Earning platinum before release date

You

Somewhere on this planet lives a person that got the platinum for a new game world first - and is not listed on this unofficial site (which is not tracking every single psn account or people without synced up accounts).

This thought is now in your head. You can't ever be the first, you can't win. This itch inside your head will never go away.

Edited by I-Kami-I
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, D-E-U-S-X said:

Being first should not be seen as a competition under the prevailing circumstances.

Trying to be the fastest lends itself much better to a leaderboard.

Yes, fastest definitely holds more merit, but it has issues as well. Check Alien Isolation's fastest times. It's all very clearly the same person taking up most of the top spots in fastest. In the speedrunning community, they usually delete people's old times and keep the fastest for leaderboards, otherwise their leaderboards would look like Alien's does.

We never can have nice things on the internet. Not ones that last long anyway.

Edited by Riiszk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, enaysoft said:

There isn't a solution unfortunately. Especially since time zone wise, staggered release dates starting from Japan and ending in America, the further east you live in the world the higher advantage you have. We can try to make it a bit fairer though.

www.powerpyx.com starting playing RE4 remake on Mar 7th, almost 3 weeks before the official release date of Mar 24th. Earning platinums for PS5 on 12th March and PS4 on 20th March.

We regularly ban people from this site or get them to hide trophies when they earn trophies after a server has shut (rightly or wrongly) but why do we allow the opposite to happen and allow people to earn trophies before a game has been released?

The opposite is allowed for some reason. Enforced rules, but with certain exceptions.

This is a super goofy goober take sorry. Earning trophies after a server has been shut down is NOT the same as playing a game before it's officially released lol.

• Like 4

I still fail to understand why is a problem. 

Games needed to be tested, and reviewed. 

You get trophies in the process. 

For some this is a job, believe it or not, you can't ask people to not do it. 

When I get a review copy from official sources I have to play it with my main account to show them that I have really played the game and not given the game to someone else. 

Some devs care about their game and they look if you have completed the game by unlocking the game ending trophy. 

If you write half assed review, like some does, by playing only an hour, you lose your job. 

Trophies are a plus and most reviewer don't care about it. 

• Like 1

I can see why people would be upset at this, trophies are after all personal aren’t they? Or do people do this to impress others. Being first could be a personal thing, most recent example for me is Dead Island 2, I loved the first game and still do I’ve played it many times and helped others just because I enjoy it so much, it was one of the first games to really kick this all off for me, the second game I thought would never come out I’ve been waiting so long and it would have been amazing for me personally to be first and cement my spot in the “history”, for that game. That’s what being first means to me and most likely a lot of other people. However I can see reviewers have just received it so I guess that’s out of the question now. 
Instead of just saying X person is wrong etc we need to understand that this hobby is personal and that would have been my goal. But as usual I guess I’ll settle for top 50 and then set a crazy fastest achiever time on the 2nd version I play.
No one is right or wrong in this situation tbh. 

Edited by SzzMN
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Infected Elite said:

Trophy hunting is a joke though. It's far from profitable. I'd rather make money. Obviously my body can't go 24hrs without sleep if i worked it all. But if i could make money every hour I'm awake instead of gaming I would. 

But also #2: Those who have money have power. You have money, you get first dibs and so on.

Nothing new. I have no complaints or care if I'm first or last at finishing a game. Its a hobby.

This is my favorite response in the entire thread. We should've locked it after this post. Capitalism has brainwashed you into believing that your time isn't worth anything unless you're making money from it. Incredible.

But that's not even the greatest part of this post. The implication is that video game reviewers are the haves and gamers are the have-nots. Insane to believe that most people doing video game reviews make anything resembling a living wage. I've worked in that sector for awhile and unless you're working for one of the bigger websites, video game reviews are not your primary source of income.

This is a dumb thread, trophy hunting isn't a job it's a hobby. And if you don't like it or think it's unfair that someone inconsequentially got a platinum before you, turn off the computer and re-evaluate. Because this is pathetic.

• Like 4

It is never fair, it is never a fully even playing field, some players will always have advantages over others. Even if all people would get the game at the exact same second it wouldn't ever be close to fair for most. Assuming that getting this first plat is the goal of a group of people, then some of them simply can't get a few days off work to rush that platinum while others have a vacation or are unemployed, some have families or other personal responsibilities to take care of while others can use 100% of their free time, some are young and healthy so they can do a 50 hour marathon session to get a platinum, while others (even if they can use 100% of their free time) are too old or simply not physically healthy enough to power through a game in one session like others, and then there are other potential problems like a few people having a power outage or other surprising events like the console dying on them, not to mention how bugs or bad ingame rng can possibly prolong a playthrough in many games.

Being the first to earn a platinum does not provide any real value, I know because I am the first achiever of a platinum, so there is no issue with it being unfair, which technically is not even the case anyway since no one is stopping someone who is actually having the ambition to become the first achiever to do whats necessary to get a review copy himself and even the playing field against the players who got review copies.

