Oh Dear

Gecko-Byte

It's hard to believe indie devs when they say how hard it is to get their game published through Sony when literal bottom of the barrel garbage gets the green light

It's pretty pathetic that indie gaming has been taken over with literally selling plats instead of an actual game

If this had like an entire list of mostly bronze trophies and one gold nobody would look twice at it

Sony really needs to come up with some sort of rarity/ranking system exclusively for plats to cut down on this garbage 

Like maybe a common plat like this will net you less points as opposed to one that's very or ultra rare which will get you more

Maybe has a separate category on your profile which just lists plats and how rare they are

Guarantee that'd deter some of the trophy hunters

For example I recently got the plat for YesterMorrow (a really good game btw) which is currently sitting at 12.7 (very rare) which should net me more points than someone stacking ten of this crap

Not necessarily a hard game but without any good guides at the moment getting all the collectibles was a pain 

I actually felt a sense of accomplishment when it popped 

There is no sense of accomplishment with this at all

• Like 1

Well, we know that we are in a really bad spot when this exist...

Now there is a weekly report of easy plats (And we are already on 29...)? That just shows how much of them are if you can fill a video weekly with all of them...

As I have said before, always there have been easy plats but they weren't that much, the occasional disney movie game, a barbie one and similar... Now this is a weekly thing plus stacks...

• Like 1

I don't feel bad for the suckers that already spent over $60 on these games by now. Yes these (trash) games are a dollar but now that theres so many of them people will literally buy them and plat them and one day realize (hopefully) that they could've bought so many good games with that amount of money instead of wasting it on a game made by one person that used windows '98 at his church and actually bought games by ACTUAL indie developers. But who am I to judge because we ALL want our psnprofiles to look nice with many platinums. Quantity over quality am I right? 

Edited by TheSleepyBeauty
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, OFFICER_OILDAB said:

These games shouldn't upset you, if anything I feel bad for those that are stuck in whatever mindset that drives people to buy these games. 

I have Rata titles, I played My name Is Mayo, and have double stacks (Ps4/Vita). When these easy plats first started coming around, I thought "Why not?" Its just a few games, everyone is playing them to add to their plat collection/score, but now its completely different. 

These games aren't only flooding the market, but they're flooding our trophy lists too!!! It use to be fun to look at my list and others lists as well, to see what games have been played, what games are popular or have low percentages. Now when you look at peoples lists, its almost impossible to find a decent game because all the cluttered garbage surrounding it.

Personally, I trophy hunt for a sense of accomplishment and Im abit of a completionist. Once I started obtaining lots of easy plats, that sense of accomplishment was gone. Other games that I actually put effort towards into completing were getting lost in the mess of these easy plats. It was with these realizations that brought me back to where I started.. Playing games for FUN!!!! 

For those that buy these games consistently, I do hope you are getting some sort of enjoyment out of them... If you aren't, its not too late to stop. Remember why you started hunting in the first place! Don't let these cash grabs consume you, your hobby, and/or your trophy list o.o

Lots of good arguments in this thread, and wanted to throw some respect to this one in particular. I feel very much this way. I play lots of short and easy plats, because I have had the goal of climbing the leaderboards just to see what I could do over the course of a few years. It was the flooding of the market of these (what I consider) low quality games, and I decided to save my money and time to support indies that I think are better. I love your point that you can always change your approach...it is up to you. Play what you like, and good luck to all!

• Like 2

At least ratalaika most of thier games have enough content to sustain a trophy list that takes a good 2-5 hours(its just they choose not to). Most of these games are basically warioware microgames and even thier so called rpgs aren't even as long as a dungeon in any real rpg. People ragged on wisdom tree back in the day but at least thier games are legit real games with the standard amount of content at the time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, B1rvine said:

It's actually a psychological thing. Too many available choices can be detrimental to ones health. Now factor in gaming is supposed to be a stress reliever and fun, so knowing there's too many diarrhea dump options available starts to take a toll when reviewing purchase options, and makes you feel bad about the ecosystem you're using (Sony/Playstation). 

