The helldivers 2 community is something else...

UlvenFenrir

Usually I don't want to rant about a game and it's community but my experience with this game has me baffled at times.

Some people I played with want it their way or they shoot you or kick you out of the game. I think I'm around level 24 now I think and I've been joining games with high level players on higher difficulties even helldiver difficulty and the mentality is if I'm not their level then I'm not good enough. The funny thing is they die more than me so a high prestige level doesn't mean anything other than the nerd you are.

Another guy shot me for taking too long on an objective because he can't wait 20 seconds.

When I first started the game and I noticed that friendly fire is default and you can't turn it off then I knew exactly what that meant. 

I actually really enjoy the game for what it is (not my favorite co-op game) but its fun enough. 

If people are so upset of me joining them make a private lobby. I don't get it. 😂

I actually beat a helldiver difficulty mission with 3 others no problem so my level don't mean anything.

Anyone else with similar experiences on this game or do you only play with people you know?

• Like 2

It’s a fantastic game and for the most part I’ve had no issues. But doesn’t mean there aren’t those out there. My biggest examples are: 

1- There was one game where this guy refused to reinforce us, no idea why, I’m pretty good and reliable and had the most kills/less deaths for the runs before hand. He didn’t like something and held us at ransom by refusing to spawn us in. My friend joined the game as the fourth, reinforced us and he killed us both then left. Baffled me. 

2- Another guy shouted over mic that I was a loser for not being on comms (I had a chest infection and could barely speak at the time) yet he was garbage, utterly terrible at the game. Also left after his 10th death in a row! 

3- few times being kicked upon joining a game. I’m level 24 with a ‘solid load out’ and normally no higher than a lvl 6. Just go private if you don’t want people to join, it takes minutes! 

4- People being  obsessed with samples, if you dare pick up the ones they have dropped. Nightmare. Everyone gets the same at the end of the game! I understand stealing peoples gear but that’s another story altogether.

Other than those, I haven’t seen much ‘toxic’ play.
However, if a level 10 joins an extreme or higher match, with equipment that won’t help, damn straight they are getting kicked. I see no issue in that, players expecting to be carried are just as bad 

Edited by mikem192

I haven't run into much toxicity yet but I haven't been playing a ton only like level 14 or so.  I expect it to get a bit worse when I start doing higher missions more consistently.  I'll never understand the mentality but it is what it is lol I'm not gonna let some try hards ruin my good time.

I haven't ran into any toxicity, it happens in any online game but the people I've played with use comms and are just having fun! Don't let it ruin your experience with the game. Every batch of apples has a few bad solider. Now report to your nearest Democracy Officer for insubordination and then we'll expect you back on the front lines.

- MikeCheck: Level 49 Death Captain

~ Commanders of the SES Shield of the Stars ~ 

• Like 3

I'm level 50 with all stratagems unlocked, my ship fully upgraded, and almost maxed out on samples.  There are definitely a lot of lower level players who can outplay me and I don't care.  I'm just having a ton of fun with the game.  :) 

I actively look for SOS beacons on lower level difficulties to help out other Helldivers and drop some higher level gear for them to mess around with until they can unlock it.  It's a co-op game and it's the most fun I've had in a co-op game in a long time.

I have over 140 hours and I've only encountered one toxic game.  Two of the players were obviously grouped up with the goal of being trolls.  They would kill you on purpose to take your gear, they would kill you even when they already had your gear the second you came out of the hell pod, they would refuse to reinforce most of the time, and when they died they would start yelling things that I won't even type here through their mics to get us to reinforce faster.  Myself and the other random that had joined quickly left their game.

Other than that, it has been a really positive experience with randoms.  I have actually added quite a few to my in-game friends list.

FOR SUPER EARTH!!!

Edited by SirShavesALot

Personally I didn’t run into much of toxic behavior. Some passive aggressive stuff. I just ignore it if it happens. People that are so worked up and need to ventilate that to other people probably have terrible lives themselves. So I am rather feel sorry for them.

