D-Pad or analog stick?

Eidstad-thats-me

As an expert player of the Tekken saga, I can tell you that it’s always better to use the directional pad. It’s much more accurate than analog sticks when introducing long combos and doesn’t generate the problems of having to pause between commands, which is common with sticks.

Depends on who you plan to main imo. Most people will say d-pad, and for a good reason; D-pad gives you more precise inputs and is much more friendly for beginners. However, I would argue that the analog stick is better for characters with bizarre inputs like half circles pointing upwards, full rotations, etc. I've seen some people use both at the same time for charge characters. 

My advice would be to find a character you would like to main and try both in training, look at YT guides, etc. before deciding as you will need to be decent at the game to plat it. However, d-pad is the best place to start. I would just say don't overly commit to it and think you can't switch because analog may be better for a handful of characters.

This is coming from someone who's a complete amateur at a lot of different fighting games. xD

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Eidstad-thats-me said:

which way would you recommend playing? (D-pad or analog?)

D-pad gives you much more precision and tremendously easier movement. Inputing dash on analog is pain and dashes are required in high level play. 

I got myself hori mini arcade stick(works wih ps5) 5 years ago. It kinda helped me but I am still a silver scrub. Got 300 wins and put the game on hold. Controller certainly won't make you play better. But if you would for some reason want to get one then a lot of people recommend a Qanba Drone for a good cheap stick. The best controller and easiest to use would be a hitbox controller, but those are COSTLY.

I have decided a week ago to get a platinum too, but still struggling to learn. You need 4000 League Points for a Gold rank for gold trophy and max I got was 2800 for now.  

Here is a good sheet with a lot of info about all the characters. 

Edited by Akrioz
  • Like 1

I am an absolute weirdo when it comes to that question, cause I use both lol

I even switch between them mid-combo. I prefer analog stick for single motions like qcfs or charge moves, but I switch to d-pad for double QCFs and dashes lol

It looks weird as fuck to watch me play fighting games, but I got used to it and it is totally normal for me xD

On 3/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, Akrioz said:

D-pad gives you much more precision and tremendously easier movement. Inputing dash on analog is pain and dashes are required in high level play. 

I got myself hori mini arcade stick(works wih ps5) 5 years ago. It kinda helped me but I am still a silver scrub. Got 300 wins and put the game on hold. Controller certainly won't make you play better. But if you would for some reason want to get one then a lot of people recommend a Qanba Drone for a good cheap stick. The best controller and easiest to use would be a hitbox controller, but those are COSTLY.

I have decided a week ago to get a platinum too, but still struggling to learn. You need 4000 League Points for a Gold rank for gold trophy and max I got was 2800 for now.  

Here is a good sheet with a lot of info about all the characters. 

I am also going for the platinum and using zangief and trying to learn alex, i usually just use the d-pad but will try to use the analog for alex to see if i can do the charge moves better
Also thanks for the Character sheet , it looks pretty useful

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Had a Hori Fighting Commander since 2017. Still works like a charm. D-pad is all you need and this one is really accurate. HFC helped me platinum all kinds of fighting games from Mortal Kombat, Injustice, Soul Calibur, Tekken, MvCi, UMvC3, Dead or Alive, Dragon Ball FighterZ and Xenoverse and hopefully this game soon and maybe SF4 lol. It was a worthwhile investment thats for sure.

On 3/19/2023 at 1:12 PM, Eidstad-thats-me said:

I used d-pad on SBM but no other game. But i think i will get used to it after a while. Thanks for the reply?

Smash is not a fighting game.

1 hour ago, majob said:

Smash is not a fighting game.

It is a fighting game, within the platform fighting game subgenre.  Also I'm not certain that SBM is a reference to Smash, as I am unaware of a way to use the D-Pad in that game for movement as it's assigned to taunts.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chriee said:

It is a fighting game, within the platform fighting game subgenre.  Also I'm not certain that SBM is a reference to Smash, as I am unaware of a way to use the D-Pad in that game for movement as it's assigned to taunts.

I'm not going to derail the the thread any further but Smash is not a fighting game and has been reviled by the FGC at large for ages. They had to bribe their way into EVO

• Confused 1

It's crazy that the d-pad is so much better for fighting games when the arcades use joysticks. You'd think the analog sticks on console would be a perfect fit but they just suck. 

In fact, I feel that any game that requires accurate directional inputs suffer from analog sticks. I always use d-pad for Tony Hawk and it's a big reason why I couldn't get into Skate or get the platinum on Olliolli. 

20 minutes ago, majob said:

I'm not going to derail the the thread any further but Smash is not a fighting game and has been reviled by the FGC at large for ages. They had to bribe their way into EVO

Agreed we shouldn't derail it, this will be my last post about it.  But just because people don't like it being considered one, doesn't change the fact is is technically a fighting game.

I never understood why the FGC community is so bent out of shape over this.  It's a game.

• Like 1