Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

Great idea for an event, I'm in!

It's now been almost 2 years since I got diagnosed with depression, something I had been suspecting for a while before that. Alongside some mild anxiety, it can be pretty tough at times, and I have days where I barely have the energy or motivation to do anything, even things I usually enjoy.

Anyway, for my game, I'll probably either do Gris (which I got recently and was planning to play soonish anyway) or Night in the Woods (one of many games I need to get back to and finish)

Edited by Zanreo
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I'd like to join.

Two recommendations for games: NERO, Figment, and Among the Sleep. Haven't played the latter, but the game devs are insistent that it's about mental health. And NERO is definitely commentary on mental health. Among the Sleep deals with coping mechanisms and the non-playable characters are the ones with mental disorders.

As for a personal aside, I have an anxiety disorder and bipolar tendencies. Also had postpartum depression after my baby was born. I've been medicated for years to alleviate the symptoms of these conditions, and fortunately for me the medications work.

Great to have a nonjudgmental community raising awareness for things like this.

I remember you sharing this with me before. Happy to have you on board! I 100% agree too. It's great to have a community like this that can be nonjudgmental and join in on the fun too while raising awareness. That sounds like a triple win to me. 

For those who are curious, the reason why I decided to host event goes back 7-8 years ago when I was in college. My childhood friend/neighbor lost his brother (who was in the 8th grade) to suicide during that time. He left a note talking about hearing voices in his head telling him to do terrible things and was afraid he'd eventually succumb to the voices and harm someone. It was a tragic event that may have been prevented if he was able to talk about it or knew of the resources available to him.

Before then, I never really thought about mental health. Not my own or others. I always just thought suicide was for cowards who didn't want to face the harsh realities of life and that mental illnesses were people who were "weak" that needed help from society. When in all honesty, people who live with these every day are strong. A strength I can't fathom. And suicide isn't for cowards. It's for people who feel like they have no other options and that's why it's important for them to know they do have options and should never have to feel like they need to resort to suicide.

Anyways, I read a statistic that more people were dealing with mental health issues during the past year which brought up the memory of this tragic story. During college, I was never in a financial position to do anything to help, but I feel like now is the best time to do it. In a time of uncertainty and where donations are harder to come by, I'm in a position where I can make a difference, and in the end, I guess I created this event to share their own stories, talk about mental health in a safe environment, and feel like others could contribute in their own way... and what does PSNP do best? Trophy hunt! :awesome:

• Like 4

@Briste, I don't think you're rambling at all! I hope others take the time to read your own personal struggles and about your father too.

I thought you brought up a really good point though. People who commit suicide never see the impact it has on others. I've seen it completely ruin families before, and it's nothing the person could ever forsee.

• Like 1

i like to join to Support at least with my Participation. Not wurde what to Play but maybe i am Looking with a different perspective on a Game i will Play next month and be able to give some thoughts on it. 

i think Little nightmare 1 and 2 would also be a candidate for the Games. At least i interprete them like some way to get through some traumatic Events of a child. In addition fractured minds are one Game which will try to explain mental illness. I didnt played it yet, but it is only 2 Euro so maybe worth a look for some people here in the event :)

• Like 3

Interesting fact that I found out in a news article. For the United States you will have to put in all ten digits including the area code, even if it is your own area number. this is because they are establishing a national Suicide Hotline, 988. Dialing these three digits will connect you with a qualified professional wherever you are in the Country. Very easy to remember as well since it is so similar to the emergency number. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

Interesting fact that I found out in a news article. For the United States you will have to put in all ten digits including the area code, even if it is your own area number. this is because they are establishing a national Suicide Hotline, 988. Dialing these three digits will connect you with a qualified professional wherever you are in the Country. Very easy to remember as well since it is so similar to the emergency number. 

We’ve been dialing ten digits (or at least clicking since smart phones came around) since local toll faded out and cell providers ignored local/local toll/long distance in favor of minutes (in the mid 2000s) in the United States. 

I’m glad to see the 800 number reduced to a three digit number and I hope we start teaching it along side 911 in our schools at an early age.

• Like 1

This is certainly interesting to attend and I would like to suggest a game if it hasn't been mentioned yet. (Sorry didn't look at every response to this point to see if they were mentioned)

Haven would be my choice since it involves 2 characters who escape and try to stay under the radar of being re-captured. Its the stress the two take on basically living day to day always looking behind their shoulder but also doing the same things everyday that can easily mess with your mental health. I only played an hour of if at this point when it released but would like to finish it and this would be a good motive to do just that. 

Edited by Animator22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Animator22 said:

This is certainly interesting to attend and I would like to suggest a game if it hasn't been mentioned yet. (Sorry didn't look at every response to this point to see if they were mentioned)

Haven would be my choice since it involves 2 characters who escape and try to stay under the radar of being re-captured. Its the stress the two take on basically living day to day always looking behind their shoulder but also doing the same things everyday that can easily mess with your mental health. I only played an hour of if at this point when it released but would like to finish it and this would be a good motive to do just that. 

Haven would probably work. As a general rule of thumb, if part 2 is difficult to do, then you should probably pick a different game. If it's easy to reflect on the mental health aspects of it, then it's a great choice. You may not know exactly if it fits until you finish though.

