Ps5 controller drift is ruining every game I play

me_is_caveman

2 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

It's hard to enjoy the games I'm playing on ps5 when having to constantly deal with unwanted inputs from the left thumbstick. Extremely annoying!

Is there anything that can be done about this?

Use the warranty and have your controller replaced?

3 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

And then wouldn't the replacement controller have the same problem eventually?

It's not a guarantee that the new one will have the same problem.

The pessimists will come out and do what they do, but there are many, many people who don't have a stick drift issue with their controllers.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

It's hard to enjoy the games I'm playing on ps5 when having to constantly deal with unwanted inputs from the left thumbstick. Extremely annoying!

Did you ever rubber-band it?  That can wreck an analog stick.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, me_is_caveman said:

Use the warranty and replace it. My launch controller did this and I sent it in (really sucks you have to pay for shipping), but I haven't had an issue with it since getting it back.

It definitely has to be your controller. We have 3 PS5’s here, 6 controllers and none of them are doing that. Hopefully it’s covered under warranty? 

Where did you buy it from? Some places can be understanding. If not I’d just buy a new one so you can enjoy the games

Edited by tonkie18

My first PS5 controller lasted for 13 months before the stick drift became so bad it's unplayable. Now it is always drifting, but luckily i have bought a spare midnight black just a few months ago.

I really hope someone find and easy fix for the stick drift so my old controller can be fixed. But the funny thing is that my Xbox (360 model) controller that i use for PC dies not have any drift issues and it is over 9 year old and have been used alot. Don't know why Sony cant have the same quality on their  controllers.

I recently cleaned the analog sticks of my gfs DualShock 4 and it worked like a charm. It's fairly straightforward, just followed a teardown video from TronicsFix and used isopropyl alcohol on the stick contacts. Controller is super sharp now. BTW, I had like zero experience disassembling stuff.

Give it a shot if you don't wanna buy another Dualsene or try to find a reliable third party service.

1. Buy new DualSense at store, make sure it's same color.

2. Bring it home and open the package up.

3. Take out the new DualSense and then stuff old damaged DualSense in the new box.

4. Return the box with the old busted DualSense in it to the store and get a refund.

Personally I've had no issue with any of my DS controllers.

• Like 2

There's stick drift on PS5, too? Man - I am glad I don't play games that contribute to this.

13 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

3. Take out the new DualSense and then stuff old damaged DualSense in the new box.

4. Return the box with the old busted DualSense in it to the store and get a refund.

That old trick still works? I remember people did that with their PS1 back in the day (the original PS1 had issues with cooling, which would cause games to skip and whatnot).

22 minutes ago, mcnichoj said:

Another soul that has no conscience. I do the same thing at Home Depot/Lowes at least once a week for various parts for work. Buy the new part that's identical to the broken part, put the broken part in the new parts box and return it, works every time and it essentially boils down to getting replacements for free. Big box stores never ask any questions or look twice at what they're even accepting as a return so it's very easy to take advantage of it and many do. Obviously though, you can't be greedy and try to return something that is obviously used and broken. Then they'll say something. 

The downside is that a lot of times they'll put returns back on the shelves (Wal-Mart does this a lot) and then some other poor sucker will buy your opened/broken product that you returned and will probably return it himself where the cycle of bad karma continues.

It's definitely shady but if you don't mind being shady, go for it. You'll get a brand new $70 controller for the cost of nothing except a little bit of your time. The worst that can happen is they refuse to return it which never happens anyway. 

Edited by mega-tallica

On 07/03/2022 at 9:52 PM, DaivRules said:

It's not a guarantee that the new one will have the same problem.

The pessimists will come out and do what they do, but there are many, many people who don't have a stick drift issue with their controllers.

Many people have drift issues with their dualsenses without realizing it. It depends on the game. If youre playing the right game you wont notice it. If youre casually playing games, you also probably wont notice it.

If you want to truly know if you have drift issues or any other dualsense issue, pick a really sensitive game such as MGSV. ;) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

Many people have drift issues with their dualsenses without realizing it. It depends on the game. If youre playing the right game you wont notice it. If youre casually playing games, you also probably wont notice it.

If you want to truly know if you have drift issues or any other dualsense issue, pick a really sensitive game such as MGSV. ;) 

This, when I play any PS5 game I don't notice any kind of drift on the Dualsense. If I play Genshin for example, every time I stop running the character does a quick turn and stares at the screen. Not gameplay breaking but still, there's signs that I will get drift really soon. Also doesn't help that a slight touch on the joystick and the character starts immediately walking. 

If anyone wants to test their controllers check this site https://www.gamepadtester.com/ works for both DS4 and Dualsense. No need to install anything, just plug the controller and then test it

Edited by maiathewinners

42 minutes ago, UlvenFenrir said:

this is probably me... I am coming up on a year end of the month and haven't noticed any drift in either of my controllers

3 hours ago, mcnichoj said:

I tried this once for the PS4. The cashier at Walmart actually took the controller out of the box to read the bar code on the controller itself. It was an awkward moment when she found I put an old controller that had the code faded away lol

Not sure if I got the most diligent worker or if people just get lucky.

Edited by sepheroithisgod
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I tied this once for the PS4. The cashier at Walmart actually took the controller out of the box to read the bard code on the controller itself. It was an awkward moment when she found I put an old controller that had the code faded away lol

This is my worst fear lol did they take it anyway?

56 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

I tied this once for the PS4. The cashier at Walmart actually took the controller out of the box to read the bard code on the controller itself. It was an awkward moment when she found I put an old controller that had the code faded away lol

Most workers don't care enough and aren't that thorough, you just got unlucky. Most just take one glance in the box just to make sure it's there and not filled with paper weights or whatever and give you a refund, no questions asked. 

It's worth the try, the worst that can happen is they say no. Big deal and if you get rejected, you can just go to another Wal-Mart and try again with somebody else. 

• Like 1