History also tells us too many shit options available will crash the entire market.

So yes, Breakthrough Gaming and similar companies need to just disappear forever.

Couldn't have said it better myself, straight to the point.

8 hours ago, arcanehornet_ said:

I know this is the millionth thread about these games, but this one irked me quite a bit. It’s one thing to release a new “arcade” game every Sunday, but it’s a new low to release a SINGLE LEVEL of a garbage looking platformer, complete with 11 gold trophies and a plat.

This proves how little quality control Sony has anymore. Any random person (or religious organization) in this case can make a quick, easy cash grab “game” that trophy hunters will buy up.

Some of you may criticize Ratalaika Games for the same thing, but those games have effort put into them, even if their platinums doesn’t ask much.

And they’re FULL GAMES, not a single level. ? It’s clear that they’re trying to milk a single game as much as possible, evident with the Bowling games story one, story two, pammy version, etc. Honestly it deeply saddens me that people buy into this stuff.

The religious ties are also quite scummy.

Anyways, rant over, I know I made no difference in the grand scheme of things but this just pissed me off.

The real problem is the stuff that is actually good isn’t profitable anymore. 

There have been single people who have made outstanding games. Just look at Dust: An Elysian Tale for instance. 

Stuff that takes effort isn’t profitable, and for an indie developer on a shoestring budget, you need that niche to give you profit. Sony has already rejected a lot of good games, and by allowing this crap to enter the store, it’s no wonder this guy is continuing to produce garbage. He’s making money at it. 

Legitimate question: People often talk about abusing the system or finding loopholes to release the games in multiple region to make more stacks and get more money from trophy hunters etc. but what about all the proper 50+ hour games that are often in multiple region? Surely that’s not to appease trophy hunters and try and get more money. No one is going to pay $50 for a long ass game just to play it twice and get 2 platinums. There must be other reasons games get released in multiple regions….?

Thoughts? Anyone know what these reasons are?

To me the most obvious reason is to reach a wider audience for people who do just have the one account because obviously the PlayStation store is not universal.

13 minutes ago, Rowbokop said:

Legitimate question: People often talk about abusing the system or finding loopholes to release the games in multiple region to make more stacks and get more money from trophy hunters etc. but what about all the proper 50+ hour games that are often in multiple region? Surely that’s not to appease trophy hunters and try and get more money. No one is going to pay $50 for a long ass game just to play it twice and get 2 platinums. There must be other reasons games get released in multiple regions….?

Thoughts? Anyone know what these reasons are?

To me the most obvious reason is to reach a wider audience for people who do just have the one account because obviously the PlayStation store is not universal.

Yeah, there are legit reasons and that is why it is there. This is often the case when the game is different enough in that country. A good example are all the Wolfenstein games, they all have a German release. Because of strict laws in Germany when it comes to showing Nazi stuff.  They can't sell the release that all the other regions get, so there's a special localized german version. And therefor their own trophy list. 
Sometimes it's because of the games language. So each store has the game with a different language. But even that you see less and less as games often let you select what language you want and they come with all of them.

There is no need for to reach a wider audience with different versions, the same version can be sold in multiple regions. Take AC Valhalla, sold in every region/store probably but not as a localized special version in each store. It is when a region gets a different version, they get a different stack of trophies. 

Edited by JayVR82

2 hours ago, B1rvine said:

It's actually a psychological thing. Too many available choices can be detrimental to ones health. Now factor in gaming is supposed to be a stress reliever and fun, so knowing there's too many diarrhea dump options available starts to take a toll when reviewing purchase options, and makes you feel bad about the ecosystem you're using (Sony/Playstation). 

History also tells us too many shit options available will crash the entire market.

So yes, Breakthrough Gaming and similar companies need to just disappear forever.

This is where the internet is right now. Netflix and Amazon have already made it a habit. These trash games entering the PS Store are just a symptom of what already started years ago. 

People who indulge in these games are comparable to people who gamble constantly. They don’t know when to quit and walk away.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Dr_Mayus said:

When the rarity leaderboard was brougtht up originally i could care less.

