Trophy Spam Issue

MMDE

5 minutes ago, ViensDanser said:

all of these games in this section may not earn any points for the leaderbord ?

that would be a good thing

I would be for that too, but not retrospectively, that wouldn't be legal and not fair. But if it were to apply from today, for example, I could save more money in the future and afford one more holiday a year.

Edited by Sikutai

11 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It's well within its rights to cater only to one side of that diagram, if the majority of its members want that - and the majority of members of this one joined prior to the exponential rise of the other side of the diagram.

What site functionality did your side of the diagram lose when the other side showed up?

From what I can tell, the leaderboards are working exactly as intended and functioning perfectly. You earn trophies, you get a score, your score is ranked. You haven't lost anything. Your side of the diagram just seems to be whining because they have to share space. They don't like the fact that they have to even look at these dregs that they call "addicts".

From what I can tell 95% of the complaints are driven by overwrought disgust. I'm not sure why that demands action.

1 minute ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

What site functionality did your side of the diagram lose when the other side showed up?

From what I can tell, the leaderboards are working exactly as intended and functioning perfectly. You earn trophies, you get a score, your score is ranked. You haven't lost anything. Your side of the diagram just seems to be whining because they have to share space. They don't like the fact that they have to even look at these dregs that they call "addicts".

From what I can tell 95% of the complaints are driven by overwrought disgust. I'm not sure why that demands action.

I don't think it lost any :dunno:

I've actually been pretty vocal about my "live and let live" stance on this - and my opposition to amending leaderboards etc - as most of the site members would confirm.

If you're looking for someone to lose their cool, or come back at you with some Difficulty or Rarity Elitism, you picked the wrong mark. If there's anything I'm elitist about, it's game quality - and that's not a metric than can be measured with numbers or leaderboards - it's all about discussion and nuance.

However, I am a gamer, and can't deny it was disheartening to see such a massive swathe of artless, joyless, cynical products drowning out all the games on the site, to the extent that it was becoming difficult to find the games among them. So is the change a massive change for me? Not really - but it's welcome. It makes the site marginally more user-friendly for me.

That's not my point though - my point is, you are fighting a losing battle with this argument - because the converse is also true. 

What functionality have you lost, by not seeing the Shovelware games in the new release list, without pushing a button?

None...

... so what exactly is your issue with the change?

If you maintain the assertion that the change will make no difference to me... and to you... then why would you mind how the site chooses to filter its game list?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

median inconvenience level has dropped

For whom?

the change only affects this site. It's not a site for advertising new games, shopping, or store browsing. It's not a site for previews, reviews, or 'before-you-buy' columns. The PS Store hasn't changed.

The inconvenience has been removed for the population of gamers who:

1. Use this site to shop for new games (or to "decide what to play")
  2. Couldn't get that information from any of the dozens and dozens of places specifically made for that purpose.
  3. Aren't trophy hunting on a level competitive enough to want to see the "shovelware".

It's a pretty narrow population, don't ya think?

Everyone seems to be worried about some poor underprivileged but extremely hard working "indie" game developer who happened to program that rare gem that everybody loves but no one's ever heard about. Let's shed a tear for this poor aggrieved soul who is a genius at game design but apparently completely blows at marketing, sales, product placement, and every other skill a businessperson needs to deliver their product to a market. Let's shut down other businesses so this guy doesn't have to endure any consequences for his complete lack of competitive savvy.

It all sounds so made up. I don't believe anyone is actually affected positively by this change. It seems to me that it's just a hand-waving exercise of appeasement.

Edited by GraniteBeast603

7 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

For whom?

the change only affects this site. It's not a site for advertising new games, shopping, or store browsing. It's not a site for previews, reviews, or 'before-you-buy' columns. The PS Store hasn't changed.

The inconvenience has been removed for the population of gamers who:

1. Use this site to shop for new games (or to "decide what to play")
  2. Couldn't get that information from any of the dozens and dozens of places specifically made for that purpose.
  3. Aren't trophy hunting on a level competitive enough to want to see the "shovelware".

It's a pretty narrow population, don't ya think?

