National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

6 hours ago, Zio_Sam87 said:

My Niners offense was sloppy but defense is for real... Maybe after so many down years it's time again to shine!

Kind of OT, but is there anyone who peaks quite as quickly as Jim Harbaugh? Comes to the Niners, leads them to the SB, and then they don't sniff success again. Goes to Michigan, takes them into the top 5 quickly, and now they look positively awful.

Anyway, I didn't get to watch much football yesterday, but what genius thought it was a good idea to run a draw on 4th and 9 for the Browns? I turned the game off after that, but did someone just lose count of the downs? Did they think the Rams accepted the earlier penalty, instead of forcing 3rd down? The boo birds come out a little too often in Cleveland, but this time, they were spot on.

That was a interesting Sunday night game, Cleveland showed signs of how much better they are but the Rams did enough to scrap away with the 7 point win and remain undefeated. Last night just showed how much Cooper Kupp was missed in super bowl, easily best receiver all game.

And for Vikings fans how about the huge roar when Carlson missed his fg, was probably loudest stadium got in there easy win over Oakland who yet again looked awful on road 

1 hour ago, Conker said:

And for Vikings fans how about the huge roar when Carlson missed his fg, was probably loudest stadium got in there easy win over Oakland who yet again looked awful on road 

Fans actually got louder for halftime ceremony honoring the 1969 NFL Championship Viking team (last one before AFL merger). HOFers Alan Page, Carl Eller, Paul Krause and 92-year-old Bud Grant all in attendance. It was pretty cool.

A few Week 3 observations:

- watched the Sunday night game. CLE is so undisciplined, they are nowhere near a threat in the AFC. Four illegal shift penalties?!? Rams fans better hope they get home-field advantage bc Goff's road woes continue. He was going up against a waiver wire secondary and should have carved them up. And Gurley's heavy lifting early in his career might have taken too heavy a toll on his body. Pretty sure Baker Mayfield had nightmares last night that involved Aaron Donald.

- I'm becoming more of a believer in the Lions and 49ers. Sounds like the Eagles shot themselves in the foot but always impressive to get a Philly road win. Never expected PIT to be 0-3. Maybe this season will be the Year of the Suck for the Steelers and thay can draft Big Ben's heir. 

- Pete Carroll always had an eye for skill player talent at USC, but somehow his Seattle team is lacking in that department (WRs and RBs). Sunday, it looked like the entire offense revolved around Russell Wilson ad-libbing (which, of course, usually ends up in spectacular plays). Wilson did throw 

for over 400 yards, and Lockett caught 11 balls, but a huge chunk of that was in the 4th quarter vs. a prevent D. Prior to that, they couldn't move the ball without Wilson doing his magic routine. 

Sadly, Teddy still doesn't look to be the same QB post-injury. He looks tentative and a split second too slow in decision-making. Luckily for him, he can just keep handing off and dumping short passes to Kamara, who seems to make a couple guys miss tackles on nearly every play.

- Vikings better continue to get early victories bc their road games in Nov. and Dec. are at Kansas City, and night road games vs. Dallas, Seattle and LA Chargers. And we all know how Kurt performs in the spotlight. ?

- Battle of undefeateds in Buffalo next week - who woulda guessed that?!?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

Kind of OT, but is there anyone who peaks quite as quickly as Jim Harbaugh? Comes to the Niners, leads them to the SB, and then they don't sniff success again. Goes to Michigan, takes them into the top 5 quickly, and now they look positively awful.

Anyway, I didn't get to watch much football yesterday, but what genius thought it was a good idea to run a draw on 4th and 9 for the Browns? I turned the game off after that, but did someone just lose count of the downs? Did they think the Rams accepted the earlier penalty, instead of forcing 3rd down? The boo birds come out a little too often in Cleveland, but this time, they were spot on.

Michigan hiring Harbaugh was a mistake and Saturday reinforced just how big of a mistake it was. Sad thing is he'll probably start Patterson for the next game again anyway

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, majob said:

Michigan hiring Harbaugh was a mistake and Saturday reinforced just how big of a mistake it was. Sad thing is he'll probably start Patterson for the next game again anyway

Michigan hiring Jim Harbaugh might have been a mistake.  But Wisconsin won that game because they were a good team that executed their game plan to a "T" and deserved to win.  Don't take anything away from the beatdown the Badgers inflicted on the Wolverines because Wisconsin has been punching teams in the face in the exact same way ever since Barry Alvarez arrived.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PerryToxteth said:

- Pete Carroll always had an eye for skill player talent at USC, but somehow his Seattle team is lacking in that department (WRs and RBs). S

Yes and no. Certainly, Carroll's players were very successful at USC, but a lot of them just failed to pan out in the NFL. I know that's not a fair criticism of RBs, since they flame out fast, anyway, but a lot of his receivers from USC just have not lit it up in the NFL. He's even tried to pull one or two over (Mike Williams comes to mind), but it just hasn't panned out.

