National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

The Jets confirmed they fear Rodgers has an Achilles injury. If so, his career is likely done. He’s almost 40. Not much chance of coming back from that.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-aaron-rodgers-ankle-questionable-to-return-to-monday-s-game-against-bill

Maybe he should’ve gone with his first instinct and retired.

11 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I feel for the Jets faithful. I really do. Has an electric ever shut off more quickly?

History doesn't repeat itself, but it frequently rhymes.

This has echoes of 1999, when the Jets came into the season amongst the Super Bowl favorites after making the AFC Championship Game the previous year and seeing two-time defending champion Denver lose their starting QB (John Elway / retirement) in the off-season.  Only for the Jets to eschew ABC's request to start on Monday Night Football because they didn't want to open on the road for the umpteenth consecutive season -- that game would have been in Denver -- so they could start the season at home.... and for Vinny Testaverde to rupture his Achilles tendon on the first play of the second quarter.  Next thing you know, the Jets were 1-6 under Rick Mirer and Bill Parcells was ready to retire from coaching.

This also has echoes of 2008, when the Jets traded for Brett Favre and started 8-3.  Only for Favre to get hurt -- not admit it and play through it -- for the team to collapse, and for everybody to get broomed that off-season.

10 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Why is Allen sucking so bad tonight?!

The Jets are in Josh Allen's head to some degree.  Last night wasn't as much of an aberration as a lot of people would have you believe; not only is Josh Allen a turnover machine when you look at the cold statistics (most in the NFL since he entered the League), but the Jets have his number better than pretty much any other defense.

It’s official: Rodgers is done for the year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-aaron-rodgers-suffered-torn-achilles-will-miss-remainder-of-season

I bet there’s a very good chance he’s not playing again. He should’ve just retired like he originally wanted to.

This happens way too much…an older player pushes the envelope too far and it kicks them in the face.

Edited by MidnightDragon

1 hour ago, MidnightDragon said:

It’s official: Rodgers is done for the year.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-aaron-rodgers-suffered-torn-achilles-will-miss-remainder-of-season

I bet there’s a very good chance he’s not playing again. He should’ve just retired like he originally wanted to.

This happens way too much…an older player pushes the envelope too far and it kicks them in the face.

I mean, Manning ended up with a happy ending...but he was absolutely falling apart at the end of his career. I was stunned he could put it together for that playoff run in his final year (and even then, he ran out of gas in the Super Bowl).

Manning and Brady flipped the script, but in the past, no one won off of another team's QB. Even Montana couldn't get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. 

I don't love Rodgers, but even I have a bit of pity for him. A great QB deserves better at the end of his career, even if he is an asshole.

3 hours ago, acasser said:

This has echoes of 1999, when the Jets came into the season amongst the Super Bowl favorites after making the AFC Championship Game the previous year and seeing two-time defending champion Denver lose their starting QB (John Elway / retirement) in the off-season.  Only for the Jets to eschew ABC's request to start on Monday Night Football because they didn't want to open on the road for the umpteenth consecutive season -- that game would have been in Denver -- so they could start the season at home.... and for Vinny Testaverde to rupture his Achilles tendon on the first play of the second quarter.  Next thing you know, the Jets were 1-6 under Rick Mirer and Bill Parcells was ready to retire from coaching.

So much craziness that year.

I had completely forgotten about Rick Mirer, however. Yet another ND QB who was supposed to be the second coming of Montana.

Edited by starcrunch061

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I mean, Manning ended up with a happy ending...but he was absolutely falling apart at the end of his career. I was stunned he could put it together for that playoff run in his final year (and even then, he ran out of gas in the Super Bowl).

Manning and Brady flipped the script, but in the past, no one won off of another team's QB. Even Montana couldn't get the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. 

I don't love Rodgers, but even I have a bit of pity for him. A great QB deserves better at the end of his career, even if he is an asshole.

Brett Favre was also a great QB, but ended his career concussed on a frozen field in Minnesota. It does happen sadly. I’m not a big fan of Rodgers, but it is a shame it’s likely ended that way.

Edited by MidnightDragon

8 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I had completely forgotten about Rick Mirer, however. Yet another ND QB who was supposed to be the second coming of Montana.

