National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

11 hours ago, djb5f said:

NFC East possibly the best division like the old days?  Current record is 7-1.  Only loss was the Giants in division to the Cowboys, 40-0.

I don’t think the Giants or Commanders are any good but…

Who have any of them beaten that's any good at all?

Dallas beat the Giants, who suck.  And beat the Jets, who also aren't very good because they don't have a quarterback or an offensive line.

Philadelphia beat New England, who isn't very good.  And then they beat Minnesota, who was a paper tiger last season and didn't improve this year.

Washington beat Arizona, who might be the worst team in football.  And they held on to beat Denver, who probably isn't very good themselves.

The Giants got smeared by Dallas.  And then they had to unleash a team-record comeback to beat Arizona (see above).

That record is going to come falling abck to earth as soon as the schedule gets more difficult.  Like when those teams get to play Buffalo and Miami and San Francisco.

55 minutes ago, acasser said:

Who have any of them beaten that's any good at all?

Dallas beat the Giants, who suck.  And beat the Jets, who also aren't very good because they don't have a quarterback or an offensive line.

Philadelphia beat New England, who isn't very good.  And then they beat Minnesota, who was a paper tiger last season and didn't improve this year.

Washington beat Arizona, who might be the worst team in football.  And they held on to beat Denver, who probably isn't very good themselves.

The Giants got smeared by Dallas.  And then they had to unleash a team-record comeback to beat Arizona (see above).

That record is going to come falling abck to earth as soon as the schedule gets more difficult.  Like when those teams get to play Buffalo and Miami and San Francisco.

I know the Giants and Commanders aren’t good lol.

But you can’t have it both ways and call Buffalo good who lost to those same Jets that the Cowboys just destroyed.  And you call Miami good who barely beat New England who you just said isn’t very good.

Holy crap, there were still 9 undefeated teams when this week began, and with two of them still to play each other tomorrow night, there's only 4 remaining (so 3 when the week is over).  A lot of those teams should have won - at least on paper.  I mean, Dallas, come on... what?!  The score made it look worse than it was, but losing to the hapless Cards?  Wow.  Their secondary made the Cards look like rockstars today.  But so many 2-0 teams dropped the ball.  Not that I was expecting anyone to make it to 17-0 this season, but I figured we'd still have more than 3 at this point.  I personally think the Eagles will win tomorrow, but either way, I have doubts they (or TB) and Miami can last more than another few weeks without losing.  Niners have a massive test in Dallas in 2 weeks, but at least they don't play them next week.  How mad is that team right now?  I would not want to be the Pats on the road next week.

13 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Holy crap, there were still 9 undefeated teams when this week began, and with two of them still to play each other tomorrow night, there's only 4 remaining (so 3 when the week is over).  A lot of those teams should have won - at least on paper.  I mean, Dallas, come on... what?!  The score made it look worse than it was, but losing to the hapless Cards?  Wow.  Their secondary made the Cards look like rockstars today.  But so many 2-0 teams dropped the ball.  Not that I was expecting anyone to make it to 17-0 this season, but I figured we'd still have more than 3 at this point.  I personally think the Eagles will win tomorrow, but either way, I have doubts they (or TB) and Miami can last more than another few weeks without losing.  Niners have a massive test in Dallas in 2 weeks, but at least they don't play them next week.  How mad is that team right now?  I would not want to be the Pats on the road next week.

Cowboys will have to adapt to losing Diggs for the season, perhaps the best cornerback in the league or at least very much in the conversation.  Came out flat today.  Missing 3 starting OL today was a mess but hopefully that won’t be long-term.  I think the Cowboys/Patriots will be pretty close.  

Elsewhere, the Jets may be looking at Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz after all.  

And the Dolphins just scored again.  

Dallas lost that game because of 2 things:  1) They couldn’t stop the run.  Their defense looked exhausted, even before halftime from AZ's rushing.   2) Dak Dak’ed with a red zone interception late.  I think even McCarthy was scared to let him throw because there’s like 4 mins left, down by 12, and Dallas is running it on 1st and 2nd and goal.  Cowboys pass D did alright without Diggs besides that one play where it looked like the receiver snuck in off the sidelines because that’s how open he was.  I’d expect Bellicheat to emulate the run heavy approach next week with Stevenson, plus Zeke’s revenge opportunity.

Now let’s see if the Eagles can complete the golden sombrero for the NFC East with a loss also.  Eagles are 0-4 against TB in the last 10 years  lol  I’m picking the Eagles to win, but it’s not a game I’d bet. 

Edited by kinnyman
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I mean, Dallas, come on... what?!  The score made it look worse than it was, but losing to the hapless Cards?  Wow.  

That's Dallas for you.

I have no love for the Cowboys, but their fans do, and few teams have given so little to their fans over the past 25 or so years than the Cowboys. No one snatches defeat from the jaws of victory quite like them.

