PS VR set for oct. at $399.

Daniel_Shadow170

I guess I will wait and observe. The price tag sure seems very nice, but at this point I'm still unsure about the quality of the VR experience and of course, about the games. I can easily see lots of shooters and horror games fitting perfectly on PSVR, puzzle games too. But as I am mostly a JRPG and Platformer gamer, I just can't see myself buying this. But time will tell. :)

Not for me - If you have a life outside videogames you can't put yourself in a position where you can't hear/ see the real world as you play.

Haha that made me think that the best time to rob someone would be while they use PS VR. Finishes game session "hey where's all my stuff".  xD

• Like 2

I don't even have a PS4 yet so I really don't want this right now. It sounds cool and all from what I've heard from people but I don't think I can afford both things at once.

But you're getting your VR trophies now for sure lol. MGS2 VR missions? :hmm:

Edited by Cielle

So it wasn't 999, but 399, my second guess since it had to be an odd number.

Actually, not bad. I expected worse. Even though it is price of PS4 (which you need to actually use it), it's pretty okay.

Cdnj3b6UMAAxn8h.jpg

399 euros =/= 399 USD

It does unfortunately.

After how they treated the PSVita with the memory cards, lack of first party and lack of advertisement. I have no trust with Sony on anything besides the main playstation consoles.

Well, this IS main, because it requires PS4 =D

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Honestly, this doesn't really appeal to me and I'm pretty sure VR is going to disappoint a lot of people and ultimately go the way of Motion Controls and 3D gaming. The cinematic mode does look pretty enticing, I'll admit that, but I'm not going to spend 400€ just because of it. I already have a TV, so I have everything I need to play my PS4 games.

As per usual, Extra Credits explained it better:

• Like 1

While I think that the mentality of "waiting for a price drop" or "waiting for more games" is perfectly acceptable, if you want something to succeed, someone has to buy it initially. If all of us expect other people to go for PSVR and none of us do, it's obviously gonna bomb.

That's exactly what happened to Vita before Sony stopped supporting it.

If we want PSVR to get better and better games, we have to show our support right from the start. (I know this will not be a popular comment, but you know I'm right xD)

Having tried the PSVR at a convention, I wasn't £400 worth of impressed, so no buy from me at this price point.

I'll look to try some more PSVR games in the future though, as I am open to having my mind changed. Hopefully they're planning on some sort of advertising campaign with live demos.

Amazon.co.uk sold out of their PSVR stock in 10 mins...

I think Sony's going to dominate this console cycle even more now. Once Sony starts to market the PSVR in earnest, the general public is going to see PS4 as being the far better investment and as offering far more in the way of gaming experiences. 

Industry estimates put it at only 17M PC's in consumer homes are able to run the Occulus, and slightly fewer are able to run the Vive. Compared to something like 45M PS4s that will be out there by the time the PSVR launches (if current PS4 sales rates continue), so Sony also has the advantage of having the largest potential market.

With fixed hardware specs for developers to work to with PSVR, and the largest potential market for VR games (given the above), it should also be the platform of choice for devs looking to test the VR waters. 

While its still too expensive for my personal tastes, I think Sony is well positioned to sew this up during this console cycle... there's clearly massive demand for this tech.

I blame Sword Art Online for everything.

Seriously though, the one thing that gets me is not the PS VR itself, but everything around it. The camera. The Move controllers. The highly likely chance that they won't sell games physically (less about digital and that I collect, and more about customer confusion e.g. "Wii U is an add on" or that one time my friend didn't know Xenoblade Chronicles 3D won't work on his OG 3DS). They might go full crazy and start making some PS Plus, at which point I can't use them if I don't have a PS VR.

It is coming out in the month roughly closest to the EB Expo here, so I'm hoping I have a chance to try it out then.

Amazon.co.uk sold out of their PSVR stock in 10 mins...

I think Sony's going to dominate this console cycle even more now. Once Sony starts to market the PSVR in earnest, the general public is going to see PS4 as being the far better investment and as offering far more in the way of gaming experiences. 

Industry estimates put it at only 17M PC's in consumer homes are able to run the Occulus, and slightly fewer are able to run the Vive. Compared to something like 45M PS4s that will be out there by the time the PSVR launches (if current PS4 sales rates continue), so Sony also has the advantage of having the largest potential market.

With fixed hardware specs for developers to work to with PSVR, and the largest potential market for VR games (given the above), it should also be the platform of choice for devs looking to test the VR waters. 

While its still too expensive for my personal tastes, I think Sony is well positioned to sew this up during this console cycle... there's clearly massive demand for this tech.

It's amazing to me that we live in a time that we can throw out statistics like "only 17 MILLION gaming PC's (good enough for Occulus)". And 45 MILLION PS4s. I mean people I know bought PS2's to be DVD players with a bonus, people I know bought PS3s *just* to be blu-ray players, but the majority of the PS4's sold have been *mainly* for gaming! I'm still astounded by the reach of a pastime so expensive as console gaming.

A sign of success will be no price drops in the first two years. I'm curious if Sony is going to have some supply constraints at launch. Time will tell.

It's amazing to me that we live in a time that we can throw out statistics like "only 17 MILLION gaming PC's (good enough for Occulus)". And 45 MILLION PS4s. I mean people I know bought PS2's to be DVD players with a bonus, people I know bought PS3s *just* to be blu-ray players, but the majority of the PS4's sold have been *mainly* for gaming! I'm still astounded by the reach of a pastime so expensive as console gaming.

A sign of success will be no price drops in the first two years. I'm curious if Sony is going to have some supply constraints at launch. Time will tell.

Ha, yeah, I know what you mean. The "only" I used was my own, and didn't come from the articles I've been reading (mostly on gamesindustry.biz). I used it because I had expected the number to be larger - I seriously didn't expect Sony to have the largest potential market for it's VR device as compared with PC options, and that's probably down to my own naivety about the PC market. Sorry for any confusion. 

But Sony does look set to dominate with the mass market of more casual gamers and general consumers. The PC crowd tends to be more hardcore from what I can see, and advertising aimed at them is much more online and aimed at them specifically. Sony, offline at least, advertises everywhere and pitches its products as general consumer electronics. It's probably going to generate a lot more "general buzz" in the non-hardcore market than the other two products.

Yeah because the vita was totally new hardware to the game industry  :facepalm:  You cannot compare the two at all. Besides, to me the vita wasn't a disaster at all. 

Be glad that Sony is trying to pioneer on this, rather than make a cheap cash-in model once it has been proven to be successful (*cough* PS Move *cough*)

This is absolutely something to worry about. Are the technologies different? Yes but, if the management/marketing/support is the same as the vita then it may not stand much of a chance.

Technologically the vita isn't a disaster, the support of the device on the other hand is completely different story.