The Order: 1886 Dev: Play Time Depends on Player Ability; Doesn’t Utilize PS4 100%

ZeroXOF

/\ Talk about derailing a thread.

I wouldn't say that, there's good well constructed arguments going on. Im surprised no one has resorted to name calling. 

I do acknowledge the fact that this is Ready at Dawns first ever console game. However, just because it's their first console game doesn't mean I won't hold them to the same standards I hold for other developers. They may have only made a few PSP games, but they decided to make a AAA PS4 game so I will judge it by what I expect from a PS4 game. It may be unfair of me to expect a lot from them, but that's what happens when they are trying to sell a new game for a new consoles to me.    

Fair enough. This will likely be a game that gets sequels so i'll judge their integrity when they've cemented themselves as PS4 developers. As for right now, im pleased with what I've seen of the Order and can't wait. 

I wouldn't say that, there's good well constructed arguments going on. Im surprised no one has resorted to name calling. 

I actually read through almost all of the ramblings. I haven't found the good solid point yet. MMDE is spot on, the argument is contradictory.

"we should have higher expectations for everything in this the eighth generation of game consoles. Better graphics are cool, but the most important thing about any game is good solid gameplay with a solid frame rate"

The most important thing about any game IS gameplay. Period.

But there were brilliant PS3 games, with great stories, gameplay and graphics. I'm not sure that you can easily make gameplay better. In fact, I'm not sure that gameplay is any better now that it was with the Atari. Gameplay may be much more complex as the complexity of the games have increased, but you have to look at each game and say 'does this gameplay work for this game'. If it does, the gameplay has accomplished what it should. If the controls, AI, physics, camera etc get in the way, then the gameplay fails. But you can't make it 'more better' so to speak, and I don't think every game ever til this point has failed. It's fine to expect those aspects to work, but they aren't going to work better.

So really, the only thing now is to make it prettier. The graphics should be better, that I agree on.

But if you expect this game to reinvent gaming as we know it, do yourself a favour and stay away, cause it's going to disappoint.

The negativity surrounding this game is jarring. Sure its no Last of us but it looks miles better than any other third person shooter I can think of.

The biggest issue I have with the game, is that it looks to be about 8-10 hours of dreary gray/brown locales.  In a game where the graphics and visuals are clearly one of the selling points, that'd be a bit disappointing.  That is probably where some of the negativity stems from, as well as the abundance of QTE's (which I personally don't mind whatsoever) in gameplay trailers and the lack of anything unusual or interesting in terms of third person shooting mechanics.

Edited by Dreakon13

Because, doing the PS4 reveal event that what almost every dev said. All they talked about was how the improved ram and closer to PC specs would allow them to make better games now then when they made games on the PS3. To me this means better graphics and better gameplay.

Because it's a AAA game. Yes they put a lot of money into it so it should have good solid gameplay. It doesn't have to be new, but as a AAA game in a new generation it should be as good if not better then the best in it's genre from the last generation. If it isn't then people won't buy it and the dev will not make enough money off the game.

It doesn't matter which developer it is, as soon as you start making one of the first AAA game for a new consoles your game will be used to show off that consoles. If they can't pull it off they may not get the change to make another game at this level.

Exactly, we would be disappointed if the gameplay is only decent. Any game developer could go and play the best of any genre from last generation for less then a few hundred dollars. With that they could play those game and compare their gameplay to them as they are making their game. If they have AAA money they should use it to make a game with gameplay that as good if not better then the best of last generation.

I feel the exact same way, we should have higher expectations for everything in this the eighth generation of game consoles. Better graphics are cool, but the most important thing about any game is good solid gameplay with a solid frame rate. Even if it turn out to be a bad game I will probably pick up when it's $20-$30 just to see the game for myself. 

I do acknowledge the fact that this is Ready at Dawns first ever console game. However, just because it's their first console game doesn't mean I won't hold them to the same standards I hold for other developers. They may have only made a few PSP games, but they decided to make a AAA PS4 game so I will judge it by what I expect from a PS4 game. It may be unfair of me to expect a lot from them, but that's what happens when they are trying to sell a new game for a new consoles to me.    

With more ram, playing from HDD and more powerful GPU etc, this should help on load times. I don't think we should be very accepting towards long load times on PS4. There's little reason for this to be longer than on PS3 other than maybe some initial load time.

I agree that it should have good gameplay, and it probably does have rather solid gameplay, but don't expect something new, great and revolutionizing. They've not advertised this, and it's a big risk.

From what I've seen they've focused on the atmosphere and graphics and a bit on the story. These things I expect to be really good in the game.

I don't think we should have higher expectations for everything in a game in this generation. Why should I expect the story to be better? Why should I expect the soundtrack to be better? etc :P

I don't think you should hold them to a lower standard, I thought we established this already, I just don't think you should hold them to a much higher standard. That they're new should affect your expectations a little bit. They're not Naughty Dog. Unless Naughty Dog somehow get pressured into releasing their new UC game unfinished, which better be finished, then I'd say that's something you should expect a lot from, because they are known for being one of the best development teams in the industry. 