Everyone seems to be worried about some poor underprivileged but extremely hard working "indie" game developer who happened to program that rare gem that everybody loves but no one's ever heard about. Let's shed a tear for this poor aggrieved soul who is a genius at game design but apparently completely blows at marketing, sales, product placement, and every other skill a businessperson needs to deliver their product to a market. Let's shut down other businesses so this guy doesn't have to endure any consequences for his complete late of competitive savvy.

It all sounds so made up. I don't believe anyone is actually affected positively by this change. It seems to me that it's just a hand-waving exercise of appeasement.

Again - your argument is nonsensical, because it is predicated on doublethink.

You are saying both:

"This change is wrong, because it inconveniences people like me, who now need to press an extra button to find my new releases"

and

"No one uses this list to find new releases, so there was nothing wrong with it before"

If one is true, then the other can't be.

If it matters what games are shown in that list, then the site should cater to the dominant user-base - and the majority user base doesn't want to see them by default.

If it doesn't matter what games are shown in that list, then you have no basis for complaint, since, well... it doesn't matter.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Again - you're argument is nonsensical, because it is predicated on doublethink.

You are saying both:

"This change is wrong, because it inconveniences people like me, who now need to press an extra button to find my new releases"

Not me. I took my money out of this industry quite a while ago. I only buy physical copies of games on the secondary market. However, an analogous example would be if I complained that Ebay should filter out annual sports titles (Madden, Fifa, etc) from retro video game search results. Requesting that kind of change would be "wrong" because it's an exercise in spoiled, selfish, elitism.

"No one uses this list to find new releases, so there was nothing wrong with it before"

Which is why whining for change would be an exercise in spoiled, selfish, elitism.

I think my thoughts are consistent across the board. No doublethink at work here.

If you see a bear in your yard, don't throw a steak out the window hoping he'll be satisfied and go away. It won't be satisfied. It will come back. And if it doesn't get another steak, it will maul your face off.

Sly gave the bears a steak yesterday. Let's see if he still has a face in two weeks. 

Edited by GraniteBeast603

52 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

I would be for that too, but not retrospectively, that wouldn't be legal and not fair. But if it were to apply from today, for example, I could save more money in the future and afford one more holiday a year.

Legal? You will still have all your trophies, level and whatever in the PSN app and your console, in the other hand PSNP isnt sony affiliated, if Sly wants tomorrow to not count all trophies that start with "a", he can, thats why we always have called for Sly whenever we wanted something change... and waited... and waited...

55 minutes ago, GraniteBeast603 said:

Sly gave the bears a steak yesterday. Let's see if he still has a face in two weeks. 

lol, Sly has been attacked in thia forums for a long time, he is immortal now, imagine how a shitshow this shovelware is than even Sly did something xD

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Well, it won’t benefit you anymore, since you can’t sell this crap as easily anymore.

I mean, I'm sure not having it plastered on the front page that this stuff exists will have an effect on sales. But it's still going to happen. This change will only exclude the normies, the folks who buy cheap, easy stacks are still going to do that.

Not that I particularly object either way.

Edited by Jelly Soup

4 minutes ago, DeepEyes7 said:

lol, Sly has been attacked in thia forums for a long time, he is immortal now, imagine how a shitshow this shovelware is than even Sly did something xD

"Let's see if he still has a face"

Have you ever read something so stupid in your entire life? I can @Sly Ripper and confirm for him how much this community has bashed him for years AS IF HE DOESN'T FUCKING KNOW

But we're also all willing to give credit where credit is due and OBVIOUSLY this has made the REAL community happy, and sly ALSO knows that. If he was gonna get his face torn off it would have happened by now but clearly the dude works his own website. Why is that troll you quoted still in this thread?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Infected Elite said:

now Rainbow mix is showing even when hiding shovelware when its nothing more than a 1min Plat that BadDriver can make a stupid youtube video about .

The GIT needs to manually select the shovelware games.

Since it is removed now, the idea was to label this game as shovelware (cuz it is), but the GIT didnt came around to doing it yet.

Unfortunately this is still a thing that will exist in the future, but it's better to have it up for 30 minutes then up for forever imo.

• Like 3