But now thinking about it, it actually might be needed for the sake of the community. If that leaderboard was included it could give people the mental switch needed to stop buying this trash. You hear over and over people are buying this to keep their rank. Eliminate the rank and thus you eliminate the need for consuming.

Honestly the Rarity Leaderboard might be the socially responsible thing to do...THERE...you convinced me.

Generally when I see threads or posts about toggling rank display or being able to hide either world or country rank, there’s little to no real engaging responses because perhaps only few people on this site can imagine the forbidden concept of being both unranked and unflagged (because that sacred competition to playing single player games ?).

At this point, with this weekly exercise of bemoaning this “developer” I think I should go ahead and flesh out my idea for the “Genre Leaderboard.” As I deeply disagree with the Rarity Leaderboard for multiple reasons (though I have a similar motivation behind my own idea), one of the more relevant consequences of Genre Leaderboard would be a complete devaluing of games such as these, as they would get shunted off into the [EASY] category (and not get a second category) where some people we know would be…absolute king over there.

Edited by EqualityEarth

44 minutes ago, GuerrerDaurat said:

You know something is shit when even Ratalaika looks decent by comparison. 

Given the fact that most Ratalaika games are on the Switch, someone is buying them based on quality alone. Pardon my lack of research but I don't reckon the same is true of the Breakthrough games.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, JayVR82 said:

Yeah, there are legit reasons and that is why it is there. This is often the case when the game is different enough in that country. A good example are all the Wolfenstein games, they all have a German release. Because of strict laws in Germany when it comes to showing Nazi stuff.  They can't sell the release that all the other regions get, so there's a special localized german version. And therefor their own trophy list. 
Sometimes it's because of the games language. So each store has the game with a different language. But even that you see less and less as games often let you select what language you want and they come with all of them.

There is no need for to reach a wider audience with different versions, the same version can be sold in multiple regions. Take AC Valhalla, sold in every region/store probably but not as a localized special version in each store. It is when a region gets a different version, they get a different stack of trophies. 

Ah yes right, that’s true. I was also in part forgetting to look at the actual different versions as per PSNProfiles and just seeing the listings on PS Deals for each region ?. So yeah as the long as they’re one universal game they would share the same trophy list even if you were stupid enough to buy it twice.

With that being said though, I don’t think there is any abuse, exploit or loopholing as such with easy platinum stacks. It seems like it’s entirely up to the developers/publishers whether they want to make a different version for each region and Sony doesn’t seem to do mind or anything about it. It’s good business for them, more platinums for us and everybody is happy. They aren’t doing anything wrong.

Except for the hunter haters lol. Can I just say that us getting these easy platinums does not in any way diminish the value of your hard earned achievements. Everyone knows that you busted ass getting some of the platinums you did and people can easily tell the difference between your achievements and ours. I look at some people’s lengthy platinum lists who don’t do these easy ones with huge respect as I’m sure a lot of others do and that in itself should be the recognition you deserve.

If they maybe had a function to sort the leaderboard by hardest to achieve trophies as opposed to only total number of points accrued then maybe you guys would be able to stand out like you should.

But if you’re not trying to stand out, then why hate on this and just carry on enjoying what you’re doing? It in no way affects the games you like to play or the achievements that you yourself get.

We (well me at least) just do this for the fun of collecting as many as we can and to see how far up we can get in the leaderboards (without spending too much money of course). The trophies popping (which everyone loves to see/hear) and our climb up the ranks gives us our sense of achievement in something that we love doing. We’re not saying we are better than anyone, we know there are wayyyy better gamers that aren’t high on that list just because they put far more hours into real, obviously much harder games. Its just unfortunate that it’s all done on the same leaderboard/ranking system. I’ve only done about 50 or so real game platinums and plan on going back to them once I’m caught up on these which I nearly am, because I still love real games too and have not forgotten what true gaming is about.

