Let's Play SO4: Return of the Epic Quest

lol I like it. 

Awesome :D

Perfectly fine wit me dood, i added Dragon but hes being a meanie and not responding :P

Also i ave been really busy today and yesterday so i haven't played anything whatsoever towards SO4, i'm still on the second planet and im hoping to get properly started on Wednesday.

I haven't been played on the PS3 since a week or so. I'll accept it the next time I'll go online.

I'm going to be starting this in the next few days but before I start I wanted to ask what the main differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions are. I managed to borrow a copy of the Bradygames guide from a friend but I think it's mainly aimed at the Xbox version. I know that some recipes are slightly different and so are a few chests contents and locations but other than that is there anything else significantly different? 

• Like 1

I'm going to be starting this in the next few days but before I start I wanted to ask what the main differences between the Xbox and PS3 versions are. I managed to borrow a copy of the Bradygames guide from a friend but I think it's mainly aimed at the Xbox version. I know that some recipes are slightly different and so are a few chests contents and locations but other than that is there anything else significantly different? 

I've never played the Xbox version but from what I've heard, that's about right. I think they also changed the order of some of the priorities on equipment (like putting a +2 hit above an EXP+ priority), so you can't stack a whole bunch of good abilities via item syntheses. <_<

The only other stuff I can think of is there's only 1 disk (instead of 3), you can select Japanese voices instead of English, & you can choose between 3D & anime portraits in the settings.

I've never played the Xbox version but from what I've heard, that's about right. I think they also changed the order of some of the priorities on equipment (like putting a +2 hit above an EXP+ priority), so you can't stack a whole bunch of good abilities via item syntheses. <_<

The only other stuff I can think of is there's only 1 disk (instead of 3), you can select Japanese voices instead of English, & you can choose between 3D & anime portraits in the settings.

I'm not completely sure but I think there's a difference with a couple of treasure chests locations between versions.

Nice! What's your current BT progress with each character?

Edge: 82

Reimi: 50

Faize: 77

Lymle: 66

Bacchus: 50

Meracle: 84

Sarah: 50

Myuria: 84

Arumat: 87

I need to work on Reimi, Bacchus, & Sarah some more, I pretty much ignored them once I broke their level cap. :P

Okay, since I caught up on BioShock for now, I finally got to put SO into my PS3 and....here's the status of my game as it stands.

Currently playing on Galaxy difficulty.

Edge       LVL 40   BTs 41%

Reimi      LVL 31   BTs 24%

Faize      LVL 37   BTs 23%

Lymle     LVL 39   BTs 7%

Bacchus LVL 39   BTs 15%

Meracle  LVL 32   BTs  8%

That's basically all I can tell you, since I've never completed the game at all, and I can't fully remember what all I've crafted or whatever. I've probably messed up the first playthrough already somehow, but oh well. There's at least 2 more to go!

I'll probably end up actually playing tomorrow, as it's already fairly late here and I have class in the morning.

Edited by Styx2319

Was it hard? I'm worried about the difficulty related trophies D:

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, once I got a Monster Jewel & equipped an Ashley Jewel to my main attacker, things (surprisingly) got a lot easier. The playthrough ran about 30 hours (I skipped most of the cut-scenes), & I was able to take-out the final boss fairly easy too (only 3 deaths), but I was using a level 70 party, & my Arumat had around 6000-7000 ATK. :P

Although I can't speak for Chaos mode, as I haven't started that yet... what-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862525

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, once I got a Monster Jewel & equipped an Ashley Jewel to my main attacker, things (surprisingly) got a lot easier. The playthrough ran about 30 hours (I skipped most of the cut-scenes), & I was able to take-out the final boss fairly easy too (only 3 deaths), but I was using a level 70 party, & my Arumat had around 6000-7000 ATK. :P

Although I can't speak for Chaos mode, as I haven't started that yet... what-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862525

Does anything carry over to new playthroughs (except battle trophies) or do you start at lvl 1 with basic equipment again?

Damn  :shakefist: , beating Chaos difficulty just became a lot harder.

Was it hard? I'm worried about the difficulty related trophies D:

I wouldn't worry about Chaos difficulty. It's not really that bad once you have a lot of 100% monster data (specifically, Ashlay and Spriggan, most guides fail to mention Spriggan) and HP Boost. Those two things are the key. By then, you will be so used to the battle system that nothing the game throws at you will be surprising. My Chaos playthrough took 14 hours, but that included going for the endings, so it definitely could have been a lot faster.

I'll resume my journey once I complete Binary Star, so around Friday most likely. Unless I completely can't remember where I am, then I'm restarting :P

Nice, I'll probably start on Friday.

I wouldn't worry about Chaos difficulty. It's not really that bad once you have a lot of 100% monster data (specifically, Ashlay and Spriggan, most guides fail to mention Spriggan) and HP Boost. Those two things are the key. By then, you will be so used to the battle system that nothing the game throws at you will be surprising. My Chaos playthrough took 14 hours, but that included going for the endings, so it definitely could have been a lot faster.

Ok, that's good to know.

I started on my playthrough last night and after consulting with TheFInalEmblem (BTW, thanks for your advice in chat) about strategies, this will be the toughest Platinum I'll ever do (at least until I get cranking on Wipeout HD, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Vanquish, Catherine, MGS 4, MG Rising, and Gran Turismo 5 and....)

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way 100% the entire game in one playthrough for BT's. I will end up trying for the rest (private actions, data, items, etc.) in my first playthrough and try to focus on each character as they join in (I'm prepared for 100x of hours of walking around in the starting area).

Still I surprisingly like the story so far which I thought would be terrible. It doesn't feel any different from Star Trek (even down to the main theme!)

Edited by POEman553
  • Like 2

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a way 100% the entire game in one playthrough for BT's. I will end up trying for the rest (private actions, data, items, etc.) in my first playthrough and try to focus on each character as they join in (I'm prepared for 100x of hours of walking around in the starting area).

I'm still in the starting area! And I think I'll spend the next few hours there.

I've been telling myself over and over again: Slow and steady wins the race! :P

• Like 1

If it is not too late to jump on board the ship, I'd like to join you all on this journey (maybe stop at pit stop planet and pick me up).  I figured I'd save you the trouble, and just write an introduction for myself.

Michael, aka me3lingual, was brought on board three missions previously (First Departure, Second Evolution, Til the End of Time) due to his ability to grasp other languages quickly without the use of auto-translation devices.  However, shortly after liftoff each time, some sort of error would occur (electrical, mechanical, etc.) and cause the ship to turn back and abort the mission.  Now, Michael isn't as young as he used to be.  He volunteered for this mission thinking it will be his last opportunity to travel the universe before he hangs up his spacesuit and devotes his life to writing intergalactic translation books.

• Like 4

How many hours have you played already?

Only 6 hours. Haven't been able to play the last few days. I'm sort of mentally preparing for a mountain hike Friday. Btw I won't be on PSNP for a few days. I'll be back on Saturday.

EDIT: Actually I've been on Aeos for a little over 9 hours. 

Edited by Edunstar84

3 deaths? Level 70 party? Now I'm EXTREMELY  worried -_-