Platinum too simple?

JEDLander

Am I the only one who thinks this trophy list doesn’t do the game justice?

I played a fair bit of this game today and I must have taken out 15-20 trophies in one sitting, while making progress on the slow-burn type ones. It almost felt too easy. Win dominos, blow up shark, build camp, explode alarm system, collect final supremo and get a bonus trophy for the associated quest, and so on. All these trophies just flowed, it felt like they were being handed to me. If you focus solely on the platinum then you won’t have to play a single side mission (except the companion recruitment), you won’t have to clear all checkpoints or AA guns, hunting and fishing will take about 25 minutes then both can be ignored. You don’t have to finish all the races or even recruit every companion, and there’s no difficulty trophy for the story or for the special operations.

Obviously you can still go ahead and do all those things anyway, but it feels like they should all be a part of the platinum. With AC Valhalla, Ubisoft went overboard and you had to do EVERYTHING. That was a sad grind by the end. By comparison, this platinum doesn’t even feel earned.

I feel like you should have to complete the story on "Action Mode" and finish all of the major content in the game (side missions,  befriend all amigos, etc.). Grinding out every minor objective would be a real slog though. 

Edited by Killbomb
  • Like 1

I still think the historical setting and allure of the Assassin's Creed franchise is solid. But I definitely would of enjoyed Odyssey more if it was more compact. Origins was just about the right size and length. Odyssey went a bit overboard with the side quests and endless repetitive bandit camps for location completion. I just missed out on getting Valhalla at a discount, but from what I'm hearing, it just sounds like a massive slog that I'm not willing to spend time on right now.

Despite this, AAA games in general are substantially easier now than they were years ago. I criticized Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for it's short length and the fact you don't even need to collect all Gold Bolts. Every game before this in the series with trophy support made you collect all the Gold Bolts. The developers are starting to realize accessibility is what's important, and while I think accessibility can be a good thing, I don't think all of the trophies should just be handed to you.

I don't want my games to be participation awards, but this is the direction we're heading. I'm not really a fan of the Far Cry series, haven't even played Far Cry 5 and it's doubtful I'll play Far Cry 6 anytime soon. Too much filler, not enough solid content to keep me happy.

I pre-ordered the game for the simple trophies but I've been busy playing other games and it's a different type of Far Cry game, It plays like Destiny and it's hard on the eyes but I'll open up to it considering I have trophies.

Edited by Anxiety

I personally would rather have a simple platinum than the virtual water boarding known as the Valhalla platinum. Like you said, most of the trophies get achieved through natural gameplay which is great and allows you at your own leisure, whereas Valhalla forces you to go outta your way to do every single thing the game has to offer which, in my opinion, runs stale after 20 hours in a 100+ hour game potentially. Those cairn stacking mini-games almost sent me therapy lol! I also don’t think it isn’t “not earned” because we’re still playing the game and doing the requirements for the trophy, it’s just most games have you do something like look under a random rock behind a dumpster at midnight in Tokyo time to find this collectible. Here you can just look on a table, ya know? 

• Like 2

I actually don't mind having a simple trophy list, it would certainly make the game experience more enjoyable when I don't have to worry about missing something and having to restart a save to get it. Being able to just play through and unlock everything at your leisure is more enjoyable than constantly having a list of stuff to do, otherwise, a trophy is locked out on that save. (I'm looking at you, FF13).

• Like 3

I get what you mean, as I was thinking the same thing while playing it the other day. I'm mostly working on unlocking all fast-travel stations and getting a nice build together before I get into the story missions. Just my way of prolonging the game. I wasn't expecting a 100% completion trophy, but with this new gear system it would have been nice to have some trophies that encourage you to collect all gearsets/regular weapons and make use of all the facilities.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lil-Gocee said:

I get what you mean, as I was thinking the same thing while playing it the other day. I'm mostly working on unlocking all fast-travel stations and getting a nice build together before I get into the story missions. Just my way of prolonging the game. I wasn't expecting a 100% completion trophy, but with this new gear system it would have been nice to have some trophies that encourage you to collect all gearsets/regular weapons and make use of all the facilities.  