And speaking of snatching defeat, the Vikings fans have now TWICE seen a receiver miss a throw at the endzone, only to get an interception. Kirk Cousins has his problems, but they're only amplified by that nonsense.

23 hours ago, djb5f said:

Zach Wilson hasn't been good, but he's not the only problem that offense has.  He may not even be the biggest problem they have.  And it's a set of problems that won't be solved by bringing in another mediocre quarterback who is a statue in the pocket; Wilson absolutely holds the ball too long and doesn't read defenses well, but those aren't things solved by those two guys.

It's probably "Kirk Cousins or bust" at this point.  Even so, the offensive line is inept, the playcalling is dubious at best, and the running game isn't giving them any help -- though the last might be a consideration that teams are loading up the box and daring Zach Wilson to beat them with his arm.

Kansas City next week and the Eagles two weeks after that.  Unless they beat Denver in Denver, they're going to be 1-5 headed into their bye.

1 hour ago, acasser said:

Zach Wilson hasn't been good, but he's not the only problem that offense has.  He may not even be the biggest problem they have.  And it's a set of problems that won't be solved by bringing in another mediocre quarterback who is a statue in the pocket; Wilson absolutely holds the ball too long and doesn't read defenses well, but those aren't things solved by those two guys.

It's probably "Kirk Cousins or bust" at this point.  Even so, the offensive line is inept, the playcalling is dubious at best, and the running game isn't giving them any help -- though the last might be a consideration that teams are loading up the box and daring Zach Wilson to beat them with his arm.

Kansas City next week and the Eagles two weeks after that.  Unless they beat Denver in Denver, they're going to be 1-5 headed into their bye.

I was mostly joking about those guys off the street, esp. Wentz who hadn’t been any good in years.  But the Jets have to do something I think.   If nothing else, are some point, the backup I forget his name, will get a shot.  The Jets OL is bad but there are talented playmakers and the defense is good if it stays motivated (it won’t with Wilson at QB).  If you lose to Denver, you might as well tank another year and hope to get a good draft.

Broncos vs. Bears this weekend.  These might be the two worst teams in the NFL.  Someone has to win.  Ok maybe a tie.    

10 hours ago, djb5f said:

I was mostly joking about those guys off the street, esp. Wentz who hadn’t been any good in years.  But the Jets have to do something I think.   If nothing else, are some point, the backup I forget his name, will get a shot.  The Jets OL is bad but there are talented playmakers and the defense is good if it stays motivated (it won’t with Wilson at QB).  If you lose to Denver, you might as well tank another year and hope to get a good draft.

The Jets do have to do something.  But it's not just changing the QB.  Even if you get a QB who can quickly read defenses and make the right plays and the right throws, it's probably not enough.  The Jets are stubbornly running an Aaron Rodgers offense instead of tailoring things to what Zach Wilson does do well or should do well.  They started out with one of those "more intelligent" playcalls on Sunday when the first play from scrimmage was a quick WR screen to Garrett Wilson; Wilson slipped making his cut and they only gained 1 yard, and that was pretty much the end of that idea for the entire day.

If Zach Wilson is going to be successful, he needs quick, easy throws like that to build his confidence and to get the ball into the hands of his playmakers.  But he also needs a running game to take some pressure off him.  And he needs some time to throw, either from the offensive line doing it's (expletive deleted) job or because they start doing things like roll-outs and moving pockets and maybe even some read option.  Throwing the ball deep every so often to get the safeties to back off a bit would also help, but that's hard to do when the defense is in his face all day and blitzing as constantly as New England did; there simply isn't time for those plays to develop.

And as to comments from Joe Namath?  Please, old man, stop wandering into your backyard in your bathrobe shaking your fist at the sky and screaming incoherently.  You haven't been relevant in decades, and the sports world would have been done a favor if you had been "cancelled" by the Suzy Kolber incident all those years ago the way it would work had that happened in the past few.  Your opinion is about as relevant and accurate as all those clowns, whether that circus is talk radio or whether that circus are the "roundtable" shows on networks like ESPN.

On 9/24/2023 at 5:57 PM, Matto_lsi said:

On 9/24/2023 at 6:15 PM, djb5f said:

Cowboys will have to adapt to losing Diggs for the season, perhaps the best cornerback in the league or at least very much in the conversation.  Came out flat today.  Missing 3 starting OL today was a mess but hopefully that won’t be long-term.  I think the Cowboys/Patriots will be pretty close.  

And the Dolphins just scored again.  

This is how I saw this game playing out.  I didn't see much in the Pats first few games to think they could stroll into Dallas and compete anyway, but after a loss like that to the Cards, the Cowboys wanted blood.  And blood they got.  Quite the stomping today, and the game isn't even over yet!