And furthermore if they don’t like it they can group up with their own elitist friends in their bubble instead of joining a lobby with randoms. 🤷🏻

Edited by DaivRules

I haven’t noticed any toxic players yet like you’ve described. *knocks on wood*. I play exclusively with randoms because I have no friends or mic lol. Currently level 42, decent but certainly not the best. Worst I’ve encountered was just being kicked from the lobby, maybe a few words about sucking because I died and got called in right back into the middle of the chaos just to be killed again. It is what it is 🤷‍♂️

I definitely don't think the level someone is really matters after level 20 because at that point you should have at least have the good stratagems and presumably some ship upgrades. But yeah, like pretty much any online game people will get mad at you and kick you for vague or petty reasons.

One instance I was kicked from a game I'm not sure what the deal was since all I did was join. It was in the middle of an Eradication mission and I could barely call in my stratagems before I was kicked for whatever reason. The only benefit of the doubt I will give is that maybe they were waiting for someone they knew to join. Another time I was at least in the mission long enough to where they should have known I wasn't someone worthy of a kick because I grabbed the SSSD and when I was trying to mark the objective to go deliver it, for some reason I was kicked and I don't really get what I could have possibly done.

The first kick that legitimately bothered me though was where the group split off into two teams and so me and another guy were handling our own objectives while the other two did theirs, one of them being the party leader. Me and the other guy did our objectives and were heading to the extraction but I saw the party leader say "Come here" and so I acknowledged it and started heading his way. The other guy however kept going for extraction and so when he activated the extraction the party leader kicked me for being associated with the other guy and I assume he thought we were talking to each other even though it should have been clear that I was heading towards him.

The next two are what I call "friendly fire incidents" because they both involve friendly fire. The first instance was during a bug mission where the party leader was getting chased by a Bile Titan and so I called in a 500kg Eagle on it to kill it and it wound up killing him too so he got pissy and kicked me for it even though it should have been evident I was trying to kill the Titan for him.

The second time was another group that split off and when we all regrouped we were getting swarmed by Automatons and running out of reinforcements. I saw a Hulk off in the distance and threw an airstrike at it to kill it but one of the other squadmates who clearly should have seen the airstrike was coming it wound up running right into it and getting killed which prompted the leader to kick me. Sure, blame me for some dumbass running right into an airstrike he definitely saw coming and had more than enough room to avoid. If they knew each other then the guy that died probably bitched and moaned about it to the leader. If not then the leader was also a dumbass because he was there to see it happen.

I just think it's stupid to kick someone for friendly fire in a game that's basically part of the gameplay where it's expected to happen. Sure, I totally get it if you or someone else gets friendly fired and it is obviously intentional but if you're going to get all pissy because of an airstrike or whatever that you wind up getting caught up in then you're just making yourself look like a salty clown.

Thankfully more often than not I have encountered a lot of good people that even if they don't play the best they are still friendly enough to stick through missions regardless of how rough they get and don't kick anyone for stupid reasons beyond their control. The absolute best people you can come across are people that you wind up just going through missions that feel like uphill battles but you manage to pull a win in the end and you're all giving handshakes and fist bumps or hugs to each other back on the ship. It really gives a great sense of comradery that I feel like few games capture.

It also helps that you look pretty badass just going through the levels in your Helldiver outfit and seeing how dirty you look by the end of it, so when you're with a good group of people you really feel like you went through hell with them.

• Like 2

On 3/29/2024 at 1:19 PM, HuntingFever said:

The first game was exactly the same for me and is one of the reasons why I gave up on it after getting the 100%.

Love this game but can't help but feel it's more Kickdivers 2 than anything else sometimes. Often times I'll get kicked during a game when I'm at extraction, right before the end of the mission, so it's half an hour for no medals, no samples, nothing. 

It especially sucks when I've contributed a lot to the mission, just to get shafted like that. I have had good experiences too with players, but too many incidents are sadly beginning to overshadow it. 

• Like 3

Had a bad incident earlier today. We were playing well together. Completed all the main and sub objectives, bases etc. We even managed to get at least 15 rare samples (for the trophy) and I was carrying exactly 15 common (for the other trophy) after a fight at the extraction point as a group. Ship arrived to take us away. I happen to run on first but for some reason I'm blatantly attacked and shot at by a teammate, losing all samples (they were bugged under the ship so I couldn't get them again) I was reinforced by another dude and thankfully two of us got on and the other two decided not to. 

• Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 1:16 PM, UlvenFenrir said:

Anyone else with similar experiences on this game or do you only play with people you know?

I haven't played Helldivers 2 yet, but yes, I find that these days, I'm leaning more and more towards only playing online with people who are already on my friends list.  That way, no one throws their toys out of the proverbial pram if we screw up at any point and have to retry.  We just have a laugh about it, work out what we did wrong, and try again.

Because, at the end of the day, it's just a game.  And games are supposed to be fun above all else.

This is why i never play online games, there's very little fun behind it. Also why waste £40 on a game only to be kicked out when starting off at level 0. You should play the game you want to play, not let others ruin it for you.

A couple days ago I was in a game where the host kicked everybody from the game once the extraction ship arrived. Now that is a real asshole move. Used us so he could complete the mission and then at the last second kicked us so nobody would get the mission rewards except for him. What a waste of 30 minutes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, lordzeze said:

A couple days ago I was in a game where the host kicked everybody from the game once the extraction ship arrived. Now that is a real asshole move. Used us so he could complete the mission and then at the last second kicked us so nobody would get the mission rewards except for him. What a waste of 30 minutes.

If you have his/her username, you should name and shame them.

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2024 at 9:16 AM, UlvenFenrir said:

Usually I don't want to rant about a game and it's community but my experience with this game has me baffled at times.

Some people I played with want it their way or they shoot you or kick you out of the game. I think I'm around level 24 now I think and I've been joining games with high level players on higher difficulties even helldiver difficulty and the mentality is if I'm not their level then I'm not good enough. The funny thing is they die more than me so a high prestige level doesn't mean anything other than the nerd you are.

Another guy shot me for taking too long on an objective because he can't wait 20 seconds.

When I first started the game and I noticed that friendly fire is default and you can't turn it off then I knew exactly what that meant. 

I actually really enjoy the game for what it is (not my favorite co-op game) but its fun enough. 

If people are so upset of me joining them make a private lobby. I don't get it. 😂

I actually beat a helldiver difficulty mission with 3 others no problem so my level don't mean anything.

I made the grave mistake of venturing into the Hell divers 2 official discord. It's basically a COD lobby in 2024, death threats and threats of violence against the devs, individuals, and marginalized groups of people averaged about 1 per 10 or so post.

On top of being flamed for things that were beyond my controlled. For example, some dude deployed a turret and blamed me when he was killed by his own turret.

21 hours ago, lordzeze said:

Had that exact thing happen to me too. Were we in the same mission together 😅

I wish the mission would continue after receiving a kick.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong here but I believe Deep Rock Galactic does that.  The host kicking you means you continue your same game with the same resources, you're just stuck playing solo until new randoms arrive.

Overall I haven't had too many issues with other players. Most have been cooperative.

I've had 99% good experiences with randoms, in fact many go out of their way to help you e.g. shooting enemies chasing you, healing you, warning you when a fire tornado is approaching from behind, dropping supplies/gear and offering them to you, and offering hugs are my favourite (especially in the middle of a firefight!).

I did have one bad experience where I joined a random trio on a 40min mission, I forget what type. Two of them were getting on with the objectives and the other player (the party leader) was messing around in the middle of the map dropping loads of various sentries and emplacements. It looked like an outdoor museum/gallery or something. About 10mins before the end I was making my way through this area to get to the extraction while the other 2 were finishing the last objective. I needed ammo and didn't see any supplies dropped among the sentry garden so called some in. For some reason this weird dude making his amusement park didn't like that. He shot at me for no reason at all. Thankfully I had a shield so didn't die. He then threw a grenade at me, which thankfully I was able to dive away from. I got annoyed and killed him from my supine position with one shot from my breaker. He kicked me from the game a few seconds later. Annoying as I'd put a fair bit of work into the mission so far.

That's literally the only bad experience though in ~70h of play (I'm level 36 with pretty much all stratagems and ship upgrades unlocked). I've had some random kicks from lobbies, but I don't mind that so much. Seems like a great community for the most part.