Why do people avoid harder platinums?

TakeaShower__

The only thing i don't like are multiplayer trophies, i like a challenge and i also like to get ultra rares, but there aren't many ultra rare plats that can be done offline only.

i have a lot of sp only games on my profile, but they aren't rare in most cases. hard games to platinum often have multiplayer trophies that require a lot of grinding and boosting.

and there is always a risk in multiplayer, servers can go down, connection problems are an issue, people not showing up in boosting sessions, those are things that i don't like about multiplayer trophies

You don't even fit into the cheapness criteria. xD I understand why you started anew. I started this account late last year, my old one has over 50 platinums. With this one I aim to keep 100% trophy completion, it's just not going to consist of games purchased specifically for their easy trophies.

Quality > Quantity

With that being said, quality also refers to games you actually enjoy, no matter what the rareness. Heck, if you liked Terminator: Salvation or Hannah Montanna so much that you were eager enough to get the platinum for it, then so be it!

It's just when people only purchase and play games to whore on for easy trophies, and to easily keep 100% trophy completion, is it then considered cheap in my eyes.

Agree. That was my reason, quality instead of quantity (aim for the highest complete rate as possible) and save some pounds in the process :)

Are people really avoiding harder plats though.  If you think about a game with a hard plat is probably what rated ultra-rare or rare.  So that means that enough people have played the game and not earned the plat that said game is considered to have a hard plat.  Not everyone has the same tastes in games so not every game that has hard plat is going to be on everyones list.  I mean Call of Duty Black Ops 2 has an ultra-rare plat and that game will never get added to my list quite simply because I have no interest in playing that game.

Rarity does not directly relate to difficulty and it seems like a huge misconception to me. Most of the time the most rare trophies have something wrong with them. Yes, sometimes they're difficult, but a majority are just bugged, glitched or just an unpopular game.

Take Black Ops 2 since you brought it up. It's not difficult to get. It's just time consuming. Added to that is the fact that it's one if not the biggest franchise that most of its owners have absolutely no interest in trophies let alone platinums.

I love easy and fast platinum trophies (Japanese Novels, 6x Sound Shapes etc.) and avoid long grindy platinum trophies.

Additionally, I dont play triple A storydriven Games (Last of Us, Uncharted, Beyond Two Souls, GTA5...) for trophies. 

I enjoy a playthrough without using a (collectible) guide (which destroys the experience IMO) and then I go for trophies, eventually.

So:

Easy/Fast Platinum Games only for Trophies.

Long Storydriven Triple A Games just for the enjoyment without aiming at trophies.

Well, that's how I do it... most of the times :D

Im just curious really.

Personally i play whatever regardless of a games trophy set like Wipeout. However i find it starnge how people don't like to play games that have trophy sets that are hard to complete regardless of how awesome the game could be.

I don't know about anyone else, but really bugs me when I see someone with a low post count start a mew forum topic and then NEVER weigh back in on it. Isn't that what status updates are for? Seems so rude to me...

• Like 2

I don't know about anyone else, but really bugs me when I see someone with a low post count start a mew forum topic and then NEVER weigh back in on it. Isn't that what status updates are for? Seems so rude to me...

Well ok.

From what i have seen people play and platinum what they want to, thats great.

Although difficulty may be subjective i feel people should use others opinions to enrich their own.

I guess when it comes down to it i think trophies are just bragging rights and worthless outside of that. Few trophies i have 'earned' felt rewarding to obtain just for the trophy alone, such as long grinds that give the illusion of difficulty. Just collect what you enjoy but don't expect people to be impressed by your high trophy level and stats when only easy and long grindy trophies are on your account.

If it's a hard plat that takes 100+ hours i will avoid it , just say i only get an hour a day to play my PlayStation ................ it's going to take 3+ months to plat !

i would be more in favor of a hard platinum that was 30 hours or less then it would only take a month at the most , i get bored of games pretty quickly and want them finished so i can get more money when i trade them in 

Honestly I am the opposite. If there is a game that has been said to be a good game and is challenging, it makes me want to play it even more. Though the 300 hours plats for most JRPG's are a turn off when are not really into anime.

