Most Recent Platinum

Muff

12 minutes ago, Theladozz said:

L61f3e7.png

:platinum: YU-NO: A Girl Who Chants Love at the Bound of this World

Reveal hidden contents

Synopsis from VNDB:

Takuya Arima is a young student whose father, a historian who has conducted various researches, disappeared recently. During a summer vacation Takuya receives a peculiar package from his missing father, along with a letter containing information about the existence of various parallel worlds. At first Takuya doesn't take it seriously, but soon he realizes that he possesses a device that allows him to travel to alternate dimensions. Is his father alive, after all? If so, where is he?

This game is more of a point and click adventure game than a visual novel, and it's a really good one. The original game was released in 1996 and it must have been groundbreaking at the time, as it is said to be the pioneer in many things when it comes to VN's. Like multiple routes & endings, flowcharts, time travel etc.. This is a remake with supposedly no changes to the scenario (except cutting out the H scenes), only modernizing the gameplay elements, but I can't confirm this since I have not played the og version. What I can confirm though is even by today's standards this VN is one of the most ambitious ones I've ever read, and one of the longest ones as well.

It can be split into two different parts, the first one being a multiple route / dimension mystery. If you've played Ever17, Zero Escape games, Stens;Gate or other multiple dimension games you will be familiar with the concept. You're trying to piece together the overarching mystery by going "back" in time and to different world lines. The characters are interesting and/or likable (except for the MC lol), and I really liked how everyone has their own agenda and are working towards their own goals with or without the MC. It doesn't feel like the characters just disappear the moment the MC stops interacting with them, you run into them in locations that might or might not make sense at the time. but as you progress further and into different routes, everyone's purpose and intentions become clearer. The game has a built in guide which shows on screen what locations you need to go to trigger events (like meeting someone or finding an item), and even which heroine route those events progress you towards. This is a very welcome addition to the remake as I've read that the orginal is basically impossibe to play without a guide and it is just a trial and error fest clicking on everything and going to random locations as a lot of times you have no clue how to progress the story. I think this is the stronger part of the game, the dialogue is good and the story kept my interest throughout the whole thing.

Once you obtain all pieces of certain item, you can enter the "other world" route. It's an isekai to a fantasy world which could basically be a separate VN in itself. It has some major pacing issues (was rushed allegedly), but it has more individual heart warming and heart-wrenching moments than the first half, and you can see how massive the scope of this VN is.

By the way the MC is not a self insert, he has a personality and is voice acted which is great, but unfortunately I found him to be really unlikable and dumb especially in the other world route. I'm sure it's related to the lack of time they had to finish this route, but he makes some baffling decisions and doesn't realize things that should be completely obvious to him if he actually thought about it for a moment. What I mentioned was good in the first half, that time doesn't stop for the charcaters when they are off screen, sadly is not the case here. The MC sees something and thinks it's familiar, time jump 1 month ahead and he still hasn't had any realizations as if he just spent that 1 month literally not thinking about anything at all :facepalm:. The story also gets a bit convoluted towards the end and it's one of those where you shouldn't think about it too deeply because than the plot holes and unexplained stuff start to appear.

Regardless of that, this is probably the VN with the most CG's that I've played so far, and the amount of text and dialouge is insane. The music and sound effects are also amazing and there are some very memorable tunes that add a lot to the atmosphere of the scenes. It's obvious that a huge amount of effort went into both the writing and the implementation of the game, which sadly cannot be said about the localization. This is the worst official translation that I've seen so far for a localized VN, and just makes me feel that fan translations are better as the people doing those actually care. It doesn't block you from understanding the overall story, but at times it's absolute dog shit and obviously translated completely out of context and possibly via MTL. It's obvious because the errors made are glaring (like sentences having the wrong person as subject) even to someone with only rudimentary knowledge of japanese like me, so thank god the dialogue is fully voiced. Shame on the translators (and proofreaders) because the VN deserved better.

It took me around 60 hours to get the platinum and I consider myself to be a relatively fast reader, so there's a lot of content here and I was never bored of it.

I feel like the remake kind of flew under the radar despite the original being one of the most influential VN of all time, but I would recommend any VN enjoyers to give it a try, especially if you like sci-fi adventures like S;G or the Zero Escape games. One thing I have to say though is if you absolutely can't stand incest than don't even bother with this one lol.

Awesome you liked it! I had a ton of fun playing it on the Vita. It doesn't get enough love

But ya there's some... Ya... 

But great VN, I watched the anime first, then the game(actually I stopped watching the anime so I could play the game without knowing the end). 

It is NOT family friendly all the time, there are moments... 

Congrats on the plat! 

And agreed all VNs should have a system like this one for proceeding 

The story is great

• Like 4