National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

3 hours ago, Avatar_Of_Battle said:

Pretty meh game, but I had the Titans as winning this one when talking to someone today. Surprised at the outcome.

yeah, Minshew played decent, maybe Foles getting inured was a blessing in disguise,Jags defense was really good, the Titans offense was awful. 

Now that roughing the passer penalty in 2nd qtr what a fucking joke, perfect technique and still a flag, is tackling the qb still even aloud??/

Edited by Conker

17 minutes ago, Yuna4353 said:

The QB curse has struck again, Cam Newton is out for Sunday, what a shame 

What is that, 6 teams now on backups? What a rollercoaster season and we're only in week 3

Not really a surprise though, when news of Cam missing practice came out, it was pretty much assured that he'd be out

Edited by majob

8 minutes ago, majob said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/antonio-brown-released-patriots-appreciate-the-hard-work-but-feel-it-is-best-to-move-on/amp/

Its probably safe to say his NFL career is most likely over. No one is going to want to touch him now

Everyone loves a redemption story.  He may be back in a year when much of this blows over.  

Remember the outrage to Peterson (child abuse), Hardy (violent domestic abuse), Michael Vick (torturing and killing dogs), etc, etc.  All gets forgotten/forgiven in the next news cycle.

21 minutes ago, kidson2004 said:

What a crazy story line about AB. Career could be over; but I doubt it. 

Madden curse continues!  

Edited by djb5f
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, kidson2004 said:

What a crazy story line about AB. Career could be over; but I doubt it. 

1 hour ago, broy300 said:

I hope no GM ever takes another risk on that douchebag.

Teams will wait for this whole quasi-criminal process to play out and then re-assess.  If Antonio Brown gets cleared, or even if he just gets slapped with a lesser NFL suspension, it wouldn't be shocking to see somebody take a chance on him.  Because "talented but" gets a lot of additional chances in a league that is talent-starved.

Look at all the other guys who have gotten additional chances even after they've been whacked for crappy stuff.  For example, Kareem Hunt in Kansas City.  And look at all the divas who have gotten second chance after second chance just because they're talented, even if it meant lesser paychecks and a vagabond existence.

So I wouldn't count Antonio Brown out just yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, acasser said:

Teams will wait for this whole quasi-criminal process to play out and then re-assess.  If Antonio Brown gets cleared, or even if he just gets slapped with a lesser NFL suspension, it wouldn't be shocking to see somebody take a chance on him.  Because "talented but" gets a lot of additional chances in a league that is talent-starved.

Look at all the other guys who have gotten additional chances even after they've been whacked for crappy stuff.  For example, Kareem Hunt in Kansas City.  And look at all the divas who have gotten second chance after second chance just because they're talented, even if it meant lesser paychecks and a vagabond existence.

The difference is in those instances they were not trying to torpedo the team. Once a player losses the locker room, forget it. He might be completely innocent, but his pedigree of "me me" has wiped that chance out. Pittsburgh look like geniuses for getting 2 picks. If the Patriots (or Settle) don't want him, he is as good as one foot out the door, Too much drama and not enough leadership to put up with his weekly bullshit

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Antonio Brown is a piece of shit. Threaten a woman by text message and get her kids involved. Say what you want about his accuser. The kids did nothing wrong! Psycho fucker!

I draw a thin line between what people tend to overreact over and what people need to be disciplined on, but this is completely wrong.

Don't let this guy have kids.

The worst thing about him? He's the exact same age as me.

10 hours ago, djb5f said:

Everyone loves a redemption story.  He may be back in a year when much of this blows over.  

Remember the outrage to Peterson (child abuse), Hardy (violent domestic abuse), Michael Vick (torturing and killing dogs), etc, etc.  All gets forgotten/forgiven in the next news cycle.

Don't forget Floyd Mayweather Jr. Definitely goes beyond the NFL.

But instead of giving these assholes proper punishment they'll just slap them on the wrist and pretend their actions were far into the past and that they've changed as human beings.

If more of these athletes were given the Lance Armstrong treatment maybe they would be taught something. But they won't do that.

Edited by Spaz

6 hours ago, acasser said:

If the public decides that Antonio Brown is a rapist, regardless of the quasi-criminal process, then his career is toast. I'm not counting him out.......yet.

50 minutes ago, MidnightDragon said:

Antonio Brown is a piece of shit. Threaten a woman by text message and get her kids involved. Say what you want about his accuser. The kids did nothing wrong! Psycho fucker!

The sad part of it is that in his own mind he is the victim.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

If the public decides that Antonio Brown is a rapist, regardless of the quasi-criminal process, then his career is toast. I'm not counting him out.......yet.

This is very unfortunate especially if this guy worked really hard to make it to the NFL. Just getting to the NFL in the first place is an accomplishment because you have proven to be a good athlete and player, even if you are a second lineman.

But in this age where many athletes in the past have committed crimes and gotten slap on the wrists, having the public decide that you are a rapist or child molester leaves an ugly stain that probably won't ever get removed.

5 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

The sad part of it is that in his own mind he is the victim.

Nothing all that new. I just hope that this time around the media isn't going to forget about his actions by the next news cycle.

