Games you disliked that everyone else likes

OnePieceDude

I'm going to throw RAGE in here;  I've heard a lot of people say this game was underrated but for me I found it mediocre at best.  I didn't find the story engaging and the ending was the worst - there are games out there which have similar qualities to RAGE, yet pull them off so much better.  I think my game experience was also marred by a number of glitches, particularly the co-op missions.

• Like 1

You do realize that by criticizing GTA for that you're saying an entire genre sucks? and that you're boiling down those games to the bare essentials ignoring the nuances that's in them. 

Why didn't you like The Line? if its gameplay I understand, its not the best, but the way they interwined it with the plot was amazing.

Spec Ops is a funny one for me, because I do recognise everything it did right and what it was trying to achieve. The game acts as a deconstruction of modern war games, but it is itself a modern war game. I understand the points it's putting across, and that its gameplay was designed in such a way to tie it with the overarching plot. I get all that, but even if it's done for the sake of art the gameplay is still pretty shite, and it's like you've to suffer the gameplay to get to the next story section or cutscene. 

As for the story, I thought it was very good - not the greatest story ever or anything, but certainly very, very good. Also, I admire the developers for telling a different type of story than we're used to in such games; it was an almost surefire way to lose sales. 

So, yeah, it's a funny game for me as I liked a lot of things it did, but ultimately I would have to say that I didn't particularly enjoy playing it. 

• Like 1

The GTA series. They were something I wasn't allowed to play when I was younger so I never got into the hype. I've played GTA IV on the 360 and watch my brother waste countless hours on GTA IV and V and I don't see the appeal. (He accidentally played IV on my account which is why I have a single trophy in the game on my PSN account.) I can also remember playing the PS2 games at friends' houses when I was younger and not allowed to play it and it just seemed boring.

Madden, 2KSports games, FIFA, and pretty much every other reality based sports games. I don't really like watching sports either because I can play them IRL. Video games, to me, are a way of doing things that you can't do IRL or seeing interesting stories unfold. Neither of these things happens in reality based sports games.

FEZ. I hated this game. The story was terrible and the ending/s didn't make finding half/every cube worth it. I had heard that the game had an amazing story and a great ending and I'm pretty sure whoever told me that was just a troll. I think ET is a better game than this game.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I didn't completely hate this game, but I disliked the changes from Melee, mainly the physics changes that took away wavedashing and air dodge controls. It's still an ok game, I just disliked the changes. I tend to dislike the game more than others like it, so I listed it here.

Minecraft. I don't like this game at all. I also don't really dislike it that much. It's just strange. Maybe I'm just too old or something. I don't get it. This video below shows how I feel when I play Minecraft.

LittleBigPlanet. It feels kinda like Minecraft to me. I dislike it for the same reason. I just don't get the point of it.

Games that just aren't to my tastes

Red Dead Redemption - probably should've seen this coming since it's basically GTA in a western setting

Ni No Kuni - was super stoked to play this cause I enjoy RPGs. Characters annoy me and the fact that I have to listen to Drippy telling me what to do on every single step of every single quest really irked me.

Okami - everyone talks about how beautiful it is, and that's true, but everything else about the game is mediocre. It's ok to play but I never once had any excitement to sit down and play it. Plus all the side characters suck ass... All of them. Ammy should just eat the lot of them. The music is pretty good but the horrific talking sounds made me play it with the volume off.

Borderlands 2 - the first one was ok, the 2nd one was exactly the same. I was probably just burned out after finishing #1 but I'm in no hurry to go back and find out.

Bayonetta - i really can't pinpoint what it is that I don't like, but every now and then I sit down to play it, do 2-3 hrs, and then I don't touch it for another 3 months.

Skyrim- I've already mentioned, multiple times, why I think this game is shit. The world is way too empty for it's size. 90% of the dungeons are the same thing, either Draugr or Bandit. The other 10% are unique, like the big Falmer one. The majority of the quests are "Go here, get item/kill an enemy, come back." It plays like a single player MMO. The combat is incredibly shallow, probably the worst I've experienced in an RPG. Melee just mashes R1 until things die. Magic just holds R1 until things die. Archer one hit kills everything because stealth is overpowered. All the shouts, aside from maybe one or 2 are useless. The "Role Playing" part of RPG is non existent. "Oh, you want to play as a brute melee character? Good luck leveling up unless you spend hours sneaking, pickpocketing, and making potions'. And then, last but not least, it's the countless glitches. Because Bethesda can't develop a game properly, and rely on the molding community to fix things themselves.

Uncharted- These games I just found boring. They are good games though. Well made, lots of attention to detail, real care went into them. But I've already watched Indiana Jones, and Uncharted is nothing but a poor clone when it comes to the story. That wouldn't be such a big problem, except that it's one of those "cinematic experiences" where you're supposed forget it's a game, and play for the story. Which makes for boring, repetitive, gameplay that's just trying to push you into the next cutscene.

