Final Fantasy Mode

Alayaes

All the people complaining about HP sponges reminded me of the days of FF VIIR's Hard Mode. Never understood the complaints because I was beating bosses faster in Hard Mode than I was in the first playthrough, mainly because I had access to all of Tifa's stagger damage% increasing abilities. The part that sucked the most was the damage gates so that you couldn't skip boss phases.

Now in XVI I started feeling about the same as the first playthrough, but now I'm noticing I'm killing enemies faster too.

Seems like a lot of people miss the fact that the damage window is the stagger phase. Mini-bosses in groups of enemies die in 1 stagger phase, story sub-bosses end with a little bit of health after 2 staggers, and main bosses die in about 4 staggers.

I see a lot of "tired of mashing" too. The counter abilites (Raging Fists, Heatwave, Rook's Gambit) have very short CDs if used correctly. These are my main stagger abilities. If you run around with only the long CDs like Diamond Dust, Gigaflare, Judgement Bolt, etc, of course you will end up with nothing to do most of the time other than just doing Square - Triangles.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Got the plat last night, FF Mode really wasn't that terrible outside of a few cheap shots that killed me before I could heal. Like others have said, the mode was more tedious than anything else, especially when trying to build a Zantetsuken against large mobs while Blinding Steel was still on cooldown.

On 7/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, AndresLionheart said:

All the people complaining about HP sponges reminded me of the days of FF VIIR's Hard Mode. Never understood the complaints because I was beating bosses faster in Hard Mode than I was in the first playthrough, mainly because I had access to all of Tifa's stagger damage% increasing abilities. The part that sucked the most was the damage gates so that you couldn't skip boss phases.

Now in XVI I started feeling about the same as the first playthrough, but now I'm noticing I'm killing enemies faster too.

Seems like a lot of people miss the fact that the damage window is the stagger phase. Mini-bosses in groups of enemies die in 1 stagger phase, story sub-bosses end with a little bit of health after 2 staggers, and main bosses die in about 4 staggers.

I see a lot of "tired of mashing" too. The counter abilites (Raging Fists, Heatwave, Rook's Gambit) have very short CDs if used correctly. These are my main stagger abilities. If you run around with only the long CDs like Diamond Dust, Gigaflare, Judgement Bolt, etc, of course you will end up with nothing to do most of the time other than just doing Square - Triangles.

The counter abilities are my absolute favorite, I've been using them from the very beginning, and the combat has yet to get old (halfway through FF mode). I'm also at a point where I can reliably parry almost any attack, which makes Odin super fun to use. Enemy HP is absolutely not an issue when you're doing over 150K damage per stagger phase. So far my FF mode playthrough has been just as enjoyable as the first time around.

• Like 2

On 20/07/2023 at 3:58 PM, BlackTorito said:

This mode is just a tedious, smashing buttons fest.

The sponges are very annoying and they put you additional big enemies in the middle of the path in case you were not bored enough.

Is just a matter of staggering the enemy, dump all the skills and a zantetsuken, rise and repeat. Is very boring. At least on other games you had to consider elemental weaknesses and could work with different builds.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why people are complaining about FF mode.

NG+ took me 15 hours, but i skipped every cutscene.

Did every sidequest and hunts which got me to level 97 with zero time wasted on mob farming because that's just tedious.

I only died on story bosses and Eikon battles because I played without the cheat rings, and yea, some bosses hit hard, they can 2-3 shot you, it's not only about their health. About that, none felt sponges to me, just that some had damage caps for phases.

1 hour ago, silviuamuza2015 said:

Because this is just 10-15 hour slog? I had enough of the combat loop by the end of the game and the NG+ is just plain boring already. It is basically the same shit, but with more elite enemies in the encounters. I feel like I kill everything faster than on normal NG by spamming ultimates and zantetsuken. Even though it is simply BO-RING. I basically play 1-2 missions while watching  various retrospectives/esses on YouTube then close the game and don't touch for couple of days.

• Like 3

I love the game but I'm in a hurry to plat it. 

Skipping all the cut scenes, and I was curious for those who have beaten FF Mode: Can I skip all the side quests and not be under leveled towards the end of the game? I know people recommend doing the side quests for the xp, but I'm just trying to finish FF Mode ASAP, and would like to skip all the 'unnecessary' stuff. 

15 minutes ago, graffiX_13 said:

I love the game but I'm in a hurry to plat it. 

Skipping all the cut scenes, and I was curious for those who have beaten FF Mode: Can I skip all the side quests and not be under leveled towards the end of the game? I know people recommend doing the side quests for the xp, but I'm just trying to finish FF Mode ASAP, and would like to skip all the 'unnecessary' stuff. 

I did ZERO sidequests and I was fine the whole playthrough. I just wanted it done, and I was still ok at the end. As long as you can dodge, you're fine with just story exp.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wrapped up my first playthrough last night in 62 hours. I can't remember the last time it took me this long to complete a game and throughly enjoyed it. Although, the combat loop had gotten stale towards the second half of the game. 