On a little side-note. Honestly, I'm more looking forward to indie games, even many of the PC ports, because that's where I often find the gameplay I like. Honestly, I was pretty tired of FPS and TPS games around the time of the launch of PS3. This seems to be one of the big things with these AAA titles. I'm even less interested in those military shooter games especially where your camera shakes all over the place when you move around. What I want is adventure, RPG, platformer, puzzle platformer etc.

EDIT:

I'm going to guess that this game will be possible to get the platinum for in like 12-15 hours or so, but I'm just guessing! What do you guys think?

Edited by MMDE

I might wait a bit with this game. Not saying anything negative about it...i just don't want what happened with Infamous to repeat itself--beat the game and managed platinum in about 3 days and then i had nothing to do except stare at a disc and wonder if the cash was worth it. 

It seems a lot of people, for the first time ever in gaming history at this level, are now worried about game length over story/game. (or worried about a game like this period).  Smh!

First? I highly doubt that. These kinds of reactions for any entertainment piece have been going on for years.

Similar skepticism is going on with Persona fans with the latest installment that's coming out and Street Fighter V as well.

• Like 1

I might wait a bit with this game. Not saying anything negative about it...i just don't want what happened with Infamous to repeat itself--beat the game and managed platinum in about 3 days and then i had nothing to do except stare at a disc and wonder if the cash was worth it. 

Judging by the high rate of platinum achievers already Id say that you have hit the mark.

It seems a lot of people, for the first time ever in gaming history at this level, are now worried about game length over story/game. (or worried about a game like this period).  Smh!

I think its quite the opposite, people have always worried about really eye-popping games like this and what content it has especially with their money at stake. No matter how amazing the game may be not many people want something that they just spent $60 on to be over in a day or two. Im not saying that they should cram a bunch of useless side quests in the game for the sake of length but i do believe that there needs to be a balance.

Ever since the first videos and interviews came out, it has been clear to me that this is all about the graphics. The problem is, you are selling me a $60 video game, and your main selling point is "Look at these graphics, aren't they great?" Why would I pay for that, when I can see it on YouTube?

This is a video game, and gameplay always comes first. There is nothing in this game that makes it stand out from the rest. It's a generic 3rd person cover shooter, with QTEs at every corner. Which is fine, if you like that stuff. Instead of trying to do something different and special with this, they spent all their time making it look pretty. This 5 hour length just proves that. So much potential wasted.

• Like 1

I've played little bit over 3 hours and just got into Chapter 6. I don't think this game is so short that people says. I haven't been rushing but not either stalling in purpose. Haven't got a single trophy after 3 hours which is funny.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Just platinumed the game and it took me about 4 and a half hours. Good story and the graphics were beautiful too.

I don't know how anybody completes the game this fast.  First of all your character walks slowly, then you have to explore every single crack and corner to find collectibles, and then get all the kills with weapons done.

I'm looking at the 100% list and so far I call bullshit on them, hacks. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

I don't know how anybody completes the game this fast.  First of all your character walks slowly, then you have to explore every single crack and corner to find collectibles, and then get all the kills with weapons done.

Completion time is done by first to last trophy earned. I haven't played this game but looking at the fastest achiever in under an hour it looks like a lot of the trophies you can get say 24 kills with a specific weapon then get the final kill whenever you wan to trigger the trophy. Keeping note of all your kill statistics etc and reloading an appropriate save or something would likely allow you to get the ridiculously fast times.

There is also no way to hack PS4 trophies.

• Like 1

They will be legit times. This game is very short and if you use a collectibles guide you can easily get the plat in one play through in one sitting. Also most importantly trophies in this game can be avoided until you are pretty much at the end of the game. 53 minutes is the time between first and last trophies remember. Not the total playtime

I don't know how anybody completes the game this fast. First of all your character walks slowly, then you have to explore every single crack and corner to find collectibles, and then get all the kills with weapons done.

some people do beat the entire game under two hours, I don't have a ps4 but I think you can plat this game in one sitting one playthrough, some people were just too good. Edited by yellowwindow7

You really don't understand how trophies and timestamps work? Well okay then.

You really don't understand how trophies and timestamps work? Well okay then.

I don't know why anybody would save them all to do near the end in the shortest amount of time.  Psychological issues perhaps?

why care what others have or haven't done? worry about your own games and not linger on a 1+ year old thread.

No, u.

Doesn't matter when the thread is created, I am playing this game NOW and so I choose to check out the forum for it.

They will be legit times. This game is very short and if you use a collectibles guide you can easily get the plat in one play through in one sitting. Also most importantly trophies in this game can be avoided until you are pretty much at the end of the game. 53 minutes is the time between first and last trophies remember. Not the total playtime

It took me about 10 hours to play. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

I don't know why anybody would save them all to do near the end in the shortest amount of time.  Psychological issues perhaps?

Maybe to get the fastest time? Why do you even care?

Edited by Juzota
  • Like 1

With gamesave manipulations I can't take fastest completion times seriously.  This would be an easy game to do it on.  Still, I'm a slow player and I did this plat very quickly without even trying, its my fastest plat at 5h7m.

Edited by audiopile