Bingo Bonanza 2023[ENDED]

Also late to the party but sounds fun, will give this a go too!

0281f3.png

---------------------------

305034.png

Alright, I have a bit of an action plan now, mostly from scouring through the old backlog. I've left the vaguer ones blank for the time being so I can fit in things I really like the look of, and as I have some guide-writing plans this year some things may be replaced to fit in with that. Few notes:

• I finished Riders Republic this year but before joining up to this so I'm not sure if that one is allowed. No worries if not though, I'm not against finding a different one to do.
  • Tokyo Jungle just about counts as a non-human sidekick game, I think... I believe you have other animals helping you out on your road to survival. Will be glad to get this off my backlog finally.
  • I probably could be more adventurous with the punctuation one as a title with a colon isn't exactly unusual. Been meaning to get Peace Walker started for a while now but I don't know if I'm in the mood to start another grindy game this year, so I'll have to see how I feel about that one.
  • After reading about the buggy trophies for UNO I may swap it with Planet of the Apes: Last Frontier.
Edited by Charizarzar
  • Like 4

On 31/03/2023 at 10:30 PM, Finch_III said:

My third monthly update. Managing to maintain a schedule of three games a month so far! New games added below. 

kWpOFQdl.png

O5 - My platform exclusive choice was Horizon Forbidden West. Really enjoyed this. I haven't played a lot of AAA open-world games in recent years, and much preferred this to the original. It was unfortunate it released at the same time as Elden Ring really – that was always going to be a tough one to compete with. But I enjoyed this more than Ghosts of Tsushima, which I also played recently and thought was hugely over-rated. As for HFW, I thought the graphics were great, the main quest and stories were reasonably interesting, and a decent amount of exploration and points of interest. 

Hmmn, having re-read the original post, I think my 'platform exclusive' won't count. I assumed it meant exclusive to, say, PlayStation (not on Steam, X-Box etc), but it seems that it's specific to a gaming system. HFW was released on both PS4 and PS5, so I'm guessing it doesn't count? 

It's no biggie if it doesn't, as I can slot it in elsewhere (female protagonist). 

Edited by Finch_III

UvJHlNJ.png

B1:  OMNO ☑️
B2: Doki-Doki Literature Club
B3: Disney Dreamlight Valley
B4: DayZ
B5: Stories: The Path Of Destinies
I1: Need For Speed: Unbound

I2: Meet Your Maker ☑️
I3: Blizzard Arcade Collection
I4: Saints Row (2022)

I5: Trine 4: The Nightmare Prince
N1: Ape Escape
N2:  Opus Castle 
☑️
N3: Final Fantasy IX
N4: Salamander County Public Television 
☑️

N5: The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe

G1: Gabbuchi ☑️

G2: Goat Simulator 3 ☑️

G3: Pinball Heroes ☑️

G4: Inside ☑️

G5: The Sexy Brutale ☑️
O1:

O2: Cyberpunk 2077 ☑️

O3: Lego Bricktales

O4: Puzzletronics: Digital Infinite ☑️

O5: Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (2022)

Another two games slotted into the board, Salamander County Public Television, and Meet Your Maker

I'm a sucker for quirky games so despite it bordering shovel-ware territory, I had a lot of fun with Salamander, it's just a collection of very odd minigames, closest thing I can think of would be warioware-type gameplay
Grabbed meet your maker from ps plus of course and absolutely love it, going to still be playing this one despite the platinum, so satisfying creating a level that gets people stumped 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

I could use a recommendation for my recommended square, if anyone has any recommendations for me. Preferably an incomplete game on my list, if anyone has time to look through it. In the meantime, I'll work on the couple of games I need to beat so I can sell. And hopefully they'll fit somewhere in here lol.

Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition seems a good choice. The main story isn't that long and it's my favorite of the Survivor Trilogy. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I could use a recommendation for my recommended square, if anyone has any recommendations for me. Preferably an incomplete game on my list, if anyone has time to look through it. In the meantime, I'll work on the couple of games I need to beat so I can sell. And hopefully they'll fit somewhere in here lol.

Depends on how much time you'd like to invest. If you're looking for something quick and easy, I'd probably go for Stray, which is mostly done and a pretty easy game to wipe off your list! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I could use a recommendation for my recommended square, if anyone has any recommendations for me. Preferably an incomplete game on my list, if anyone has time to look through it.

I cannot even begin to describe the length, width and total tonnage of how much I recommend Outer Wilds, which you have on your list, but without any trophies yet...

...an amazing game from start to finish!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ExHaseo said:

I lied. I'm back.

gbkiCQU.png

That's Bingo #4, not that it matters anymore lel.

B3 - Developed in a Foreign Country - Mega Man 11 - I didn't have anywhere else to put this, so it's going here. Since I live in the US and it was made in Japan. My PS2 is having issues (the power cord seems to be going out, it randomly turns itself off), so I started going through my PS4 games to see what I could sell and what games I needed to beat before I could sell. This is one of the few games I need to beat before I can sell it. I legitimately forgot I had this game before I started going through everything. It had a generic case, and I keep those separate from my complete games, so I tend to forget about these a lot.

