What would happen if trophies weren't as exposable?

Xxleonardo97xX

Trophy hunters and networks  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Would you still be a trophy hunter if there was no PSN?

• Yes, I always achieve 100% in every game I play, either trophy supported or not.
    • No, I only 100% some games because I can show it on my PSN profile.
    • Yes, I'd continue seeking for 100% but only games I love playing.
    • No, I don't care about trophies in or out of the game.

It crossed my mind a few days ago if I would still be a trophy hunter if I couldn't show my achievements over a network or several websites (like pspnprofiles).

My point here is to ask you guys what would happen to most trophy hunters (you too) if the trophies only existed in-game, so no place to show them to everyone. 

For example: I reached Master Prestige in several Call of Duty's but there's no trophy for it. However I still achieved that status because I really like the multiplayer.

Would they (you) still earn trophies, grind, boost? Do you think that the ability to show your trophies influences your trophy hunting career?

Results as of 17/02/2018:

65 people admit to play not so enjoyable games just for trophies. (option 3)

Edited by Xxleonardo97xX

I think without showcasing trophies, I would pretty much play through the campaign and the move onto the multiplayer if it had any. The only games I would only ever attempt to 100% were RPG games, the old FF games. Those were the only games I really had the patience for.

I never really thought about it, I can't really remember what I did with games before trophies. I don't think I gamed that much. I remember buying Uncharted when I first got my PS3 and that had all in game trophies, I was happy with just going through the campaign on normal once.

Being able to show them off is definitely an influence, for me atleast anyway.

Everyone is different.

Edited by Meacham93
  • Like 2

I'd probably still shoot for 100% or something similar just for my own satisfaction. Even before trophies became a thing, I'd level grind every playable character in a game to 99 (or whatever max level was) even though nobody was ever gonna see it except me.

I'll admit that I wouldn't always go for 100%. I would get everything in-game (in the games I really liked), but I wouldn't ever bother with the unnecessarily tedious trophies. 

For example, I wouldn't have bothered getting Riku to level 100 in KH Re:CoM without PSN Profiles, and wouldn't have gotten the plat. Because there's no real point to it. You don't unlock any extra content in doing so and there are no secret bosses that need you to be that high. So there's no real reason to do it.

But I absolutely would've still gotten the Tales of Symphonia plat, because every trophy is obtained by getting things in game. 

Even now, I don't really get trophies to show off to other people, or anything like that. I do it primarily because when I look at my profile, I feel a sense of accomplishment. Only when I look at my profile and my stats here though. I don't know if it's the layout, or because of the more in-depth stats, or what, but when I look at the official stuff, I just don't really care. Especially when looking at it on the PS3. It just feels like a list of games.

Looking at it here though, I can easily track everything I've done, and want to accomplish. It's especially satisfying to set my profile to display by percentage, and then scrolling down the list and seeing all of my 100% and plats all in a row. Seeing all of the work I've done like that gives me that sense of accomplishment.

• Like 1

I'd keep earning trophies as usual. When I first discovered trophies I had no access to PSN, I had no broadband, hell, I didn't even know what Facebook was, I'd get as many trophies as possible, and only have multiplayer trophies left because I didn't have broadband, I got broadband late 2010 I think. The first trophy I achieved was from BioShock, I had no idea what this thing was that 'pinged' on my screen, but I liked it. When I noticed the list which had 1% I decided I wanted 100%. But I'd only 100% a game if I really liked it, I won't buy DLC I have no interest in solely for 100%. I think I would earn trophies the same way I do now, the trophy sites and social aspect just add to the fun of doing it for me.

It largely depends on the particular game. As a general rule, I aim for 100% completion of the single-player -- I only bother with multi-player because of trophies -- in most titles that I play, though I don't always succeed in attaining 100% for various reasons. After all, I still play (and aim to 100%) titles on both current Nintendo platforms and retro platforms from various manufacturers, none of which support global achievement systems.

So, without trophies, I'd still be aiming to 100% complete games but I wouldn't bother with multi-player in titles like Far Cry 3 and Grand Theft Auto V and I wouldn't do ancillary things like killing an enemy by jumping on it in Borderlands or completing the game without ending a battle with my buddy knocked out in South Park: the Stick of Truth.

I would only 100% it if it was an interesting game for me, if no then I would move on after I beat it, thats if I dont get bored before that.

For example:  thats the same as getting loads of medals and locking them into the basement, whats the point of even earning them if you wouldn't be able to show them to others, unless you really liked the activity that you were doing ( in this case its to 100% a game)

I was a completionist way before trophies/achievements were introduced so if I really liked a game I would 100% it anyway for in-game medals, just like I did with Valkyria Chronicles and Uncharted (before trophies were added). However I wouldn't touch most games' MP or any of the grinding trophies.

The poll choices don't cover my response - I'd happily continue doing exactly what I'm doing, regardless of whether or not anyone else could see my profile.

I don't post my Trophy Card in my sig, nor do I promote it in any way. It's MY profile, I don't play games for the approval of others and I don't give a flying fuck what anyone else thinks of it.

• Like 1

I like Trophy hunting for my own satisfaction, I couldn't care less what other people think about the games I play or my completion. Probably a good job considering all the kids games on my profile! 

I must admit though I like seeing my stats represented on both PSN and this wonderful site. Trophy hunting probably wouldn't bring the same level of satisfaction if there was nothing to show for it. 

Swings and roundabouts really, I probably wouldn't go for 100% completion without PSN but not because I want others to see my accomplishments. I just want to marvel in my own magnificence! (Or lack of...)

I think I'll go with the third option - I only play games I enjoy, I would never subject myself to playing a bad game or a game I didn't like for the sake of earning trophies. In fact I play some games even after I get the platinum/100% and several games without trophies. That being said, I don't earn trophies or play games to show off or earn anyone's approval, I play them for my own enjoyment.

Edited by Lumibelle
  • Like 2

Interesting topic. Although to be completely honest, I'd say that I think I'd personally miss missing the cool connections I've made with some of the people I regularly play with now--if there was no psn; over the few gaming proclamations/milestones I do have.

There will probably always be a certain level of awesomeness one feels with each passing trophy though. Like, "F yeah. I did this. Me." And who knows, maybe that feeling of accomplishment is multiplied when you can achieve the same goal with some others =]

And maybe taking that said feeling away might be the biggest worry here--(not feeling accomplished/proud of it anymore.)

Before any of the trophies involved in this though...I completed & did side missions in many games when I was younger. I was more of a 'completionist' then I supppose. But I never got any trophies from them =] Not saying trophies aren't a reason for motivation, but I'm sayin that, personally, I'd probably just kick it old school & play like I used to. Maybe with a little less stress too.

Edited by TimmyTurnersDad6
  • Like 1

PSN plays a large role in it because half the fun of trophies is the ability to record statistics and display it in meaningful ways... like on this site.  Without it, I'd probably spend more time tracking and reformatting the data then I would actually playing the games to produce the same results.

It'd take some of the fun out of trophy hunting (the little I do these days) for sure.  Probably wouldn't cut it out altogether though.  Hard to say.  Heck, it might change the way I think about it, and place less importance on the community elements of trophy hunting... and focus more on the games themselves.

On the plus side, no PSN, no more online achievements oops! trophies!  I'm sorry!   ;)

Edited by Dreakon13