Horribly broken touch screen, am I alone?

Okay, this is a major piss off.

First Vita of the story: Original model, bought in Feb 2013. A few days into owning it, I held a lighter to the back of it to do a stupid light mini game in Uncharted, I know, dumb idea, but it didn't pick up any other damn lights so I thought an open flame might work, shut up, I wanted to play Nathan Drake Portable. Anyway, aside from that fun fact of a story, I treated that damn thing like a queen, and I don't know, half a year ago, 9 months, somewhere in between, the touch screen started screwing up. Since it was out of warranty and I didn't  use it toooo much, I decided to just deal with it. As time went on, it became genuinely unplayable, it would constantly think I was holding the top left or right corner or something and just never work. It's hard to explain, but trust me, it was not me at fault, I'd tried everything, researched extensively, all to find nothing. I'd play something like Jetpack Joyride, as it's a good example, and as he's controlled with the touch screen, he'd start flying at his own will, usually hitting his head on the roof, then hitting a lazer, then dying, over and over. The unit was fucked basically, and I figured it had a year and a half or so of hardcore use, go look at my profile, I have a bunch of Vita plats from that time, I used that thing a great deal, I figured natural wear and tare, and finally brought myself up to the task of selling it.

Second Vita of the story: New 2002 model, bought either 4 or 5 days ago, I forget. It has the same problems pretty well. Both were new, but this one is less than a damn week old. It started yesterday, I got a PSN message from someone and tried to reply, and the keyboard decided I was pressing the S button and anything else was a mistake so it corrected me to pressing S over and over. Then the letters around S. Turned the Vita off and on completely, it worked, I moved on and pretended I had a wet finger and it was my fault even though I knew it wasn't. Later on I was playing Batman Vita, now, to activate detective mode in that game you have to touch and hold the screen and move your finger around, when in this mode, you can't move around or punch or anything...So imagine how annoying it is when the game thinks you're holding the detective mode button and won't let you move out of it. Near the bottom right corner, as the game has an indication of where you're touching, I could see it moving about ever so slightly, like someone was holding it with a tiny little twitch. So basically, my Vita thinks someone's touching the screen when no one is, and I can't make it work. Just five minutes ago I went on it to simply copy a picture from my computer and make it the wallpaper, it would not let me do shit, and then it decided the memory card had been ejected too. So now I'm going to format it and return the damn thing tomorrow, if the store wants to complain about me not having the box, I'll complain about them stocking a faulty fucking product.

Bonus Vita of the story: My girlfriend's Vita that she got, I don't know, maybe a year ago, probably less, it's had the same stupid problems too, though not as often or huge.

Bonus Vita of the story #2: The PS TV I've had since launch, with the noticable absense of a touch screen, works fucking perfectly.

So, has anyone else had problems like this, or am I just incredibly unlucky? If they can swap it out for another Vita and that one works, awesome, if they can't, well, I have a PS TV and a 3DS, and I've given you enough chances, Vita. This is unnacceptable.

I've had my Vita since September 2012 and have never had a issue like this. The only issue I have had with the touchscreen (and it happens, maybe once is 2 months) in on the lock screen. I sometimes cant drag the thingy to unlock my Vita. Tapping the power button to put it to sleep, then turning it on again would make it work perfectly again.

• Like 1

Yeah, my PSVita's touch screen was horrible, I dunno if it's always been like that but I noticed it for the first time when I was playing Tearaway, a game which relies heavily on the touch controls. I eventually decided to buy a new Vita. 

Edited by Venocide
  • Like 1

I'm afraid I haven't experienced this either (original model Vita), and my screen is pretty grimy (but not so much that the picture is obscured). 

You didn't do something like put a screen protector on, did you? My wife's iPhone started doing something similar once, probably because of invisible grime under the protector because it cleared up when we removed the protector, cleaned the phone and applied a new protector sheet.

I'm afraid I haven't experienced this either (original model Vita), and my screen is pretty grimy (but not so much that the picture is obscured). 

You didn't do something like put a screen protector on, did you? My wife's iPhone started doing something similar once, probably because of invisible grime under the protector because it cleared up when we removed the protector, cleaned the phone and applied a new protector sheet.

I was about to say the exact opposite, lol.  Wondering if not having a screen protector he'd somehow damaged the screen.

• Like 1

I've had a few issues that you described (thinks I'm constantly pressing the top left corner) every now and then. I find it's usually sweat or oil from my fingers etc. and a quick tap of the power button to put it in sleep mode followed by a wipe down with a lint-free rag usually does the trick. Sometimes it takes a good clean to get it working 100% again, but I'm only having the problem about once a fortnight tops, so it's not a big deal.

I've had my Vita since September 2012 and have never had a issue like this. The only issue I have had with the touchscreen (and it happens, maybe once is 2 months) in on the lock screen. I sometimes cant drag the thingy to unlock my Vita. Tapping the power button to put it to sleep, then turning it on again would make it work perfectly again.