Anyway, with this I have one again beaten every Mega Man game. Classic Mega Man at least. I still need to beat the Star Force games, Battle Network 4-5-6, X7, and Xtreme 1 to have beaten all of them. At least of the localized games anyway. I'm sure there's some Japanese only games I have no idea even exist. Anyway, this sure was a Mega Man game. It was alright in the grand scheme of Mega Man games. I'd throw it somewhere in the middle. My favorite is still Mega Man 3 closely followed by Mega Man and Bass. The double gear system was neat, but I didn't think it added all that much. I also thought it was really weird that there was no mid-game level. But yeah, it was a classic Mega Man game. If you like classic Mega Man, you'll like this. I've always liked the X series way more, as it did everything the classic series did, but better and with more stuff. So it's kind of a bummer they keep reviving the classic series rather than the X series. Or even just adding the X series changes into the newer games. I really think these revivals would do so much better if they did.

For something quick (although it may not feel that way, lol) I'd say Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I personally love it but it's definitely not for everyone. Seems like you still play on your PS3 so I'd also say Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon for something a bit meatier but still short.

But there are good recommendations above too (it's a good thing this event is only about finishing the story though, because the grind for that Tomb Raider plat is horrible).

• Like 1

A quick question for @Squirlruler on the 'Platform exclusive' tab. Would Returnal count? Given that it was originally a PS5 exclusive, but has since been released on Steam a couple of years later? I'm not really fussed either way, as I've got other options – and I appreciate this is all just a bit of fun! – but I thought I'd check haha. 

Otherwise, I think I'll just get the Horizon Forbidden West DLC, as I recently completed the main game, and the DLC has only been released on PS5. 

My April update: 

LNvVDtul.png

B1 – Released in your birthday month. Goddamn, this proved to be trickier than I thought. It seems October is Call of Duty month, and not much else. So, after scrawling through cheap games I'd bought in my back catalogue, I found Neversong, which is advertised as a 'psychological action adventure'. In reality, it's more of a platformer in the mould of Limbo. It was a pretty short and sweet game, with some interesting themes. Completing it was relatively easy (3-4 hours), but the platinum is a bastard, as you have to do a one-hour speed run, a no-hits run and a no deaths run. Still working on the platinum... but for the purposes of the Bingo Challenge, I've completed it. 

B3 – Releasing your inner weeb. Not too hard for me this, as I watch a decent amount of anime and enjoy JRPGs. I chose Scarlet Nexus, and if I'm honest, I was pretty disappointed. There was loads I didn't really like about it – the characters were very generic; the combat was satisfying at first, but quickly became repetitive due to a lack of variety in enemies; and the side quests were some of the worst I've seen in a modern game. The plot was pretty convoluted too, and the bond episodes felt a bit forced/cringe-y. I know a lot of people loved it though, so I must be missing something! Ultimately, I was pretty eager to get it finished and off my backlog. I pretty much skipped all the dialogue and cut scenes in my second playthrough. 

B4 – Sci-Fi or fantasy themes. I chose Armello for this, a game that I've been putting off playing for a long time because it has a couple of really difficult trophies. This is a tabletop/card fantasy game, with anthropomorphic animals (shame I didn't have that bingo square!). Each game is only 20 or so minutes long, so it was tough to decide what counted as 'completion'. Ultimately, there are trophies linked to multiple victory types, and a trophy for winning a game with certain characters – so I counted it as finished after I'd done all those (70% trophy completion). It's a really fun little game, although it's going to be a chore getting the remaining trophies for other challenges I'm doing this year. It's an Ultra Rare platinum though, so there's that. 

I'm still short of my first Bingo line because I removed Horizon Forbidden West from my 'platform exclusive' tile, as it's not technically exclusive to PS5. Maybe next month... 

Edited by Finch_III
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, Finch_III said:

A quick question for @Squirlruler on the 'Platform exclusive' tab. Would Returnal count? Given that it was originally a PS5 exclusive, but has since been released on Steam a couple of years later? I'm not really fussed either way, as I've got other options – and I appreciate this is all just a bit of fun! – but I thought I'd check haha. 

Otherwise, I think I'll just get the Horizon Forbidden West DLC, as I recently completed the main game, and the DLC has only been released on PS5. 

I think I am going to encourage a stricter view on this tile. Go for the DLC :D

• Like 1

On 4/21/2023 at 2:14 PM, Taruta13 said:

Would the Final Fantasy Pixel Remasters be considered a reboot? I'd love to put either that or the Megaman Battle Network legacy collections in this card but they have no spot for them. :(

I did not notice anyone provide you any insight.  If you were asking me, I would say that a "remaster" is not the same as a "reboot".  I would say that 2018 God of war, or FF VII Remake would be good examples of reboots (or bloodstained ritual of the night as a spiritual successor which I used).  Since the pixel remaster is effectively the same game, I would not classify it as a reboot.

That being said, I believe the spirit of this competition is what you feel comfortable with, as long as you can make your case.  So if you can make a case for the pixel remasters being reboots, then you should be good.

• Like 1