PS VR set for oct. at $399.

Daniel_Shadow170

So given the fact that the PSVR pre-orders are basically sold out everywhere at the moment doesn't say anything at all?

Not necessarily. In fact, companies pull this trick all the time (Nintendo in particular loves it). Sometimes it works well (the Wii got great word of mouth, and became an item that everyone had to have), but sometimes it backfires incredibly (if that word of mouth turns sour, then warehouses full of stock pile up).

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this will fail, and I'm certainly not pulling for it to fail. But just looking at pre-orders means little in the grand scale of things.

Edited by starcrunch061

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that this will fail, and I'm certainly not pulling for it to fail. But just looking at pre-orders means little in the grand scale of things.

It says that the consumer wants a product like this and now it's up to Sony to make something worthwhile. VR isn't DOA like it was predicted even with prices like ranging from 400 - 800$s. And for something that's basically a gimmick, that's saying a lot.

Sure the PSVR could fail, but i'm pretty sure that Sony can't afford that since the competitors are doing really well and VR will become a big market. At least that's where it's heading right now.

It says that the consumer wants a product like this and now it's up to Sony to make something worthwhile. VR isn't DOA like it was predicted even with prices like ranging from 400 - 800$s. And for something that's basically a gimmick, that's saying a lot.

Sure the PSVR could fail, but i'm pretty sure that Sony can't afford that since the competitors are doing really well and VR will become a big market. At least that's where it's heading right now.

Again, not necessarily. Obviously, to take your earlier example, if 15,000 units sell out in 10 minutes, we can conclude that 15,000 people really, really wanted an item. Beyond that? We have no idea. Back in the days of cartridge games, this burned a lot of companies (some went out of business because of it).

For me? I want PSVR to succeed. By the end of this year, I will have been playing console video games for 36 years. That's probably much longer than most people on this site have been alive. And in those 36 years, very little has changed. Sure, graphics have improved, and games have become more sophisticated, but really, the basic structure is exactly the same. VR has the chance to change that. Whether Sony is up to the challenge is another argument entirely, but I would like to see gaming take a giant leap here.

But I'm nervous enough that I'm not going to buy it Day 1 or anything. Rather than hearing that "230 developers" are working on games, I'd like to see the fruits of their work before committing even a (relatively) small amount like $400.

• Like 1

Again, not necessarily. Obviously, to take your earlier example, if 15,000 units sell out in 10 minutes, we can conclude that 15,000 people really, really wanted an item. Beyond that? We have no idea. Back in the days of cartridge games, this burned a lot of companies (some went out of business because of it).

That's the only thing it needs to say, really. It's to make a schets of the potential market of your product.

• 2 months later...

At that price point they better have some badass Triple A games ready to go at launch or I imagine this will end up like the PlayStation Move.

Parker

It can't just end up like PS Move, there are other companies exploring the VR technology, Samsung and HTC, for example. 

comparing move with vr is so stupid .   sorry no offend anyone ! but there are worlds between vr and move.  Vr is not just a gimmik (sry for wrong spelling ) . On ps4 a lot of ppl said its way to expansive and not many will buy it .   Ok Vr is not for everyone, but still it will sell very good .   there is a world between  top or flop ! 

I look forward to seeing naysayers slowly change their tunes...

We can all have opinions and make predictions, here's mine...

PSVR will be here to stay, I think the time is right for this now as gaming has got a little stale with re-master after re-master after re-master.

It will be an incredible experience that tricks the brain, many people will be too 'scared' to play some titles due to this.

The price will not drastically drop (not until PS4K - see edit below) it won't need to as people will be buying it as soon as more are produced.  (pre-order interest confirms this).

I think the scenarios, situations and locations that PSVR will be able to take the gamer to will be amazing, the sky is the limit with this... we can be anyone, doing anything and doing it anywhere, it will be utterly immersive and just get better and better.

October 13th is really not far away and my excitement is off the scale, I am so happy I pre-ordered mine for day one release.

**Edit** 

Last prediction...

We know that PSVR comes with a headset and an external power unit required to power PSVR but In time future buyers of the PS4K console will only need to buy the PSVR headset (which will then be available on its own) as the PS4K will have the additional power required to run PSVR already built into it and this will likely drop the cost of PSVR from $399 down to $299 when it occurs.

This is why the PS4K will have more 'power' under the hood than existing PS4's.

I don't think we need to worry about fragmentation, or PS4K exclusives or anything else like that.

JapanimeGamer

Edited by JapanimeGamer

It can't just end up like PS Move, there are other companies exploring the VR technology, Samsung and HTC, for example. 

Yes, it absolutely can. If Sony don't develop or release compelling games to play with PSVR (like many could argue happened with both Move and Vita) then there would be no reason to pick it up and it would end up like the Move. It doesn't matter how many companies are developing VR technology, if Sony don't release good games for it, it will fail. 

Parker

• Like 3

Yes, it absolutely can. If Sony don't develop or release compelling games to play with PSVR (like many could argue happened with both Move and Vita) then there would be no reason to pick it up and it would end up like the Move. It doesn't matter how many companies are developing VR technology, if Sony don't release good games for it, it will fail. 

Parker

And that is what I have been saying the whole time. 

I worked for Playstation when the Move, 3D Display and Vita came out. At the summer meetings the bosses were all jazzed by it but as soon as it launched the requirements for demos and such dropped and they moved on to other things. Every now and then we would get some POP to put up for a PSPGO or Move sale but it was not overly talked about by anyone at Head Office.

