National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

Alright, so last year when I watched Thursday games (the only games I can watch live, as I have Prime, but no cable tv, and no antenna reception in the weird valley I live in) there was always a giant banner on the home screen to make it easy to turn on the game.  This year, no banner.  So now I have to search.  Unfortunately 'NFL', 'TNF', 'Thursday Football', 'Football', etc... yield no results.  I can only search by the team names, which means I have to know who is playing, but even so, I still get over 5000 results, and the game itself is down around the 20th result. Sooooo....

My question is, does anyone else still see the banner for the game or is this Amazon trying to lose as many viewers as possible?  Maybe its because I've been tuning in late, as I usually don't get a chance to start watching until around the second quarter, but that hasn't changed since last year. If it's a setting I changed without meaning to, how do I change it back? 

On 10/3/2023 at 11:58 AM, skidmarkgn said:

Just like the no-call last night on Geno.  Someone drags Mahomes down out of bounds like that and every flag in the building would fly.

I hate that type of tackle.  That’s how the 49ers broke Tony Pollard’s leg in the playoff game last year.  Changed the dynamic and possibly outcome of that game.

16 minutes ago, Matto_lsi said:

Alright, so last year when I watched Thursday games (the only games I can watch live, as I have Prime, but no cable tv, and no antenna reception in the weird valley I live in) there was always a giant banner on the home screen to make it easy to turn on the game.  This year, no banner.  So now I have to search.  Unfortunately 'NFL', 'TNF', 'Thursday Football', 'Football', etc... yield no results.  I can only search by the team names, which means I have to know who is playing, but even so, I still get over 5000 results, and the game itself is down around the 20th result. Sooooo....

My question is, does anyone else still see the banner for the game or is this Amazon trying to lose as many viewers as possible?  Maybe its because I've been tuning in late, as I usually don't get a chance to start watching until around the second quarter, but that hasn't changed since last year. If it's a setting I changed without meaning to, how do I change it back? 

Yeah, the banner is still prominent for me at the top of Amazon Prime.  Can’t miss it.   Odd that it isn’t there for you. 

Edited by djb5f

13 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

It's not even a banner for me, 90% of the home screen is the Thursday night game when it's on.

Wow... just wow.  I was hoping for a game with no serious injuries, wasn't even worried about the win.  I could have taken an L, it's only week 5, no team has ever lost a chance at the post-season in week 5.  But I was expecting a hard fought battle, with a close final score.  Whoever won would get bragging rights until the near inevitable post-season matchup... again.  But 42-10?  And that was within the first minute of the 4th quarter.  The score could have easily been 56-10 by the end if the Niners hadn't pulled out 90% of their starters on both sides of the ball.  That was unbelievable.  What a great showing for Purdy on a Primetime game that the whole country gets to watch.  A statement win if I've ever seen one.  And he threw for 4 TDs, holy crap!  That dude was an absolute steal!  I don't understand how no one else selected him before the very last pick of the draft.  It's mind boggling.

You mean beating the Giants, (Rodgers-less) Jets and Patriots and losing to the Cardinals wasn't quite enough to label a team as one of the greats!!  I'm shocked!!  Schedule is everything and Dallas' has been pretty sad until today.  Honestly, potential team-crushing injuries aside can we just fast forward the NFC to the inevitable 49ers/Eagles championship game and be done with it?  The conference really has nobody else, outside of maybe Detroit, who's gonna be competitive with those 2.

Wow, just wow. Week 5, and clearly the east is NOT the best division in football: WAS and NYG stinks, DAL played four weak teams and got crushed with the entire 4th quarter as garbage time... Overrated? Maybe Dak "turnover-machine" Prescott should learn something from Brock.

Oh, and Sean Payton is a fluke by the way... Just shut your mouth and coach man.

I haven’t been very happy with the way the Chiefs have played this season. Tonight did nothing to help that. Something just seems off with Mahomes, like he’s not all there mentally. Should’ve easily slaughtered the Jets and Broncos, but that wasn’t the case. The record isn’t a good reflection of reality.

Jets should’ve run out the clock and set up a last second chip shot FG to win.  

Now, they have to stop the Eagles with 1:46 left and 2 timeouts left.

Either way, the Jets have beaten the Bills, played the Chiefs to the wire (ok, who hasn’t) and now a chance to beat the last unbeaten in Philadelphia.  They got annihilated by Dallas but it happens.  

