Am I seriously the only one who thinks 'The Goat Simulator' is a terrible game?

ZachBoardyHD

I have had fun for the most part. I didn't at first realize it was suppose to be buggy but once I did It didn't bother me. I think the game is quite hillarious. Saying all that it has lost the fun factor for me because of the stupid Flappy goat game. I have been trying on and off for 3 days now and can't get no more than 4 points. I have read peoples tips and all and it isn't doing me no good.

So it was fun at first but now I am starting to hate it.

• Like 1

I have had fun for the most part. I didn't at first realize it was suppose to be buggy but once I did It didn't bother me. I think the game is quite hillarious. Saying all that it has lost the fun factor for me because of the stupid Flappy goat game. I have been trying on and off for 3 days now and can't get no more than 4 points. I have read peoples tips and all and it isn't doing me no good.

So it was fun at first but now I am starting to hate it.

That was my experience with it, Flappy Goat is a nightmare and the determination to get the trophy soured my enjoyment.  3 hrs it took me, but I must admit, after the trauma had passed, I do smile about the 'game' again.  I feel your pain though...

For those that might think they've wasted money on the game, and I do appreciate it's not for everyone, at least it didn't break the bank.  I can think of quite a few games that I've dropped up to AAA full price money on, that value wise, are far worse than anything the Goat might be guilty of.   

You think it's terrible and *still* put in 4 hours?!

My thoughts? You don't have to keep playing and probably should have stopped when the very first notion of "this is terrible" crossed your brain. I think it looks hilarious, but have no intention of playing. I'll just watch the videos to get my fill.

The first notion that it's terrible should have occurred BEFORE spending a red cent on the game. The title "Goat Simulator" is a preeeeeetty strong indicator the game is a steaming pile of shit and none of the gameplay videos will ever convince me otherwise.

Nup, nup and...nup. Paying money for this game is tantamount to supporting half-arsed game development. Touting "bugs" and "glitches" as a "feature" doesn't excuse this one-trick-pony abomination.

• 8 months later...

It's not a bad game, as in, it's very playable. I've had minimal glitching, only once did I need to force spawn my goat. (i find it hilarious that they included this as a feaure) I had fun platting this, except maybe for the infamous flappy goat crap. The game is also filled with references to a bunch of weird stuff, like Nnja Turtles in the sewers.

My complaint is that it wears off too fast and thus becomes boring after a short while. When you've seen both areas it's like, ok already. But the game does not take itself seriously and my roomate and I never laughed so hard haha. I also think a lot of the mutators are useless, as if you're going for plat you'll probably be using angel and feather goat most of the time. I mean, turning into a huge sperm whale or a shopping cart is hilarious, but completely useless.

• Like 1

That was my experience with it, Flappy Goat is a nightmare and the determination to get the trophy soured my enjoyment.  3 hrs it took me, but I must admit, after the trauma had passed, I do smile about the 'game' again.  I feel your pain though...

For those that might think they've wasted money on the game, and I do appreciate it's not for everyone, at least it didn't break the bank.  I can think of quite a few games that I've dropped up to AAA full price money on, that value wise, are far worse than anything the Goat might be guilty of.   

Considering the type of game it is I think it really did break the bank, and ultimately if you're making people pay for a joke then it defeats the purpose. Really don't understand why they're charging for it to be honest, it's just insulting. People pour their heart and soul into making good quality games and sometimes not even ask for a cent (Cave Story, well initially. I don't know who was in charge of the 3DS version) and to see games like this out on the market, especially for this price is an insult.

Of course naturally I got it for the easy Platinum and Flappy Goat can go suck a dick. No seriously BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SHIT doesn't excuse the shitty design involved that actively hampers you from completing it sometimes when it isn't even your fault. 

Haha yeah lol. ^

I can't quite tell, but I think they were trolling trophy hunters with flappy goat. I mean I could design a more playable game on a calculator, there's no way they could have messed up hit detection that bad unless it's just sloppy programming. It's like, hey you want trophies? Here you go, fuckers lol.

While I think the whole "joke simulator" fad has gotten a little out of control (on Steam at least) and this was technically the start of it... there's nothing wrong with the game itself.  It's very upfront with what it offers and anyone who feels they were "burned" by the fact a game called Goat SImulator doesn't have particularly tantalizing gameplay or a functional story... have only themselves to blame.  It came around before the "grass simulators" or "bread simulators" or "job simulators" so it was by no means jumping on the bandwagon.  It was just as likely to to fail as it was to succeed, they took a chance releasing a game where the humor was the most important part and it worked.  Kudos to them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's as much of a game as the Trials series (which I love but suck at).  The difference being that Trials is more difficult and this is more humorous.

