Trophies for Mental Health (Event)

41 minutes ago, Neocarleen said:

My own suggestions to add:

In Between is a puzzle game with each batch of levels representing the five stages of grief. The protagonist goes through memories of his life as he comes to terms with his own terminal cancer diagnosis.

Anamorphine is a walking sim about a guy who is struggling with PTSD going through his memories of everything that lead up to “it”. Helpfully, the game warns you when the really dark scene is coming up and even allows you to just skip it.

The First Tree is an intertwining story about a fox looking for her missing Cubs with a voiceover story of a man’s struggles with... stuff. I can’t remember details; It’s been awhile since I played this game.

Three Fourths Home is a short visual novel styled game that is a college student on the phone with their mother as she travels home through a storm. Again, can’t remember details but the protagonist is depressed.

Then there are games like Superliminal, Asemblance, The Spectrum Retreat, etc, which are more about madness and being trapped in a dreamscape/your own mind. But if you’re going to include games about madness and insanity, then most of them are going to be horror where people suffering from mental illnesses are the monsters. And that’s totally the wrong path to go down with this event. (Like, nobody should be doing a game like Outlast, for example)

Another suggestion/request: Maybe as a bonus, we could play a game that would help with mental health? Like a relaxing, chill out game. Like Flower or the Aery games.

some good shouts here - The Spectrum Retreat  is a game that fits perfectly here and is a very good game too!

Also - thanks for mentioning The Last Tree - I was trying to figure our what game I could do, and that one I already bought, and have on my system but haven’t played yet, so might do that one as part of this ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MarcusPunisher said:

If I can recommend a game that you can add on that list. It's called The Town of Light and it's a first persona horror adventure that takes places in mental asylum and was inspired by real events of psychiatric hospital in Tuscany called Volterra. Played through myself and I learned a lot from that game, although, parts can be disturbing. 

Hello, ok I have never joined an event on this before, but I will join this one, and I will choose the game " The Town of Light " game that MarcusPunisher suggested.

I have already played quite a few games that were listed but Town Of Light I have never heard of before.

Do we have to choose more than one game?

For anyone else wondering what game to play, I highly recommend playing "Actual Sunlight", it's not particularly long, but since it is about a gamer playing games all day and coping with social issues. I think it's a game that will definitely resonate with everyone here, it did with me anyway.

Was it free on PSPlus a while back? I can't remember, maybe a lot of people have already done that one.

Edited by enaysoft
  • Like 3

I'm down. I don't quite know what I will play for the first requirement yet but the examples list is pretty helpful. The Missing: JJ Macfield and the island of memories and This War of Mine are games I've actually been interested in. For the second game, could I use the half finished Overcooked 2 on my games list? Me and a friend were gonna play that next month and we'd be happy to find others to play with as well. The game can technically be played all single player I think but you're robbing yourself of a fun time by doing that, so I've always considered it a co-op game.

• Like 2

Sign me up. There's multiple games in that list that I own and haven't gotten around to play yet, and this event seems like good motivation to do so. I'm gonna try and complete most of the games I have from that list, and of course give my thoughts on them all.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

I will join @Beyondthegrave07 in donating $1 to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention for every badge earned during this event.

I have Generalized Anxiety, Obsessive Compulsive, Attention Deficit, and Major Depressive Disorders and have struggled with suicidal thoughts on numerous occasions. I'd also like to share a story about one of my experiences with the stigma surrounding mental health disorders. The following is a post that I wrote on my Facebook a few days ago.

