Close friend requests from bots?

dannyswfc9

18 minutes ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Thanks for replying. Glad its not just me lol. I used to get messages saying stuff like "hi hun" and stuff like that so i changed privacy settings a for a bit but the friend requests are new

I used to get those all the time haha. But recently it’s what you and others have mentioned. Usually when I see it’s a close request I can already tell it’s a fake account. Just ignore them and delete the request. I’ve not had any issues following from them and it seems to be a wide-spread occurrence

3 hours ago, dannyswfc9 said:

Hi, sorry if this as been mentioned.

Ive seen this been mentioned about random messages over the past few years but not about getting random close friend requests from people who have no trophies and their profile is blank. 

I have had 3 close friend requests in the past few weeks. Of course ive deleted them but stuff like this just worries me.

Anyone else had any?

Thanks in advanced. Have a nice day

Happened to me too, last night, 5 requests back to back within about 2 seconds of each other, completely blank profiles. All wanting to be close friends. Don't let it worry you, it's only cause for concern if they are replied to and things go from there :).

If their profiles are not blank and the person is clearly someone with played games and a proper profile - it could be someone from PSNP reaching out with a friend request - if you tend to get lots of those, you could always pop something in your signature to say that you will ignore blank friend requests. You could also send them a message asking if you know them etc.

But as a general rule, i'd steer clear of invites attached to completely empty blank user profiles.

12 minutes ago, Carol said:

It’s happening to me a lot lately too. I don’t understand what’s the purpose of these requests, but I just delete them.

I generally assume that if they are blank and empty profiles requesting to be friends - they are likely bots or scammers - if you reply to them you'll either get spammed some kind of sex related service like cam sites etc. or it'll be someone on the other end who chats to you in order to try and scam your details out from you etc.

• Like 3

I've received a few that are definitely fake some even have (add me on Instagram followed by Instagram address) for their "real" name. Then I've also gotten a few that look to be legitimate people with several games but after I accept they ignore me but they do actually play games and earn trophies lol I'm like why did u add me if ur just ignoring me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoveInHell said:

Why do people delete them? I just don’t accept and ignore.

Probably just so it’s gone, like for example messages and notifications. I like to have everything clear so I know what’s new, maybe that’s just me though 

• Like 2

I get so many... gotten the same one like 7 times in the past couple days after I keep deleting it. I don't even know if it's a bot at this point but it has such a weird profile.

By the way, has anyone had issues in parties after the update in which it'll pretty often say something like "Blahblah has gotten a connection error" or something? So basically, it'll say that for me about a friend, but he'll also get the same notification for me and then we can't hear each other for a couple seconds. The even weirder thing is that if I'm in a party with 2+ people and that happens, the other person/people will still be able to hear both of us when we can't hear each other. Kind of hard to explain, super annoying though...

1 minute ago, shxrpay said:

I get so many... gotten the same one like 7 times in the past couple days after I keep deleting it. I don't even know if it's a bot at this point but it has such a weird profile.

By the way, has anyone had issues in parties after the update in which it'll pretty often say something like "Blahblah has gotten a connection error" or something? So basically, it'll say that for me about a friend, but he'll also get the same notification for me and then we can't hear each other for a couple seconds. The even weirder thing is that if I'm in a party with 2+ people and that happens, the other person/people will still be able to hear both of us when we can't hear each other. Kind of hard to explain, super annoying though...

Mhm, I've had that happen several times with my parties! It's so strange. Glad we're not the only ones experiencing this :/ I mean, I get WHY they changed it to try and avoid harassment and such, but damn if it isn't a pain, especially if you're socially awkward like me xD   

• Like 1

Got a couple recently I think, I don't get why they do it. First I thought it was like a feeler call (where scammers call you to see if your phone number can be sold in a active phone number database) but they'd know I'm active from playing games. Otherwise I'd guess it's a catfishing thing, not sure how someone would fall for that though.