This shovelware spam is making trophy hunting less fun

Pots3k

4 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I was actually wondering-

is that on PSN itself?

I can’t actually see it shown anywhere on the PSN app - but I’m not on my console at the moment - I hadn’t actually noticed that before - though I’ve probably had the same one since they changed to the new numbering system.

I believe they're visible in the PS5 UI only, not on the PS4 nor app, but don't quote me on that. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

• Like 1

Just now, Aodir said:

I believe they're visible in the PS5 UI only, not on the PS4 nor app, but don't quote me on that. 

https://blog.playstation.com/2020/10/07/upcoming-trophy-levelling-changes-detailed/

I probably have seen it a thousand times - just didn’t realise it changed at certain levels…

… maybe if you hadn’t told me, in 3 years or so, I’d move up one and it would suddenly click ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Groudon199 said:

It's hard to "just ignore them" when you have to sift through interactive wallpaper after interactive wallpaper to find a cheap game on the PS Store you might want.

Then stop fighting it and join the dark side! We have bowls of warm milk ?

3 minutes ago, Groudon199 said:

It's hard to "just ignore them" when you have to sift through interactive wallpaper after interactive wallpaper to find a cheap game on the PS Store you might want.

Moreover, with the these "Jumping Trophies" or "Trophy run" or "Trophy T" games, at least you can tell from the title, but thamks to the great publishig tactics of Ratalaika some very decent looking games have to be treated as lesser.

I know I'm in the minority with this, but since the only way is to vote with your wallet, when I like a game that's on sale for example I have to manually check the publisher to see if it's Ratalaika or any of the others that are turning this hobby into a minefield. I passed on some fine games because of this and I wish there was a better way around this, but buying those games will just make it worse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, merciful84 said:

Then stop fighting it and join the dark side! We have bowls of warm milk ?

the irony is that he has quite a  few of 95% platinums (“interactive wallpaper”) himself, usually stacked on ps4 and vita.

• Like 1

Just now, djb5f said:

the irony is that he has quite a  few of 95% platinums (“interactive wallpaper”) himself, usually stacked on ps4 and vita.

Visual novels are at least games (and I've already properly gone through A Winter's Daydream on Xbox). The only "interactive wallpapers" I have are the ZJ advertisement and 2 The Pig D stacks. That's 3 wallpapers in 9 months, generally before this became an epidemic.

1 minute ago, djb5f said:

people always want to tailor standards that make them look good

like URs? doesn't respect ppl with common trophies

high completion? scoffs at those with low complete games

used to like shovelware but not anymore? lets ban ezpz spam

ur higher than me at (insert random metric)? yea but I play higher quality games than u and have a life outside of video games 

they all wanna be #1 but don't wanna put in the work to get there

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sunnyburrito said:

@Beyondthegrave07 must be at work since he didn't see the turd on fire this thread has become.

that reddit post is absolute gold and the best thing to come out of this crybaby thread

that guy had a goal... and went after it.. a real go-getter ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

that reddit post is absolute gold and the best thing to come out of this crybaby thread

that guy had a goal... and went after it.. a real go-getter 1f602.png

I’m still trying to process how the desire to earn a plat turned into a gay bj

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

Absolutely, I choked and dropped coffee on my shirt while reading that, swear to God.

4 minutes ago, Groudon199 said:

Visual novels are at least games (and I've already properly gone through A Winter's Daydream on Xbox). The only "interactive wallpapers" I have are the ZJ advertisement and 2 The Pig D stacks. That's 3 wallpapers in 9 months, generally before this became an epidemic.

oh I hear ya.  I have a collection of the breakthrough “sports” mini-games myself and for 99 cents a pop, got some mild enjoyment out of them, like baseball, track, racing, skateboarding, get to the top, etc. Probably, more than 99 cents would get me elsewhere, even at an arcade lol.  

But then they started releasing the same game over and over under a slightly different name lol.

9 minutes ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

If that is all it took, I am thinking he already had leanings that way!  Just sayin’….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, enaysoft said:

As of typing.

The former no1 guy on this site Hakoom is sitting in 8th. Once upon a time he was technically uncatchable.

Today he has 6,591,765 points and Ikemenzi has 7,986,135, a difference of nearly 1.5 million, that's almost 4 times the amount of trophy points I've got in my entire 13 years of fairly consistent game playing. And it was only a year ago or so that Hakoom was way ahead in 1st, due to so much dilution of the value of trophies, nullifying the PS3 and Vita era almost entirely, before the recent few years of easy games.

I mean it's kinda staggering that the difference between 1st and 4th is over a million points. These are score totals that certainly aren't healthy to anyone, but also the amount of points possible to earn these days is so high.

I am not surprised so many people are experiencing a sort of dissatisfaction or burnout seeing those "red numbers" next to their name when they see their profile. But these days, even playing hardcore for 100 hours a week on games you love playing, you are never going to "win" against multiple stacks of 5-10 min games.

So may as well just give up. It's honestly best to not even worry about it anyway, and just carry on playing games for fun.

Trophy growth is becoming exponential and the only person to win in the end, is the one with the biggest wallet. Not that anyone is ever going to win, because there's no finishing line.

At least people like Hakoom and Ikemenzi have "Guinness Records" certificates to their name along the way for achieving certain milestones along the way, so that's something to be proud of, I guess?

Everyone else coming after though, the only "achievement" they're probably gonna get, is debt, or a midlife crisis.

Is Hakoom still trying to be number 1 or has he now given up on that?

Good discussion. Regarding leaderboard, I’m still seeing a lot of those disputing their flagged games with the hopes of reinstating their position on the board but at the same time I’m seeing others that don’t care and resort to just staying off the leaderboard and choosing not to hide the flagged game. So, some care about the leaderboard some don’t. You, the gamer decides. 

Set goals, draw motivation from different things, and have clear boundaries when it comes to playing and hunting. If you do, you are more apt having fun again and enjoying the journey. 

I mean a quick fix to this is having another leaderboard you can customise yourself that only you can see? You wanna remove everyone that has jumping apples 7? Untick the series. You wanna have just a leaderboard of the people you're friends with? Tick a box next to your friends usernames. 

But nothing is gonna change with the website, because the website owner doesn't wanna change it, sony doesn't wanna address the shovel, and people won't stop buying games for trophies. 

Best you can do is join trophy competition, ignore it, or use a different website for your leaderboards 

• Like 1