Gaming goals for 2024?

MidnightDragon

2023 was a mess due to outside factors but hoping to make 2024 better.

First…

- Play new PS+ Essential titles given each month that I’m interested in. I’ve been neglecting these games, just chucking them in my backlog.

If no PS+ games interest me for the month…

- Focus on PS3 backlog, hopefully play Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World

- Play the games I get/got for X-Mas/B-day

- Play some of my games with online trophies (only got a handful on PS4)

• Like 2

Since I bought the PS5 during the Black Friday, and the system has a miserable one year worth of warranty, I'll be playing mainly on it.

I expect to finish at least the games that have or will have a PS5 upgrade available, such as Final Fantasy VII Remake, The Last of Us 2, Gran Turismo 7 etc.

Also, I'm looking for a M.2 SSD for the PS5. It is quite possible that the console will brick if the internal SSD dies, so a M.2 may extend its lifespan. 

• Like 2

Sheesh to FINALLY knockout the following plats:

The Legend of Dragoon

WarHammer 40k Space Marine (PS3)

Binary Domain (PS3) 

Odin Sphere (PS3)

R6 Seige

NFS Heat

Ghosts of Tsushima

RE3: Remake

RE2: Remake

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands

Sekiro

Nioh

Driveclub

And a few more of my PS3 backlog  (But once Dragon's Dogma 2 and Rise of the Ronin drop, it's game over 😂)

Edited by kidson2004
  • Like 4

I did have the thought that I'd like to finish the GTAs and RDR games - I've done the campaigns on GTA 4 and 5, plus RDR 1 and 2, but I need to go back and 100% them (or as much as possible in the case of GTA5 on PS3). I've not even started the remasters yet 😆 However, it seems a lot and might be a bit optimistic. We'll see how well that ages!

• Like 1

My biggest gaming goal is to knock six big modern JRPGs off my plat wishlist. 

• Dragon's Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age
  • Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch Remastered
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana
  • Odin's Sphere: Leifthrasir
  • Yakuza: Like a Dragon

I also started a yearly tradition where I try to kick off the year with a big game that's a little outside of my standard comfort food. 2022 was Bloodborne. 2023 was Hades. I think 2024 will be Baldur's Gate 3.

• Like 4

It's going to be a backlog year for me. I've already told myself that I'll try and purchase no more than three games in 2024. We'll see how I go with that, but looking at the 2024 releases I think I'll be good. 

My main focus for my backlog completion will be a lot of PS3 gamea that are sitting at the bottom of my profile, so I think I'll have a few 14 or 15 year platinums. I'd also like to completely clean up my Vita backlog, but I need a new Vita for that and may skip that for a bit. 

• Like 3

Well, this year was a disaster in terms of backlog reduction. No big surprise when you play one game for 6 months and 3 weeks just to platinum it (:platinum: 0.96%). According to that end-of-the-year wrap-up by Sony, I spent 1075 hours on that game. 🫠

Next year's intentions are... to actually reduce the PS3 backlog, and not add 4 Lego games (although I've done 3 of them and am playing the last one right now):

- Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow 2

- Final Fantasy XIII

- ICO

- Lord Of The Rings: War In The North

- Overlord II

- South Park: The Stick Of Truth

- Tales Of Symphonia: Dawn Of The New World

And perhaps revisit dropped games:

- Split Second (rubberband AI in a racing game? 👿)

- Trinity Universe

- Way Of The Samurai 4

Also, the decision was made to start Beat Saber and to finally get some first-hand experience with Crypt Of The Necrodancer. I picked up a physical copy for about $10 during the Black Friday sales. Depending on how well Beat Saber goes, I might even become a regular visitor of the local arcade hall and start DDR. Who said you need to go to the gym to stay fit?

Easier goals:
Top up Dead Cells back to 100%, get Horizon Zero Dawn's Ultra-Hard playthrough done, and maybe squeeze in some older games that I haven't completed to 100% yet:

- Dungreed

- Little Nightmares (speedrun)

- Lumo

- Whipseey And The Lost Atlas

• Like 2

I don't tend to set "goals" as such, but I have had a sort of "soft-goal" of going back and taking another shot at finishing up at least one old PS3 game on my list each year.

Kinda running out of ones I'd bother with...

...but maybe El Shaddai this year? 

• Like 1