PS3 trophy hunting feels much more satisfying

GUDGER666

Yes, PS3 has way less easy to ultra-easy plats/100 percent completions. And that in some ways is a good thing. it does have a smaller library and the trophy pop/syncing is annoying and possibly the worst of all PlayStation consoles.

I've played PS3, Vita, and PS4 games. PS4 is my choice because you have way more options, the hardware is better, and the syncing is better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silocia said:

You got any recommendations for good PS3 platinums? 

¿That can still be achieved? Off the top of my head, here it goes:

Dante's Inferno

All of the God of War Saga

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Darksiders

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow 1 and 2

All of the 3 Borderlands games available

All of the Kingdom Hearts saga (except the 2.8 chapter and the third main installment).

Red Dead Redemption

Injustice: Gods Among Us

Asura's Wrath

Wolfenstein: The New Order

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (this is more personal as it is a niche game)

The first 3 Devil May Cry games (they are in a collection disc)

Bayonetta

Odin's Sphere: Liefthraisir

Okami

Now, games that i renember and i don't have:

Bioshock 1, 2 and Infinite

Nier (if you find it)

• Like 2

PS3 will always be the best part of trophy hunting. Simply because it was the beginning and devs did actually care for the trophys and never made it easy for the player. The long boost sessions will also always be in my head. Platinum trophys had some kind of value back in the day. After getting like 50 platinum trophys many years ago, I got messages from random people because they have seen my profile and admired me for having so many (platinum) trophys. Nowadays, nearly all trophys dont have any value anymore because of hacks, easy platinums and share play (*vomit*). Closed servers or disabled features especially in sport games make it even worse. I would have loved to get more of the ultra rare on ps3, but I wasnt that much into going for ultra rare trophys back in the day.

Its sad to see, so many triple A games getting useless platinums that everyone can get. Its exactly the opposite of what feels like a reward. I know, I have also done a lot of easy platinums, but that was mainly for getting a hard platinum as every milestone and Im not sure if I will continue to do them. Maybe, if the game looks fun.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JusttJD said:

I completely agree with that.

There are many different categories of trophy hunters.

From the player that will do anything for a shiny platinum, to the player who only platinums the game that he really likes, to everything in between.

Nothing wrong with either of those of course, to each their own in the end.

However, one thing that I want to say regarding the "PS3 games were harder to play than the PS4 games" (Which I completely agree with)

That, in the end... is completely in your own hands as a player.

No one forces you to play I am Mayo, or buy 5 stacks of the same game to pop 5 platinums in 5 minutes.

You can choose yourself to ignore those "games" and play the things that you want to play. Simple as that.

In terms of leaderbords, yeahhh... those don't really matter anymore i.m.h.o.

I collect trophies now purely because of my own enjoyment and goals and a friendly leaderbord that I have among friends.

But, I am planning on going back to my PS3 later this year to play some more games.
(Have a PS5, but actually going back to my PS3... :P )

I, in turn agree with you.

Ultimately the bolded above is what I see in that everyone is doing what they are doing for their own self-gratification or more so self-satisfaction, which are probably the same thing.

The only thing that I hope is that whether you Lean Heavily toward the Trophy Hunter side <<<<< or if you Lean Heavily on the Gamer side >>>>>>> that you ultimately have a good story to tell.  To me it really comes down to the legacy.  The leaderboards don't mean much aside from your personal ranking and going up and down, yet if other players get ahead of you from playing good games you naturally respect them as a fellow gamers.  I mention legacy though because for those who have kids or will someday, what will your story be to your child/children?  Or to your nieces and nephews?  Will it be...Super Mario, Link, Crash Bandicoot, Sonic, Sly, Kratos, or will it be Games by POWG, Pam's Bowling, ZJ the Ball???  When the question comes, what were games like when you were playing, or if you still are, long ago, what will you be able to tell them?

I think if you have good stories and good games played and beaten then regardless of your ranks in the world, you have something interesting to talk about.

That's just my take on it, it's ok if others dispute this or don't agree.

