Why do people avoid harder platinums?

TakeaShower__

It really depends on what a person thinks is a tough trophy set.

There might be people like me who avoid most Platinums that involve online playing...while some games with online playing might not necessarily be hard I just don't like playing online with other people so a bunch of my games will never be platted. My Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2 game comes to mind. 3 trophies left until I plat the game and I got the "hardest", which is really only rarest here, yet didn't go after the online trophies and likely never will even though they have higher completion rates.

I only got the platinums on most AC games because I was able to do a good portion of it by myself. However, I avoided the Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 platinum because despite ONLY needing the online titles I would lag horrendously, the only game to ever lag online I might add, and rarely pull off a win. (not to mention the people who apparently can't play without using naruto for his fox form...)

Then there are some people who think games without online trophies are always going to be easy because you can do everything by yourself. This doesn't bother me in the slightest because I started out playing games by myself that's how I plan on keeping it for the most part. Arkham Asylum has a relatively easy Platinum that you can do yourself....however I've never been good at games that require timing for fights (although I was pretty good at guitar hero and DDR when I was younger) so the freeflow and combat challenge trophies aren't something I would go for. Game was a crap ton of fun though. :D

It's really just perspective. I plan on playing Star Ocean Last Hope International...one day...and despite not having online trophies, AFAIK, it is apparently tough to platinum. Not gonna stop me from doing my damnedest lol.

Megamind is a better game than 90% of the JRPG's you play.

I have no JRPGs currently synced to my profile - Kudos for attempted provocation anyway. You seem to be quite the fan of Megamind.

Someone who has Uncharted, GoW, Sly, Ratchet, Jak, AC, Hitman, inFAMOUS, etc plats (all easy but very enjoyable games) is a cheap gamer and should be reason to laugh at. Needless to say more...

And to this, I quote:

When people abandon their old accounts, to maintain 100% completion on a new account, doing so by obtaining nothing but easy trophies. That is the cheapness of which I speak.

Grouchiness gets you nowhere.

Edited by Aela
  • Like 3

Personally, I avoid what I can't get and know I can't get, even with my greatest effort, and will corrupt my profile and am too lazy to put in rquired long periods of time for some platinums. Also, if I can't do most of it (most of the work for the platinum) on my own, I will avoid the plat. Im not going to look at walkthroughs on how to get through most of the game or get most of my plat. I need to at least be able to put in 60% of effort on my part without help.

Others, avoid it to avoid corrupting their profiles (aka completionist) and some (painfully) believe quantity over quality. There is nothing impressive about plat'ting the Sly Collection on Vita and PS3. Yes you have 6 Platinums technically from them, but you're playing the same (easy) game again for the platinum that you already have on another system, Sony was just too lazy to give them shared trophy list (data), so you really only have 3 legit plats. Then there is also the platting extremely easy games (after platting the same game on multiple systems), like Hanana Montana, some shameful indie games, etc. This is second place to platting the same (easy) game on another system, but this is also not impressive.

• Like 2

Due to lack of guides for someone of them, also trophies that requires people's help ain't a favorite among trophy hunters. My awesome friend Zanzarro is trying to complete Raiden 4 Overkill without no guides (I hope the gaming gods bless him). I know he's got that Q1, but he ain't that crazy yet lol. 

Well if I want something challenging I find a game with a low trophy ratio, id play it. I dont if I have other games that I want to play or I have others things busy so I want to play a simple game. But whats the point of playing an easy game? I want to get that feeling after earning that 1.0 ratio trophy and feel good. Getting those hard trophies that nobody could earn and feel proud. I certainly dont want to play for the rest of my life pure easy games to 100 percent that anybody else could get with little effort. Theres no challenge when playing easy plat games.

Interesting topic :)  Personally, I don't just play 'random, easy' games for trophies; I only play games I want to play, and if they have a good trophy list, then great, I'll go for it. 

Personally, I love the feeling of going for and achieving 'hard' platinums. Most of the ones I've achieved have been in more 'Indie' games (like Rogue Legacy, Mirror's Edge or Mercenary Kings) where there is often a few really challenging parts to getting that plat.

