Do you feel "Incomplete" if you didn't get the Platinum in a game you liked?

poochluver

I loved Resident Evil 7 and I tried my best to get the Platinum. 

When RE 8 came out I spent the whole day playing it. I even beat the game on Hardcore. and I promised myself to get the Platinum just like in RE7. But then I came across that Mercenaries mode trophy which I tried my best to get but it's such a pain in the butt. I gave up.

Now I feel like I "didn't really finish the game". It feels like I'm beaten or something. 

Edited by IceXymphony
  • Like 2

Not really, but I do feel a little less comfortable publicly stating an opinion on a game if I don’t have the S-Rank (or at the very least, the plat) in it.

I am happy enough to recommend playing a game to someone (or recommend against it) before I have the platinum if its just a quick off-hand comment or whatever and if it is solicited, but I try to always caveat it with a warning that I haven’t got the full trophy list finished if I do.

Also, I try not to categorically state that a game is great, or okay or bad on any public forum until I have beaten it fully, and have the electronic jewellery to back up my opinions.  

• Like 3

I created this account after trying a lot of buggy trophies in gta 4, I remember fulfilling the requirements more than 7 times for the "Auf Wiedersehen Petrovic" trophy and I never got it, so I was just happy when I created this account and got my platinum finally. If there is a major impediment such as an absence of a server or a glitch that is impossible to dodge then that's fine. However, if there is a possibility of obtaining platinum, there is no reason not to try it imo.

you just need to rest and play again at other times, just don't let the trophy's frustration make you hate the game.

I definitely feel this, the example of it for me is Stardew Valley. Loved the game, played it for a long time, but never got the Platinum for it. There's 2 trophies that require you to do a perfect run of a twin stick shooter in the arcade and I just can't do it. I'm garbage at the genre and don't really enjoy it, so I'm not willing to put the time in to perfect a minigame for that platinum.
Same thing with Yakuza 0, loved the game, beat it on Legendary and got 100% in-game completion, but I suck at the bonus Climax battles. After a save fail wiped my progress on them I got demoralized and stopped trying.

• Like 2

I think a lot of people on PSNP can relate. :) I used to feel annoyed when I worked hard for something and in the end I gave up. I learned it’s okay to let go of a platinum, there are more important things in life. Now my profile is a mess and I couldn’t care less.

You had fun, don’t let a trophy get you down. !

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Not really, but I do feel a little less comfortable publicly stating an opinion on a game if I don’t have the S-Rank (or at the very least, the plat) in it.

I sort of feel the same way, but if have over 100 hours in a game and I am A-Rank, I have no issues giving my thoughts on the game. For example, I have a lot of hours in BF V, but cannot be bothered with the Death from Above trophy legitimately, so I think I can safely say that the MP is trash. ?

• Like 1

No. I decided a while ago that I wouldn’t be able to get everything to 100 percent. 

I earned the platinum trophies in Super Meat Boy, Vanquish and Surgeon Simulator, looking back I can understand why people give up on those. 

Unless you plan far ahead of time, you’re likely to come across a game eventually that you’re not going to be able to finish. 

I try my best to earn the 100 percent well beyond the platinum. Having a platinum by itself just isn’t enough. Look at Driveclub. It looks like a mess having only the platinum finished.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

Not especially, no. 

I kind of used to in my early years of trophy hunting, where I would suffer through online grinds and the like just for that one last trophy, but nowadays, it's just not that big a deal.  Some of the games on my account, primarily fighting games like the Street Fighter series, I went into with no intention of ever seriously pursuing the plats, because I knew straight away that I didn't have the necessary skill to complete all the SF4 Trials, or beat Arcade mode on Hardest with every single character.  I earned the trophies that were possible for me, accepted that I'd done as much as I could, and left them at that.

Other games, like Bulletstorm on PS3, I had plenty of time to finish the MP stuff before the servers closed, but I just kept putting it off until it was too late.  I was more than capable of doing the trophies, as evidenced by my later platting the game on PS4, but I fumbled the proverbial ball.  Not the end of the world.

Ultimately, most of us just have to accept that we can't win 'em all,  and it's perfectly fine if that's the case.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, StewartBros said:

Ultimately, most of us just have to accept that we can't win 'em all,  and it's perfectly fine if that's the case.

Right, getting 100% on everything is not possible. Just do what you can. If I can get the platinum, great. If not, it isn't the end of the world. There will come a game that I can finish the list on. Some games have really ridiculous trophy requirements like Tetris Effect's Spin Artist which takes a million total rotations.

I don't do online MP, which means there are some platinums I already let go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RadiantFlamberge said:

I don't do online MP, which means there are some platinums I already let go.

I wonder how many more people would have the Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag platinum if it didn't have a tacked on multiplayer.

Really depends. If I'm really into the game, I'd probably be a tad saddened by not getting that juicy 100%. But that's not a sure thing either, there are a number of games I've been really into and didn't fully complete, mostly due to bad, shaky or discontinued multiplayer junk. Such is life.

46 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

I wonder how many more people would have the Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag platinum if it didn't have a tacked on multiplayer.

