Online Servers officially announced permanently closed.

JamieCon20

1 hour ago, latest-purr1 said:

Well, the servers have been hacked and shut down again. It’s more than likely it’s now permanent, even though they still say they’re ‘working on a fix.’

https://www.gamesradar.com/sony-turns-off-littlebigplanet-servers-after-recent-attacks-target-community-members/

Why is it more than likely permanent? Or is it your claim based completely on speculation?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BGriff1986 said:

Why is it more than likely permanent this time? From what I understand of the situation the fundamental problem hasn’t changed, it’s still the same guy with the same access rights causing grief.

3 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Why is it more than likely permanent? Or is it your claim based completely on speculation?

Quite honestly, it’s just now my lowest expectation right now. In context of what happened before the servers were once again shut down (it’s documented on Twitter under #SaveLBP), it’s likely the developers would have to rebuild the server in a way where the perpetrators will no longer be able to attack the servers, otherwise the game environment will keep being quite unsafe for the players.

The rebuild can be quite expensive for a game that’s past the release cycle. (You can’t even purchase the game on the PlayStation 5 itself, you’d have to purchase it through the web store.) There’s also so many times developers can keep rebuilding the servers until they finally pull the plug and finally close them down.

Sure, the official response is that the shut down is temporary, but I wouldn’t keep my expectations very high.

It’s the same server across all three games in the franchise.

Except for the Vita version, which has its own separate servers and was affected by the attacks as well. The access keys for both of the servers have been leaked now.

Given that LBP3 is on PS Now there’s an incentive to fix things in order to keep that version alive

There are a few games that are on PlayStation Now and have their servers closed, for example The Last of Us (PS3) and Demon’s Souls (PS3 version, it’s on Japanese PS Now).

Edited by latest-purr1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, latest-purr1 said:

Quite honestly, it’s just now my lowest expectation right now. In context of what happened before the servers were shut down (it’s documented on Twitter under #SaveLBP), it’s likely the developers would have to rebuild the server in a way where the perpetrators will no longer be able to attack the servers, otherwise the game environment will keep being quite unsafe for the players.

The rebuild can be quite expensive for a game that’s past the release cycle. (You can’t even purchase the game on the PlayStation 5 itself, you’d have to purchase it through the web store.) There’s also so many times developers can keep rebuilding the servers until they finally pull the plug and finally close them down.

Sure, the official response is that the shut down is temporary, but I wouldn’t keep my expectations very high.

So you don't have any actual facts that this is "more than likely permanent", you're just spit-balling.

There's no reason to fear monger, best to just see and accept that the developers have put effort into bringing servers back up very recently and said they'll continue to do so.

People should just be patient and if they come back up, take advantage of them.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, POEman553 said:

Given what I know about the drama surrounding this, why doesn't Sony sue the shit outta the person who hacked the server in the first place (and take that person's access to a computer away)? And how did that person get access to the server?

Whoever did it may see time in a federal prison if they are sending messages through the server to target people. Sony doesn't want that smoke.

They can’t track him down since his IP address will be hidden automatically & Sony has a way out only if they change their IP address that connecting to the server which cost a lot money to change it.  

7 minutes ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

I know this thread is kind of dead, but I just wish to point out that servers are back up again.

LBP fans rejoice!

No... no they’re not. 
They came back for a few weeks, but they were taken back down this past weekend due to another series of attacks. 

13 minutes ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

I know this thread is kind of dead, but I just wish to point out that servers are back up again.

LBP fans rejoice!

Did you actually start the game and try to connect with the servers?

I can't connect so pretty sure this is just someone pedling old news.

13 minutes ago, Trumpet_Boi_208 said:

LBP fans rejoice!

LBP fans are definitely not rejoicing at the moment. 

I'm hoping their phrase "We do not take these attacks lightly" means they go after some people while they figure out a clever solution.

• Like 3

That gives me a clue of they're doing whatever they can to fend off these attacks and I hope they won't let their guard down to stop this from happening ever again. I so hate those suckers. I can count so many games that deserve this tragedy on their head other than this rare gem.

6 minutes ago, LoveInHell said:

Can someone explain what exactly a DDoS attack is and why people do it?

My school had this issue for two weeks and no one could work properly on the computer. I don’t see the point of these attacks.

DDoS stands for "Denial of Service", which basically means someone overloads a server by remotely inundating it with requests until it crashes and ceases to function. It's a douchebag thing that hackers do when they're pissed off with either a single person or an organisation and punish them by shutting down their IT infrastructure so they can't function.

Edited by HuntingFever
Update.
  • Like 4

Long time fan of the series but completly out of the loop. Why in the world would someone not like "the state of the game" is in 13 years after it has come out? I'm so confused, how derranged would an individual have to be to have a grudge on an old ass game. I don't get it.

9 hours ago, zgz93 said:

Hi guys,

It seems the problem is solved and the online servers are saved. We just need to wait until the backup to start playing again!!1f601.png

What’s your source on this?

edit: I can see it in my reply. Thank you 

Edited by KyleMcLaughlin

3 hours ago, buckallmighty said:

Hope they can get it fixed. Bought this game during the sale, servers have been down the entire time.

Was really looking forward to playing through it with a friend.

It will be worth the wait!

I just finished playing through everything with my partner, we had such a blast :)

On 02/06/2021 at 8:26 AM, zgz93 said:

Hi guys,

It seems the problem is solved and the online servers are saved. We just need to wait until the backup to start playing again!!1f601.png

21 hours ago, KyleMcLaughlin said:

What’s your source on this?

edit: I can see it in my reply. Thank you 

It's blank for me, can somebody send me a link or something please, I'd really like to have a gander

8 minutes ago, AlienSteam said:

It's blank for me, can somebody send me a link or something please, I'd really like to have a gander

From the HTML I could recover the URL but apparently the post on Twitter is gone: This Tweet is from an account that no longer exists.

You can still read the comments though.

This was the URL: 

https://twitter.com/ImpsOfLBP/status/1397725760178245638

Edited by Kolm
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 9:26 AM, zgz93 said:

Hi guys,

It seems the problem is solved and the online servers are saved. We just need to wait until the backup to start playing again!!?

This is not official information, and makes no mention of the LBP Vita servers specifically. The account that tweeted this is now deleted.

I really hope the servers get back up soon! I only just started playing LBP 3 and I've been wanting to publish new stuff on that game! My profile has over 700 hearts from back when I played on LBP2, and my most popular level passed 7k plays last year, and now I can't even update anything on those levels. :( 

But also because the last time the servers went up I was able to get all the online trophies done except the one for creating a playlist on PS3, as I didn't realize that trophy was considered an online one. My biggest fear is that they never get the server back up, and the PS3 version will be stuck at 99% forever, which would be insanely disappointing!