The "Testaverde got hurt" game was a little extra goofy.  Rick Mirer wasn't actually dressed as the backup that day; Bill Parcells had a tendency to make his "real backup" the QB-3 and use punter Tom Tupa as his defined QB-2 in those days as to squeeze out an extra roster spot.  So it was Tupa who came in when Vinny went down and tossed TD passes to Fred Baxter and Keyshawn Johnson and had the Jets with the lead in the 4th quarter.... only for Mirer to emerge in the 4th quarter when the rules about using the "emergency" quarterback relaxed in those days and for Mirer to promptly throw a couple of picks and blow the game.

And that's your history lesson for the day....

Now I'm sure every idiot "football writer" has penned an article about what the Jets ought to do in response to the Rodgers injury.  And I know all the usual morons on Twitter-or-whatever-it-is-called-now have chimed in with their opinions, some of them involving guys who haven't been on an NFL roster since Barack Obama was still president.

Keeping in mind things like the salary cap?  Here's my mildly-goofy idea:  The Jets ought to trade for Kirk Cousins.  Probably not immediately, because Minnesota isn't ready to wave the white flag, but Minnesota's has to face both of last season's Super Bowl teams in the next month and could dig themselves into a hole pretty quickly.  If my research and recall is correct, Cousins' deal voids after this year making him a UFA, so there's another reason the Vikings might consider trading him and seeing what the backups on their roster have.

There'd have to be a little bit of maneuvering somewhere to make the cap math work, because the salary on Cousins' deal for this season is slightly larger than the Jets' current cap space (per overthecap.com), but it's not a ridiculously large amount that's impossible to maneuver around.

15 hours ago, acasser said:

The "Testaverde got hurt" game was a little extra goofy.  Rick Mirer wasn't actually dressed as the backup that day; Bill Parcells had a tendency to make his "real backup" the QB-3 and use punter Tom Tupa as his defined QB-2 in those days as to squeeze out an extra roster spot.  So it was Tupa who came in when Vinny went down and tossed TD passes to Fred Baxter and Keyshawn Johnson and had the Jets with the lead in the 4th quarter.... only for Mirer to emerge in the 4th quarter when the rules about using the "emergency" quarterback relaxed in those days and for Mirer to promptly throw a couple of picks and blow the game.

And that's your history lesson for the day....

Now I'm sure every idiot "football writer" has penned an article about what the Jets ought to do in response to the Rodgers injury.  And I know all the usual morons on Twitter-or-whatever-it-is-called-now have chimed in with their opinions, some of them involving guys who haven't been on an NFL roster since Barack Obama was still president.

Keeping in mind things like the salary cap?  Here's my mildly-goofy idea:  The Jets ought to trade for Kirk Cousins.  Probably not immediately, because Minnesota isn't ready to wave the white flag, but Minnesota's has to face both of last season's Super Bowl teams in the next month and could dig themselves into a hole pretty quickly.  If my research and recall is correct, Cousins' deal voids after this year making him a UFA, so there's another reason the Vikings might consider trading him and seeing what the backups on their roster have.

There'd have to be a little bit of maneuvering somewhere to make the cap math work, because the salary on Cousins' deal for this season is slightly larger than the Jets' current cap space (per overthecap.com), but it's not a ridiculously large amount that's impossible to maneuver around.

This is a very interesting post. I've never been a Cousins fan, though I think he took some undue criticism on Sunday (yes - he did contribute turnovers, but for that interception at the end zone, his receiver was an absolute wuss).

On 9/12/2023 at 7:52 PM, acasser said:

This is not as cockamamie as it initially sounds. The newish GM for the Vikings is off to a disastrous start. His first draft class consists of:

- first rounder Lewis Cine, who doesn’t touch the field even in Brian Flores’ new three safety defensive look

- second rounder Ed Ingram, who has been rated as the worst starting interior lineman in the NFL. Last week, he somehow punched the ball out of Cousins’ hand for a fumble.

- third round Brian Asamoah, who just got beat out by an undrafted rookie for the starting MLB job.

- CB Andrew Booth, who got beat out by gas station free agents in the offseason.

- he also traded down picks within the division.

And, to top it all off, he didn’t get Justin Jefferson a new contract in the offseason. What? Do you suddenly think he’ll be cheaper after this season?!? He is the face of the franchise, hell - he’s a national commodity for the NFL, why wouldn’t you do what it takes to lock him up???

