Wow. This is not a good remaster.

ArtMontef

13 hours ago, King113hit said:

Let's all address the fact you make a remaster and not make a PS5 version?!?! I pre-order the PS5 Ultimate edition true colors to get a PS4 version of a remaster. They said PS4 and PS5 not PS4/PS5

Same thing happened with far cry blood dragon, they never said it was only ps4/xbone one, and a very bad port as well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ArtMontef said:

So it's not just me "ranting", but it's genuinely very poorly made "remaster". Shame, this game deserves better than this, damn

It was never ranting. Don't be bothered by that. I'm personally happy to hear problems with the remaster (can we go ahead and put "remaster" in quotes?) 

I was willing to give the devs the benefit of the doubt, because I was told in another thread that there were changes to the engine which would (potentially) lead to improvements.

Edited by starcrunch061
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, turniplord said:

Not quite sure why you class that as being "bad" - it was a brilliant remaster on the PS4, then even better on the PS5 with the increased resolution and reduced loading speeds. It wasn't very good on the Switch, but on more modern consoles it was great.

I remember when the game was released, many players complained that new models look too cartoonish & distracting. That's way I listed it. If something works, way fix it?

30 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Wtf these aren't bad remasters

They are not, if you like unresponsive & stiff controls :) .

EDIT: Typos.

Edited by kenseizenkai

18 minutes ago, kenseizenkai said:

They are not, if you like unresponsive & stiff controls :)

you really didn't understand anything about Shadow & Ico. The controls are like that on purpose, especially with Shadow's proposal, but that's another topic.

We’ve reached the point where PS4 games are being remastered for PS4, and those so-called remasters are ending up worse than the originals.

Truly a new low for the gaming industry, I hate it more with each passing day.

*rant ahead* 

Spoiler

With GTA it could be somewhat excused with the games being old and whatnot, and a bad porting job. Still was really fucking bad, but it could be kind of excused.
But the Life is Strange games are literally just a few years old, what was the point in even “remastering them” to begin with, for, and I cannot stress this enough, THE SAME CONSOLE THEY ORIGINALLY CAME OUT FOR, other than to sell a more expensive edition of True Colors? Literally no point. If these remasters were competent, I could justify their existence. But to take a relatively recent pair of games, make them broken beyond belief, and charge a $40 premium is just absolutely inexcusable. 

Edited by arcanehornet_
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Are they really "remastering" a couple game that released a few years ago on the same exact console with an art style that doesn't really age graphically? That's ... interesting, but I'm sure they know it will sell like crazy

They might as well remaster Life is Strange 2 while they're at it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Wtf these aren't bad remasters

The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection for the PS3 was an absolutely awful remaster. The grip mechanic in the remaster was completely broken and wander would randomly lose his grip as you played. It's why when they remade the game for the PS4; they completely ignored the PS3 remaster and rebuilt from the ground up.

I have 100% all three versions of the game (PS2/PS3/PS4), and the PS3 version plays completely different from the other two.

Edited by Jaxelrod
  • Like 1

They're working on patches. Reports received 

6 hours ago, arcanehornet_ said:

We’ve reached the point where PS4 games are being remastered for PS4, and those so-called remasters are ending up worse than the originals.

Truly a new low for the gaming industry, I hate it more with each passing day.

*rant ahead* 

Hide contents

With GTA it could be somewhat excused with the games being old and whatnot, and a bad porting job. Still was really fucking bad, but it could be kind of excused.
But the Life is Strange games are literally just a few years old, what was the point in even “remastering them” to begin with, for, and I cannot stress this enough, THE SAME CONSOLE THEY ORIGINALLY CAME OUT FOR, other than to sell a more expensive edition of True Colors? Literally no point. If these remasters were competent, I could justify their existence. But to take a relatively recent pair of games, make them broken beyond belief, and charge a $40 premium is just absolutely inexcusable. 

The game is 7 years old and came out on Playstation 3 as well

Edited by DaivRules

1 minute ago, Stevieboy said:

None of your posts in this thread have been removed. It was the other thread that was deleted.

Oh ok then. Odd. Got the threads mixed up.

20 minutes ago, djb5f said:

Lol, yes, another “remaster” but only for the PS4. 

It is a remaster whether you think so or not.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

6 hours ago, turniplord said:

Even Digital Foundry praised the remaster: 

Spoiler

Looking at your profile, you've not played the new version, so you're going off other people's opinions rather than seeing and playing it for yourself. Yeah, they changed a few of the models as they modernised the game, but it all remained in the same visual style as the original. The PS4/5 version of the remaster doesn't deserve to be on anyone's list of bad remasters tbh.

Going off topic a bit here, but I just wanted to address this. 

I'm playing the remaster of Saints Row: The Third right now, and honestly, it's not great. I expected more given how much it was praised in that Digital Foundry video. It's buggy to the point where I've been forced to relaunch the game a couple of times, and while I haven't experienced any crashes yet myself, the friend I'm playing with has crashed like 3 or 4 times while we've been playing together. Had to replay one mission a bunch of times thanks to that. There's other issues too like the HDR implementation being pretty poor and making it way too dark at night time, at least on my TV. I've disabled it, but every time I close the game and relaunch it, it turns itself back on. Besides all that, I'm personally not a fan of what they did to the character models. They look too realistic now. I preferred the more "cartoony" style.

