Why do people avoid harder platinums?

TakeaShower__

For me it isn't an issue of challenge but the lack of creativity of most devs with their trophy/achievement list. I don't want to complete your game 2/3 times when there is absolutely no difference what so ever apart from difficulty, I don't want to collect 100 generic collectables if there is nothing special/unique about them, all this just for a shiny trophy for my profile woah... That being said some games do this right, e.g. each difficulty for Dragon Crown has its own ending, Akibas Strip collectables are actual real flyers handed out in Akihabara which you can see.

hmm, maybe becoz others just wanna avoid playing too long and others don't have the patience to do the hard trophies. I personally like playing hard to plat games coz it's really challenging and it feels really good whenever you plat that game. It doesn't matter how long it'll take to get the plat as long as you're having fun and if the game is really good. I guess it'll be worth it :)

Edited by CaTofWaRxMiKu04
  • Like 1

Not everybody can be bothered to go for long/troublesome trophies. I've also noticed when people have less free time, they don't want to spend it doing something tedious in their games. I don't mind it occasionally, but if it starts to feel like work I know I should probably stop while I'm ahead lol. I don't really worry about what other people are going for, though. Really just focus on what I like to do when I'm gaming.

I don't avoid hard platinums, I just can't get them xD

But in all serious sometimes I guess people look at a game and see it's going to take x number of hours to complete and so just don't bother and instead go for a game they can complete within the day. It's a shame but I guess in the world of trophy hunting some people think of the quantity not quality!

Im just curious really.

Personally i play whatever regardless of a games trophy set like Wipeout. However i find it starnge how people don't like to play games that have trophy sets that are hard to complete regardless of how awesome the game could be.

As someone who usually doesn't avoid games because of trophies, but occasionally does, I'll answer as follows:

For me, I hate when a game has a lousy, grindy trophy list. It's sort of a "brown M&M" thing with me (to go back to Van Halen's weird demand from years past). A developer who cares about his/her game should care about all aspects of it, and if they can't get the trophies right, why should I believe that they got the game right?

Now, understand, I'm making a distinction between "difficult" and "hard to complete" (which is a fine distinction to blur in general, but is useful to me now).

This is what I don't care for. Too many people are hung up on numbers and would rather play 10 sorry ass games that have easy trophies than to play one really great game with a hard trophy list. There's nothing wrong with playing fifty piss easy games if that's what you're into. On the other hand, bragging about it doesn't even make sense to me.

Or, maybe they want to play 10 really, really GOOD games with easier trophy lists, rather than one good game with a hard trophy list. I love Star Ocean. But it has an atrocious trophy list. That was fine for me - I care about trophies, but I'm not passing up one of my favorite franchises for them. But maybe someone else wants to play 5 GoW games, a couple of Saint's Row games, etc. etc., in the absurd time necessary to plat one Star Ocean.

Nowdays people just want it the easy way. I play whatever games I feel like regardless how rare or common their Trophies are..It's the society that rears it's ugly head on this reason aswell. I've said this probably 1000 times but I say it again: Some people buy Trophies not Games, more Trophies you have more awesome you are. Same goes for people who judge people depending of Trophies and their Rarity. Someone who has double Trophies from Sly: Thieves In Time is without a question a worse player than someone who has Platinum from Hannah Montana and COD, No matter what their other Trophies were. Most people tend also think that Trophy Rarity reflects the game difficulty when it definitely doesn't. Most games with Ultra Rare trophies (On my opinion and experience) are just tedious and grindy, nothing hard on that. You just need the right motivation and patience on that. 

Sorry for the amount of negativity on this post but, I was a little shocked to find posts about how Platinum from Sly, Ratchet etc. Are just laughtable.. (well yeah they're kids games but still)I mean are they not Platinum at all? (I have those Platinums and I don't give sh*t if someone laughts at me I played them for the nostalgia) Is Ultra Rare Platinum better than Common Platinum? How? You get more points from it? No? Maybe on some leaderboards but still.More satisfactory, well that maybe.Think about someone who is new video games(a kid or teenager) and worked hard for Sly Thieves In Time and you just go and say their hard work is nothing. Not to mention that most of the guys who are on top of the leaderboards have games like Hannah Montana and Sly on their Trophy Lists. Seems like trophies define what kind of player you are not the way you play. I bet the pressure of what other's think make people choose the either road. People call you a noob for having Sly on your trophy list: answer I'm a Trophy Hunter. That's why I have them. Or: You have less trophies than someone else because they have Sly or Double Platinum from some game: I'm better because I don't have them.

But anyways it's everyone's own choice. I just think most people are Trophy Hunters and want as many Trophies as they can, so they avoid hard Trophies. 

• Like 2

Im just curious really.

Personally i play whatever regardless of a games trophy set like Wipeout. However i find it starnge how people don't like to play games that have trophy sets that are hard to complete regardless of how awesome the game could be.

Elaborate on what you mean. When you say "avoid", are you asking why people don't bother going for the platinum when playing these games or why people don't bother playing these games altogether?