Considerably more, I guess. There's a reason I think MP and SP should have two separate trophy lists, each with their own plat. You shouldn't be SOL because of not desiring to play MP, or losing the chance to do it because the publisher kills the servers.

I've had to stop going for the plat on a few games that I really wanted it on, more annoying then heartbreaking because I just didn't have the skill

Nascar Heat 4 is one that sticks out for me with the challenges in game, would have been a really low level achieved plat to have as well

Not particularly - I'm not the kind to give up on things for being too hard, but I do tend to take indefinite "breaks" for various reasons. As such even if a game is incomplete on my list I'll return to it sometimes years down the line, but for anyone looking at my profile it's not obvious, and I'm okay with that (it's not like I'll be starting a new account anyway lol). There's also games that I just choose to not complete for other reasons, usually online MP, and while I might get the motivation to revisit it for the completion one day, if the servers close before that happens I'm not losing sleep over it.

My profile is and will always be imperfect, and I don't have infinite time and patience to complete everything anyway.

• Like 2

Yes and no. If I have the time, and I'm capable, then yeah I have to see the plat/100% through so I don't have it looming over me. If there's difficulty related trophies, online trophies, or extremely grindy ones though, I know from the start that I can't be bothered, and I won't worry about it. For me, there's no sense in raging my way through a game and potentially hating the experience as a result.

Edited by EverythingOnFire

I feel kind of backwards compared to most of peoples experiences when I read these type of threads. I started out not really bothering if I got a platinum or not, I'd usually have a standard I'd try and reach (A rank for example), reach it and move on. When I made the switch from PS3 to PS4, something changed and I began to put in more effort. So far I've managed to platinum every PS4 game I own (currently working on RDR2), and 100% the games that don't have platinums. I still feel like I can walk away from a platinum, as I can walk away from platinumed games that have DLC trophies (GTAV for example) without it bothering me, I just haven't been pushed to the point of letting a platinum go yet (on PS4).

Thinking about it, in the PS3 days, I was at uni, while working full time so I had way less time to dedicate to it. Now, I only work five days a week so that would explain the heightened energy I feel, now that I have more time. I realized the importance of taking a break too, and enjoying other things. Like, I won't sit in front of the TV all day and just play, I'll go out, watch movies, draw, whatever. I think being able to do that instead of dedicating an entire day to gaming/trophy hunting makes it more likely that I can l walk away from a platinum without it bothering me, because it's not the only thing in my life. Guess we'll find out for sure when it happens! (and it will, realistically something has to break my PS4 streak eventually). 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn

Kind off, I get disappointed but usually just give up and move on. I loved Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep and all the other KH games but was only able to get the platinum in KH3, the other games platinums were way too hard. I do wish I was good at KH games to play on proud and critical, and also mini games but those are impossible for me, I just suck as them and am not capable for getting the platinums. 

To deal with this, I just finish the story and move onto the next game as soon as possible, preferably one that I know I can definitely platinum 

I grew up in an era where completing the story was 100% for me (no trophies existed back then). So technically no. 

1 hour ago, LukeTheGooner said:

sometimes I wish trophies wern't a thing so I could just finish a game and move on, would be so much easier but also more boring

That's why we have nintendo games for that ;)

On 5/18/2021 at 5:52 PM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

Thinking about it, in the PS3 days, I was at uni, while working full time so I had way less time to dedicate to it. Now, I only work five days a week so that would explain the heightened energy I feel, now that I have more time. I realized the importance of taking a break too, and enjoying other things. Like, I won't sit in front of the TV all day and just play, I'll go out, watch movies, draw, whatever. I think being able to do that instead of dedicating an entire day to gaming/trophy hunting makes it more likely that I can l walk away from a platinum without it bothering me, because it's not the only thing in my life. Guess we'll find out for sure when it happens! (and it will, realistically something has to break my PS4 streak eventually). 

A lot of games in the PS3 era had ridiculous trophy requirements on top of there being tacked on multiplayer that forced you to play for dozens of hours if you wanted the platinum. I don't blame anybody for not doing Far Cry 2, Resistance 2 or Battlefield: Bad Company 1, since the trophy requirements in all are ludicrous, on top of there being game mechanics that didn't age well.

Trophy hunting is more accessible now, and is all the better for it.

15 minutes ago, TheSleepyBeauty said:

That's why we have nintendo games for that ;)

Or you can just turn off trophy notifications or you can play on Steam, whose achievement system is completely worthless. Everybody on this website seems to forget these things.

• Like 1

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.

- Albert Einstein

Not everyone can do everything required to get the platinum (or 100%) in a game. It's the whole reason that rarity exists!

Other than not having completed the game yet... that is.

I'm perfectly fine with walking away after giving it a shot, or ignoring it because there's more fun ways to earn a trophy than grinding or tons of boring/mindless activities.

Lately I've been going through a huge backlog for the PS3, clearing up as much DLC and unfinished challenges (like another playthrough).

Coming back to so many games after almost a decade does give me a new perspective. It's way more fun if you can 'ignore' trophies and have a simpler goal than "gotta get 'em all".

• Like 2