Games like Demon's Souls and Wipeout HD are unique in ways and present different challenges, both of which were annoying and enjoyable at the same time. Games like Fear 2 and The Chronicles of Riddick present a different challenge in that you have to spend hours and hours online. Time is something that some people don't want to expend on certain games.

Though I see difficulty in a different light than some, to me it isn't just about skill which you can get through practice, but mental toughness on setting a goal and completing a task.

Trophies are goals in ways, and the more challenging the goal, the more rewarding it is to accomplish.

Edited by allenbird
  • Like 3

• 8 months later...

I love getting platinums and 100% on most games...but I do avoid getting Ultra Rare trophies....Theres only a fine amount of free time most people have to play video games....so I would not be playing a game over and over again with an increased difficulty just to get 1 trophy at the end eveytime i.e.( Metal Gear 4 & Kingdom Hearts). If the game is fun then i will play 50-75 hrs to platinum it..like Mass Effect 2&3  But very few games make me play them multiple times to platinum them. 

If a game is fun, platinum it.

mannysevenDX.png

I like harder games because they're challenging and is why I like them. I have a lot of easy plats I could be getting like AC2, Lego Batman 2 and so much more. Then I have hard ones like BFBC, Wipeout 2048, Sonic Unleashed, and more. Which ones would I play more.... I would play the harder ones. I find hard ones to be more intersting, while easy ones might have a good story, I have to push through to plat them. I would also play the harder ones so my trophy list looks better.

• Frustration
  • Lack of dedication
  • Completion
  • (This is the main one) Motivation 

^Pretty much this imo. As someone who started getting easy or medium diff plats for the most part, I never bothered with hard trophies until later (hard being synonym for needing huge amounts of skill to plat). I started with the fighting genre in these kinds of games after feeling inspired watching the EVO once. My first fighting plat took me 4+ months to achieve and it was a constant battle of frustration vs. motivation all the way, and real life obligations made it even harder to keep up. I think the same applies for many that you mention. My motivation was not so much the plat itself but getting good at the genre or at least start to know its ins n outs.

10/10 plats are almost the equal of getting married to the game and focus all your energy on studying almost every part of it. It isn't a wonder why many aren't that interested to that level. Sometimes the dedication you need is absolutely insane.

Even so, I have a lot of respect for the people who enjoy getting plats, whether easy or hard, as long as they enjoy the game.

I'm not sure what you're asking. The title says one thing and the post says another. But I assume why people don't play a game regardless of a difficult trophy list?

Either way, I don't care why someone plats or plays a game. People aren't so simple that everyone can be categorized into a few types. We all have our reasons and preferences. I don't understand getting a great number of virtual trophies that only you, for the most part, care about, but I can also see the appeal. Some people like clean spaces, even if it's just a virtual trophy list. Settling loose ends. Perhaps they have a second account for trying out games they're not sure they'll like or be able to Plat. So perhaps they're not actually "only playing games they can Plat."

Me, I'm happy with my 6 Plats. The rarest is the Danganronpa one and I've got 3 Lego Plats, but I really enjoyed those games. I don't care that my completion is low or my Plats are easy or I've got a lot of 'unfinished' games or how long it takes to finish one. If I really enjoyed the game, I eventually get around to it. I get burnt out easy. If I Plat something, it's because I think the game deserved it. Not because it was easy and would boost my numbers. It's a virtual achievement that only I care about.

• Like 1

Schedule for me and plenty others I presume. Don't really have time to dedicate towards getting a Platinum in one run, so they'll either maintain a reasonable completion percentage (Above average completion), then go for the platinum when they have more time to spare. Like holidays for example.

That said, I don't really agree with buying an easy game just purely to maintain a 90+ completion rate, or getting it platinum. 

In the timespan of a hard game, you could platinum a few easy ones. I've got a few hard plats lined up for myself, but I also have about 5 easy ones I can do quickly... So I'm trying to weave the hard ones in with the easy ones, so I can relieve a bit of frustration between hard plats. 

Because they're lame...obviously dwellers in the shadows of shame.Ha it baffles me how some of these people still consider themselves "gamers" having such attitude towards games/trophies.Just the thought of someone avoiding a good game because it has a hard plat...well it boggles ma mind.

I'm usually the contrary...hard plats attract me.Dat feeling of accomplishment is really like really rewarding.

• Like 1