Cousins has never felt the love by the organization either. Prior coach didn’t want him, and fans tend to overblame him. He keeps getting short-end deals to stick with team. Do fans not remember when we had to Dollar Store shop for QB’s like Jim McMahon, Donovan McNabb and Sam Bradford?

With our new GM, it would probably cost two seventh-rounders to get Cousins. :facepalm:

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

Rodgers is fucking delusional if he thinks he’ll come back from an Achilles tear at 40. He needs to lay off the drugs. https://www.nfl.com/news/aaron-rodgers-heartbroken-after-season-ending-achilles-injury-vows-return-i-shal

I find it laughable for people to blame the turf. Do NFL players drop with Achilles tears every week playing on turf? Or could it be a 40-year-old geezer going down with an injury?
This summer, I just watched my pickleball partner hit the deck with an Achilles tear. All he did was take a step to the ball. It’s not the turf, it’s the age bracket.
PSA - please stretch before any exercise for anyone in my age group - let’s call ourselves the NES generation. 

11 hours ago, PerryToxteth said:

I find it laughable for people to blame the turf. Do NFL players drop with Achilles tears every week playing on turf? Or could it be a 40-year-old geezer going down with an injury?

To be fair, the turf over in East Rutherford has had very poor reviews for a very long time now.  From a lot of different teams and players, no less.  Wasn't it just a few seasons back when the San Francisco 49ers played the Giants and Jets back-to-back early in the season and lost something like five separate players to season-ending injuries during that span?

Personally?  I'm inclined to lay the lion's share of the blame on the craptacular Jets offensive line, particularly the two tackles.  With some residual blame on Aaron Rodgers for holding onto the ball too long, on Nathaniel Hackett for his playcalling, and the rest on "shit happens" -- i.e., "bad luck".  It's probably really just one of those freak things that can happen at any time to any NFL player given the nature of the sport.  The lousy field conditions don't help, but I don't believe they're to blame other than being an easy target incapable of speaking up in its own defense.

24 minutes ago, acasser said:

To be fair, the turf over in East Rutherford has had very poor reviews for a very long time now.  From a lot of different teams and players, no less.  Wasn't it just a few seasons back when the San Francisco 49ers played the Giants and Jets back-to-back early in the season and lost something like five separate players to season-ending injuries during that span?

Personally?  I'm inclined to lay the lion's share of the blame on the craptacular Jets offensive line, particularly the two tackles.  With some residual blame on Aaron Rodgers for holding onto the ball too long, on Nathaniel Hackett for his playcalling, and the rest on "shit happens" -- i.e., "bad luck".  It's probably really just one of those freak things that can happen at any time to any NFL player given the nature of the sport.  The lousy field conditions don't help, but I don't believe they're to blame other than being an easy target incapable of speaking up in its own defense.

Yes, it’s special type of turf called “slit-film” turf that has been the worst as far as lower leg injuries.  This is found at 6 stadiums including the Giants/Jets, Lions, Vikings, Saints, Colts, and Bengals.

Rodgers’ age and pre-existing calf injury also factor into it.  Many factors at play.

https://nflpa.com/posts/nfl-player-health-safety-lies-beneath-the-surface

On 9/15/2023 at 3:41 AM, acasser said:

Correct. A season wasted thanks to that crappy stadium in week 2&3.

2 Complete collapses today

Cardinals lead Giants by 21 only to lose on a late field goal, maybe not the worse loss
Broncos lead 21-3 and driving and lost 35-33 and fall to 0-2, Same old Broncos?

Some concerning 0-2 teams?
Bengals who at times looked awful on offense
Chargers who really should be better then that, cue the Staley hot seat

And Maybe NFC South isn't a Dumpster fire we thought it be, Falcons and Bucs 2-0 and depending on tomorrow night could have Saints 2-0 or 2 teams 1-1

10 hours ago, djb5f said:

NFC East possibly the best division like the old days?  Current record is 7-1.  Only loss was the Giants in division to the Cowboys, 40-0.

I don’t think the Giants or Commanders are any good but…

Same as South I think, it's going to change as soon as divisional games increase... Only DAL and PHI are legit.

And as always, Beat L.A.!