Guide Writer's Headquarters

On 10/17/2017 at 0:24 PM, audiopile said:

Would it be possible to have a place where members could see started guides as well as the submitted guides queue?  

Would save us lots of questions and wonderment about when a guide might be published or if it needs to be written.  Just a thought. 

Of course, this is only for ones that people actually report. I'm sure there are plenty that are being written that aren't on here, but it is at least some sort of resource.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/11/2017 at 1:54 PM, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I found out there's a Xenoverse guide but it was made for PS4 so you can't see it on your profile if you are looking at the trophies of the PS3 version, this probably should be changed for both PS3 and PS4 Dragon Ball Xenoverse Trophy Guide

I agree with this, if it hasn't been done by now.

18 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I don't think there's a guide for Lightning Returns.

Yakuza Kiwami and Disgaea 5 maybe 

15 hours ago, Alternatewarning said:

I know there used to be a guide for Lightning Returns.  I could swear I've looked at it before

There used to be a guide for Lightning Returns, but the author requested the guide to be unpublished.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 11:54 AM, Uchiha_Snake__ said:

I found out there's a Xenoverse guide but it was made for PS4 so you can't see it on your profile if you are looking at the trophies of the PS3 version, this probably should be changed for both PS3 and PS4 Dragon Ball Xenoverse Trophy Guide

I've linked these two lists ;) 

• Like 1

I didn't know this list existed. I made one guide for a tiny game and it kind of felt like I wasted my time because it was something no one is interested in. I see a few games on here that are in my backlog. I'll make sure to create a guide for them when I do. I'm going to aim for Lords of the Fallen first. However, I am vested into a Christmas event currently, so I have a few games ahead of this in line. 

• Like 1

The Lords of the Fallen guide is underway. I have the text portion of the guide mostly complete. Most of the trophy requirements are pretty clear and it's just a matter of doing some thing X amount of times. I'm still working my way through the game and I think I'm about halfway through the first playthrough. I'm also trying to capture video of most things on the PS4. If it doesn't eat up too much time, I will try to have a video explaining each trophy. I'm not really rushing through trying to get it published, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to submit it by the end of the year. 

• Like 2

I'm kind of surprised BioShock 2 is missing a Protector Trials DLC guide for both consoles, I guess that could be added to the main thread. But what I'm really here to mention is that the Marvel Heroes Omega Guides: Main Game & DLC need editing. Each trophy is now unobtainable, so the unattainable tag needs to be applied to each trophy in the guides. I viewed the guide writer's profile but it seems like they aren't much of a forum user, so I suggest that someone on the Guide Team takes control and edits the tags to include "Unattainable" for each trophy. 

2 hours ago, Sergen said:

I'm kind of surprised BioShock 2 is missing a Protector Trials DLC guide for both consoles, I guess that could be added to the main thread. But what I'm really here to mention is that the Marvel Heroes Omega Guides: Main Game & DLC need editing. Each trophy is now unobtainable, so the unattainable tag needs to be applied to each trophy in the guides. I viewed the guide writer's profile but it seems like they aren't much of a forum user, so I suggest that someone on the Guide Team takes control and edits the tags to include "Unattainable" for each trophy. 

Done, thanks for the heads up.

• Like 1

TLDR: I'm not working on the Lords of the Fallen guide anymore, so it's up for grabs if someone else wants to. 

I'm cancelling on the Lords of the Fallen guide that was in progress. I had a couple of other guides that I was working on that have been rejected from publication. I focused on one of those guides and I agree that it was rejected initially for a good reason. It was a simple game and I gave really brief explanations on how to earn the trophies. After the rejection, I spent a few hours making improvements and expanding on the trophy descriptions and it got rejected again. This time because I did not link to other trophies when they were mentioned within the description of a specific trophy. An example would be some like "While working on getting  trophy A for 100 collectibles, you'll also pop trophyB for collecting 10 of these, trophyC for collecting 25, and trophyD for collecting 50." Likewise, in trophyB's description I'd say something like, while working on this trophy, you'll be making progress on trophyA, trophyC and trophyD. I spent some more time making the links to the numerous different mentions of other trophies within the guide and then was rejected again regarding the format of the links. This rejection was simply for not displaying the little trophy emoticon in front of it and instead putting the link within quotes, e.g instead of :platinum: AMAZEBALLS it would look like "AMAZEBALLS."  At this point, I'm not willing to put effort into edits that don't enhance the guide. Essentially meaning that all previous time invested is being wasted. This experience led to the decision to not make any future guides for psnprofiles. I'm not trying to rally people to my cause or create guidepocolypse and backlash against the site founders. I mostly blame myself because I skimmed their guide to writing guides and I don't want to deal with corrections as they enforce the guidelines they clearly spelled out. I'm just simply bowing out and saying, "It's not worth my time." I get no benefit from providing guides and it's proving to be a pain in the ass. 

Edited by Toogie53
Typos and clarification of a point.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Toogie53 said:

TLDR: I'm not working on the Lords of the Fallen guide anymore, so it's up for grabs if someone else wants to. 

I'd say if you'd ask any other guide writer on the site how their first couple guides went to be approved, you'd undoubtedly get the response "tedious". Some of our formatting rules can sometimes be weird and seem pointless, but we require those things because it is the benefit to the reader, because no matter what guide they use on the site they know that every trophy mentioned to the guide links to that trophy within the guide and pushes them up or down the page with a simple click, the symbol in front of the link shows it's an internal link within the guide rather than an outbound link to another website at a quick glance, and so on. Every weird formatting rule we may have is there for a reason, it's not to mess with guide writers or make it seem like we're making them go in circles or anything

The reason our feedback is so tedious on your first couple guides is because we simply don't have the time to correct the same formatting issues over and over with each submission a guide creator makes, so the goal is to let you know about it the first time out so that future submissions are a breeze for you (Having it get pushed through immediately without waiting for feedback with each future submission). All the feedback at the front is a benefit for you in the future. Sometimes that kind of thing isn't for everyone, and of course it's not always simple, and that's okay if ultimately it's not worth your time. A persons time is valuable, I always recommend spending it on something that's meaningful to you.

All the best

• Like 1

Thank you BlindMango. I appreciate your reply. I even understand your position, although I disagree with it. You've been very professional in your responses. I hope you see that I didn't come here to start any kind of flame war or spout off anything negative about you or the website. I simply came here to update anyone that was interested that I didn't plan to work on the Lords of the Fallen Guide anymore and provided some detail on why the frustration being experienced with submitting guides overcame my desire to contribute. 

I don't think spending the time adding emoticons to a trophy guide is going to have any tangible benefit to someone reading it, especially considering that had I worded things differently the trophy name wouldn't have needed to be included in the first place. I don't want to spend the time adding those or rewriting the guide for a third time to remove the mentions of other trophies, as I see it as pointless. If link styling is important to the website management, you should fix that on the back end so that your guide makers don't have to deal with the tedium of doing it themselves. It is possible to identify internal links and add a class to them that will style them differently than an external link. Your site does way more complicated things than that already. I'd bet real money that it would take less time for you to figure that styling out than for me to add those emoticons. Unfortunately, the burden is currently placed on your contributors and they have to deal with the frustration of being rejected for things that appear nonsensical. Guide makers are enhancing your site with their content and they do not get much of anything in return. For me, personally, I felt the scales were too imbalanced and there's no compelling reason as to why I should continue to contribute. 

Edited by Toogie53
Typo
  • Like 2