Personally, I play any game that interest me: easy platinum, hard platinum, no platinum, no trophies...it doesn't really matter to me since experiencing the game is always the priority for me.

• Like 1

Or, maybe they want to play 10 really, really GOOD games with easier trophy lists, rather than one good game with a hard trophy list. I love Star Ocean. But it has an atrocious trophy list. That was fine for me - I care about trophies, but I'm not passing up one of my favorite franchises for them. But maybe someone else wants to play 5 GoW games, a couple of Saint's Row games, etc. etc., in the absurd time necessary to plat one Star Ocean.

Is Star Ocean difficult or just long? The few people that I've talked to about it say it's just an extremely long grind. That's not to say it doesn't have it's tricky parts. It takes determination to keep from quitting a really long grind. It takes a lot more willpower, imo, not to quit a game that's kicking your ass though.

Either way, you're the second person to misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I see people passing up really good games like Saint's Row (your example) or Dark Souls (mine) because they would rather play glitch infested buggy game that takes 5 hours to plat as opposed to spending 40-80 hours on game simply because of how long it takes. Theres nothing really wrong with throwing an easy game in the mix to break the monotony, but it isn't worth it to me to play nothing but those games in order to get my trophy count up.

When people abandon their old accounts, to maintain 100% completion on a new account, doing so by obtaining nothing but easy trophies. That is the cheapness of which I speak.

This is true to some but for instance my case was different, I have my old account TJDCD but because I changed country and I wanted to have more control on the games (I was buying games and not playing the right way, so why not start from scratch) I played I created a new one TD2UK and I feel happy with it, while I do my best to have a high completion rate I don't run away of games like olli2 (an awesome game, 90% at game rankings and incredible HARD) or any other awesome game, I always do my best to 100% if I can I can if don't make I tried my best.

I don't avoid hard platinums due to them being hard, but I have passed on some games that are considered hard platinums, but for entirely different reasons:

1. they are fighting games or sports games, two genres I'm not very good at (I have however played but not platted Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe and Injustice, for example)
  2. they are not interesting enough (I'm not going to name examples since opinions are each individual's own, so there are lots of people who will disagree :P)
  3. they require a time commitment I'm not willing to commit to - usually this isn't the biggest of deals for me, but sometimes I will ignore or at least postpone a game if it would take forever to get the platinum in
  4. they are not the games to play "right now", meaning I could already have a "hard" game (Metal Gear Rising, for example), but I'm not going to play/plat it until a time that it "clicks" with me and I feel like going for it

That said, I also own some of the easiest platinums out there (including auto-popping cross-save platinums), so I'm not averse to taking the easy way out either and getting some super easy and fast platinums. However, I don't only play those, but for some people that doesn't matter and that's the only thing they'll judge a trophy collection by. I think everyone should be allowed to play and plat whatever they want without others scoffing at them, so I'm not going to look down at anyone for playing a game like Hannah Montana or worship them as the next trophy god if they only get ultra rares and only platinum the hardest of games.

Anyways, congratulations to those who do manage to platinum them and also those who maintain their 100% completions (or even both of these things), it's very impressive most of the time.

• Like 1

Is Star Ocean difficult or just long? The few people that I've talked to about it say it's just an extremely long grind. That's not to say it doesn't have it's tricky parts. It takes determination to keep from quitting a really long grind. It takes a lot more willpower, imo, not to quit a game that's kicking your ass though.

Either way, you're the second person to misunderstand what I'm trying to say. I see people passing up really good games like Saint's Row (your example) or Dark Souls (mine) because they would rather play glitch infested buggy game that takes 5 hours to plat as opposed to spending 40-80 hours on game simply because of how long it takes. Theres nothing really wrong with throwing an easy game in the mix to break the monotony, but it isn't worth it to me to play nothing but those games in order to get my trophy count up.

I don't want to get into the debate on "hard" versus "long" (that's sounds hilarious, BTW). It's moot here anyway - "hard to obtain" (which was the statement in the original post) takes both of these into account.

I just don't think there are that many people who are only playing easy, bad games. Sure, people play some easy bad games - back in the day, when I first started hunting plats, I played a lot of crappy kid's games. It's nice for a breather, and some easy trophies. I might pick a couple up this very week. But I fully understand someone who passes up Star Ocean because of the trophy list.

This is a site devoted to trophies, and as many have said, at the end of the day, it's the number of trophies that matters. Yes - this site has tried to add other things (like the "ultra-rare" designation), which I am happy for, but still, my ultra-rare Power Gig plat (which is a piss-easy plat, BTW) has just as much value as my decidedly common Hannah Montana plat.

When i was an achievement whore lol, I use to avoid some harder games, especially if i was on the fence about it.  Now when i got into trophies, i just play more games just for fun, even though i do get some easy games w trophies still, but i enjoy them more.  If they are harder games, I want to finish and if I get 50% or more completion than i am happy.

