PS VR set for oct. at $399.

Daniel_Shadow170

If it's going to be smaller experiences, then the $300 will be a waste. If the game will be VR but with the quality of a tech demo, or simply a PS2 game, then I'm no longer on board.

NeoGAF are reporting that Battlefront from EA will be at launch so that maybe the game to benchmark the PSVR with, no?

lol that'll probably happen at some point. You'll even have a bunch of bosses stopping by and calling you to ask if you got the memo.

Can't wait for the "Murder your boss" DLC. :P

From what I'm reading it won't even work without the camera so add another $60 to the price.

Waits for the inevitable response.

I doubt it, I can't imagine Sony doing an MS this late in the 8 console generation. If it is true, lol.

Brace yourself for a response. 

It requires the Playstation Camera to track the motion movement. I don't know if the camera will be included with the unit though.

It's got a breakout box.

At that price, I know what my Christmas present is going to be! 

I forgot about the processing unit that comes with it (the Wii-sized box). It has an on-board fan, so when there's a need for internal cooling, there's a processor. Sadly, this is just an upscaler/video refresher, and a device that accommodates the reprojection technology that's necessary to produce the 120 fps. Graphical processing is still done within the PS4, so my earlier fears are still very much so real. 

Edited by Paige-ID

Here's some specs I found on one site, rather surprised they weren't even in PlayStation's own blog post about it.

• Display: OLED
  • Screen Size: 5.7-inches
  • Resolution: 1920 X RGB X 1080 (960 X RGB X 1080 per eye)
  • Refresh Rate: 120Hz, 90Hz
  • Sensors: 360 Degree Tracking/9 LEDs
  • Field of View: Approx. 100 Degrees
  • Latency: Less than 18ms
  • Controller: Dualshock 4 and PS Move

Can't wait for the "Murder your boss" DLC. :P

I doubt it, I can't imagine Sony doing an MS this late in the 8 console generation. If it is true, lol.

Brace yourself for a response.

That would be pretty funny, that would probably be a big seller too.

It requires the Playstation Camera to track the motion movement. I don't know if the camera will be included with the unit though.

I also forgot about the processing unit that comes with it (the Wii-sized box). It has an on-board fan, so when there's a need for internal cooling, there's a processor. Sadly, I think this is just an upscaler/video refresher, and a device that accommodates the reprojection technology that's necessary to produce the 120 fps. Graphical processing is still done within the PS4, so my earlier fears are still very much so real.

I don't think the camera will come with it, at least going by PlayStation's blog post about it. They show everything that comes in the box and the camera is not part of it.

Here's the blog post I'm talking about - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-launching-october-for-399/

Edited by BooneIronshield

No mean to be that guy kills hype but.. I just can't forget all the fuss when Vita was introcuded.

Let's wait and see how it goes.

Yeah because the vita was totally new hardware to the game industry  :facepalm:  You cannot compare the two at all. Besides, to me the vita wasn't a disaster at all. 

Be glad that Sony is trying to pioneer on this, rather than make a cheap cash-in model once it has been proven to be successful (*cough* PS Move *cough*)

I in the same boat. I just don't see it. I'll stick with my controllers and once in a blue moon my Move controler.

You'll still use your controllers though. I know that they're showing off with their move controllers (which nobody really likes) but i'm pretty sure a lot of games will be played with a normal controller as well. You just move your screen to a few inches before your eyes :P

I don't think the camera will come with it, at least going by PlayStation's blog post about it. They show everything that comes in the box and the camera is not part of it.

Here's the blog post I'm talking about - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-launching-october-for-399/

Yeah, just confirmed. Does not come with the camera. Oh well.

At the end of the day, this is the only way to get a VR experience like this at under $1000. It isn't the greatest headset (when are console specs ever better than the maxed out PCs at higher price ranges?). I imagine they'll release a full launch lineup around E3, but right now it's a day one buy.

Does that mean I won't be able to move my head around without the camera?