In this regard, he reminds me a lot of Steve Spurrier. Steve Spurrier's QBs were just made for Florida, but put them in the NFL, and it's a whole bunch of fail for them.

8 minutes ago, acasser said:

Michigan hiring Jim Harbaugh might have been a mistake.  But Wisconsin won that game because they were a good team that executed their game plan to a "T" and deserved to win.  Don't take anything away from the beatdown the Badgers inflicted on the Wolverines because Wisconsin has been punching teams in the face in the exact same way ever since Barry Alvarez arrived.

Well, they punch teams in the face early, but tend to get punched in the face late. They haven't won the Big 10 for some time (maybe since Bielema left?), and last season should give anyone pause before crowning the Badgers this year. That being said, they looked good on Saturday, and have been solid all season. They should be favored every week except for tOSU (though having to play Iowa immediately following that game is definitely an uh oh alert - it's good they have a week off).

Edited by starcrunch061

Harbaugh is a step up from Brady Hoke or Rich Rod though.

The problem for Michigan though is while they have been pretty good, Ohio State has been great and continues to own that series (and the national spotlight).  

Sort of like Auburn trying to compete with Alabama these days, the one Cam Newton year a saving grace from being totally dominated in the college football landscape.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Oh I know and believe me I expected Wisconsin to win but that thrashing and Harbaugh's insistence with keeping that joke of a qb in the game is what made me mad, not the loss.

8 hours ago, Conker said:

Cook's footwork is unreal. I'm having flashes back to AP in his prime. If he can stay healthy this year, and if Kirk can keep the boneheaded decisions to a minimum, they could do some serious damage. Like @PerryToxteth said, though, there are some tough tests at the end of the season. I'm hoping the extra day to prepare is enough to sneak a win over the Bears.

How about the undefeated Lions, though? ?

2 hours ago, Conker said:

After seeing the list of other guys they worked out, I'm fine with this. He has suspect hands but is a good blocker downfield with his size. Sad to see Chad Beebe (Don's kid) be out with a bad injury. He was decent as a PR.

- In regards to last night, I feel the WAS staff's game plan failed Case Keenum. When he was with the Vikes, Keenum worked best on bootlegs and getting him in space. The Skins however, kept him in the pocket, which the Bears gleefully mauled.  Keenum certainly made some poor decisions on his own (INT and reach fumble on first-down), but the coaching staff didn't do him any favors by ignoring his strengths. 

It also appears the Bears don't have a running game, which makes the Howard trade all that more perplexing. 

17 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

After seeing the list of other guys they worked out, I'm fine with this. He has suspect hands but is a good blocker downfield with his size. Sad to see Chad Beebe (Don's kid) be out with a bad injury. He was decent as a PR.

- In regards to last night, I feel the WAS staff's game plan failed Case Keenum. When he was with the Vikes, Keenum worked best on bootlegs and getting him in space. The Skins however, kept him in the pocket, which the Bears gleefully mauled.  Keenum certainly made some poor decisions on his own (INT and reach fumble on first-down), but the coaching staff didn't do him any favors by ignoring his strengths. 

It also appears the Bears don't have a running game, which makes the Howard trade all that more perplexing. 

Yeah there running game was really average, they must really believe the player they drafted can do it and  not like the Eagles are using Howard lots. As  i said months ago why do this trade Chicago 

and i hope for your sake Treadwell can produce so good form and no drops

30 minutes ago, PerryToxteth said:

I'll give Nagy the benefit of the doubt since yesterday's game plan seemed to focus on getting Trubusky confidence and in rhythm against a bad defense, but part of me wonders if he just doesn't like using running backs like that. Hopefully they can get something going though, because the lack of a real run game and not getting longer drives has left the Bears defense seemingly gassed by the fourth quarter in the last two games. Doesn't help either that Trubisky seems to play better at a faster pace, which means more time on the field for the D.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SnakeonaBoat said:

I'll give Nagy the benefit of the doubt since yesterday's game plan seemed to focus on getting Trubusky confidence and in rhythm against a bad defense, but part of me wonders if he just doesn't like using running backs like that. Hopefully they can get something going though, because the lack of a real run game and not getting longer drives has left the Bears defense seemingly gassed by the fourth quarter in the last two games. Doesn't help either that Trubisky seems to play better at a faster pace, which means more time on the field for the D.

For as much as Nagy gets credited as an "offensive genius," through three games of work, he has the Bears' offense last in the NFC. That can't all be blamed on Trubisky, as often it appears the scheme is overly complicated. Maybe the acronym KISS would help.

Spoiler

Keep it simple, stupid! :P

- Also, a bit of trivia, who was the last team to score an offensive TD vs. the New England Patriots? 

Spoiler

Kansas City, in last year's AFC Championship. 

- And one more tidbit, NFC is 12-3 vs. AFC this year. 

Edited by PerryToxteth