I have had that happen too, I wonder what the hell is up with it?

A mystery's afoot. If the only common thread is the faulty screen and the person using the Vita, then I'd deduce that there's something that person is doing unknowingly in the way he's using it that's causing the problem. Who the hell knows though. My Vita causes a weird problem sometimes where if I'm using touch controls for a bit, then immediately switch to using my laptop's touchpad to look something up in a guide, the touchpad will stop working at all until I wipe my finger and the touchpad with a cloth. I'm assuming it's some sort of weird static problem and it doesn't happen all the time.

Yeah, my PSVita's touch screen was horrible, I dunno if it's always been like that but I noticed it for the first time when I was playing Tearaway, a game which relies heavily on the touch controls. I eventually decided to buy a new Vita. 

See, there's my problem, I sold my Vita for way more than it's worth, I got a ridiculously good deal on the new model that only put me out twenty bucks, I thought I was in the clear, and now this happens.

Nah man, I have a wallet case thing for my phone, other than that I've always been insanely against protectors and cases in general, I usually take good care of my stuff so all they do to me is make my several hundred dollar toy look like a 2 dollar knock off most of the time. See that case I had for my DS in the day.

I've had a few issues that you described (thinks I'm constantly pressing the top left corner) every now and then. I find it's usually sweat or oil from my fingers etc. and a quick tap of the power button to put it in sleep mode followed by a wipe down with a lint-free rag usually does the trick. Sometimes it takes a good clean to get it working 100% again, but I'm only having the problem about once a fortnight tops, so it's not a big deal.

I have that pretty well in spades, but instead of 14 days, it's every 14 hours. So far it screws up, I fix it, play it, put it down, do something else, then come back and it's doing it again.

A mystery's afoot. If the only common thread is the faulty screen and the person using the Vita, then I'd deduce that there's something that person is doing unknowingly in the way he's using it that's causing the problem. Who the hell knows though. My Vita causes a weird problem sometimes where if I'm using touch controls for a bit, then immediately switch to using my laptop's touchpad to look something up in a guide, the touchpad will stop working at all until I wipe my finger and the touchpad with a cloth. I'm assuming it's some sort of weird static problem and it doesn't happen all the time.

If it is me, awesome, I'd like to find out so I can stop doing whatever I'm doing, but I swear, I haven't even had this long enough to bugger it up.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies guys, at least most of you are having more luck than me. If nothing else, that gives me a bit of confidence that my next one may work better.

I have the original model and it sometimes happens, but... can I have a question?

Is this a continuous problem for you? Because it only happens to me when the Vita is on red or on the last green bar on battery.

Once I put charger, it starts working normally.

It could be the same for you. If the touch screen isn't powered correctly, it may glitch.

Ive gad no issue with my launch model - but i never tried to set it on fire....

LOL

See, there's my problem, I sold my Vita for way more than it's worth,

You sold it for infinity + 1 dollars?

• Like 1

I also always had the same problem with my Vita that some people described here. While in the middle of a game that requires touch, the screen just stops responding. Putting the Vita on sleep mode and turning it back on solves the problem. And, in my case, this has nothing to do with the battery level. The battery can be full and this still happens. Very annoying problem, but I still love my Vita. 

I have the original model and it sometimes happens, but... can I have a question?

Is this a continuous problem for you? Because it only happens to me when the Vita is on red or on the last green bar on battery.

Once I put charger, it starts working normally.

It could be the same for you. If the touch screen isn't powered correctly, it may glitch.

You sold it for infinity + 1 dollars?

It happened whenever it wanted to, I'd turn the thing off, charge it 100%, it would do it. I'd leave it for a week and come back to a half full battery, it'd do whatever it wanted. Battery (probably) isn't the issue here.

130, actually. EB said they'd give me around 60 for it, and I'm like "Yeah, I'll just hang onto it then" and they didn't even know it was broken. So then I went and did a whole bunch of price match and upgrading, long story, and got the new model for 150. A broken old Vita isn't worth anywhere near 130.

My Vita touchscreen still works relatively fine, however it does act strange at times. Basically I can be playing a game and sometimes the game itself may randomly stop recognizing touches until I exit to the Vita's homescreen, and once or twice during the whole time I owned it, the whole Vita itself stopped recognizing touches - however this is pretty rare and I fixed it just by restarting it.

Something that happens more often is when I guess the screen thinks it's being touched in a specific spot when there is nothing there and you just have to mess around with the screen for like 5 minutes touching various different areas pixel by pixel just to save the game and close it, then restart the Vita. This kind of thing happens more than I would like it to, but at the same time it's not constantly happening, just kind of a random thing that happens every now and then.

Edited by BlindMango