Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

WaddysWDS

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

It doesn't need PSN to reset the cmos battery at all, you just need an online connection.

Yes, but you still need *some* service to provide current time. And that is done by Sony right now.

Man this is all shit. Cuz Sony doesn't want old scrap together code of the OG store. They didn't think ahead and we have to pay for it. BS? I do feel bad for the few devs that just got a vita dev kit. Seen on [At 3am] one dev just there kit like this week. Man kick to the a$$. 

Here your dev kit. We close in 5 months?

43 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I don't think anybody should get invested or excited about PS Now.

It's basically Stadia 2.0 and perhaps worst of all, if Sony decides to kill that service, you don't even have the luxury of panic buying.

You're speaking like its a new and expensive thing. Its 7yrs old and cheap. 

This thread is 74 pages long, lots of misinformation, rumors, and haphazard assumptions. Now that Sony has made a statement we all know what we're getting into and can feel good our licenses aren't going away. because as long as I can access content I have a license for, I am okay with this. Uploading game saves to the cloud is a great feature I use and continue to wish to use.

There hasn't been a sale on PS3 or Vita games in forever. Oh well. Aside from DLC for games that I haven't played, there isn't a single item I wish to purchase. This isn't the worst thing to happen to a digital platform in history. Preserving digital only titles that appeared on those PS3, PSVita, and PSP consoles is a thing but you have to acknowledge the fact that those stores have been running for years and those folks had their shot. 

I don't have any ill will or feelings towards Sony due to this decision.

12 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

This thread is 74 pages long, lots of misinformation, rumors, and haphazard assumptions. 

I am having a great time reading the 1st couple posts! So much brazen denial... I think I will save reading more for a rainy day when I need a good laugh.

25 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I'm not going to argue here, since it's off topic but this is not correct. Feel free to move this into PM.

I'm not sure if its done by Sony, i would think its done via the net like any devices? If the battery dies just replace it, and you don't need to sign into PSN to re enable the games, just go into time/date and select set via internet. 

Edited by GUDGER666

1 minute ago, GUDGER666 said:

I'm not sure if its done by Sony, i would think its done via the net like any devices? If the battery dies you don't need to sign into PSN to re enable the games, just go into time/date and select set via internet. 

Yes, but accurate time doesn't magically come from internet.

Those device you are talking about all have a specific server they talk to using (in most cases) NTP protocol.

On Windows, it's time.microsoft.com.

On Apple devices it's time.apple.com.

On Linux, that depends on distribution but it's usually multiple servers that provide time to ntpd.

And on PS3 (which is a FreeBSD fork), I would think these servers are provided by Sony.

Anyone with PS3 and Wireshark can check and end this discussion right now. :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Yes, but accurate time doesn't magically come from internet.

Those device you are talking about all have a specific server they talk to using (in most cases) NTP protocol.

On Windows, it's time.microsoft.com.

On Apple devices it's time.apple.com.

On Linux, that depends on distribution but it's usually multiple servers that provide time to ntpd.

And on PS3 (which is a FreeBSD fork), I would think these servers are provided by Sony.

Anyone with PS3 and Wireshark can check and end this discussion right now. :)

Well then i would assume the address is the same for PS3/4/5. And if that's the case we are fine. 

For the first time ever I'm considering switching to Xbox, and starting achievements from fresh sounds appealing given i didn't take trophy hunting all that seriously 12 years ago. Problem at the minute is just the exclusives, not sure i can justify the outlay for both just to play God of War, Horizon, Spider Man and whatever ND cook up next.

Sony have royally p*ssed me off here. I've gone through my PS3 games recently and used the store a lot, bad enough they stopped all discounts, now to close it so we can't 100% our games? Nah, they can do one. Unless they swiftly announce some sort of replacement function through PS Now or emulation, I certainly won't be rushing out to get a PS5 when availability allows.

• Like 2

I love my PS3 a lot when I got in in January 2020 I didn’t even think that it was too late to get it  in fact I played so many great games there!
Same with my Vita it’s such a great little device to bring on with you when you travelling or away from your console I really liked it....

I knew this news would happen sooner or later I mean seriously after removing the whilist store nothing to be surprised for.