EDIT - And bye-bye Eagles.  No more unbeatens.  Just goes to show the NFL is still a week-to-week league and proclamations in October are a bit silly.  No question that SF has looked the best this young season but they looked like complete dog poop against a middling Cleveland team with a backup journeyman QB.

Edited by djb5f

1 hour ago, djb5f said:

Jets should’ve run out the clock and set up a last second chip shot FG to win. 

The Jets couldn't run out the clock in that situation.  Even if they simply took a knee three times, Philly had two time-outs and their worst case scenario was getting the ball back with a minute to play (roughly) and only needing a FG to win.  And with a kicker good enough that the Eagles might only have needed to get ~35 yards in that minute to give him a decent chance.

EDIT:  Let alone the possibility that if the Jets tried that, the voodoo curse that's followed them around longer than I've been alive would have resulted in Greg Zeurlein doinking the kick off the upright.

Double EDIT:  As I mentioned to my mother -- who was in the La-Z-Boy eight feet away from me while I watched this game on the big screen TV with the HD broadcast -- the Jets and Eagles have been playing one another since before my older brother was born.  This is the first time the Jets have won a regular season matchup with the Eagles.  (Spoiler alert:  My older brother's 50th birthday is just over three months away.)

I understand the logic behind that point of view.  But I believe the Jets played that the right way; take the TD and force the Eagles to march 75 yards for the equivalent score even if they had more time and more time-outs to work with.

We saw the good and the bad of the Jets defense today.  They continue to have issues with mobile QBs, especially when those QBs break containment.  And they're vulnerable to "chunk plays", especially when their tackling gets sloppy -- e.g., the long catch-and-run by A.J. Brown.  But we also saw that they're opportunistic on the turnovers, and they're deep enough on the defensive line that they can rush the QB relentlessly.

Triple EDIT:  The Jets' defense also adjusts *extremely* well at halftime.  I suppose credit for that goes to the DC.

I am gobsmacked that the Jets got through the early gauntlet of their schedule and made it to their bye at 3-3.  Even with all the injuries, even with having faced a slate of QBs who can escape and whose running ability can make defenses look silly (Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Patrick Mahomes, Russell Wilson, Jalen Hurts).  They're getting just enough out of their offense and Zach Wilson has progressed from "dear God, what is that thing" to being an okay-ish quarterback; he still takes too many sacks, but he's stopped forcing balls into coverage (excepting the Dallas game when they were losing 98-3) and he's doing much better taking the short passes and actually connecting on them.

I don't know if Nathaniel Hackett or Aaron Rodgers deserves the credit for Zach Wilson's improvement this season, but somebody is doing something right.  And maybe Hackett wasn't the problem in Denver.

Edited by acasser

5-1. What a feeling and arguably the only tough games left are against the Ravens and Cowboys. Lions could make a deep run this year.

And thank you Jets for beating the Eagles, by far the most annoying fanbase I've ever had to deal with outside of the Packers

• Like 1

18 hours ago, majob said:

5-1. What a feeling and arguably the only tough games left are against the Ravens and Cowboys. Lions could make a deep run this year.

And thank you Jets for beating the Eagles, by far the most annoying fanbase I've ever had to deal with outside of the Packers

Gotta say, of all the non-Seahawk teams in the NFC Detroit is the one I'm pulling for the most... which is saying something considering who their QB is, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

ROUGH day for officiating yesterday.  Capped off by a 10/0  penalty ratio in the Dolphins - Eagles game.  Tough to take the legitimacy of the sport seriously when a game like that happens. 

The officiating has been a joke since sports betting was legalized if we're  being honest

3 hours ago, majob said:

The officiating has been a joke since sports betting was legalized if we're  being honest

Sports betting may make lousy/lopsided officiating seem like it's being done with sinister motives in mind.  But the officiating would suck even without it, and it would probably impact games even without it, even if craptacular officiating might not swing the final outcomes of many games.

35 minutes ago, acasser said:

Sports betting may make lousy/lopsided officiating seem like it's being done with sinister motives in mind.  But the officiating would suck even without it, and it would probably impact games even without it, even if craptacular officiating might not swing the final outcomes of many games.

Sports betting, fantasy, the current general mindset of a 77-63 point game being "amazing" *blech*, a rule book that's WAY too thick, a ref's Union (although I could easily just be projecting my MLB frustration with that one)... I'm sure everything except for actual player safety is a contributing factor to the current state of NFL officiating.

7 hours ago, skidmarkgn said:

ROUGH day for officiating yesterday.  Capped off by a 10/0  penalty ratio in the Dolphins - Eagles game.  Tough to take the legitimacy of the sport seriously when a game like that happens. 

