Would You recommend this game?

arcanehornet_

I would say the opposite. I actually regret buying this. It's not as fun as I thought it would be, some of the controls are hard and not really helpful. I did not enjoy the four hours I played. I am into platforming games, and I honestly do not recommend it. I  however would  suggest Yooka-Yaylee, Kaze and the Wild Masks, New Super Lucky's Tale, Indivisible, Freeze me, and Spyro

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sealightbreeze said:

I however would  suggest Yooka-Yaylee, Kaze and the Wild Masks, New Super Lucky's Tale, Indivisible, Freeze me, and Spyro

Is New Super Lucky’s Tale that good, then? The gameplay that I’ve seen for it has generally given me the impression that it’s pretty basic as far as 3D platformers go

6 minutes ago, sealightbreeze said:

I would say the opposite. I actually regret buying this. It's not as fun as I thought it would be, some of the controls are hard and not really helpful. I did not enjoy the four hours I played. I am into platforming games, and I honestly do not recommend it. I  however would  suggest Yooka-Yaylee, Kaze and the Wild Masks, New Super Lucky's Tale, Indivisible, Freeze me, and Spyro

I'm the same way. I liked this initially but after a few hours, the awful controls and lousy camera really got to me so I gave up and haven't been back since.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AerisFlowerGirl said:

The completion: welllllll. The platinum is easy, the Death Wish stamps can die in a fire. I don't give up on things easily, but this was one thing I gave up on pretty quickly. It took several hours just to get half of the stamps, and probably 15-20 more painful and frustrating hours if I wanted that last trophy. I gave up for sanity's sake.

If you managed to get half of them, you can surely get the rest. There's only handful of hard stamps -- the worst one being the extreme boss rush at the end.

I literally just got the plat yesterday. I had a really fun time (for the most part). It’s a collect-a-thon but each level is fairly short. The game has a lot of charm to it too. A few complaints are you can’t turn mid-air after double jump + dash, you get gated out of beating a few worlds until you get to the 4th world (which I was not a fan of) and the homing attack works around 15% of the time. We can’t stress enough on how bad the camera is it felt like an Olympics wrestling match trying to finagle with it like I had to take sweat breaks during some levels just trying to look right. It’s on sale right now for $15 I think. If you’re a 100% trophy completion person though be warned because the death wish dlc is bonkers it’s known to cause severe malding.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HusKy said:

If you managed to get half of them, you can surely get the rest. There's only handful of hard stamps -- the worst one being the extreme boss rush at the end.

No thanks. I should also mention that I am bottom-tier trash at platformers. The reprised Mafia boss took me nearly 25 attempts and the only reason I didn't go insane was because of the awesome music. I've seen videos of the reprised Snatcher fight and once again, no thanks. Beating the boss rush would take more practice than I'm willing to put into the game for a single trophy. Not to mention I'd lose to the shit controls here and there, so keeping my cool would be next to impossible.

Also, I've got the glitch where my mountain area is locked off. I would need to go around and open it again. I spent an hour wasting time trying to figure out how to open the entire area and got frustrated because I shouldn't have to do that. I guess the patch messed it up for some people? There are zero vids on it either, unless I want to watch a 2 hour youtube video of someone unlocking the entire mountain area, just so I can even access the challenges.

So yeah, sure I could get 111/114 stamps with some effort. Way more effort than I can exert for a game that disappointed me more than it wowed me. But the trophy isn't awarded for "almosts."

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AerisFlowerGirl said:

No thanks. I should also mention that I am bottom-tier trash at platformers. The reprised Mafia boss took me nearly 25 attempts and the only reason I didn't go insane was because of the awesome music. I've seen videos of the reprised Snatcher fight and once again, no thanks. Beating the boss rush would take more practice than I'm willing to put into the game for a single trophy. Not to mention I'd lose to the shit controls here and there, so keeping my cool would be next to impossible.

Also, I've got the glitch where my mountain area is locked off. I would need to go around and open it again. I spent an hour wasting time trying to figure out how to open the entire area and got frustrated because I shouldn't have to do that. I guess the patch messed it up for some people? There are zero vids on it either, unless I want to watch a 2 hour youtube video of someone unlocking the entire mountain area, just so I can even access the challenges.

So yeah, sure I could get 111/114 stamps with some effort. Way more effort than I can exert for a game that disappointed me more than it wowed me. But the trophy isn't awarded for "almosts."

Are you using Assist Mode? You can very easily reheal during that fight.

The mountain area can be opened up in 30 minutes or so.

I'm not gonna try to persuade you but you describe it much worse than it is and I didn't like the DW mode either.

5 minutes ago, HusKy said:

Are you using Assist Mode? You can very easily reheal during that fight.

The mountain area can be opened up in 30 minutes or so.

I'm not gonna try to persuade you but you describe it much worse than it is and I didn't like the DW mode either.

Yeah I was using assist mode. I do remember having to beat Mafia boss with the one hit hero and god that was a chore... If we actually needed to use it for the reprised fight, I would have never beaten it. Most of my deaths came during the second phase (ultra/mega charge, very little time to heal). 