Final Fantasy 13- I don't know if this really falls under the category, since people seem to split on it. But I'll list it anyway, since I only have 3 games on here. I've played almost every main FF (except the MMOs, and 12) and this is by far the worst. Lightning is the most boring protagonist in a game I've ever played. She tries too hard to be a 'silent badass' type, but just had no personality. They could've replaced her with a walking brick, and nothing would've changed. But she's not the only bad character in the game. Snow, Vanille, and especially Hope we're awful too. Either way too whiny or in Vanille's case, annoying. I know FF has had whiny protags before, but they usually evolve their character as the story progresses (like Tidus for example). But FF13's protags just stay whiny the whole game. The game would've been 10x better if it was Sazh and Fang on an adventure.

Then there's the gameplay, Which is just awful. Run down linear hallway, find monster, mash auto battle to win. The only time this didn't work was for boss enemies. Then it became, 'mash auto battle, switch to support/healing paradigm, mash auto battle, switch back to main paradigm, mash auto battle again'. The linearity wouldn't be a big problem, if they tried to hide it. Make some towns, or mini games, or more open looking areas like that one I can't remember the name of (had the giant turtle dino enemies). They did the worst possible thing, and set the majority of the game in linear ruins or literal hallways.

• Like 2

Ive never been able to find enjoyment in the Metal Gear games, despite all the critical and popular acclaim.

I also have never been able to get on board with Sonic games - even the ones people loved from the Genesis/Megadrive days.

• Like 2

I feel so sorry for you people who hate "The Last of Us". :D  I've been through a lot of bad experiences in my life, but I'm glad I was born, because I had the chance to play this superb game. When you play "The Last of Us", you understand everything there is to understand in life, everything just gets so clear...  :wub: (Sorry, I know I'm off-topic, but I just couldn't help it lol)

TLOU's story, characters, plot, etc. are superb but the game itself could have been so much better. I still love playing it though.

Back on topic: For me, I disliked Street Fighter x Tekken and Evolve. 

The Final Fantasy series and Skyrim

FF: I found FFX (which according to many is one of the best in the franchise) very boring. Same with FFXIII and XIII 2, I couldn't get myself to continue playing them. Maybe turn-based RPGs is not my thing, but again I'm enjoying Persona 4 a lot so....

Skyrim: a glitch fest with the most boring story and repetitive gameplay. What kept my playing was the community mod support on pc, but deleted the game later...  

Edited by Zestful Quesadilla
  • Like 1

Skyrim- I've already mentioned, multiple times, why I think this game is shit. The world is way too empty for it's size. 90% of the dungeons are the same thing, either Draugr or Bandit. The other 10% are unique, like the big Falmer one. The majority of the quests are "Go here, get item/kill an enemy, come back." It plays like a single player MMO. The combat is incredibly shallow, probably the worst I've experienced in an RPG. Melee just mashes R1 until things die. Magic just holds R1 until things die. Archer one hit kills everything because stealth is overpowered. All the shouts, aside from maybe one or 2 are useless. The "Role Playing" part of RPG is non existent. "Oh, you want to play as a brute melee character? Good luck leveling up unless you spend hours sneaking, pickpocketing, and making potions'. And then, last but not least, it's the countless glitches. Because Bethesda can't develop a game properly, and rely on the molding community to fix things themselves.

I love you so much. :P

• Like 1

Good god that guy is so wrong its almost asinine. I know subjective, opinion, etc but what he's doing, you can simplify every single thing in any game to make it look that way, lest we forget that the story and world completely flew over his head. Its a biased, unfair ''review'' if you even want to call it that.

Good god that guy is so wrong its almost asinine. I know subjective, opinion, etc but what he's doing, you can simplify every single thing in any game to make it look that way, lest we forget that the story and world completely flew over his head. Its a biased, unfair ''review'' if you even want to call it that.

you should watch till the end

I'm not sure about dislike but I do think these games are overrated a bit though

The Last of Us

Minecraft

Skyrim(but I'm not sure if it has something to do with the fact the game does kind of makes me feel sick if I play too long or not though, although I do want to finish the game at least it has dragons in it. That think I liked morrowind better)

Call of Duty

Dark Souls series & Bloodborne

Final Fantasy VII(I actually liked the Final Fantasy XIII Trilogy better and Final Fantasy IV on DS(think it was IV I had anyway)

Although out of those games I did actually like Dark Souls/Bloodborne and Demons souls

about what I can think of at the moment anyway.

• Like 2

FF: I found FFX (which according to many is one of the best in the franchise) very boring. Same with FFXIII and XIII 2, I couldn't get myself to continue playing them. Maybe turn-based RPGs is not my thing, but again I'm enjoying Persona 4 a lot so....

*staaaare* have you tried FF games before FFX  *cough* FF VI, FFIX and FFVII*cough*? wish you could give them a try... I also want to know who is this many that says FFX is the best in franchise...

anyway... 

Terraria and Minecraft and likes - after giving these 2 a little try.. I know in my heart that I couldn't bring myself like these games... maybe I just don't have lot of creativity and I just don't like the concept of these type of games...

Proteus - before buying this game, people says this is a relaxing game... so I bought it and I didn't even feel a tiny bit of relaxation after playing this game for a couple of hours... I might have expected it will be like thatgamecompany games...

Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD - this game taught me that I would not love all the PS+ games I will be getting every month... to be fair I might give this game and genre another shot... but probably not in the near future...

• Like 2