I do think there is a difference, though, between a 'hard' platinum and a 'grind' platinum. I'm all for going for difficult ones (like Mirror's Edge's time trials or the 15-death run in Rogue Legacy... or even the gold trophy for finishing Insane Mode in Outlast), because of the awesome feeling of satisfaction when you finally beat it. 'Grindy' plats (Mortal Kombat comes to mind) in my opinion aren't something that is worth going for. If you really love the game, then sure, by all means keep playing and earn that platinum; it will feel awesome when you get it. But if you just find yourself grinding for a platinum in a game that is long and you don't enjoy, there's no point. 150hr games like Dragon Age: Inquisition or 100hr plats like TLOU (for me, anyway) are different; they're long, sure, but I was having a great time so it felt like time well spent.

I love collecting platinums, but with a hectic uni and work life, I can't afford to grind away at long experiences that I don't enjoy. Hard plats are great, just not grindy ones for me personally :D

Edited by FluffyAssassin64
  • Like 1

I simply see it as two different aspects. Quality versus Quantity

The average hunter aims for quantity, getting multiple platinums from easy games (especially stackable lists like sound shapes) despite enjoying the game or not.

The rare hunter simply gets platinums on the games they enjoy, or find "enjoyable enough" to pursue such, despite difficulty and possible time investment.

To me, the rare hunter is triumphant, because I can't take any trophy hunter serious for increasing their statistics with stackable lists, child games, and avoiding difficult games due to statistic purposes.

Edited by Monk746
  • Like 2

It depends on how enjoyable it is. Most harder games (at least in terms of platinums) tend to be tedious with long grinds. They want you to spend too much time on one game that may not be that great. It turns into a chore. Video games are meant to be entertainment, and trophies are an added challenge. But video games should not be chores. 

Now hard ones that require skills and a fun challenge are another story. 

Edited by Lilseb93
  • Like 1

For me, I don't care how easy or hard the platinum is. It all depends on how my decision is on which game I like to play and enjoy next. I know I'm very much slow to earn and show new platinums lately due to being too much falling in love with non-platinum lists (100%) to increase the number of games' trophies I have happened to 100%. It's funny how many ultra rare and prestige trophies I have are coming from games with non-platinum lists. The reason why I like this way, because I don't see too many games with ultra rare or prestige platinums, and it's easier for me to encounter and challenge myself in a higher level of difficulty. And yes, I have a few ultra rare platinums. There is nothing wrong for me to play any game title regardless of how difficulty the platinum trophy is; only thing I avoid playing is if the games' online servers are closed. Most platinums I have are mostly single player based games.

Edited by TsubakiCalamity
  • Like 1

I just play whatever on my account,i used to be ocd about completion rates but i stopped since it was getting me depressed. If i really 'like' the game (that includes all the modes, for ex: i love call of duty mp but not really fond of single player/coop)  and after beating it I will prob go after the plat (kingdom hearts) just as long it's not too time consuming ( star ocean) or near impossible (I'm looking at you persona 4 arena)..

The fun is in playing the games for enjoyment, regardless of the trophies, or even your particular interest in the game itself.. If your happiness is influenced by trophy hunting, then that might be the priority for some people.. opting to instead grabbing a lot of trophies from a lot of "easy" games, because that is what they enjoy.

THIEF is an example where I got platinum not because I enjoyed the game, but because of the difficulty in collecting all secret areas.. a lot of people gave up on this platinum due to it. I even bought the app to track secret locations discovered total, when that was the only trophy left for me. The game was free.

Another example is my inclination to go pick up Vanquish, because of the TC6 difficulty hype I read about in another topic. Here I feel like I am seeking the challenge, even though I don't consider myself a sci-fi mech/transformers genre fan.

Tomb Raider on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed, and after finishing the game twice I pulled through for the multiplayer trophies simply for the plat, despite absolutely hating the MP.

End of the day it's all preference, and all subjective to individual experience.

This is what I don't care for. Too many people are hung up on numbers and would rather play 10 sorry ass games that have easy trophies than to play one really great game with a hard trophy list. There's nothing wrong with playing fifty piss easy games if that's what you're into. On the other hand, bragging about it doesn't even make sense to me.