I appreciate your persuasion but it just isn't happening right now. Maybe in a couple of years when I start missing my 100% profile but ever since TLoU2 dropped pointless additional playthroughs, I've had zero desire to return to the game. I have a severe hatred for DLC that gets worse as time goes on lol. If you ever take a peek at my blog and manage to go 10 minutes without seeing my complain about DLC it would be like running through a minefield and somehow not setting one off.

• Like 2

This was fine as a platinum for the base game when it came out, but the DLC has just dropped this to a resounding 'Hell No!' for a recommendation.

First off, the DLC came out so much later than the game, I had completely forgotten how to play it and what all the mechanics were/did.  Then the DLC is extreme advanced tier stuff that there was just no chance of any of it being playable cold.

I had to start the game over from scratch to re-learn how to do everything, and this time through the terrible camera and controls really drove me nuts.  Then by the time I finished everything and got to the DLC bits I had had enough.  I'm working my way through the first 50 stamps, and then I'll be done and not give a shit about the rest.  The game asks for harder platforming challenges than 'The Perfect Run' from Super Mario Galaxy, but doesn't give you the precise controls required to complete them.  You'll die over and over because the camera fucked you over, or the controls just didn't respond at all, and yeah......   fuck that.

Edited by MrBeens
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/8/2021 at 10:48 AM, BGriff1986 said:

Is New Super Lucky’s Tale that good, then? The gameplay that I’ve seen for it has generally given me the impression that it’s pretty basic as far as 3D platformers go

The game is cute but gameplay gets boring very quickly and feels like a chore to collect and get through the levels.

On 9/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, LukeTheGooner said:

saw this on @AK-1138 s profile and it interests me, I enjoyed spyro but not yooka laylee so I'm not sure wether to get it or not? what's the price right now

Spyro Reignited collection is a must own for all 3D platforming fans. The first Yooka-Laylee was an okay game but the sequel Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair was quite enjoyable and gives a decent challenge without making it feel cheap.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 08/06/2021 at 10:46 PM, HusKy said:

I'm 50/50 on this. I really liked the base game, then 2 years later DLCs arrived and I felt exact opposite. Also the Death Wish mode is a chore even with assist mode.

Ah this is me. Really enjoyed it a few years ago but there's been better platformers out since. The platforming/camera is so clunky and some of the stamps in the DLC such as no jumps or defeat the 4 hard bosses in a row are painful.

Edited by shoobzwoobz
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

I love the base game, it’s a pretty solid indie platformer, I’d definitely recommend that.

But the Death Wish DLC is absolutely grueling once you hit the halfway point. It exposes the flaws of the camera system and I wouldn’t anticipate most people care to invest the time putting up the the tedious sub-objectives and final levels. I was ready to be done with it by 75% and then they add two gauntlet boss battles and a bunch of other nonsense. I’ll never understand “frustrate the player” game design. 

I still would buy a Hat In Time 2 with more refined mechanics and perhaps a bit less Mario 64 and more unique/original design philosophy.

• 3 months later...

Other than the homing attack idk why anyone would take issue with the controls on this. They’re super tight. There’s a few design issues I dislike, like the default bonk into a wall but a pin can fix that (or just jumping to cancel out of the dive). And I wish your double jump refreshed during wall runs just because it would make things more free. 

Takes some to get back into it. Finally playing the dlc and don’t like the seal the deal stuff. But Nyakuza was fun, even if I didn’t like the layout and how there’s a lot of npc’s selling neat customization items but they’re all over the place and easy to forget or tedious to get to to buy stuff (other than the circle of three selling the items used in the art for the dlc). The seal the deal rift in particular was stressful. I did it first try with all the comic pages, but it was stressful with the lack of health available. 

frankly anyone who would recommend Yooka Laylee over this has terrible taste. The camera is bad in this? Sure. But it’s also bad in Yooka. I’d argue far worse there, and the actual platforming isn’t even that good. And the level design is awful. And while I love Lucky, it’s so simple and basic that it can feel like a chore (have played Super and New on PC). It’s platforming is no more advanced than ratchet and clank, which isn’t a platformer at all. Whereas Lucky is a platformer so the fact it only matches a third person shooter with some minor jumping around is sad. 

• 6 months later...

I just finished the game and the 50 stamps of Seal the Deal. I regret buying this game, especially knowing It's included in Playstation Plus Extra next month. 

Pro's: 

-The artstyle, it's beautiful.

-different mechanics of gameplay, like the murder on the train level. I love that they included stuff like that and making diverse gameplay.

-the jumping leap, it feels really nice 

Cons:

-character/level design. it feels like a student project, very uninspiring, forgettable characters.

-camera is horrible. 

- platforming is not the best, especially for a platform game. you can't redirect your jumps, and the hook system works terrible. Changing hats works half of the time.

Eventhough Yooka Laylee isnt the best, It's a lot more fun and inspiring than this game. 

My tip: Psychonauts 2, It's an amazing game. I've never played the first one before, but it was on sale so I bought it. Quite outdated, wouldnt necessarily recommend, but I did it for the story and completion of course. But the second game is so good, definitely best game I've played this year. 

Edited by hubertuz16
  • Like 1