How trophies are done on PS4

Aranea Highwind

Trophies on the PlayStation 4 are coming back with a twist. Sony's new console won't just store your achievements—it'll tell you the rarity of each Trophy you earn

We saw the new feature in action today during a demo of the PS4's system interface at a big press event tied to the console's Friday launch.

The system will list each Trophy a player has earned and will classify them as common, rare, very rare, or ultra rare. Trophies are still also designated as bronze, silver, gold and platinum to denote the difficulty in obtaining them. Rarity, however, is a dynamic quality that will be calculated online across the PlayStation userbase. A Trophy might prove rare because it is tough to get, or it might be rare because few people have bothered to play the game it's in. Rarity can change over time.

As best we can tell, the rest of the PS4's Trophy system matches what is on the PS3 and Vita. Earning Trophies still fills a progress bar that gradually levels up the numerical rank of the person who earned them. Trophies still have to sync online. They can still be earned offline.

The PS4 Trophy interface lists Trophies that the player has earned on PS4, PS3 and Vita.

• Like 2

I knew this was going to be happening since the Vita's firmware was last updated. The update notes mentioned that trophy rarity for PS4 games would not be displayed. There would obviously be no point in stating that if PS4 trophies weren't going to have a rarity number. If they can keep hacking to a minimum, this is excellent news. 

I imagine it would be across just PS4 trophies, maybe patch it to other systems later but then they would have new vita games needing it as well :/

Initial reaction: it is a nice additional feature to have but as Blazikiller stated it most likely won't account for hackers and leaderboard cheats etc so ill still put my faith in Sly to let me know how rare and untainted my trophies are :)

What ever happened to that feature that let other people play your games for you? Did they reveal whether they would disable trophies for saves that have had help?

I haven't really been following it.

From what I can recall, it is up to the developers to disable trophies while using that feature. 

Parker

I suspect Sony will put pressure on developers not to disable trophies if this feature is used, as noone would ever use it if they did disable them.

I truly cannot imagine why someone would use it though.

I mean, after getting some hard trophy done and dusted, im not gonna want to do it again just so someone else can have the same trophy and pull the rarity down on it!

Also, I suspect that anyone serious about gaming would immediately delete someone from thier friends list if they asked them to get a trophy for them.

Awesome.

I always loved how this site tells you how rare your trophies are but that's obviously limited to the amount of registered users on the site.

Great new feature. Hopefully they add more things like this.

Still never leaving PSN Profiles though :P I just started out here and I love the community  :rolleyes:

Edited by rsoto1125