8 hours ago, JayVR82 said:

At what point does Sony stop this madness. Are they even aware this is completely messing up their trophy/platinum system? I get that this has been going on for years now, but this isn't good for anybody. Multiple things are going wrong at Sony: the bar for accepting what is a game is super low (one level??), the variation in trophies is hardly there (plat and golds only), game released in multiple regions (whatever legit reason there is to do that, this developer seems to be abusing the region system to sell multiple times).  

The only reason to buy obviously is to get the easy plat, but everybody in the leaderboards buys this crap and all move up one plat. It's feeding an addiction that a few have and lowering the value of plats for everybody. The world would be a better place without these games. It's easy to say why care, but I think we all deserve better. No developer should be abusing the system and Sony should stop this.

Can a prominent figure in the community contact Playstation on social media? Is there a way to report developers to Sony? I feel we have to do something as a community.

I am surprised Jim Sterling hasn't taken this up. He was originally the guy who play and point at all the shit games games on Steam and then PS4. Now that a perfect opportunity has arrived, he seems to be too busy in his own rabbit hole at the moment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Alot to be said in response to this, but I'll keep it short, as most of what I have to say is a point Ive made in other posts/responses.

You say these companies shouldn't exist, but why? Because they create small games, made by small teams, and don't have the backup to make AAA games? Or because they realize they can make money "selling platinums"? Companies see what people are purchasing and are selling us that! When people are looking to buy short games for instant gratification of watching trophies pop, that's what we get sold to us.

Me, personally, I would hate if companies stopped selling us the things we love to buy... The only thing that needs to change here is the human mindset. Everyone is always constantly competing with eachother, when like you said, gaming is suppose to be about fun.

28 minutes ago, KristophDJHero said:

Little off topic, but is anyone else genuinely horrified by the game tile for this one? I keep scrolling back to it to remind myself what it looks like and I always forget that ZJ is staring right at me. Like, directly into my soul.

Not really. I dunno, I think the standards are so low now, nothing surprises me. At least it's in colour and isn't in monochrome MS Paint.

These days I just have a quick sigh, then a chuckle while shaking my head, and then get on with my day. The fact this is just "Level 1", nothing shocks me anymore.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JayVR82 said:

When I say it messes with the system, I'm not talking about the tracking part. Yeah functionally it does what it is supposed to do, but the ecosystem as a whole is being impacted. Sony has said they want us to "feel a sense of accomplishment" and that trophies are an "integral part of the PlayStation gaming experience". How they are handling these games/developers, is not helping those things. 

Yes, I agree with this. Sony also nailed exactly that, feeling a sense of accomplishment from trophy hunting.

Quoting myself in my previous post

"Personally, I trophy hunt for a sense of accomplishment and Im abit of a completionist. Once I started obtaining lots of easy plats, that sense of accomplishment was gone. Other games that I actually put effort towards into completing were getting lost in the mess of these easy plats. It was with these realizations that brought me back to where I started.. Playing games for FUN!!!!"

The sense of accomplishment was there, even far before I stumbled onto PSNP, and started paying attention to the leaderboards and overall completion rating. The only thing that hindered that sense of accomplishment was obtaining easy plat over and over again, and not enjoying the games I was playing. 

Do you know what fixes this? Not playing the games that makes anybody feel this way! So long as people are willing to buy them, companies are willing to sell them. If you think that interferes with the leaderboards and *your* sense of competition, because people buy and play games that you have no interest in, then you were never equipped to compete to begin with.

Whenever theres a competition or a placement system, people do whatever it takes to be number one. Plain and simple. If people can buy platinums, thats how they'll become number one. Whoever this upsets personally, should STOP COMPETING!!!! Competing in these leaderboards if like competing on CoD leaderboads xD ... Did you ever think you'd be on top? Atleast PSNP weeds out the cheaters. Thanks team ^_^

Play games for fun, trust me. Not that it ever bothered me too much, but Im way less concerned now that I play and plat the games I want to, and have no care as where the leaderboards thinks Im at.

Edited by OFFICER_OILDAB
Grammar
  • Like 1