WaddysWDS

Reversal: PS3, Vita, And PSP Stores To No Longer Close Permanently

2,376 posts in this topic

Just now, enaysoft said:

I am trying to think of at least 3 games that I really REALLY want on PS5.

Are there even any killer apps yet? Resident Evil 8 isn't even out yet, I can't really think of anything I would want even if I had PS5, but yet I can think of at least 10 or more on PS3 and Vita since those systems have so many good games on them.

"Say whaaaaaaat?"

Scoot_Senpai on Twitter: "Soul of the mind, key to life's ether. Soul of  the lost, withdrawn from its vessel. Let strength be granted, so the world  might be mended. So the world

😂 Dude, at this point, if I saw a PS5 being sold at RRP, with Demons Souls soldered into the disc drive so it couldn't ever be removed, I'd likely still buy it! 😂

I don't think anybody should get invested or excited about PS Now.

It's basically Stadia 2.0 and perhaps worst of all, if Sony decides to kill that service, you don't even have the luxury of panic buying.

If there is an outflow of players to хbox then Sony will not be able to recover

3 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

That's good to know - Cheers matey.

Still not quite sure if PS Now is for me at the moment, but nice to know it's an option down the line!

Just to add - when you first launch PS Now you’ll have to launch the service’s XMB and sync your trophy list. Until you do that your PS Now “console” doesn’t know what trophies you already have

Left me very confused when I started a play thru of Infamous 2 and it was popping trophies that I knew I’d earned years ago

Just now, DrBloodmoney said:

That's good to know - Cheers matey.

Still not quite sure if PS Now is for me at the moment, but nice to know it's an option down the line!

The game you started has to be same region though. I got ps now about two months ago to finish off velocity 2x dlcs which I owned on my account (NA) while I got the game from a friend's account (EU). Save didn't work but thankfully the dlcs were a separate mode you could access even from a fresh save. 

1 minute ago, U4oloG said:

Except there won’t be, not in the short term anyway. Some people will jump ship, but the reason why people are mad about this - years of investment in their games catalogue - is the same reason why a lot of people will continue using their PS4 for the next few years

1 minute ago, U4oloG said:

I doubt there will be a massive one - for one specific reason.

The people most disappointed by this move, and the most invested in legacy PS3 & Vita game access are precisely the people who are also most heavily invested in the trophy system on Playstation. 

They are the most annoyed because of the impact the move will have on trophy hunting specifically. It stands to reason that if they are invested enough in that eco-system to be outraged by this store closure due to how it affects trophy hunting, they are also too heavily invested to genuinely consider switching to a different achievement system and starting all over again.

That's speculative of course, I may be proven wrong, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm happy about the store closure - far from it, particularly the Vita closure, which stings me, as I go offshore onto oil-rigs for weeks at a time with work, and buying a few new vita games to pass the boredom in the evenings is as much a part of my pre-flight check as finding my passport is -

but it's what I think.

14 minutes ago, BrandedBerserk said:

Not trying to be cheeky so don't take offense to this but your profile doesn't exactly strike me as niche. Maybe when compared to your average gamer that doesn't trophy hunt yes but you have a lot of well known triple a and indies played. Not some sort of knock towards you whatsoever though. 

I'll disagree with you on that one. Most indie games don't seem to feature content that will get censored. I own and play just as many indies as I do triple a games and I don't remember the last indie title I played that didn't come out or was altered due to censorship. I'm talking about a very specific type of game, one that most consumers wether they're into indies or triple a games, will likely never touch.

I don't have much experience with steam so won't speak on that but I do know they have an extensive library of games. I'll likely get a pc in the future if Microsoft puts out more great exclusives. There's also certain games that are only on steam that I wouldn't mind playing but as with any other platform, I'm sure it's not all sunshine over there. 

Stuff like 10 Second Ninja X and Air Race Speed I doubt most people here even know what those games are. I have Assassin's Creed Origins, Batman: Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, Detroit: Become Human, all games that practically most of everyone has heard about. I will agree I have some well known indies, such as Shovel Knight and Transistor. But I have stuff that only a very niche group of gamers would play, let alone complete.

Steam is great. Everything is there nice and neat and it's easy to navigate. The Sony PS browser store is horrendous. Huge graphics that take up most of my laptop computer screen, I have to try extra hard to find DLC content, everything is disorganized. The intern monkeys they hired to design the current web store should of been fired if they haven't already.

3 minutes ago, BGriff1986 said:

Except there won’t be, not in the short term anyway. Some people will jump ship, but the reason why people are mad about this - years of investment in their games catalogue - is the same reason why a lot of people will continue using their PS4 for the next few years

Maby. I only bought my ps4 in January 2020. There were reasons. And I was already surprised that in many games on ps4 servers are disabled. And in the 2009 games on the ps3, it was still possible to get trophies. Where is the logic of Sony?

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I doubt there will be a massive one - for one specific reason.

The people most disappointed by this move, and the most invested in legacy PS3 & Vita game access are precisely the people who are also most heavily invested in the trophy system on Playstation. 

They are the most annoyed because of the impact the move will have on trophy hunting specifically. It stands to reason that if they are invested enough in that eco-system to be outraged by this store closure due to how it affects trophy hunting, they are also too heavily invested to genuinely consider switching to a different achievement system and starting all over again.

That's speculative of course, I may be proven wrong, and it certainly doesn't mean I'm happy about the store closure - far from it, particularly the Vita closure, which stings me, as I go offshore onto oil-rigs for weeks at a time with work, and buying a few new vita games to pass the boredom in the evenings is as much a part of my pre-flight check as finding my passport is -

but it's what I think.

I understand you very much. I work in the north of Russia for two months and take Vita with me to work in the evening to relax and play.