Well, but what makes a game "great" is subjective. :)

Personally, I woldnt play CoD, because I dont like the genre. But many people love it and say its a great game.

Imo the Neptunia-franchise is great. With their ~70h the games are "piss easy" as well, but its also subjective, right?

For me, eg Hatsune Miku IS hard. Yes its a 20% Platinum, but this is not an argument, because the amount of people who are playing it. :)

A CoD looks harder from the %, because its one of the most popular franchises and most of the players dont care.

Maybe, a ~4% Platin (or whatever) was easier to obtain than a 20% Platin. As long we dont play both, we never will know.

Edited by Neputyunu
  • Like 1

On the other hand, bragging about it doesn't even make sense to me.

The feeling of accomplishment I get when I plat a game is why I hunt trophies and, for me at least, the harder the plat the greater the feeling of accomplishment. I feel that if you're in it for the numbers only then you're doing it wrong. This is just my view and, imo, the reason I see people time and again say they're burnt out or that they're quitting.

If they brag about plating a childs game... that doesnt make sense to me either. Kinda pathetic...and sad.. sad..

A good majority of "difficult" games have annoying online trophies. if it doesn't im all up for going for a hard game here and there only if it's %100 offline, im not trying to depend on people to help get a trophy lol but at this very moment im working on easier games because im slacking on my completion smh.

and also the genre itself can be a big factor.

• Like 2

Depends on genre i would say, although i have NBA 2k15 what i'm not really a fan of but my cousin asked me to buy it so we have a game to play together and still it is stuck at 25% xD

I don't give a damn about this game tbh cause i just bought it so me and my cousin have some fun times but due to work we only are able to play together at the weekend making it a bit harder to meet up online.

Other then that i don't mind especially now the Easter Egg sale looks very interesting but i'm not sure what to get.

Was thinking to stack up my account with 25€ and get Metal Gear Ground Zeroes, Entwined and Sound Shapes, those look like cool games.

I like hard plats/challenges and i haven't avoided a single one yet but IMO the main reasons why hunters avoid hard plats are:

• Frustration
  • Lack of dedication
  • Completion
  • (This is the main one) Motivation 

Bravo, this posts mentions all the possible reasons.

I don't ignore hard platinums, every single game that I get free or paid, I play them independently of trophies. Now if you take for example a game like Injustice Gods Amongs Us which is a hard platinum for the most casual people and if I simply don't have the skill in that type of game no matter how many times I try to succeed, then I will give up and move on to other games (but I don't rule the possibility of coming later to try beating it).

I have no JRPGs currently synced to my profile - Kudos for attempted provocation anyway.

Kudos for attempting to making me provocate ''you''. When I said JRPG's you play, it's ''you'' on the 2nd person of the plural, in case you didn't know that ...

And to this, I quote:

Grouchiness gets you nowhere.

In other words you're attacking yourself, you're the one grouching about people going for 100% with easy games. I simply gave an example, got that?

Trying to argue against facts is useless, so I expect no more quotes from you.

So many posts on what's legit and what's not legit

A trophy is a trophy in my opinion. Difficulty varies from person to person. Some are better at fighting games, fps games, jrpg etc

Yes I play stackable games. I go away to work 4 months out of the year with no internet so I use my vita. I stacked games like the walking dead, sly cooper, jak series etc. Playing the same (easy) game twice if you don't enjoy the game is very challenging just to get through (I bought my vita from a friend for 150 bucks with the jak collection and I already had it on ps3) loved the original jak so platted it again. Poor ports on 2 and 3 but did it cause I owned them. Why would those not still be legit plats just because I decided to play a game twice?

Also as of quantity being better than quality, I don't stack myself against others. Some have platinums I want that took effort and I can only hope some people look at mine and want a few I worked hard for

• Like 3

Personally it depends on the game for me. If I enjoy a game you better be god damn sure I'm gonna have a good crack at it.

If you don't enjoy the game then obviously of course they won't complete everything.

It's just funny when people say they complete everything and well, they don't have everything.