Something else that kinda disappoints me is that each region doesn't have a completion pop-up when you hover over like Far Cry 5. I'm still really enjoying the game but it seems like a huge step down from FC5 in terms of quality of life.

On 13.10.2021 at 3:20 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I still think the historical setting and allure of the Assassin's Creed franchise is solid. But I definitely would of enjoyed Odyssey more if it was more compact. Origins was just about the right size and length. Odyssey went a bit overboard with the side quests and endless repetitive bandit camps for location completion. I just missed out on getting Valhalla at a discount, but from what I'm hearing, it just sounds like a massive slog that I'm not willing to spend time on right now.

Despite this, AAA games in general are substantially easier now than they were years ago. I criticized Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart for it's short length and the fact you don't even need to collect all Gold Bolts. Every game before this in the series with trophy support made you collect all the Gold Bolts. The developers are starting to realize accessibility is what's important, and while I think accessibility can be a good thing, I don't think all of the trophies should just be handed to you.

I don't want my games to be participation awards, but this is the direction we're heading. I'm not really a fan of the Far Cry series, haven't even played Far Cry 5 and it's doubtful I'll play Far Cry 6 anytime soon. Too much filler, not enough solid content to keep me happy.

TBH I never understood that POV. If you want challenge in games, why not play those games on highest difficulty while working towards other trophies? Do you need some pixels pop up when playing that difficulty to justify that? 

I mean that whole argument about Ratchet&Clank, I really don't see the point of "platinum is too easy, not enough challenge". It's not like the game doesn't have more collectibles, or doesn't have higher difficulties, so I don't know what the complaint is. Who cares if more people get the platinum? People put too much worth into their ultra rares. Yeah sure, I'm sure people that platinumed Super Meatboy or other games with such low percentage feel great about themselves, but 90% of the population just wants to play the game to relax, have fun and if platinum is easy maybe do few extra trophies. 

Just butting in, kinda offtopic because your line about Ratchet caught my eye. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Forunth said:

TBH I never understood that POV. If you want challenge in games, why not play those games on highest difficulty while working towards other trophies? Do you need some pixels pop up when playing that difficulty to justify that? 

I mean that whole argument about Ratchet&Clank, I really don't see the point of "platinum is too easy, not enough challenge". It's not like the game doesn't have more collectibles, or doesn't have higher difficulties, so I don't know what the complaint is. Who cares if more people get the platinum? People put too much worth into their ultra rares. Yeah sure, I'm sure people that platinumed Super Meatboy or other games with such low percentage feel great about themselves, but 90% of the population just wants to play the game to relax, have fun and if platinum is easy maybe do few extra trophies. 

Just butting in, kinda offtopic because your line about Ratchet caught my eye. 

You realize this a trophy hunting forum, right? The vast majority of gamers couldn't care less about trophies or achievements. This is a niche community containing people who go the extra mile, so to speak.

I played games like Goldeneye 007 on the hardest difficulty, and I'm positively sure that most kids couldn't beat the game on Secret Agent, which is medium difficulty. We should be proud of what we have accomplished, what we got done, somebody else probably couldn't get done.

Look at my trophy list. I have plenty of easy stuff along with some pretty difficult games, including Super Meat Boy.

Always amuses me when guys like yourself try to tell us we don't have fun in games because of how we play, or we need a challenge every other game to be satisfied.

Edited by AJ_Radio
  • Like 1

No difference to the last few far cry games. 

Just expect them to add a nightmare difficulty again to ruin the 100 percent ?

I dont get the hate for this game. A nice casual and fun gaming experience same as the previous games and the world looks amazing

Edited by dannyswfc9
  • Like 1

No, I think its about right. It asks you to do more than a few previous Far Cry's, actually. You need most collectibles, but not all - all of some times, half of othres, i'd say 60-70% total. From memory you needed barely any in 4 and 5, well under half. 

I also think the DLC will more than make up for it. I think it may be tricky, as the 3 paid villain expansions look like they incorporate rouge-like elements (although they may be over-baking it) and I think they'll do NG+ on top like they did it for 5. 