Edited by Dauersack
  • Like 1

As many others have said, it doesn't really matter. No one in their right mind will care enough if X person got the platinum first. It doesn't matter if you were #1, #2 or #3,274 to complete a game, you win nothing aside from self-satisfaction and even that is better earned elsewhere. I mean, the very essence of trophy leaderboards in general has lost its meaning, what with how convoluted the trophy pool has become (shovelwares, region stacks, account sharing, ps4/ps5 upgrades). People often seem to forget that trophy hunting is a hobby and not an occupation (except from very very few individuals). Just collect your trophies and complete your games at your own pace and however you like it. It's just a pass time.

This doesn't go specifically towards OP, just a general statement.

• Like 1

The first achievers are always the most famous on this site, even more famous than the fastest achievers. The Formula 1, so to speak. For this reason, something should be done against the review cheaters, even if it's just a special badge.

29 minutes ago, Sikutai said:

The first achievers are always the most famous on this site, even more famous than the fastest achievers. The Formula 1, so to speak. For this reason, something should be done against the review cheaters, even if it's just a special badge.

If you are joking, well played, if you are serious, you have to revaluete your priorities in life. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DaivRules said:

What a convoluted and ridiculously over complicated and burdensome solution to an issue that affects practically no-one. 

Why? Most games have day one patches and some are already doing what I said.

I mean it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I was just giving a method that would solve the issue of people getting trophies before launch day.

Tbh i've never understood wanting to get a game done asap. If I start rushing, I'm not having fun and will play something else.

3 hours ago, RedDevil757 said:

Tbh i've never understood wanting to get a game done asap. If I start rushing, I'm not having fun and will play something else.

Neither do I, but if you had to write a review is a different story. 

Sometimes you get a 50 hours game and a week to write a valid review. 

If you don't start rushing you will never finish in time. 

There's an easy solution to this that they could implement if anyone actually cared enough to do so.  Just have a certain worldwide time that the trophies all start unlocking from.  What I mean by this is that Mr. Reviewer gets their copy a week early.  They platinum the game in 3 days, 17 hours and each trophy gets a timestamp.  Then on launch day, the trophies actually open up and start from each person's start time.  So if Mr. Reviewer got trophy #1 at 12 minutes past the time they launched the game, they would be timestamped at 12 minutes past the worldwide launch time. Give it a week long time period where all trophies are synced to your time posted onto the worldwide time and then all trophies after that week are accurately timestamped.  Yeah, the people who want exact times and dates wouldn't be happy, but it could work.  But not enough people care that it would ever be done.  No big deal for most of the world. I'm happy if I make a top 50 leaderboard in a trophy or a plat, but I'm not upset if I don't!  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, FFATMA said:

There's an easy solution to this that they could implement if anyone actually cared enough to do so.  Just have a certain worldwide time that the trophies all start unlocking from.  What I mean by this is that Mr. Reviewer gets their copy a week early.  They platinum the game in 3 days, 17 hours and each trophy gets a timestamp.  Then on launch day, the trophies actually open up and start from each person's start time.  So if Mr. Reviewer got trophy #1 at 12 minutes past the time they launched the game, they would be timestamped at 12 minutes past the worldwide launch time. Give it a week long time period where all trophies are synced to your time posted onto the worldwide time and then all trophies after that week are accurately timestamped.  Yeah, the people who want exact times and dates wouldn't be happy, but it could work.  But not enough people care that it would ever be done.  No big deal for most of the world. I'm happy if I make a top 50 leaderboard in a trophy or a plat, but I'm not upset if I don't!  

That might be the worst idea I've heard yet on this thread. You're talking about altering timestamps from PSN? If that happened, then literally the entire first 50 would be worthless and it doesn't solve anything. It would create so many headaches.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ThatMuttGuy said:

That might be the worst idea I've heard yet on this thread. You're talking about altering timestamps from PSN? If that happened, then literally the entire first 50 would be worthless and it doesn't solve anything. It would create so many headaches.

I'm meaning that it would be done automatically by PSN. It would put everyone on a level playing field doing it that way. Like I said, not many people even actually care about it, so it's not something that would ever get implemented, so again, no big deal either way.

I'm not sure why anyone would expect they would be first in the entire world to get a platinum, especially a popular game that is expected to have many review copies sent out. Don't flatter yourself lol. It's not fair? Who cares. Imo if you are lucky enough to receive a free copy you deserve to get the trophies early. 

6 hours ago, Play3GianniGreed said:

Neither do I, but if you had to write a review is a different story. 

Sometimes you get a 50 hours game and a week to write a valid review. 

If you don't start rushing you will never finish in time. 

That's why I never mix work with a hobby. I tried it once and hated it. 

• Like 1