"So, as you all know, I have severe anxiety that is triggered by loud noise. A few days ago, I was out of my medication and really, really suffering and struggling to breathe properly. Now, our neighbor has some kind of ridiculous contraption of a lawnmower that is like twice as loud as most. I don't know how or where she got it, but my mom grew up on a farm and she said she's never heard one like it. On this particular day, I had had a lot of triggers already and this woman had been out there on that monstrosity for the ENTIRE day, so it was really getting to me. My mother went over and respectfully explained the situation and asked her if she could cool it just for the evening due to my extreme stress. She did. Then, a few days later, I had gotten my medicine again and was feeling much better. I was also sound asleep in one of those deep, nothing-disturbs-you sleeps brought on by some muscle relaxants I had taken for my pain and my mom went out to mow our own lawn while she had the opportunity to do so without messing with my head. The neighbor sees her and comes over there, stops her, and starts yelling at her like "I can't believe you are out here mowing your lawn when you asked me to stop mowing mine!" My mom then tried to politely explain that she never actually wanted to go over and ask her to stop, but that I had been out of my medication that day and had been having a really hard time. So, this woman goes "Well, can't you just have her put into a home or something?" What a great idea! My mom should absolutely have me put into a home full of people who are a serious danger to themselves and others despite the fact that I function completely normally aside from a bit of anxiety at times so you can mow your lawn. It gets worse, though, believe it or not. As my mother, who was enraged at this point, tried to keep calm and help her understand, this woman goes "Is she abusive to you?" Um, no, but what business is it of yours if I was? People who behave like this and refuse to educate themselves are one of the main reasons that the suicide rate is so high across the world."

THE STIGMA MUST END.

Jesus people like your neighbor still exist like that? 

Well F her, I have neighbors I don't talk to, you don't need them all, F em. 

If I was your mother Idk what I would have done. I can only imagine the fury. 

But your symptoms are similar to mine with panic disorder, and running out is a nightmare, don't get me started on Dr's/secretaries and prescribing your meds on time. It's hell

Does PSNP have a mental health thread? I feel like we should

• Like 4

Sign me up! I don't suffer with anything personally but my girlfriend has multiple disorders she deals with on a daily basis so this is good!

As for games, I don't know what to play for the challenge but The Town of Light, Rainswept and The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope intrigue me (not that I have any of these 3 yet lol). So does finishing Life is Strange on the PS3.

As for the #YouAreNotAlone bonus challenge, I'm gonna to The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (which I do have).

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

The month of May is the official Mental Health Awareness month

The site RPG Limit Break, a speedrunning community that focuses on RPGs, used to do a week-long charity event for NAMI(the National Association of Mental Illness) but COVID shut that down real fast. :( I am not sure I can find a good game with that theme but I feel for you. I have a few mental problems upstairs(which is why I am unemployed) but I wish you all good luck.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kristen Danielle said:

Or doctors trying to dictate to a person how much treatment they need without having ever personally experienced the disorder in question...

Ohh ho been there, I've walked right out! Thankfully the Dr I've had for a decade just goes with the flow now. 

I've seen people over medicated though and that's not good either, so I can see where Dr's come from sometimes. But they really need to come up with a way to temporarily simulate some mental disorders, and Dr's should be required to do it. They'd be wayyyy more understanding

• Like 2

8 hours ago, enaysoft said:

Hello, ok I have never joined an event on this before, but I will join this one, and I will choose the game " The Town of Light " game that MarcusPunisher suggested.

I have already played quite a few games that were listed but Town Of Light I have never heard of before.

Do we have to choose more than one game?

For anyone else wondering what game to play, I highly recommend playing "Actual Sunlight", it's not particularly long, but since it is about a gamer playing games all day and coping with social issues. I think it's a game that will definitely resonate with everyone here, it did with me anyway.

Was it free on PSPlus a while back? I can't remember, maybe a lot of people have already done that one.

Read the OP for more information, but in short, choose 1 game and then post later talking about the mental issues brought up in the game after you completed it (badge 1). Then, if you are bored and need something else to do or want more of a challenge, play a game that requires multiplayer/co-op trophies or where you travel in a party or with companions in a game (badge 2). Very simple, very easy to do. However, you must complete the badge 1 before badge 2 so keep that in mind. If you happen to do it all simultaneously, that's fine, but I don't want someone to end up only completing badge 2 by the end of May because that's not what the event is about and if that does occur, the person will not receive a badge (sorry!) 

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

Ok, decided on a game. I am going to attempt to finish Disgaea 3. It is a game about the pressure of living up to society's expectations, peer pressure to be someone you aren't and living in your father's large shadow.

All good talking points with the mental health that plagues children at a young age.

• Like 1

I had a couple of extra suggestions for games:

Spiritfarer - Absolutely beautiful game that mainly deals with themes of grief and coming to terms with past - it also has couch co-op

Stardew Valley - Although this is a long one for the event, there are several villagers who have different mental health issues including depression, addiction and PTSD; there are ways you can make impacts in their lives throughout the game

• Like 1