Edited by Spaz

The sad part is that I was somewhat in Brown's corner with the accusations until he pulled this stunt. That's some Olympic level stupidity to contact a woman with a pending suit against you and to include her kids in it as well of all things. Even if he gets acquitted in civil court, his reputation is toast. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PermaFox said:

Hearing about his release made my day.  Finally, the NFL actually did something.

The NFL didn't do diddly squat.  They haven't put him on the Exempt List; in fact, the NFL can't put him there unless he's signed with a team and on their roster.

The League Office is (allegedly) investigating, and there's room for them to suspend him if they feel it's warranted, but they haven't actually done anything.  Yet.

16 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

Endorsement deals?  Almost certainly.  But I've seen far too many sports teams in recent years "take a chance" on guys who have done all sorts of awful things because talent frequently trumps all sorts of other things.  It might be a public relations fiasco for the team that does so.  But that doesn't stop everybody, and some GM will argue that Antonio Brown hasn't been charged or convicted in a Court of Law and therefore deserves "the benefit of the doubt".

19 hours ago, broy300 said:

The difference is in those instances they were not trying to torpedo the team. Once a player losses the locker room, forget it. He might be completely innocent, but his pedigree of "me me" has wiped that chance out. Pittsburgh look like geniuses for getting 2 picks. If the Patriots (or Settle) don't want him, he is as good as one foot out the door, Too much drama and not enough leadership to put up with his weekly bullshit

Terrell Owens says hello.  Played for three different teams and for many seasons after he did everything in his power to throw Donovan McNabb under the bus.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and guarantee that Antonio Brown is going to get another chance.  But I'm far from convinced that he's completely done and this release from the Patriots is the final chapter in his NFL story.

31 minutes ago, acasser said:

The NFL didn't do diddly squat.  They haven't put him on the Exempt List; in fact, the NFL can't put him there unless he's signed with a team and on their roster.

The League Office is (allegedly) investigating, and there's room for them to suspend him if they feel it's warranted, but they haven't actually done anything.  Yet.

Endorsement deals?  Almost certainly.  But I've seen far too many sports teams in recent years "take a chance" on guys who have done all sorts of awful things because talent frequently trumps all sorts of other things.  It might be a public relations fiasco for the team that does so.  But that doesn't stop everybody, and some GM will argue that Antonio Brown hasn't been charged or convicted in a Court of Law and therefore deserves "the benefit of the doubt".

Terrell Owens says hello.  Played for three different teams and for many seasons after he did everything in his power to throw Donovan McNabb under the bus.

I'm not going to go out on a limb and guarantee that Antonio Brown is going to get another chance.  But I'm far from convinced that he's completely done and this release from the Patriots is the final chapter in his NFL story.

The public relations fiasco would not be just for the team that takes a chance on him but for the entire NFL. It might just become a political thing for SJWs. Right on par with the whole Colin Kaepernick thing. The NFL just loved that. (NOT!)

He's just too hot to handle. I'm guessing that owners understand their mutual interest in making sure that he does not become a social justice problem. In other words, he'll get "Kaepernicked".

It's one thing to beat your wife or throw your teammates under the bus; sexual assault and child abuse take it to another, irredeemable level.

47 minutes ago, PsychicVibe said:

The public relations fiasco would not be just for the team that takes a chance on him but for the entire NFL. It might just become a political thing for SJWs. Right on par with the whole Colin Kaepernick thing. The NFL just loved that. (NOT!)

All the old guys who saw him do his kneeling stunt during the National Anthem just automatically assumed he doesn't like America that much and that he's unpatriotic. Donald Trump just sided with all the morons who felt he should be punished, reprimanded and disciplined for his act. Then he said he'd love Colin Kaepernick to come back to the NFL on one condition.

The media loves when a celebrity/star athlete gets in hot water. Much like Michael Vick with his shit with dogs, Lance Armstrong lying about blood doping and later having his Tour de France titles stripped, Alex Rodriguez lying about his consumption of steroids and getting suspended for over an entire year, Floyd Mayweather Jr hitting on his ex-girlfriend, so on and so forth.

Antonio Brown is just another guy who got in trouble. I don't side with the SJWs since I despise their practice. But this is the world we live in. It takes a celebrity or a star athlete to get the media rolling like they've already done with Brown.

Talent does trump all 'sorts of things'. Because otherwise Floyd Mayweather Jr wouldn't of gotten a slap on the wrist and the Michael Vick crap that went on for so long would of petered out a lot quicker.

Edited by Spaz

12 hours ago, PsychicVibe said:

It's one thing to beat your wife or throw your teammates under the bus; sexual assault and child abuse take it to another, irredeemable level.

Wasn't Adrian Peterson effectively suspended for a year for "child abuse"?

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Wasn't Adrian Peterson effectively suspended for a year for "child abuse"?

Point well taken. According to Roger Goodell, he received his suspension only because he showed "no meaningful remorse."

And what's worse, he admits he still uses a belt to discipline his children when other avenues don’t work, but states "nine out of 10 times he doesn’t". SMH.

Yeah, I was wrong. Apparently you can be a wife beater and child abuser, suffer a minor penalty, and return to the NFL while admitting continuing the abusive behavior.

Seems like more 3-0 and 0-3 teams that usual at this point.  Less parity than normal.

is it too early to give the Cowboys the NFC East?  3-0 and already a 2 game lead, but not a single win against a team that has a win.  (Giants and Skins yet to play this week).