Missed a blatant face mask (interference) on the 4th down play in the red zone, probably cost the Dolphins 7 points.  And how about this tackle (hold) by Philly OL.

https://x.com/_MLFootball/status/1716260956278288826?s=20

Refs were probably afraid of the hooligan fans at the Linc.

I don't even know what to say about the Niners.  Full on, utter collapse.  Wtf happened?!?  And don't say injuries, cause most teams aren't nearly as stacked, and have worse injuries and are still managing to beat teams the same caliber as the Browns and Vikings.  I thought this was going to be a good year, and fully expected the Niners to lose a few close games along the way, but this is awful.  No longer looking forward to that Eagles rematch, it'll probably be a repeat of last year's bloodbath.

2 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

I don't even know what to say about the Niners.  Full on, utter collapse.  Wtf happened?!?  And don't say injuries, cause most teams aren't nearly as stacked, and have worse injuries and are still managing to beat teams the same caliber as the Browns and Vikings.  I thought this was going to be a good year, and fully expected the Niners to lose a few close games along the way, but this is awful.  No longer looking forward to that Eagles rematch, it'll probably be a repeat of last year's bloodbath.

Relax LOL.  The Browns defense is arguably the best in the NFL.  The Vikings are too talented to be 3-4.  All of their losses have been by a score and they've been because of turnovers.  The Niners are still 5-2.

8 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Good teams have bad games.  Brady had a 3-38 loss to the Saints and still won the Super Bowl. No team is going to win them all, unless you're the 72 Dolphins

20 hours ago, grimydawg___ said:

Relax LOL.  The Browns defense is arguably the best in the NFL.  The Vikings are too talented to be 3-4.  All of their losses have been by a score and they've been because of turnovers.  The Niners are still 5-2.

Browns are the best defense?  By which rankings?  The ones I just looked at barely had them in the top 10 at best, and the hapless Colts just dropped 38 points on them.  And Vikings at previously 2-4 have an ok talent pool, and that was before Justin Jefferson was injured.  No, these teams are not that talented.  Good teams don't lose to these teams, whether it be by a single score or a pile of them.  The Niners offense these last 2 weeks looks very different than the first 5, and it's not by a small margin.  I hope I'm wrong and they turn it around, but this reminds me of 09 Broncos who started 6-0 and then lost almost every game the remainder of the season.

15 hours ago, majob said:

Good teams have bad games.  Brady had a 3-38 loss to the Saints and still won the Super Bowl. No team is going to win them all, unless you're the 72 Dolphins

Wasn't that a 12-4 Drew Brees led Saints team that shared a division with the Bucs?  Not exactly the same thing.  Like I said, I expected a few losses, undefeated never crossed my mind, but losing to bad teams is still bad.  And the Browns with a back-up QB and a slightly above average defense, and a mediocre Vikings team without their star WR aren't exactly the losses you want or expect.  Especially not after the way they handled the Cowboys.  But watching their offense these last 2 games was like watching a completely different team than the first 5 weeks.  That's what's worrying.

12 hours ago, Matto_lsi said:

Browns are the best defense?  By which rankings?  The ones I just looked at barely had them in the top 10 at best, and the hapless Colts just dropped 38 points on them.  And Vikings at previously 2-4 have an ok talent pool, and that was before Justin Jefferson was injured.  No, these teams are not that talented.  Good teams don't lose to these teams, whether it be by a single score or a pile of them.  The Niners offense these last 2 weeks looks very different than the first 5, and it's not by a small margin.  I hope I'm wrong and they turn it around, but this reminds me of 09 Broncos who started 6-0 and then lost almost every game the remainder of the season.

Wasn't that a 12-4 Drew Brees led Saints team that shared a division with the Bucs?  Not exactly the same thing.  Like I said, I expected a few losses, undefeated never crossed my mind, but losing to bad teams is still bad.  And the Browns with a back-up QB and a slightly above average defense, and a mediocre Vikings team without their star WR aren't exactly the losses you want or expect.  Especially not after the way they handled the Cowboys.  But watching their offense these last 2 games was like watching a completely different team than the first 5 weeks.  That's what's worrying.

I'm quite sure they are 1st in completion%, passing yards and first downs, and I remember that during the niners game there was plenty of 1st place stats (but americans love to "create" stats for everything just for bragging rights).

I'm ok with the browns L, despite the refs messing both teams... I'm NOT ok with the Vikings L no matter what.