5 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

This is how I saw this game playing out.  I didn't see much in the Pats first few games to think they could stroll into Dallas and compete anyway, but after a loss like that to the Cards, the Cowboys wanted blood.  And blood they got.  Quite the stomping today, and the game isn't even over yet!

Butt kicking indeed.  Mac Jones looking Zach Wilson-like.  Cowboys at Niners next week.  SF looking like the best team in the NFL to date.  

The Chiefs won. A win is a win, but I’m not happy about it. Was messy as hell and the team seemed totally lost for much of the game. 

31 minutes ago, skidmarkgn said:

I turned on the Sunday night game about 5 minutes ago and they've already mentioned Taylor fucking Swift about 15 times already.  Chiefs games are already border-line unwatchable and this is gonna easily push it right over the edge.

Most people don’t care. They just think we should.

9 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I turned on the Sunday night game about 5 minutes ago and they've already mentioned Taylor fucking Swift about 15 times already.  Chiefs games are already border-line unwatchable and this is gonna easily push it right over the edge.

I had most of what little of the pregame I watched on mute because I can't stand the Taylor Swift crap.  It's nothing against Swift personally -- I have a very low opinion of Hollywood and pop culture these days in general, not just her -- but I prefer sports to be my escape from all the garbage out in the world, whether politics or culture or what-have-you.

And this whole "romance" thing with Travis Kelce?  I already had problems with Kelce and some of the stuff he pushes, as if he's trying to turn himself into a knock-off Rob Gronkowski.  Gronk was also a guy I'd want to shove in front of a speeding subway train even if he had bits and pieces of the Peyton Manning/Shaquille O'Neal "aw shucks" self-deprecating personality that makes it more palatable (because those guys don't take themselves seriously).  But Kelce takes it to the n'th degree.

9 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

The Chiefs won. A win is a win, but I’m not happy about it. Was messy as hell and the team seemed totally lost for much of the game.

I thought the officiating was very uneven, to the point where it influenced the outcome by not offering the Jets another chance to tie/win that they should have had.  But the Chiefs deserved to win that game anyhow.  I'm happy with the effort, I'm unhappy with the officials, but when was the last time that most any of us were happy with the officiating?

And teams like the Chiefs get the benefit of the calls.  That's how it works in professional sports, that the superstar players and the good teams get that benefit of the doubt.

13 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

I turned the sound off when they started explaining every single penalty in the simplest way possible, most likely for the  swiftie bandwagoners.

Edited by majob

There's a lot of weird shit going on in the league right now. And the shitty officiating isn't really helping much! Also don't get why crap QBs keep getting tons of money. Obviously Burrow, Watson, and Jones have done zero to deserve their high dollar contracts. Before anyone gets on my tail about it, I don't think Mahomes is worth the money we give him, either, but I can understand it since he's won two rings.

Edited by MidnightDragon

4 hours ago, MidnightDragon said:

There's a lot of weird shit going on in the league right now. And the shitty officiating isn't really helping much! Also don't get why crap QBs keep getting tons of money. Obviously Burrow, Watson, and Jones have done zero to deserve their high dollar contracts. Before anyone gets on my tail about it, I don't think Mahomes is worth the money we give him, either, but I can understand it since he's won two rings.

I'm cutting Burrow some slack because the Bengals are making him play while he's hurt since they're more concerned with selling tickets than ensuring he stays healthy

On 10/2/2023 at 5:37 AM, acasser said:

And teams like the Chiefs get the benefit of the calls.  That's how it works in professional sports, that the superstar players and the good teams get that benefit of the doubt.

Just like the no-call last night on Geno.  Someone drags Mahomes down out of bounds like that and every flag in the building would fly.

He's the new Brady.  So don't expect too many calls not to go his way.  The Jets got royally screwed Sunday.  It was as bad as CIN  got screwed in the AFC champ game last year.  I'm really starting to think the league is fixed stuff has a lot of merit.  I don't mean scripted, but definitely seems refs try to control the outcomes and spreads to kill momentum, take away points, give teams 2nd chances on drives by throwing their little yellow bean bags or pretending they don't exist.  Don't think it happens every game, but some games seem blatant.  Not a good look for the NFL partnering with a sports book either.  I think the Eagles game was fixed Sunday for them not to cover because there were a ton of flags in the 1st half on the Eagles that extended WAS drives or killed Eagles' drives.  Ticky tack bs too.  And it was Ron "run 3rd down twice" Torbert

And Taylor Swift seems to have brought more young viewers to the league than that slime time Nickelodean shit ever did.  Maybe she'll reconsider being the half time show at the superbowl now, and if the Chiefs are in it again, Kelce will propose after the game.  Then they'll have the wedding at the draft or some nonsense.   I don't even know why i watch this shit anymore or even care.  It's becomming a WWE level soap opera with blatantly fixed outcomes.

Edited by kinnyman
  • Like 1