I'm pretty sure it's useless without the camera's position recognition. The camera probably isn't in the box as it's already available and has been bought by consumers, and they want to keep the price as low as possible for the big push. 100% chance of a bundle though. 

• Like 2

Well since its much cheaper than both of the VR things available on PC and since you also need a powerful PC to make them work correctly which not everyone who is in the gaming community has or cares to have I'd say this might as well succeed, at least I hope it does, the important thing that Sony needs to do is just focus on bringing some interesting games for it, if they somewhat manages to combine the cheaper price with interesting and quality games for it then it might not be a commercial failure at all, and even sell better than the PC VR's.

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 2

I'm pretty sure it's useless without the camera's position recognition. The camera probably isn't in the box as it's already available and has been bought by consumers, and they want to keep the price as low as possible for the big push. 100% chance of a bundle though. 

Nice to hear that. Thanks, Saltyie.

You don't need a camera for that, i suppose the camera everyone seems to be talking about is more for tracking your movements with the controllers?

That's actually good news. I don't need a kinect 2 style problem again. 

Yeah because the vita was totally new hardware to the game industry  :facepalm:  You cannot compare the two at all. Besides, to me the vita wasn't a disaster at all. 

Be glad that Sony is trying to pioneer on this, rather than make a cheap cash-in model once it has been proven to be successful (*cough* PS Move *cough*)

The way Sony approach to Vita IS a disaster. 

Virtual Reality thing is popular right now, who can know how it will be in a year or two? IF VR thing sucked, or cant go along with PS4 guess what will happen

• Like 1

Well since its much cheaper than both of the VR things available on PC and since you also need a powerful PC to make them work correctly which not everyone who is in the gaming community has or cares to have I'd say this might as well succeed, at least I hope it does, the important thing that Sony needs to do is just focus on bringing some interesting games for it, if they somewhat manages to combine the cheaper price with interesting and quality games for it then it might not be a commercial failure at all, and even sell better than the PC VR's.

yeah its like the ps2, it had the weakest hardware of its generation and still became the best selling one, some people points out too much about the graphics side but if sony releases good games that will be accepted positively by the gaming community then i don't think its hardware being the weakest will have much impact on its sales

the gaming community in general cares much more about a game being good that a game having bad graphics, sadly there are some exceptions that thinks the opposite but the general gamer prefers a good game with bad graphics rather than a bad game with good graphics.

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 1

Well it's a good thing I already have the camera and a move controller. My computer is alright, I could probably run the Vive if I felt like spending $800 bucks. PS VR seems easy to use and somewhat affordable. I also think that the "smaller" games that they're focusing on are better. It'll be cool to see what weird, unique, indy games come out for it.

With how low end the PS4 specs are (iirc a 7770 with double transistor count because A9 CPU + whatever the box adds), PS4's VR success will probably heavily depend on how well they can use such lowend specs.

I am mostly scared since they said they only have slightly over 230 developers on board right now (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/03/15/playstation-vr-launching-october-for-399/), and there is no word on how hard it is to port code from the other VR setups because Rift has had thousands of dev kits sent out already, and Vive is being backed by Steam which has already created ways to emulate VR for non-VR games, creating a lot of starting content for their users.

And well, I believe Cardboard will evolve into something someday soon (yay cheapest VR).

yeah its like the ps2, it had the weakest hardware of its generation and still became the best selling one, some people points out too much about the graphics side but if sony releases good games that will be accepted positively by the gaming community then i don't think its hardware being the weakest will have much impact on its sales

the gaming community in general cares much more about a game being good that a game having bad graphics.

Graphics in VR are way important for the user compared to a weak console. If the PSVR can't handle a game at a decent frame-rate, people ain't going to be having a good time. 

Graphics in VR are way important for the user compared to a weak console. If the PSVR can't handle a game at a decent frame-rate, people ain't going to be having a good time. 

what i meant about graphics was just in the visual side (textures, lighting, shadows, etc...), i wasn't talking about the resolution/FPS side but yeah obviously the FPS are important on VR, but from what i read about it the FPS will be decent.