For VR to work they have to come out of the gates swinging and keep that momentum going throughout the years. If they do what they normally do and have a hot first couple of months and then die out in February thinking they can come back in October with a renew pushed...it won't work. This is what happened with the Vita. Out of the gate you had a new Uncharted, Resistance, Gravity Rush, some decent ports but then nothing for months and by the time fall came out people had lost interest. Then they released LBPV (awesome) and a mediocre COD, Batman and Assassin's Creed and after that people were done.

For the move they had a bunch of huge titles (Killzone, Resistance, LBP, Socom) but none of them REQUIRED the move so people never adapted to it. Then the releases dried up and you still got things like Bioshock Infinite or Ninja Gaiden 3 but people played those with a controller so by the time Sorcery or Wonderbook came out the Move was dead (less than 2 years after launch). Heck I remember seeing Until Dawn being played at the summer conference with the Move...oh wait that got delayed and released with the PS4 didn't it?

So let us talk about VR. For VR to be a success and the next step in gaming you need to devote serious time and money to making people want to buy it. So you dedicate a bunch of resources to something but only 100,000 people buy it...but if you had released it as a straight PS4 game maybe a million people would have bought it (and you wouldn't have wasted all the money developing it for VR). So on your next game you make it playable in VR AND regular (much like the Move or 3D) so then the VR people are happy but you can still play it regular. This sends a message to fans that "we don't need to buy VR because the games are still coming out for just PS4'. So then you start having smaller games but are licensed titles hoping to trick the fanboys into buying it (your X-wing or Batman games) well these are alright but like I mentioned on top Wonderbook was a freaking HARRY POTTER GAME WHERE YOU GO TO PLAY AS A WIZARD AT HOGWARTS and people stopped caring because they didn't want to buy a 100$ book to play a game that lasts 2 hours. I actually sold a ton of Wonderbooks because I built it up and mentioned all the things I heard at the summer meetings (that there would be multiple Harry Potter games, Disney was going to start releasing some of their franchises on it etc) but when months went by with no games coming out...people sold their Books and moved on...this will happen with VR as well.

So what am I trying to say? For VR to be successful it will have to have continued support with good and interesting titles. For that to happen it will take a HUGE money commitment from Sony, large amount of loss for a couple of years and your primary console (the one that 32 million own) will have to suffer as you can't waver support from this giant albatross on your neck.

I have made the statement already, you can quote my posts at Christmas 2017 and see if I am correct.

There were tons of people creating 3D TVs as well and that died out.

• Like 1

The PS VR Cannot end up "like" Move. It USES Move... So Move ended up where exactly?

Oh and since Sony kindly didn't point this out to everyone but the Full cost of the VR on release, for most will be 499+$ USD.

You still need to buy the unpackaged PS4 Camera (59.99$), and two Move controllers (~30.00$ EA.).

The PS VR Cannot end up "like" Move. It USES Move... So Move ended up where exactly?

Oh and since Sony kindly didn't point this out to everyone but the Full cost of the VR on release, for most will be 499+$ USD.

You still need to buy the unpackaged PS4 Camera (59.99$), and two Move controllers (~30.00$ EA.).

That's no more LEGO sets for me...

I can see some people being excited for this but I don't see it taking the world by storm.

From gamers I know they just prefer the old fashioned method of sitting with TV and controller, having the real world going off around them (ie having to stop games mid way through to do other things, or watching something at the same time on a laptop or second tv).

This is good if you're on your own and have the opportunity to shut off from the world. I have joked it would be quite amusing that you could have VR on with headphones and someone burgle your house and you not be any the wiser, unless they unplugged your PS4.

Imagine games where you are following guides. VR up, look at next bit, VR down, VR up, look at next bit, VR down etc etc.

I would love to experience VR but I have a feeling that motion sickness would take over rapidly. I already struggle with some 1st person games, 3D games I wouldn't even attempt as even 3D films can strain my eyes.

I hope it does well but I suspect ultimately it will be to a relatively small audience.

• Like 2

Imagine games where you are following guides. VR up, look at next bit, VR down, VR up, look at next bit, VR down etc etc.

Yeah VR will probably be a hassle for completionists one some big games are out that are VR-only. Then again since VR is all about the feeling you're right there, I'd say it's beneficial to pause the games as little as possible anyway.

Screw VR

Yes it's likely (perhaps inevitable) that there will be some VR adult entertainment, but I don't think it will be coming (heheh) to PS4. That's more of a PC thing, I guess.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I went to a PS VR Experience yesterday, managed to try out a few stuff...

Demo of PS VR Worlds: underwater, not interactable. yeah it's fun but thanks to 4D movies in theme parks you really notice it that you're just sitting on a chair when the shark comes, bites on your cage and your chair does not move.

How We Soar: Amazing. Graphics are far enough away from reality to not mind the lesser resolution. This feels like the sort of thing I want to play on VR. Funny since I knew almost nothing about this game and was not excited about it before actually trying it.

Driveclub: the basics are there but things on the horizon are really pixelated. I've been told that this was an early demo and the real game will look much better. I sure hope so, the other two games show me that stuff in the background does not need to look bad but then again neither of those need to match the speed that Driveclub goes for.

Having played it now, I think that for me VR's strong suit will be will be relaxing games that don't need to look realistic - How We Soar, Gary The Gull... Stuff that needs to be a bit realistic but still won't be seen in real life like X-Wing will do fine as well. I'm just not buing the "needs to be real" stuff like a manta ray or Driveclub... yet.

I've also noticed that thanks to watching a lot of 3D and IMAX 3D, I "see" 3D less, the effect is lost on me. It's there but I don't notice it as much as I did back in the day with Avatar and such.

Luckily I've still got a month to make up my mind about VR. It has got a few positive and a few negative points. I will say though that everybody needs to try it for themselves, I think that more than regular gaming this really depends on your own experience with the headset, what works for me might not work for you and the other way around.

Edited by BillyHorrible