Also, I guess this is just in the PS5 version, but Cyrus' face is messed up now, and they haven't bothered fixing it. It's like this in every scene he's in.

• Like 2

I've now finished the first two chapters and I must agree that this is not a good remaster, I expected better. It doesn't seem that much improved over the original other than some higher res textures and there's some annoying bugs like subtitles bugging out and weird graphical glitches at the edges of the screen. I'm playing it on PS5 so maybe it would be better on PS4.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Janire1911 said:

I've now finished the first two chapters and I must agree that this is not a good remaster, I expected better. It doesn't seem that much improved over the original other than some higher res textures and there's some annoying bugs like subtitles bugging out and weird graphical glitches at the edges of the screen. I'm playing it on PS5 so maybe it would be better on PS4.

This can only be called a remaster for marketing purposes.  It is insulting to come out on the same console, released in a condition worse than the existing game, and priced as a new game.  

These type of minor incremental visual/audio/technical improvements (alleged improvements) are usually offered as a patch.

Who will be the next to offer a similar “remaster” on the same console?  Time will tell but the gates have been opened.  

21 hours ago, BlindMango said:

Are they really "remastering" a couple game that released a few years ago on the same exact console with an art style that doesn't really age graphically? That's ... interesting, but I'm sure they know it will sell like crazy

20 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

It's fascinating to me that these publishers & developers can't even do a same-console remaster correctly.

100% agree.  A PS4 remaster for a PS4 doesn't make any sense to me, either, especially with the art style used.

20 hours ago, EverythingOnFire said:

In the days before patches, if your game released broken, you were screwed! Unbroken releases were once a thing, which means it's entirely doable nowadays. Even more fascinating is the collection of consumers that line up to defend shit like this.

I have a different perspective on this.  Games before patches were much more simplistic (in general) than games of today.  You can't compare the complexity of PS4 games (especially PS5 games) to games in the PS2 era with no patches.  You may have a nostalgia game you love to play in the older eras but games back then didn't have the complex systems and coding they have to deal with in today's games.  A lot more can go wrong in a game made today than on PS2, thus patching is required.  You would see sequels in the PS2 era launched the next year, instead of 3-5 years later nowadays.

Look at the GTA series on PS2.  They launched GTA III, GTA: Vice City, GTA: San Andreas, GTA: Liberty City Stories and GTA: Vice City Stories all on PS2.  On PS3, we got GTA IV and GTA V.  On PS4, we got a remastered GTA V and GTA Definitive Trilogy, and on PS5, we have a second GTA V remaster on the way.  The games got more technically advanced as time went on, with more content that keeps us coming back for months or even years.

Launching games that are unfinished (i.e. Battlefield 2042) are a totally different conversation altogether.  Even the most polished games nowadays, though, have patches that go out.

Edited by Paperclip1776
grammar update
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Janire1911 said:

I was getting the weird shit at the edge of the screen too, was so distracting. And it had to be in the game itself because in menus it wasn't there, as well as in other games. Glad I wasn't even really looking forward to these, only have them because I got true colors ultimate for a good deal and figured the plats would be easy, but sucks for those who were looking forward to them. Guess I'll just wait for a patch lol.

I don't even think the prospect of a game that released early on in a consoles life cycle being remastered for the same console towards the end of its life cycle is necessarily bad (a bit weird though) since techniques to squeeze the most out of the hardware improve over time, but the difference here is negligible and there at least should've been some sort of upgrade path for those who owned them, if not made for free, considering the small changes. Square Enix even tweeted out two pictures side by side, one of the remaster and one of the original, and I thought the original looked better lol. And I, like others, expected a native current gen port too. This isn't on the level of the GTA trilogy as that in many ways made the games significantly worse but damn it isn't good either. I was getting frame drops and hitches on a PS5 that can run other games that look better and are more impressive consistently.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RoaringMdog18 said:

Yeah, sure, don't criticize a product. Just accept a broken mess and buy the next broken mess. Jesus christ. 

You think i wanted to have a game that is full of bugs/glitches? Ofcourse not, I went in blindly THINKING it was completed and ready to go without anything unusual happening, I didn't ask for this also, I spend my money like the rest also on the game and now we are waiting for a patch. 

On 2/2/2022 at 1:03 AM, evs_castro said:

This type of post is actually really good for people that want to buy a game but need a more honest opinion about the game's technical issues.

Just my two cents, cheers bro!

I agree, the person who created this did an outstanding job and i respect that so i have nothing to say.

Also here's an update for the people who didn't notice it from LiS themselves: 

60FPS is coming also.

I played the original on PS3 back in the day, I thought the original PS4 version was already a remaster so to speak?

I still have the PS4 version which came free on PS plus a while back but like, it's a great game but I don't think I'd want to play it again, not for a good few years yet

> 60FPS is coming also.

Wait! Wasn't the original PS4 version 60fps? ... So what differences are there between the original PS4 and PS3 versions then, a slighter higher resolution?

Telltale games were always 30fps on PS3 and 60fps on PS4, I can't believe that even the remaster of the PS4 version was still at 30fps, even though the original PS4 version wasn't. (which I thought it was)

So technically that's THREE versions of the same game running at 30fps...