11 hours ago, Beliar4 said:

If Sony decide to close servers and your ps3 cmos battery will die, you`re locked out of everything digital you own.

Not true, you can reset the new Cmos battery by just having it connect via lan or wifi and PSN is not needed. It will restore your licenses.

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

Not true, you can reset the new Cmos battery by just having it connect via lan or wifi and PSN is not needed. It will restore your licenses.

Connect to what if the PSN is offline?

Posted (edited)

Just now, fbdbh said:

Connect to what if the PSN is offline?

It doesn't need PSN to reset the cmos battery at all, you just need an online connection. Just having an online connection is separate from logging into PSN.

Edited by Sendai-Horatio

1 minute ago, Sendai-Horatio said:

It doesn't need PSN to reset the cmos battery at all, you just need an online connection.

Yes, but you still need *some* service to provide current time. And that is done by Sony right now.

Just now, HusKy said:

Yes, but you still need *some* service to provide current time. And that is done by Sony right now.

No it's entirely ISP based, it's not connected to Sony at all.

Man this is all shit. Cuz Sony doesn't want old scrap together code of the OG store. They didn't think ahead and we have to pay for it. BS😡 I do feel bad for the few devs that just got a vita dev kit. Seen on [At 3am] one dev just there kit like this week. Man kick to the a$$. 

Here your dev kit. We close in 5 months😑

43 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I don't think anybody should get invested or excited about PS Now.

It's basically Stadia 2.0 and perhaps worst of all, if Sony decides to kill that service, you don't even have the luxury of panic buying.

You're speaking like its a new and expensive thing. Its 7yrs old and cheap. 

Just now, Sendai-Horatio said:

No it's entirely ISP based, it's not connected to Sony at all.

I'm not going to argue here, since it's off topic but this is not correct. Feel free to move this into PM.

This thread is 74 pages long, lots of misinformation, rumors, and haphazard assumptions. Now that Sony has made a statement we all know what we're getting into and can feel good our licenses aren't going away. because as long as I can access content I have a license for, I am okay with this. Uploading game saves to the cloud is a great feature I use and continue to wish to use.

There hasn't been a sale on PS3 or Vita games in forever. Oh well. Aside from DLC for games that I haven't played, there isn't a single item I wish to purchase. This isn't the worst thing to happen to a digital platform in history. Preserving digital only titles that appeared on those PS3, PSVita, and PSP consoles is a thing but you have to acknowledge the fact that those stores have been running for years and those folks had their shot. 

I don't have any ill will or feelings towards Sony due to this decision.

12 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

This thread is 74 pages long, lots of misinformation, rumors, and haphazard assumptions. 

I am having a great time reading the 1st couple posts! So much brazen denial... I think I will save reading more for a rainy day when I need a good laugh.

13 minutes ago, ZZ383 said:

This isn't the worst thing to happen to a digital platform in history.

*looks at Nintendo’s old eShops*

You’re definitely not wrong there!

(Disclaimer : Although that doesn’t mean people can’t be mad about both things...)

Posted (edited)

25 minutes ago, HusKy said:

I'm not going to argue here, since it's off topic but this is not correct. Feel free to move this into PM.

I'm not sure if its done by Sony, i would think its done via the net like any devices? If the battery dies just replace it, and you don't need to sign into PSN to re enable the games, just go into time/date and select set via internet. 

Edited by GUDGER666

1 minute ago, GUDGER666 said:

I'm not sure if its done by Sony, i would think its done via the net like any devices? If the battery dies you don't need to sign into PSN to re enable the games, just go into time/date and select set via internet. 

Yes, but accurate time doesn't magically come from internet.

Those device you are talking about all have a specific server they talk to using (in most cases) NTP protocol.

On Windows, it's time.microsoft.com.

On Apple devices it's time.apple.com.

On Linux, that depends on distribution but it's usually multiple servers that provide time to ntpd.

And on PS3 (which is a FreeBSD fork), I would think these servers are provided by Sony.

Anyone with PS3 and Wireshark can check and end this discussion right now. :)

2 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Yes, but accurate time doesn't magically come from internet.

Those device you are talking about all have a specific server they talk to using (in most cases) NTP protocol.

On Windows, it's time.microsoft.com.

On Apple devices it's time.apple.com.

On Linux, that depends on distribution but it's usually multiple servers that provide time to ntpd.

And on PS3 (which is a FreeBSD fork), I would think these servers are provided by Sony.

Anyone with PS3 and Wireshark can check and end this discussion right now. :)

Well then i would assume the address is the same for PS3/4/5. And if that's the case we are fine. 

For the first time ever I'm considering switching to Xbox, and starting achievements from fresh sounds appealing given i didn't take trophy hunting all that seriously 12 years ago. Problem at the minute is just the exclusives, not sure i can justify the outlay for both just to play God of War, Horizon, Spider Man and whatever ND cook up next.

Sony have royally p*ssed me off here. I've gone through my PS3 games recently and used the store a lot, bad enough they stopped all discounts, now to close it so we can't 100% our games? Nah, they can do one. Unless they swiftly announce some sort of replacement function through PS Now or emulation, I certainly won't be rushing out to get a PS5 when availability allows.

Posted (edited)

I love my PS3 a lot when I got in in January 2020 I didn’t even think that it was too late to get it  in fact I played so many great games there!
Same with my Vita it’s such a great little device to bring on with you when you travelling or away from your console I really liked it....

I knew this news would happen sooner or later I mean seriously after removing the whilist store nothing to be surprised for.

So then it’s time to buy all the games that I’m interested in it’s still annoying how there wasn’t any sales in years....a game that came out in 2015 still cost 40€ is beyond insane and the question is how much I’m willing to spend for buying the last items.....

R.I.P the store on its way slowly dying 😢

Edited by NurseTatiana