Stellar Blade [Formerly Project Eve] 2023

Aranea Highwind

36 minutes ago, Nick240894 said:

I'm genuinely concerned for the mental health of the people who actually saw that graffiti and thought it was referencing a racist slur.

How deranged do you have to be, good lord...

Is there any indication people actually complained about this, or did Sony just see random tweets about it and smash the panic button?

As a non-American I had no fucking clue what 'Hard R' was even referencing until I looked it up.

3 hours ago, Slava said:

Spoke too soon: https://www.ign.com/articles/sony-says-racist-phrase-in-stellar-blade-was-unintentional-will-be-patched-out

---

Just read Gene Park's review: https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/video-games/2024/04/24/stellar-blade-review/. Seems like both story and gameplay only get better as you go. There are multiple endings as well. He also gives context on Korean beauty obsession. I don't know if the review was the most fitting place to talk about it, but interesting perspective nonetheless.

Could anyone explain how that is Racist?

On 4/24/2024 at 3:35 PM, BusyFace13 said:

Is there any indication people actually complained about this, or did Sony just see random tweets about it and smash the panic button?

As a non-American I had no fucking clue what 'Hard R' was even referencing until I looked it up.

Both. Journalists and the abundance of people (beyond just Twitter) who have been complaining all day since the literal minute the game's review embargo lifted—a Twitch streamer seems to be the source via Twitter (which I even commented on) from the unprofessional side while on the professional side IGN had their prewritten article ready to be published at the same exact time (10AM EST for me). Other outlets followed. 

A fairly sizeable number of actual Americans have no idea either (moreso specifically the matter of there being a colloquial term for it), so let alone a South Korean studio. The embarrassing, or more embarrassing, part of all this is that in addition to the immediate ignorant preconceived notion instantly negated by its official connection to a character in game (the "R" part - "Hard" just happens to be a texture beside it), these poor racial claims exposed how uneducated the speakers are because the actual educated assumption would have been associating "Hard R" with the movie industry's rating classification of the same name that relates to things like extreme violence and nudity - obviously fitting aspects of the game.

Edited by EcoShifter
clarity
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DARKKRAKEN666 said:

Which sad sack had to go crying to Sony about that... People will see racism in anything.

I'm Australian and I didn't understand what this was about. Not sure why the change could not apply only to NA.

8 minutes ago, ZinHunterAK said:

Wondering if our number of kills will carry over from the demo or will it reset to 0 despite the save transfer.

Edited by Eraezr

44 minutes ago, ZinHunterAK said:

At least so far, it seems two separate trophy lists are showing on exophase. Which means the game will probably have region stacks. I'd guess it's a WW release list and a separate one for the japanese version, but we'll have to wait and see.

Edited by residentgamer5

43 minutes ago, Eraezr said:

I'm Australian and I didn't understand what this was about. Not sure why the change could not apply only to NA.

Because then different regions of the game would require different builds, and that's not worth any game of any size just to placate people.

1 hour ago, SnowNinjaRaccoon said:

You know..... when we were working on a guide we saw that "Hard R" thing and had a short laugh cause of it. Not even all of us knew what that stands for for some people.

And then you have those idiotic game journalists who want to create fake drama about fucking nothing, because they want the game to fail so bad for no reason at all.

IGN and all the others can go fuck themselves honestly. Let me tell you, as someone who is not a woke idiot and does not give a single fuck about the cancel culture, that I loved every minute of this game. Metascore of 82-83 is too low for this game but we have to thank IGN and all the other butthurt idiots for pulling the score down. 4 People from our team worked on the guide and all of use absolutely loved the game.

I simply do not understand why some "game journalists" want this fantastic and fun game to fail so bad.... get a life.

I don't believe journalists are creating the drama because they want the game to fail; rather, they aim to drive up clicks to their websites. That's not to say it's excusable, though. Similarly, I don't think those criticizing the game are doing so because they are "woke idiots." After reading multiple reviews, it's clear that the technical aspects like combat are top-notch, while what's dragging down the score are elements like the story, voice acting, and certain RPG elements.

Although I loved the demo and have the game preordered, even I found questioning, "What's wrong with the voice acting?" The creator himself admitted he's not a novelist or a storyteller, suggesting they'll compensate for these shortcomings with their strengths which again judging by what I've read they've done a good job on that. So, the Metacritic score seems to align with all the reviews I've read. Personally, I do not really care about those numbers; I do read the reviews, though. It's always the numbers being discussed, yet what is written in the review is actually relevant.

Also, thanks for the guide!

Edited by BloodyRutz

A few things I'm disappointed about, the different suits are entirely cosmetic and don't have stats or different abilities on them and you also can't mix and match them. There doesn't seem to be any wide array of weapons. The game will just force you down one singular path for character progression and doesn't have different varieties of play either. 

Edited by Sendai-Horatio