New, More Powerful PS4 On The Way?

Parker

Hopefully it's just an upgraded system that can support 4k and make tweaks to games that already exist on PS4.

I'm gonna be super pissed if they make exclusive games for it like Xenoblade on the New 3DS.

Uh.. they more likely will make some games exclusive to it, otherwise it'll have a hard time selling.

I don't really know about this honestly, they should wait until PS5.  Making halfway upgrades in consoles is kind of pointless and in a way kind of punishing us early adopters or people that waited a year or so before getting theirs only to find out a new version with actual improvements other than HDD size is being made..

I see VR being a flop too.. with it's price tag, very few people will be buying it at launch.  It's a gimmick anyways, they have tried to get VR popular before and failed because gamers still went with controller, it'll happen again just like motion gaming last generation.. was popular for a bit but died down.

• Like 2

I remember reading some time ago how the current PS4's could have more power 'freed up' by disabling something or other and SONY were looking into this.

I realllllllllllly hope this is all that it turns out to be.

Oh, and i thought the current PS4 could support 4K anyway?

Sony already unlocked PS4's 7th core in November of last year. 

The PS4 can do 4k at 30 fps, but Sony isn't really supporting any developers running 4k yet. 

May as well stop buying new systems and constantly stay a generation behind. At least that way I'll always get the best of everything.

I understand you. I am on the verge of buying a PS4, since it will finally have new games that I want to play (and not just remasters from games that I can play on my PS3), and the possibility of an slightly upgraded console hits us like it is normal - when obviously it is not. And considering the way Sony treated its new technologies (PSP, PS Vita, PS TV) I would not be so quick to place my money on their VR tech...

If this turns out to be true then Sony officially screwed up. They are basically telling the current PS4 owners "hey, screw you. go buy a PS4.5". I hope at least that it's just an upgrade for VR and 4K and will not impact the overall performance of games (better framerate, better graphics etc) otherwise that would've been a major screw up.

• Like 1

Sony are doing good right now, they should focus their energy on giving their customers what they really want (name changes/folders etc..) to try and build up some loyalty with the players rather than bring out a new console which very few (if anyone??) asked for.

Exactly. No one asked for VR to be honest. The Oculus is already failing on the PC side with the ridiculous price tag. I don't see VR becoming mainstream, so I hope Sony isn't wasting their money on PS4.5.

• Like 1

The thing is, and this might just be what the rumor is about, that the PSVR might include some extra unit for more processing power dedicated to the PSVR. This might be what the rumor is about and it would make sense along with being something that doesn't separate gamers. The question is if this can be used to run other games better, I doubt it, but maybe. The big issue here would be if developers started using this hardware so some non-PSVR games doesn't run without it, because then you essentially got PS4 games that doesn't run on PS4, and it's not because you need PSVR to play it, but to run it. If that makes any sense. Like if they released a new big AAA game, that doesn't actually require PSVR, but you can't play it on your PS4.

It does come with a processing box. This is more of a converter box that ensures the 120 FPS through reprojection, plus it converts the video. The actual graphical processing still goes through the PS4's APU, sadly. 

If it's just VR centric, then I'm not too bothered. I can't say I'm thrilled at the news of the new VR system being released for PS4, I have a feeling it's going to be one of those novelty things that wears off very quickly (like all of Nintendo's gimmicks over the years with the "motion controls" of the Wii, and the 3D of the 3DS). I'm not spending £350 on something I'm likely to get bored of within a week.

If the new PS4 is something like the "New 3DS" however, then I may upgrade eventually, assuming there's any games that apparently only work on the PS4.5 that I want to play.

I don't really see this happening though. And if it does, there's going to be one hell of a shitstorm.

But I haven't yet even jump on the ps4 boat :(

if this BS happen I guess some games under development for current ps4 will get canceled to be a ps4.5.... and guess what! I smell more HD re-re-re-remastered on the way... GTA VR Edition 4K, with including one more new trophy, experience GTA5 via VR! ( ps4.5 exclusive! )

I don't give a shit to this VR crap, man "might ended up like the PS move"... lately a local famous gaming store in where I live announced that the PS VR for ps4 is coming soon to their shelves.. the darn thing cost even more than the ps4 it self.

My first thought was... "Cool, my PS4 is probably going to die in the next year or two anyways with how disgustingly hard the fans have to work just to barely run the games it can now."

My second thought was...

Please, please don't fragment this generation. "This game only plays on the other PS4. I know you have a PS4, but not the right PS4 for this game. You'll need a different PS4. No, that one your pointing out is also the wrong PS4 for this game. What?! Where are you going?"

Edited by Dreakon13

I sure as hell hope all of this is just a rumor and that Sony doesn't do with the PS4 what Nintendo did with the 3DS. One of the major reasons I'm a console gamer and not a PC gamer is the simplicity. If we're going to start having mid-generation upgrades... consoles are going to start being just a Gaming PC for your TV.

But it probably won't happen. I'm guessing Sony saw how little support the New 3DS had and won't be digging themselves into the same hole. They're not that stupid (I think).

• Like 1

Apart from the fact that it comes from Kotaku, there's no way they could make reasonably priced console that supports 4K fully.

At best, consoles reach full 4K with PS6 when 8K will be a thing.

Yeah, that's the thing. The improvement is likely to just make it run games at 1080p@60fps. :P

I like the sound of that, still haven't bought a PS4.

Don't be salty bud :( think of us that already have a ps4, easily the best system from Sony to date and may have to fork a additional 350 dollars for a new one midway through its lifetime.

Be a good dragon and unleash this mighty blow next gen :P

• Like 1

Don't be salty bud :( think of us that already have a ps4, easily the best system from Sony to date and may have to fork a additional 350 dollars for a new one midway through its lifetime.

Be a good dragon and unleash this mighty blow next gen :P

But I need to be salty enough to play Salt & Sanctuary bud :awesome:.

Hope this doesn't burn previous PS4 users.

I was pissed when Nintendo did this to the 3DS......could not play Xenoblade Chronicles....not paying 200 more just to play 1 game.

If the upgrade is like 50-100 for the older users...then sure. Upgradable parts or exchange instore.

Edited by Kishnabe

Yeah, that's the thing. The improvement is likely to just make it run games at 1080p@60fps. :P

Definitely, PC's still struggle to output 4K without spending a lot of money. 

Hope this doesn't burn previous PS4 users.

I was pissed when Nintendo did this to the 3DS......could not play Xenoblade Chronicles....not paying 200 more just to play 1 game.

If the upgrade is like 50-100 for the older users...then sure. Upgradable parts or exchange instore.

I doubt Sony would do this, whenever they bring out a console for new games they change the name / increment the number.  I imagine the PS4.5 (if its real), is abit like the PS3 Slim upgrade, a slightly better performing console with better cooling and a slightly smaller design.