I still need to get the trophy for completing the all the skill tree's. Can I start new game + on Final Fantasy mode and continue earning ability points? Is it better to farm in my Normal playthrough save at the end of the game instead?

Edited by FreshFromThaDeli

17 hours ago, FreshFromThaDeli said:

Wrapped up my first playthrough last night in 62 hours. I can't remember the last time it took me this long to complete a game and throughly enjoyed it. Although, the combat loop had gotten stale towards the second half of the game. 

I still need to get the trophy for completing the all the skill tree's. Can I start new game + on Final Fantasy mode and continue earning ability points? Is it better to farm in my Normal playthrough save at the end of the game instead?

Yes it carries over. Farm in NG+ near the end of the game fighting hyenas in Ravenwit Walls it's a lot faster.

• Like 1

Got the platinum a little bit ago and I thought Final Fantasy mode was just fine. 

Plowed through it in about 55 hours (compaired to around 100 my first playthrough) and even 100% completed everything (except the majority of the no damage medals, not interested in those right now) before I beat the final boss.  It went much faster than first playthrough, but I did skip the cutscenes of most of the sidequests because so many of them aren't great on repeat.

I also didn't have to do any real grinding for levels or ability points.  Doing all the sidequests, chronoliths, and hunts in ng+ while using the items that boost xp and ability points gave me more than enough to max everything and hit lvl 100 by the end.

I really enjoyed the game, but am glad it's done for now.  I can get back to this 5 year grind of mine trying to plat RDR2 now lol.

Edited by Snake2410

At the beginning I was like, this isn't so bad, since you can get past the first few chapters of the game pretty fast, but man.. towards the end it's just boring. Endless wave of the same enemies, boss fights that never seem to end. This mode is not harder at all, it's just boring button smashing for hours.

I still have more to go, but can't seem to get myself to play more then 2 hours and then I need a break. Will get there though.. eventually.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 8/6/2023 at 4:53 AM, silviuamuza2015 said:

NG+ took me 15 hours, but i skipped every cutscene.

Did every sidequest and hunts which got me to level 97 with zero time wasted on mob farming because that's just tedious.

I only died on story bosses and Eikon battles because I played without the cheat rings, and yea, some bosses hit hard, they can 2-3 shot you, it's not only about their health. About that, none felt sponges to me, just that some had damage caps for phases.

You did not beat NG+ and do every side quest and do every hunt all in 15hrs. This is just lying and you need to be called out for it. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/6/2023 at 2:47 PM, Rebourne07 said:

You did not beat NG+ and do every side quest and do every hunt all in 15hrs. This is just lying and you need to be called out for it. 

Yeah, I'm gonna have to second this.

On my FF mode playthrough I have skipped every single cutscene and animation that was skippable and used fast travel whenever I can, while doing all side quests, hunts, and everything else, and yet I'm already at 20+ hours even though I still have 5 main quests left, 15 side quests left, 11 hunts left, and all the chronolith trials left to do.

Now to be fair I did replay through the prologue, and that took about 90 min or so while skipping cutscenes, but still, by the time I'm done I'm pretty sure I'll be nearing 30 hours or so, maybe more depending on how long the chronolith trials take me.

I don't know you can 100% the game any faster, things just take so damn long. Last night I spent 5 hours doing 10 hunts, 13 side quests, and 5 main quests.

Edited by Nick240894
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any tips for not dying of boredom with this NG+ mode? lol It's so mind-numbing, even with swapping around my eikon abilities I just can't help but put this game down every two hours or so. Also is it recommended to basically 100% the game again? Like do all side quests, hunts and chrono trials? Or will I be fine just doing the main story? I'm already wearing 25% exp boost with the ap boost accessory as well. Like others have already pointed out, this game mode is just so tedious, not even hard just...really boring.

28 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

Does anyone have any tips for not dying of boredom with this NG+ mode?

I usually watch some long-ass video on youtube on my tablet while doing boring stuff like this.  Do only the Main story.

Currently exploring how much of a disaster The Marvels are while doing Grand Cruise in GBVS:Rising.

Edited by Akrioz

27 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

Does anyone have any tips for not dying of boredom with this NG+ mode? lol It's so mind-numbing, even with swapping around my eikon abilities I just can't help but put this game down every two hours or so. Also is it recommended to basically 100% the game again? Like do all side quests, hunts and chrono trials? Or will I be fine just doing the main story? I'm already wearing 25% exp boost with the ap boost accessory as well. Like others have already pointed out, this game mode is just so tedious, not even hard just...really boring.

Just focus in the main story & you will be fine, don't torture yourself again doing the sidequest, i skipped everything in my ng+ run.

Edited by Gerardus94

42 minutes ago, PostGameBlues said:

This game was short af. Just Spam the op stuff and you are good. Only did the main quest and it took me 10 hours I believe. Oh and I only did the side mission where you get the chocobo to travel faster and I equipped the talisman for easy square button Spam, the talisman for more damage and Switched between the talisman for automatic evade or less time or more damage for specific abilities. 

I used the abilities which are listed in the trophy guide. I maxed the best abilities in my 1st run and ng+ become a walk in the park.

Edited by ShadyWARcotix