Edited by Dreakon13

While I think the whole "joke simulator" fad has gotten a little out of control (on Steam at least) and this was technically the start of it... there's nothing wrong with the game itself.  It's very upfront with what it offers and anyone who feels they were "burned" by the fact a game called Goat SImulator doesn't have particularly tantalizing gameplay or a functional story... have only themselves to blame.  It came around before the "grass simulators" or "bread simulators" or "job simulators" so it was by no means jumping on the bandwagon.  It was just as likely to to fail as it was to succeed, they took a chance releasing a game where the humor was the most important part and it worked.  Kudos to them.

As far as I'm concerned, it's as much of a game as the Trials series (which I love but suck at).  The difference being that Trials is more difficult and this is more humorous.

While I agree with your notion, it most certainly did not come before WTF, Work Time Fun, job simulator for PSP. Which is much, much more amazing than Goat Simulator.

While I agree with your notion, it most certainly did not come before WTF, Work Time Fun, job simulator for PSP. Which is much, much more amazing than Goat Simulator.

Well, I was referring to the more recent Job Simulator game for the Vive (or whatever VR bundle it's in).  I'm sure there were other joke simulator games, no idea is completely original anymore, but I don't think any had the notoriety that Goat Simulator received at the time.

And of course, Goat Simulator is just an over-the-top parody of the "actual" simulators out there, that naturally came before it.  Truck Simulator, Farming Simulator, etc, etc.

Edited by Dreakon13

I liked that game, but it also wore off pretty fast. Plus most of the mini games didn't make enough cash so I always ended up playing the golf one, all to buy stuff like ramen timers haha.

Considering the type of game it is I think it really did break the bank, and ultimately if you're making people pay for a joke then it defeats the purpose. Really don't understand why they're charging for it to be honest, it's just insulting. People pour their heart and soul into making good quality games and sometimes not even ask for a cent (Cave Story, well initially. I don't know who was in charge of the 3DS version) and to see games like this out on the market, especially for this price is an insult.

Of course naturally I got it for the easy Platinum and Flappy Goat can go suck a dick. No seriously BUT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE SHIT doesn't excuse the shitty design involved that actively hampers you from completing it sometimes when it isn't even your fault. 

Each to their own I suppose.   As others have pointed out, I think most that bought the game knew what they were getting into, I've played worse AAA games and had far less enjoyment out of those games over the years than the pi$$ take romp GS was.

Other than fuming at flappy for the particular trophy, I have to say, I had a good laugh with it, and really, that's what counts, for myself anyway...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

lulz at the "it's supposed to be bad" arguments.

I figured it'd be pretty stupid, and when you hop on a bicycle or climb a ladder, or lick a roller coaster that is very much the case. But when you shoot through the floor and get trapped? That's just shit. I expected a stupid game, and a somewhat glitchy one. But, it's actually worse than I thought it would be in regards to glitches and performance. You can make a joke game that actually runs well. No glitches don't make it more stupid, and no they weren't put there "on purpose" so you can't excuse them.

I actually like what it's going for, because there's a lot of interesting interactions in the environment to have. There's quite a bit to do in the two original levels. Shame the more fun mini-game in the game didn't have a trophy instead of the terrible Flappy Goat. Spent about 10 minutes on the other minigame even though I knew there was no trophy related to it. It was pretty fun, though not explained that well so took me awhile to get what was happening.

Still, for $4ish it's not like I didn't get my money's worth of enjoyment. Despite Flappy Goat tiggering me.

Edited by Elvick_

• 3 months later...

I just bought the base game again for like 2,50 for PS4 because goats are awesome and I enjoy the sillyness. Flappygoat isn't even very hard once you find the right tactics. And that's coming from someone who is awful at games where you need good timing and fingerspitzengefuhl. It took me about 15 minutes to get it on PS3 and now it was no more than about 10 minutes worth of attempts on PS4. The DLC is on sale too, might just get that as well. Yes, I like it. But if you don't I can understand why and the best thing to do then is to go play something else.

GS wasn't meant to be a game in the first place, the goat was just a joke to show the physic engine, so theyused a free graphic engine to build something funny. THAT'S the thing you have to accept before even starting the game. graphics and movements of the animals and the ppl in their tracksuits are kind of terrible but that part of the fun.

How it became a game in the end I don't know but I had SO much fun playing it with friends! You musn't take it seriously, the funny ideas especially in the DLCs are awesome. lots of eastereggs^^

• Like 1