PS VR set for oct. at $399.

Daniel_Shadow170

what i meant about graphics was just in the visual side (textures, lighting, shadows, etc...), i wasn't talking about the resolution/FPS side but yeah obviously the FPS are important on VR, but from what i read about it the FPS will be decent.

Visual graphics are well have to mature along with PSVR. That's one of the reason why the Xbox and PS2 generation was really special to a lot of people. If the graphics are like anything the deep (An upcoming PSVR game) has to offer, I think PSVR will be here for a long time. 

Edited by FlareXV

I'm the only one that is not excited at all for this VR stuff and thinks it's an absolute gimmick?

The day I will give a shit is when it turns out to have either a bunch of easy plats or a Neptunia game, at which point it'll probably be at least a bit cheaper anyway. :P

Edited by Walter-kun

The way Sony approach to Vita IS a disaster. 

Virtual Reality thing is popular right now, who can know how it will be in a year or two? IF VR thing sucked, or cant go along with PS4 guess what will happen

The way Sony tried to salvage the vita can be viewed as disastrous, but it was one piece of hardware. Hardly enough to put everything Sony is announcing into doubt.

Ofcourse if the PSVR bombs, they'll probably take the same approach as they did with the vita - it'll stop being one of their main priorities. But if that's your mindset then you can't be excited for anything anymore. 

Graphics in VR are way important for the user compared to a weak console. If the PSVR can't handle a game at a decent frame-rate, people ain't going to be having a good time. 

The framerate will be locked in at 120 FPS. This is so you don't get motion sickness. Oculus and Vive have it at 90 FPS, but Sony wants to play it safe. However, it won't actually be 120 FPS, but 60 FPS using reprojection technology that puts a frame in between two other frames using half the resources of the surrounding frames, causing a smoother transition. This is what the box is also partially for.

With the framerate being locked in, that means the graphics are going to take a massive hit. Especially considering the fact that the Processing Unit that comes with the VR is just a glorified converter box/processor, while the actual rendering still happens inside the PS4. The PS4 has the equivalent of a Radeon 7850, which on PC is not enough to even start up your VR system. That's what I'm concerned about. Even if it can run the first few "games" pretty well, it feels like the system is already maxed out before it's even out the door.

Hopefully it won't be just a bunch of gimmicky wonderbook games, or just a bunch of visual tech demos/minigames. I want true AAA gaming in VR, and I hope they can turn a hat trick and make it happen. Until then, I wait with caution.

Also, the camera is there to track your head and how it turns. It's 100% essential/necessary.

Edited by Paige-ID

I'm the only one that is not excited at all for this VR stuff and thinks it's an absolute gimmick?

I have almost no interest in this. Too old, not the way I have learned to game over 3+ decades. Could I adapt? Possibly. But I certainly think it is more geared toward the younger crowd.

Which may be the downfall - gaming is no longer geared to just kids. And I suspect the adult crowd (the consumers with the significant disposable income) aren't going to jump at this.

So it could well end up being another flash in the pan.

Wake me up when it's $99.

So Jan 2017? :P

• Like 1

550 in Australia, pretty fucking keen...but you need one of them cameras for PS4 as well, which will fuck me up because I just don't want that. That makes it 650 as well, which sucks ass since I've seen boxed new PS4's selling for 300 bones on their own in stores like it's nothing.

I'm surprised the moves SONY has been making this generation....after the PS3, move, and VITA they have humbled down a lot and not overprice their products like they used to.

In my opinion, I will wait at least 18 months before making the decision to buy one...VR could become their next VITA. 

VR might be something big if people support it. I'm skeptical about it because most "games" that i've seen have been mostly "concepts" and little experiences....I gotta see what the "killer app" is. 

mannysevenDX.png

I'm doubtful I'll be buying it right away. I love the idea of PlayStation VR, and I believe this is a pretty fair price, but I'm not in a financial situation where I'm cozy to drop $400 for an add-on I can use for a library of less than 100 games juuuuuust yet. When we see a bunch of quality PSVR games drop, or if the headset itself gets an official price drop/local deal down the line, THEN I'll probably grab it.

• Like 1