This is true to some but for instance my case was different, I have my old account TJDCD but because I changed country and I wanted to have more control on the games (I was buying games and not playing the right way, so why not start from scratch) I played I created a new one TD2UK and I feel happy with it, while I do my best to have a high completion rate I don't run away of games like olli2 (an awesome game, 90% at game rankings and incredible HARD) or any other awesome game, I always do my best to 100% if I can I can if don't make I tried my best.

You don't even fit into the cheapness criteria. xD I understand why you started anew. I started this account late last year, my old one has over 50 platinums. With this one I aim to keep 100% trophy completion, it's just not going to consist of games purchased specifically for their easy trophies.

Quality > Quantity

With that being said, quality also refers to games you actually enjoy, no matter what the rareness. Heck, if you liked Terminator: Salvation or Hannah Montanna so much that you were eager enough to get the platinum for it, then so be it!

It's just when people only purchase and play games to whore on for easy trophies, and to easily keep 100% trophy completion, is it then considered cheap in my eyes.

Edited by Aela
  • Like 2

Are people really avoiding harder plats though.  If you think about a game with a hard plat is probably what rated ultra-rare or rare.  So that means that enough people have played the game and not earned the plat that said game is considered to have a hard plat.  Not everyone has the same tastes in games so not every game that has hard plat is going to be on everyones list.  I mean Call of Duty Black Ops 2 has an ultra-rare plat and that game will never get added to my list quite simply because I have no interest in playing that game.  

Edited by MrKittyEmperor

Im just curious really.

What data set are you using that says people don't like to play games that have "hard" trophies? Are you just extrapolating your interpretation of your observations? As evidenced above by all the comments, "people" don't do what you are asking about. Also, are you using trophy rarity to equate to "hard"?

• Like 1

I simply see it as two different aspects. Quality versus Quantity

The average hunter aims for quantity, getting multiple platinums from easy games (especially stackable lists like sound shapes) despite enjoying the game or not.

The rare hunter simply gets platinums on the games they enjoy, or find "enjoyable enough" to pursue such, despite difficulty and possible time investment.

To me, the rare hunter is triumphant, because I can't take any trophy hunter serious for increasing their statistics with stackable lists, child games, and avoiding difficult games due to statistic purposes.

Maybe the "average hunters" liked the game the first time round enough to play it again? It isn't all about just increasing numbers.

I, personally, loved Sound Shapes, and did it legit all 3 times. Would I have cross-saved if I didn't enjoy the game? Probably not. Motorstorm is the exception to this rule, because I loaded the game up on Vita expecting to be asked to import save data, but nope, trophies just started popping. And since half the trophies had already popped, I figured I'd complete it on Vita and just cross-save it on PS3. If I had known, I wouldn't have downloaded it.

Sorry you can't take us seriously because we replay games that we know we like.

Edit: And about the "easy games" that is purely subjective, and "easy" games can be really enjoyable. Not every easy game is an abomination.

Edit 2: And about stacking, that's subjective too. Let's take KH for example, and imagine every KH game had trophies. Would KH II Final Mix be different enough to KH 2 to warrant it being a "new" list? Or is it the same game? I'd personally say it's new, but that'd be different depending on the person.

Or Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD. It drops the MP and I believe it adds a few subtle improvements. Is that different enough?

What about LEGO games, where the Vita version has the same trophy list name as the PS3 version, but plays completely different?

And then you have games like FIFA and CoD which people always say are copy/paste every year - should only one of these be platted per account for us to be considered "rare" hunters?

Stacking lists isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Edit 3: Also, "child" games can be a lot of fun. Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince was magnificent, it was so much fun just to explore Hogwarts (I assume by "child" you mean movie tie-ins, because again this is very subjective).

I bought HP6 and HP7 because I enjoyed the books/movies, and (it was a few years ago after all) I rented Planet 51 because I enjoyed the movie, not to further my trophy count. Can you not take me seriously now?

You will never know what somebody's intentions were when starting a game, so there's no need to jump to conclusions. Not everyone is out to better their trophy numbers, and even if they are, so what? It's their choice. As long as they aren't hacking I see nothing wrong with it at all.

Edited by madbuk
  • Like 2

I never knew about my percentage before joining this site. I was around 62% a year ago and have worked to improve both the percentage and unearned. I do the research before starting something new and even more thought goes in if its an old game. Can I still platinum it etc. I won't play crap but I don't want to be pulling my hair out either. I want to play all the best that are in the genres I like.

• Like 1

This is what I don't care for. Too many people are hung up on numbers and would rather play 10 sorry ass games that have easy trophies than to play one really great game with a hard trophy list. There's nothing wrong with playing fifty piss easy games if that's what you're into. On the other hand, bragging about it doesn't even make sense to me.

The feeling of accomplishment I get when I plat a game is why I hunt trophies and, for me at least, the harder the plat the greater the feeling of accomplishment. I feel that if you're in it for the numbers only then you're doing it wrong. This is just my view and, imo, the reason I see people time and again say they're burnt out or that they're quitting.

I just want to say Rowdi is my hero, I couldn't have said it better.

• Like 1