• Like 4

I feel like all my platinums on ps3 were much harder and took considerable more effort than the lists being made today, most lists these days are just play the game and here’s the plat. Not that I’m complaining, but I get where OP is coming from. Dead Space 2, Max Payne 3, Infamous 1+2, Metal Gear Solid series, Batman Series, just a few that come to mind. I try to avoid those easy plat games but I am guilty for buying my name is mayo, the king that started it all. 

Edited by Gisquared09

Would be nice if I could sign in on my PS3, two days of not being able to sign into my PSN account [ main and second] as it tells me the sign in ID or Password is incorrect and I have 2SV disabled for both of them as I am not interested in that feature. I want to get the Platinum for LiberationHD on my second account so this is very frustrating, especially since its a 100% only account.  This I guess glitch [ I hope ] is messing up my progress. 

Just now, Deadly_Ha_Ha said:

I waited until I had 50 PS4 plats before going back to the PS3 but I'm glad I did. Things on the ps3 are how I wish they had stayed and there are so many games to get to on the console. The DS3 is a mighty awful controller but hey, that's why we have HORI 

Another one indoctrinated to the communion known as ホリ.

I spent most of my teenhood with a Xbox 360 so I missed out on all the great PS3 titles that come out at the time, so it feels so good to finally be able to play all those fantastic games I missed out on and I don't mind replaying games again that I previously played on Xbox many years ago because I can finally added them to my trophy list :) 

This whole thread made me slightly emotional cos the PS3 & Xbox 360 era had so many amazing games, and I miss them. I think it's about time I go back to the PS3 and knock out some games from my backlog. 

The Saboteur is one game I want to play again that's for sure. I think the last PS3 game I played was MXGP, and oh my god, that platinum was so f**king rewarding,  the amount of grinding I had to do just for a single trophy was a reminder of the good days of trophy hunting, when you earn a trophy and you feel good about it. I haven't experienced that in some time, I might not experience that ever again, but given my semi-permanent retirement, which might change some day, I might just have to get the PS3 booted up again, even if it's just to hear the old trophy pop sound. <3

I really enjoyed getting the 1-4-7 lists 100% on PS3. I liked that only "big" games had platinums and they were generally harder to get. Of course, there's always been easy lists, even back then, and some of the requirements for tough games really sucked (like Little Big Planet). 

It's gross to see the lame 2 minute platinum games pop up and dominate the new list area with five stacks each, but I don't play them. I guess the people it affects the most are leaderboard guys. That's gotta suck. You never even get to play a real game anymore!

As far as newer lists being easy, it's definitely true overall. However, there are still tough lists  being made for game I enjoy. Plus, if you really insist on playing Hard Mode, the trophy list isn't stopping you. If you're worried about platinum rarity, well, that's your own silly issue, haha. Rarity doesn't really mean anything and never has. 

All that this topic does, is makes me wish that Sony gets their shit together and finds a way to emulate PS3 games on the PS5.

Not gonna happen, obviously. We are going to be stuck with that PsNow BS, forever.

(Yes, I know about that new game preserve thing, but, not really that confident in that.)

I played some Fallout New Vegas on an Xbox X with a friend a little while ago, and, damn.

I would pay good money in order to get access to the PS3 library like that.

I miss the days of getting an easy cheap platinum by having to go to gamestop and buying them (for cheap of course). To be honest the easy platinum games that were mostly based off animated movies weren't so bad in the end. Cheap 5 min plat games just doesn't have that feel of accomplishment. I 100% sure everyone else feels the same way aswell. Easy game back then had some sense of challenge too. I think My Name is Mayo paved the way for cheap easy platinums but the past 4 years it's become mostly a joke how insanely easy it is to press one button and you instantly have a platinum. I've seen too many people on this site fall victim to just playing games for platinum trophies ( I've done the same too ) but it's more sad when I go through people's profiles and they never own an actual GAME. Isn't the whole reason to buy a console is to enjoy the games that are meant to play on it not shitty ones? Recently I bought a bunch of terrible games with easy platinum trophies. The other night I deleted them off my system. I can't force myself to start games like them for platinum trophies anymore. I'm finally getting back to playing games I'm enjoying like Persona 5 and Shadow of the Colossus . It feels good. It'll feel really good when I platinum those gems in the future. Thanks for this post. I might get my PS3 back out and maybe play Tales of Symphonia again.

• Like 4