Edited by PhantomFear94

On 14/10/2021 at 1:11 AM, Lil-Gocee said:

I essentially did this. I have 5 achievements left on Xbox, and 3 of them are story-related. I tend to do all side-stuff first, and then end 'with a bang' by doing the story. I did it with Watch Dogs Legion - a game I didn't enjoy - but I am doing it again with Far Cry 6 and I'm glad I did. I feel I've immersed myself more into the world of Yara by doing all the side activities first, and I've also gotten a better build. 

Right now we have a simple list and people are already complaining it's too simple, yet most of them will skip through the content as quickly as possible to be done with the platinum and move on to the next game. If for some reason they decide to add New Game+ trophies, as they did on Far Cry 5 with Infamous difficulty being a requirement, people will complain about how hard and unnecessary it is... so what's the point? On this very thread you even have people who admittedly haven't played previous entries nor this one, yet somehow manage to hate the game... now that's impressive.

IMO, the game is heaps better in terms of gameplay than previous entries, haven't finished the story yet, but a big plus for me is we finally get to play a protagonist that's an actual character (looking at you FC5 deputy ) so it's definitely an enjoyable experience so far. The future DLC looks promising too if you've played previous entries, definitely something worth a grab in a future sale. 

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 2:20 AM, AJ_Radio said:

I agree Valhalla is way too long. I really liked it, too. My non-trophy hunter fiancée spent 60-70 hours doing the story, and we did the whole thing together start to finish on her account. She only did a minimal amount of side content so she didn't get decimated in higher level areas. Best AC in a long-time, and I liked the individual saga-style story telling (a bit like RDR2's chapters), but a big flaw was the length. It felt bloated and they could have almost halved the amount of main quests and I don't think many people would have complained. We were truly shocked by how long it was. 

Far Cry doesn't feel like it is filled with much filler at all, to me, although I'm a big fan (it's the only Ubisoft series I truly adore, although I'll be trending that way with Immortals if they make a sequel because that game was shit-hot). I'm at 30 hours with 5 achievements left, but I've idled for 3-5 hours too and wasn't overly efficient as I got distracted by all the shiny things early on.

2 minutes ago, Aodir said:

IMO, the game is heaps better in terms of gameplay than previous entries

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The story is decent but a (slight) step back from 3-5 for me (on El Este, then the finishing missions) but the gameplay is truly awesome. The shooting, weapon variety, supremos, they really nailed the combat loop. Gunplay is miles ahead of 4 and 5. 

2 minutes ago, PhantomFear94 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. The story is decent but a (slight) step back from 3-5 for me (on El Este, then the finishing missions) but the gameplay is truly awesome. The shooting, weapon variety, supremos, they really nailed the combat loop. Gunplay is miles ahead of 4 and 5. 

Absolutely, as much as I loved Michael Mando's Vaas character and it still definitely holds up, Joseph Seed pushed Far Cry 5 to #1 spot in my personal list. Again, I haven't finished FC6 story yet but the gameplay is definitely superb if you compare it to previous entries.

On a side note, we got Nacho Varga in 3 and Gustavo Fring in 6... maybe Walter White in 9? One can dream...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aodir said:

Absolutely, as much as I loved Michael Mando's Vaas character and it still definitely holds up, Joseph Seed pushed Far Cry 5 to #1 spot in my personal list. Again, I haven't finished FC6 story yet but the gameplay is definitely superb if you compare it to previous entries.

On a side note, we got Nacho Varga in 3 and Gustavo Fring in 6... maybe Walter White in 9? One can dream...

How about Hank Schrader?  Always loved that character!

Looking very forward to playing Far Cry 6.  My favorite Ubisoft series too.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

How about Hank Schrader?  Always loved that character!

To be honest, we could have them use the cast of BB/BCS as Far Cry antagonists up until Far Cry 20 for all I care, they're all very talented actors with memorable characters, there's not much room for failure here.

4 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Looking very forward to playing Far Cry 6.  My favorite Ubisoft series too.  

You'll definitely enjoy it and if there's one thing Ubisoft does right, no matter the trophies or length of the game, is beautiful open world settings as we've seen in Assassin's Creed/Far Cry series. I'm actually surprised how well it runs in a base PS4...

• Like 1