For example, I'm playing through Concrete Genie right now, and it seems to be a good fit (maybe even great fit after thinking about it), but I'll make that call at the end of the game. The more prominent the mental health aspects, the easier it'll be to write about imo so just keep that in mind.

Once the event gets a little closer, I'll write an example of what I'm expecting for part 2 for the first badge and add it to the OP. It won't be much as I know not all members here are native English speakers, and I'm no english teacher either. People will be able to make it a couple of sentences or an essay. It'll still count. I'll also help any non-english speakers who need it to convey what you're wanting to say about a game too, just PM me.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

17 hours ago, Anxiety said:

If it’s okay with people I would like to share my story...

I’ve had depression since I was 7 or 8 years old. It’s been a living hell for a long time but I fight everyday to get up and try and do things to better myself through stuff. I’ve been put on anti-depressants and other medications for a long time now and I’ve only just now got ones that have started working.

Have you tried Ketamine infusion treatments?

Edited by Kristen Danielle

6 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Haven would probably work. As a general rule of thumb, if part 2 is difficult to do, then you should probably pick a different game. If it's easy to reflect on the mental health aspects of it, then it's a great choice. You may not know exactly if it fits until you finish though.

For example, I'm playing through Concrete Genie right now, and it seems to be a good fit (maybe even great fit after thinking about it), but I'll make that call at the end of the game. The more prominent the mental health aspects, the easier it'll be to write about imo so just keep that in mind.

Once the event gets a little closer, I'll write an example of what I'm expecting for part 2 for the first badge and add it to the OP. It won't be much as I know not all members here are native English speakers, and I'm no english teacher either. People will be able to make it a couple of sentences or an essay. It'll still count. I'll also help any non-english speakers who need it to convey what you're wanting to say about a game too, just PM me.

I feel my disability might hinderance my review of it and what I say may not fully commit to the topic of Mental Health to a T. What I feel I write might be on topic in my mind but may be totally wrong. Example, Rime was mentioned. I've played at least half the game but I can't connect the mental status to reflect the topic from what I've already played. Just seemed like a boy, on an adventure and completes puzzles. I know there's mysteries that can go more in depth and maybe haven't reached it in my play through. So just my issue is just explaining the events of the game relating to the topic of Mental Illness if it even meets the overall criteria. 

This is a fantastic idea for an event, well done. Considering I've studied Psychology for the past four years (and am still trying to get into grad school for it), I would love to take part in this. I don't think I can match donations, but I will at least make one when I post for this. Good luck everyone, and stay healthy!

• Like 1

I'm in. Currently undecided on what I'm going to play though! 

The event is a great idea to raise a bit of attention to mental health whilst also having fun & donating money to charity. My personal story is - 

I was diagnosed with OCD at an extremely young age, progressing on through school this got worse & uncontrolled. Throw back to 16 & it also become coupled with GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), Panic Disorder, Agoraphobia & ADHD. This has lead to my own struggles with addiction, after finding medication doesn't really help. Still going along the path so hopefully soon will find a remedy! Looking forward to this. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Animator22 said:

I feel my disability might hinderance my review of it and what I say may not fully commit to the topic of Mental Health to a T. What I feel I write might be on topic in my mind but may be totally wrong. Example, Rime was mentioned. I've played at least half the game but I can't connect the mental status to reflect the topic from what I've already played. Just seemed like a boy, on an adventure and completes puzzles. I know there's mysteries that can go more in depth and maybe haven't reached it in my play through. So just my issue is just explaining the events of the game relating to the topic of Mental Illness if it even meets the overall criteria. 

Each stage represents the five stages of grief (denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance). I remember the depression stage hit me the hardest. You should play to the end, the finale really ties it all together.

• Like 4

Thanks for arranging this event! I suck at meeting targets to my commitments, but could I be added to the participant list please?

I’ve had depression and anxiety as long as I can remember. This time last year I was on the brink of suicide because of some kind of panic event that lasted weeks. Every second of everyday was pulse racing terror for no reason that I could understand. Everyone except my incredible girlfriend assumed I was anxious about the pandemic, but I was so consumed by terror that I hadn’t yet realised there was a pandemic (that was a shock when I came to my senses!!). I lost a large percentage of my body weight at that time. Literally the only thing that stopped my death was the understanding and care from my girlfriend. As a lame milestone, months later I continued playing Tales of Xillia (a game I was terrified of as it was the last thing I did before the panic hit me like a truck) and made it my 150th plat.

Not everyone affected has such a port in the storm like mine, so raising awareness and money for this cause is crucial.

Edited by rangers_lead5278
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Animator22 said:

Just do your best! I'm not going to be very picky. I'm just looking for a little effort. The point of part 2 is more of a reflection and to add to the discussion to the topic and to make yourself more aware of it. I don't want people stress out about it.

I'll give you an example of how simple it can be:

When I played Nier Automata, I learned about depression. There's a really sad side mission where you hack a robot and you are taken through his thought processes before he ultimately commits suicide.

Notice that I could have talked about much more than that, but like I said, I know there are people who struggle with writing so I'm honestly trying to make this as easy as possible.