So then it’s time to buy all the games that I’m interested in it’s still annoying how there wasn’t any sales in years....a game that came out in 2015 still cost 40€ is beyond insane and the question is how much I’m willing to spend for buying the last items.....

R.I.P the store on its way slowly dying ?

Edited by NurseTatiana

9 minutes ago, BluesFanUK said:

For the first time ever I'm considering switching to Xbox, and starting achievements from fresh sounds appealing given i didn't take trophy hunting all that seriously 12 years ago. Problem at the minute is just the exclusives, not sure i can justify the outlay for both just to play God of War, Horizon, Spider Man and whatever ND cook up next.

Sony have royally p*ssed me off here. I've gone through my PS3 games recently and used the store a lot, bad enough they stopped all discounts, now to close it so we can't 100% our games? Nah, they can do one. Unless they swiftly announce some sort of replacement function through PS Now or emulation, I certainly won't be rushing out to get a PS5 when availability allows.

Not every game has DLC trophies. A lot that have, have been delisted anyway. Also lots have DLC on disc, and looking at your profile you have done most anyway. 

19 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

Well then i would assume the address is the same for PS3/4/5. And if that's the case we are fine. 

Yes, personally I would be very surprised to see dead time sync servers for PS3/Vita while PS4/PS5 would stay operational.

Edited by HusKy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Zarakai1989 said:

I burned my bridges with Xbox as well and will never go back. Afterall, people are quick to forget the scummy practices Microsoft were going to go ahead with when the Xbox One was first revealed. Only reason they didn't go ahead with it was because Sony chose to continue as normal.

That was a long time ago and don't forget at that time it was Dom Mattrick then. Since then it's been Phil Spencer and he's a much better leader than Dom Mattrick. Had Phil Spencer been the head of Xbox then, I doubt the DRM stuff would of even been a consideration. 

Edited by Cryogenicide_X

2 minutes ago, StacFace92 said:

You're missing the point.

1. Not everyone bought a PS3 when it first came out. Some people weren't into gaming at the time, couldn't afford it, came from Xbox, weren't born yet etc. There's plenty of reasons someone could be genuinely interested in a PS3 game but not purchased it yet.

2. The reason the digital PS5 is being brought up is because, if/when they eventually take down the PS5 store, people with a digital PS5 won't be able to buy any more PS5 games from anywhere at that point. Whilst those with the regular PS5 can at least still browse second-hand shops/eBay etc.

People who keep their old consoles tend to still pick up the odd new title for them, even if they have a collection of all the games they really wanted. Sometimes these games turn out to be hidden gems. Some of my favourite PS2 games are ones I didn't even discover until as late as 2015.

3. We know they don't have to keep the store up forever. That doesn't mean we can't be disappointed by this news.

That's a very small amount of people, can't expect Sony to keep up the store for just a few people that may or may not but a game in 20yrs. It financial doesn't make any sense. Times change, move on. The PS5 will most definitely be forwards compatible, and the games will be able to be enhanced for PS6 so the games will stay on the store. Like Xbox, they are only keeping stores alive because they are all one and everything is compatible, that's just not the case for PS3. Fact is most people really don't care about old games unless they are Enhanced/Remastered. And it's perfectly fine to be disappointed, i would love a big sale, id spend loads. But some people are really overreacting. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jigsy1 said:

Can you still by PS3 games via the web store?

Not at all,  that was closed a couple of months ago.

14 hours ago, ShonenCat said:

Play has no limits... except when it does

The limits are Sony itself :awesome:

Edited by Sigma999
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, GUDGER666 said:

That's a very small amount of people, can't expect Sony to keep up the store for just a few people that may or may not but a game in 20yrs. It financial doesn't make any sense. Times change, move on. The PS5 will most definitely be forwards compatible, and the games will be able to be enhanced for PS6 so the games will stay on the store. Like Xbox, they are only keeping stores alive because they are all one and everything is compatible, that's just not the case for PS3. Fact is most people really don't care about old games unless they are Enhanced/Remastered. And it's perfectly fine to be disappointed, i would love a big sale, id spend loads. But some people are really overreacting. 

Because it looks like Sony pissed on its users

• Like 3