

Honestly, I can take or leave the other two games. ME1 is where it's at. ?

2 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

I am excited for 1 & 2.  But 3, is still by far the worst Mass Effect game to date.  I'll gladly play Andromeda over 3 any day.  

ME3 is such a huge departure from 1 (and Dragon Age: Origins.. granted, so is 2) but 2 is still good.  ME3 turned into a 3rd Person linear corridor shooter, that purely preyed on nostalgia. You couldn't holster your weapon, didn't have a Krogan party member, no exploring, and limited RPG options.  And how about horrendous gambling co op mode that introduced the Ultimate Team packs (that morons supported to show EA that they'd be successful outside of their mostly shitty sports games) and pushed you to play it to keep your Galactic Readiness up.  That's all on top of the horrible ending. 

Andromeda at least got back to the Mass Effect 1, and Dragon Age Origins roots.  In all seriousness fuck Mass Effect 3.  

The co-op mode was super fun. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

The co-op mode was super fun. 

Well, I vehemently disagree.  Personally, I only know one person that somewhat enjoyed it.  And even they realized that it was only put in for $$$.  And you can obviously tell that it took away from the story mode!

6 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

I mean, ME3 was basically just 2 with more refined gameplay mechanics. Less companions was definitely a downside, but I'd hardly say they're that difference.

14 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

Oh damn, I was never able to play Pinnacle Station and was hoping this would be my chance. Oh well.

• Like 1

I never played the original trilogy only, Andromeda (which i loved, yes I'm one of the 3 people that actually liked the game I guess....) so I'm pretty stoked for it! Curious about how they're going to handle the trophy list since it's 3 games in one package.

I don't own a PS5 and don't intend on buying one for the next 2/ 3 years or so I'll just play this on my gen1 PS4 which means no 4k for me. Not that bad/ low graphics have stopped me from playing masterpieces before. :D

Edited by its_ArchroniX
  • Like 1

I tried playing Mass Effect 1 on the PS3 and I’m sorry lol I didn’t like it. It wasn’t boring but it wasn’t fun either. I was excited to try it out because so many people are in love with Mass Effect but yeah I just don’t see it. I played until the part of that underground base/camp where I had to shoot robots in halls and going up the stairs etc. I was pretty much at the beginning of the game, only have 3 trophies for it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NxtDoc said:

Well, I vehemently disagree.  Personally, I only know one person that somewhat enjoyed it.  And even they realized that it was only put in for $$$.  And you can obviously tell that it took away from the story mode!

It took nothing away from the story mode as the mass effect team didn't even develop it, bioware montreal did, the same team that went on to make andromeda. It's been documented for a long time that the reason the story mode was so crappy as casey hudson took over writing duties after drew karpyshyn retired following mass effect 2. He didn't even let the other writers at bioware look over the story he wrote and just pushed it through.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Pinnacle Station was cut. Not surprising since they couldn't use it for PS3.

https://www.ign.com/articles/mass-effect-1-dlc-cut-because-of-corrupted-source-code

Yeah, it's actually kind of sad. Not necessarily from the point of view of player experience, because it wasn't amazing, but sad in that this was a piece of gaming work that a team of people put time and effort into making and it is completely lost.

This DLC isn't just an isolated situation either, there is a huge period of time from the 90's onwards where game code wasn't preserved or treated with the idea that maybe, one day it would become a matter of historical reference.

And the real kicker is that game companies don't really talk about so it we don't really know which older games have preserved or missing source code. A rare example is Final Fantasy 8 - the original source code is a mess and virtually missing entirely. When Square released the game, they pretty much didn't back anything up at all. So chunks of assets and pretty much the entire source code are just gone.

Makes you wonder what else is missing or broken.

Edited by Crispy_Oglop
  • Like 1

Lost or corrupt source code sucks, it means that something is lost forever unless great effort is made to reconstruct or remake stuff. It's why Final Fantasy VIII didn't have a proper re-release for years, why they had to construct the Kingdom Hearts HD ReMixes partially from assets from later games and why we don't have a re- release of Icewind Dale 2 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Crispy_Oglop said:

Yeah, it's actually kind of sad. Not necessarily from the point of view of player experience, because it wasn't amazing, but sad in that this was a piece of gaming work that a team of people put time and effort into making and it is completely lost.

This DLC isn't just an isolated situation either, there is a huge period of time from the 90's onwards where game code wasn't preserved or treated with the idea that maybe, one day it would become a matter of historical reference.

And the real kicker is that because game companies don't really talk about it we don't really know which older games have preserved or missing source code. A rare example is Final Fantasy 8 - the original source code is a mess and virtually missing entirely. When Square released the game, they pretty much didn't back anything up at all. So chunks of assets and pretty much the entire source code are just gone.

Makes you wonder what else is missing or broken.

Panzer dragoon saga is another example. Source code is completely gone due to an office fire back in the day

• Like 1

This talk of lost source code and stuff kinda makes me want to find a way to create like a bajillian back ups for every game still existing and every generation find some way to like pole what games the people want revived that generation and revive/remaster whatever those games so they are never list to history and find a way for all games to revert to like a historical game society when companies close, change venues ect so there's always a path forward like with shadow hearts and castlevania ect great games we may never see again because the creators are gone and rights are still held in limbo or the company decided to not make games as such anymore

• Like 2